Chapter 3: Darkening Sky

Touch of Death

Trigger Warning: Major character death, implied/referenced suicide


 

It’s been four months since Jungkook has been accepted into the Crimson Starlight clan. Nine months since he became a vampire. Six months since he fell in love.

 

But throughout all those months, he never lost sight of his initial goal. After all, if he wanted to escape, he would have even after Jimin compelled him to stay. But no, if he had left, it would not fulfill his original plan, and he will not fail again. So he stayed, pretending to be a part of the clan, pretending to have accepted and embraced his new vampire nature, pretending that whatever feeling he had developed for Jimin wasn’t love even with their relationship going on, because he knew there was no way this could end nicely. He stayed, and he plotted, remembering his mission: his mother’s last words.

 

“If nothing else, you must survive. Avenge us, my sweet.”

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 

“Come on, Kookie. We gotta get you something special to wear to the festival!” Jimin called, poking his head through the doorway.

 

“Sure, hyung, just give me a moment,” he replied easily, grinning at his lover, before returning to the task at hand. He was shuffling through the papers that mapped out the building where the grand finale of said festival would occur. The Festival of Peace marked the uneasy alliance between the vampire clans and the wolf packs of Busan, celebrated every fall equinox. It was to symbolize the sunset, since werewolves and vampires ruled the twilight, as the nights after the equinox became longer and the days became shorter.

 

“When you’re done, come to my room, okay?” Jungkook mumbled an agreement as he turned his attention to the blueprint of an abandoned warehouse once more, going over his plan in his head to make sure nothing will go wrong. He only has one shot at this, and he couldn’t afford to mess it up. Sighing, he put the papers back under his mattress (thank goodness Jimin trusted him enough to not search his room), the slight shift showing a flash of silver, before he let the mattress fall back into place.

 

He popped his head into the adjacent room moments later, greeted by the sight of a very frustrated Jimin standing in front of a mirror with various articles of clothing scattered on the bed.


“Kookie!” Jimin’s eyes lit up as they fell on him and he quickly scurried over with two suits in his hands, holding both up for him to see. “Which one do you think I should wear?”

 

Jungkook eyed the articles of clothing with mild interest, mind too preoccupied with his plan to pay the older vampire much attention. To him, the suits did not look much different, except that one was dark blue with small blooming hyacinths on the pocket. It wasn’t the entire stalk, but rather just a cluster of the flowers, the lighter blue contrasting the suit’s hue. The other one was all black, on the contrary, though the style was the same as the previous save for the flowers, which was a single white moonflower.

 

“This one,” he gestured vaguely at the black suit. “It’ll look good on you. Besides, the flower’s shaped like a star, which kinda fits with our clan’s name. Y’know, Starlight, and all.”

 

Jimin nodded thoughtfully. “Hmm, you’re right.” He set down the azure suit, hanging the black one up on the free standing mirror as he reached in to rummage in his closet.

 

A few moments later, he emerged with yet another suit, and Jungkook was starting to wonder where he got all of them, and whether his closest was just a secret gateway to a clothing’s store.

 

This new suit was also black, style almost matching Jimin’s save for the twin tuberoses that were bunched together and sewn rather than pinned onto the material.

 

“This one’s yours,” he explained, holding it against Jungkook to see how it would look. He must have looked good enough, for the other vampire nodded to himself in satisfaction and shoved the entire suit into his hands, along with a pair of dress shoes. “Go get dressed, okay? The festival starts soon, and I don’t want to miss it.”

Jungkook obliged and went back to his room with the attire, getting dressed quickly. He slipped the silver stake into the jacket’s inside pocket, grabbing his phone off the nightstand in the corner. The vampire spared a glance around the room, before leaving it and going downstairs. His gaze lingered briefly on his rose above the fireplace, but decided against bringing it with him. He would have no use for it, if tonight went smoothly. It would be the last night he would live as a vampire.

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 
 

The abandoned streets at the outer edges of Busan have been transformed.

 

Colourful streamers hung from the various broken power cables, lanterns have been put up in strategic places to make the district seem brighter, and the air was filled with pleasant chatter amongst both species present. Jimin glanced around excitedly, at the various stalls that sold different objects and trinkets, and the small tents that had been set up for musicians to perform. He thought he saw a werewolf quartet playing a jazz piece earlier, but he couldn’t be sure exactly.

 

“Isn’t it so pretty?” he sighed dreamily, leaning against Jungkook’s arm. The younger vampire had started to come to terms with his brazen displays of affection in public, and Jimin was grateful that he no longer pushed him away when he became too clingy.

 

Jungkook made a noise of affirmation, glancing around as well to take in their surroundings, before his eyes landed upon one of the bigger warehouses in the area.

 

“That’s where all the vampires are supposed to meet after the festival,” Jimin took it upon himself to explain. “The wolf packs tend to convene somewhere else, but us vampires always take to buildings.”


“I know, Seok - Yoongi hyung told me,” Jungkook replied. Jimin frowned at the stutter. He had been about to say a name other than Yoongi’s, Jimin was sure, but he decided not to comment on it for the moment.

 

The pair were walking past a stall selling antique clocks when Jungkook stopped abruptly.

 

“Hyung, I think I just saw someone I know. Stay here, okay? I’m going to go say hi.” Without waiting for a reply, the younger vampire ran off.

 

Jimin narrowed his eyes after his fading figure. Liar. Do you seriously think I wouldn’t be able to tell a lie apart from the truth after living with you for nearly ten months?


He said nothing, however, as Jungkook vanished from his sight.

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 

 

The younger vampire wove through the crowd, dodging the mingling creatures as he headed towards the warehouse, seeking the person in the shadows. He hadn’t been lying, exactly, when he told Jimin that he saw someone he knew; the blond vampire hunter in front of him was certainly an acquaintance of his.

 

“Jin hyung, everything set?” Jungkook asked, sparing no time for formalities.

 

“Inside the warehouse? I sent Hoseok and Taehyung in half an hour ago, so the flares are definitely in place. I managed to hack into the electric system so I should be able to lock the whole place once you’re ready,” Seokjin informed him. “You vampires are high maintenance, aren’t you? Your leaders replaced every exit with automatic locks right before the festival for security purposes.”

 

“And the trigger?” Jungkook pressed.

 

“Here.” Seokjin produced a small black box with a single button on it. “The signal is transmitted instantaneously, so you might want to get out of there before you press it. The range is well over five kilometers, so I wouldn’t worry about the distance. Send me a text when you need the system to lock, alright?”


“I got it. Thanks hyung,” the vampire said as he took the remote. “One more thing.”

 

Seokjin looked at him curiously, pausing in the middle of putting all of his fancy gadgets away. “Yes?”

 

“I know that you care about Yoongi hyung. I don’t want him getting hurt either, he has nothing to do with all this. If you can…get him out of there as soon as possible. And be prepared to run.”

 

The hunter made a gesture of understanding. “Thanks for the warning. And Jungkook? Good luck. I hope you know what you’re doing.”


Jungkook nodded his farewell. Clutching the black box to his chest, he made his way back into the crowd.

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 

“And thus, our ancestors decided to cease the endless warring, and made peace instead with the wolves. We are all here today to celebrate that peace, and our newfound alliance with the packs.” Hakyeon raised his glass in a toast, repeating the same speech all clan leaders were required to make each year. The other vampires cheered with him, their glasses full of some sort of dark red liquid that was certainly not wine.

 

“Wow, do you guys have to sit through that every year? How do you manage to not want to claw your ears out?” Jungkook wondered, yawning in boredom.

 

When the younger had rejoined him earlier, Jimin noted that he was more or less back to normal, his previous behaviour disappearing completely. Still, he felt that there was definitely a strange air around him, a sign that something bad would happen soon, and Jimin trusted his instincts. No matter how nonchalant Jungkook wanted to act around him, Jimin would not let his guard down.

 

About twenty minutes into the speech of another clan leader, Jungkook left his seat with the muttered excuse of wanting fresh air, slipping a piece of paper into his hands as he passed him almost haltingly, as if he was hesitant about giving him the note. Yoongi had long since made his own escape, but it was typical of him to leave the festival early each year; social gatherings of any kind were not exactly his forte.


Jimin unrolled the crinkled paper curiously, barely able to make out the words from Jungkook’s scrawled writing.

 

Get out of the building. And run as far away as you possibly can.

 

 

The vampire tensed in his seat, sensing confused murmurs beside him but paying them no mind. He just knew the younger had something planned. Jimin was about to leave to go find Jungkook when the speech suddenly cut off with no clear reason. The entire room was plunged into silence, and in the deathly stillness, it wasn’t hard to miss the distinct sound of locks clicking shut simultaneously. Followed by the crackling roar of fire.

 

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 

 

Jungkook quickened his pace up the stairs, feeling the heat at his back as startled shouts of alarm arose behind him. There was no way the vampires could get out, he knew; Seokjin did a great job locking all the exits of the building, and even if someone could pick locks, he knew it would still take much too long.

 

Which is why he was heading for the roof in the first place.

 

The young vampire emerged from the doorway, breathing in the night air as the city of Busan laid itself to sleep. He glanced up once, briefly, wanting a last look at the moon. It was almost a mirror of the first night, when he had been hunted by the very monsters he was currently acquainted with. Except now, the moon wasn’t obscured by the dense treetops; rather, dark clouds drifted across its bright surface, hiding its brightness like curtains drawing close. The stars were still out though, barely shining through, their twinkling lights cold and distant and providing minimal light.

 

Jungkook heard footsteps behind him, and he frowned as he turned around. There should be no survivors from the fire; he locked the escape door behind him when he made his way up the emergency stairwell.

 

The figure reached the top and stopped, panting to catch his breath, as he raised his head to meet his eyes.

 

“Jimin hyung…” he said in shock. “I thought I told you to leave the building.”

 

“Do you seriously think I’m stupid, Kookie? I knew you were planning something as soon as you told me that. I took the east stairwell, the one that doesn’t have an electric lock. You should really check the whole floorplan next time you plan on locking every door.” He advanced, almost predatory, as Jungkook backed up. Yet another parallel of the first night, of the night he first encountered the monsters.


“Hyung…stay away. I told you to leave for a reason. I don’t want you to get hurt,” Jungkook warned, reaching into the inner pocket of his suit jacket. The glint of silver paused Jimin temporarily in his tracks.

 

“Where did you get that?” Jimin asked.

 

“The hunters, who else?” Jungkook countered. “Their goal is to wipe out every vampire clan in Busan. Coincidentally, I want the same thing. I told them I’d do their dirty work in exchange for the stake, and it was an offer they couldn’t pass up.”

 

“But…why?” Jimin looked at him, not understanding. “We saved you, took you in and gave you a home - ”

 

“You destroyed my life!” Jungkook spat, cutting him off bitterly. “You have no right to say anything like that.”

 

“Jungkook…. Then, did what we had not mean anything? Everything that happened between us…”

 

He turned his face away, half-hiding in the shadows. “Of course it meant something, hyung. I still care about you.” He said this in a sour tone, as if there was no point denying the truth, but the words still left a bad taste in his mouth. “Which is why I’m telling you to leave. Because if you don’t, there can only be one outcome, and I don’t want that.”


“You’re gonna kill me, aren’t you?” Jimin guessed, stepping forward. “Then do it. Kill me if it makes you feel better, but promise me that you’ll live.”

 

“Hyung, stop,” Jungkook pleaded. “You know I can’t do that. I wouldn’t be able to live with the monster I’ve become, if you’re gone too.”

 

There was a pause between them, a test of wills, maybe. The only sound that could be heard was a light breeze coming off the distant ocean, signalling an impending storm.

 

“Hyung…” he asked out of the blue, breaking the silence. “Do you believe in an afterlife?”

 

“I don’t,” Jimin replied almost immediately, unhesitantly, showing that he had given this subject much thought. “At least, not in the sense of Heaven or Hell. I believe in past lives, and future ones. In reincarnation. It’s happened before, you know. Recorded in vampire archives.”

 

“Then let’s hope we meet then. A time and place where neither of us are monsters,” Jungkook whispered, almost sadly, giving him no warning as he lunged forward.

 

Jimin dodged on instinct, taking up a defensive stance, as his soles skidded to a stop on the concrete floor. He frowned at his own reaction seeing as how he had told the younger to kill him in the first place. “Kookie-yah…you’ve never beaten me in a fight.” And he still hasn’t, not yet despite his brazen vow during that practice session which seemed so long ago.


“I know, but you’ll let me win this one. Am I wrong?” he questioned, adjusting his grip on the weapon.

 

“You know me so well,” Jimin said fondly. His eyes hardened in resolve. “Do it.”

 

Jungkook attacked again at his words, meeting no further resistance from his lover. He plunged the stake into his chest with lightning speed as Jimin just stood there rather than dodging. The younger vampire twisted the weapon, seeing a dark burst of blood spill forth from the wound. The other vampire gasped, his pupils dilating as Jungkook yanked the stake out. More blood flowed from the gaping hole, creating steady streams of scarlet that stained the white dress shirt. The enchanted silver had started killing him on the inside, stopping his healing abilities that would’ve otherwise prevented his death. His lover was bleeding out, a result of his heart not being able to beat to replace the blood lost. Jungkook let the limp body fall to the ground and followed it to his knees.

    

He looked at Jimin, studying his familiar face twisted with pain, before slowly relaxing to passiveness. His eyes were open and glassy, staring up at nothing so Jungkook reached over to close them. Drops of blood had splashed onto his lips and cheeks, but even then, Jungkook thought he was beautiful.

 

A sudden roar shook him out of his trance, and Jungkook glanced behind him to see that the fire had reached the roof. The rest of the vampires were no doubt dead, just like his lover that laid motionless at his feet. He had finally reached his goal, and yet, there was no sense of accomplishment, feeling numb and empty instead.


His clan was dead now, and Jimin was dead. He truly had no one else left in the world, but he was somehow okay with that. He himself would no longer be a part of this world as well in just a few moments. Jungkook only had one last thing left to do to fulfill his mother’s words, to avenge her like she had told him to. Pressing a gentle kiss to his dead lover’s lips, he tasted the familiar, sweet tang of iron that could only belong to the boy before him. He raised the stake again, studying the way crimson liquid on the metal caught the dull starlight, the way the red contrasted the silver.

 

I believe in past lives, and future ones. In reincarnation. The words of Jimin resonated within his mind.

 

If there is a future life, I hope to meet you there, he thought in reply silently.

 

“Wait for me, hyung,” he whispered out loud, staring at the stake once more, before bringing it down with force.


On the mantle above the fireplace in the cabin in the woods, twin roses wilted, their petals mixing as they crumbled to ash.


 

 

Soooo this story is done! Thank you all who took the time to read, and I hope the ending lived up to your expectations! I kind of rushed it a bit, so I apologize if any parts seem inconsistent. As I am an aspiring author, I am still learning, so feel free to leave comments and criticism regarding this story! They really help me and they also encourage me to practice writing more so I can get better. Thank you all again for sticking with me through my first chaptered fic, and I hope you all have a wonderful day/night! Love you <3

~ Starjay