Chapter 2: Twinkling Star

Touch of Death

 

Jimin knocked on the bedroom door before entering.

 

“Hey, I brought you your - ” he ducked as a flying pillow almost decapitated him, setting down the tray with a blood bag on the nightstand. He had grown the anticipate to various objects the other vampire would use as makeshift projectiles.

 

“Go away,” the figure on the bed hissed as he got closer.

 

“No,” Jimin responded firmly. “My clan leader has told me to start training you like a proper vampire. You’ll need to keep your strength up, Kookie.”

 

“Don’t call me that,” he spat, glaring, but Jimin was unfazed.

 

“Whatever you say. Just make sure you drink this, alright? I’m serious about the training, and we’re gonna start tomorrow.”

 

Jungkook snarled and ripped the plastic apart, spilling the crimson liquid over the sheets and mattress. Jimin sighed, sitting down on the edge of the bed carefully to avoid the wet spots. “Jungkook, you have to drink something. Seriously, you might be immortal, but a blood-starved vampire behaves just like a rogue vampire, and it’s a horrible feeling. I’ve been there.”

 

“Just let me die,” he sighed, falling onto the bed.

 

“Not gonna happen, kinda the whole point of Turning you in the first place. Here.” Jimin bared his wrist and shoved it in the younger boy’s face. “Drink.”

 

Jungkook’s eyes flitted up in surprise. “Drink…from you?”

 

He rolled his eyes. “Obviously. It's not like vampires don't drink from each other from time to time. And seeing how you refuse to drink the bagged stuff…” He waved his arm around to emphasize his point.

 

Jimin had been expecting more refusal, and yet the other vampire just grasped his wrist tentatively. Jungkook opened his mouth slightly to let his fangs slide into place, his eyes taking on a scarlet tint. He shuddered as the other boy lowered himself to pierce his skin, knowing that his pulse would be racing by now, had he had a pulse to begin with. But even then, he had shown a visible reaction to being bitten, feeling the endorphin rush that was released with vampire saliva. Which was odd. Yoongi had fed from him before too, and he had been unfazed then, so what was the difference now?

 

All too soon, Jungkook pulled away, wiping his bloodstained lips with the back of his hand.

 

“…Thanks,” he said reluctantly, not meeting his eye.

 

Jimin rolled his sleeve back up. “No problem,” he replied cheerfully, trying to mask his earlier internal conflict. “Now get some rest, and try not to kill yourself before I come back.”


With that, he got up to collect the tray and left, oblivious to the hooded look Jungkook had shot him after he turned around. One that could almost be interpreted as lust.

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 

Jungkook collapsed on the wooden floor in a sweaty heap, chest moving up and down as he panted. It wasn’t like he needed to breathe, but rather, just a habit he had yet to get rid of from his human days.

 

“Good job,” Jimin complimented, extending a hand to help him up. Jungkook took it gratefully, wincing as the numerous cuts on his body healed. “You’re getting faster with your blocks.”

 

“Still can’t beat you though,” he mumbled, eyes fixed to the ground while he brushed himself off.

 

“Don’t worry too much about it, not a lot of vampires in my clan can,” the older boy comforted, patting him on the back.

 

“I will though,” Jungkook vowed suddenly. “I’ll keep training, until I can actually beat you.”

 

Jimin simply smiled at how adorable the younger vampire was, all talk and childish bravado. “Sure,” he said, reaching up to ruffle at his hair, having to stand on his tiptoes to do so. He may be better at everything than Jungkook was, but the one thing he couldn’t beat him in was height. Besides, the younger boy was catching up to his skill level at a remarkable rate, and Jimin had no doubt that he would be true to his word.

 

Just then, Yoongi walked into their training room, a blood bag in each hand. “Are you guys done?” he asked, handing the plastic bags to the two of them.

 

Jimin nodded and proceeded to describe what they had been doing, Jungkook enthusiastically ripping into the blood bag and draining the crimson liquid inside. For the first few weeks that he had been a vampire, Jungkook had refused to drink anything that wasn’t fresh blood, so seeing him now was a huge accomplishment on the younger boy’s part.

 

“Hey, you guys, wanna go somewhere? Tonight’s weather is too nice for it to go to waste,” Jimin proposed out of the blue.

 

Jungkook checked the clock in the corner. “Actually, I have somewhere to be in about…ah, thirty minutes. Sorry.”

 

The older vampire raised an eyebrow. “Since when did you actually have other people you hung out with, huh?”

 

The other boy shrugged. “You always tell me to get out more, to meet the rest of the clan before the actual acceptance.”

 

Jimin pouted, looking at Yoongi for help.

 

“Hey, don’t look at me, kid. Gotta go in forty-five.”

 

“Oh, so now you both have somewhere to be, huh? I can’t believe the two people I love are abandoning me,” Jimin wailed in a dramatic fashion, clinging on to Yoongi for the full effect.

 

“Wait,” he said abruptly, detaching himself from the oldest vampire present. “Are you seeing someone?” At the lack of reply, he pressed, “Tall, blond, pretty lips, broad shoulders?”

 

At each of his words, Yoongi’s fair skin turned increasingly redder, and Jimin studied  him with a victorious smile. “Aha! I knew it! Min Yoongi, I can’t believe you’re dating a vampire hunter and keeping it from the rest of us!”

 

Said vampire sank down to the ground and buried his face in his hands, while Jungkook perked up thoughtfully. “So it’s possible for a vampire to date a vampire hunter? Not that I would want to,” he added, when he saw the dejected expression Jimin was starting to wear. Yoongi affirmed, through muffled words, that it was possible, though highly frowned upon. “Huh, Seokjin hyung never told me…” he muttered under his breath.

 

“What?” said Yoongi, blush having faded enough for him to stand back up.


“No, nothing,” Jungkook responded hurriedly, glancing at the clock again. “I really go gotta go now, hyung. Bye.” He quickly made his exit, though not before Jimin pulled him into a tight hug. Jungkook finally managed to wriggle his way out, but only after the other boy had pecked him on the cheek, causing him to practically run out the door spluttering with redness colouring his face and a smile on his lips.

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 
 

“He's doing quite well, for a kid that had rejected his nature just five months ago,” Yoongi commented, watching Jungkook nimbly evading a high kick and ducking to return the attack, landing a hard hit on the elder vampire’s right shoulder. His enhanced hearing caught the clear crunch as bones fractured, effectively rendering that arm useless. Unfortunately for him, his opponent was ambidextrous, and therefore was barely fazed before charging again.

 

The two of them were looking through the window to the training room as an older vampire from their clan - Taekwoon - assessed the potential new member of their clan. He was simply going over tests to evaluate the younger’s newly acquired reflexes, to see if he was fit to join the clan or if he will be a burden to the rest of the vampires.

 

“Yeah, but what if I didn't train him enough?” Jimin worried. “I mean, I don't doubt his skills, but maybe it's too soon? Oh god, I hope Taekwoon hyung won't be too hard on him.”

 

“Gee, because all those hours put into training for five months is totally not enough,” Yoongi remarked. “I mean, he'll fail initiation, or piss Taekwoon hyung off, or the moon will fall out of the sky and mess up the earth’s orbit, and Jungkook won't be able to join the clan.” He snorted at the ridiculousness of it all, watching Jungkook slowly crumble under Taekwoon’s piercing gaze as the other tried to bend him to his will using compulsion. Surprisingly, he stood his ground, and even began to push back mentally until he was put in his place once again. It showed just how powerful he had the potential to become; after all, Taekwoon was one of the strongest when it came to compulsion magic, and just withstanding being compelled for that long took great strength.

 

“This is serious, hyung,” Jimin whined. “Stop being sarcastic for once and start helping me observe properly. I can't tell if Taekwoon hyung’s expression means ‘good job’ or ‘I'm going to kill you now’.”

 

“But all my observations are sarcasm-based,” Yoongi retorted in a dry tone, face showing that he was being completely serious.

 

“Hyung!” the younger vampire groaned, brushing his hair back.

 

“Stop fretting over him, Jiminnie. You're not his mom. In fact, you killed his mom.”

 

“It was Sanghyuk, not me,” he replied absentmindedly, once again having turned his attention towards the silent, brooding vampire that had somehow produced drugged humans out of thin air, free victims for the taking. Testing his self-control, Yoongi thought to himself, recalling a similar task at his own initiation.






 

After what seemed like an eternity, the two of them finally made their way out with Taekwoon’s hand on Jungkook’s back, wearing what was probably supposed to be a pleased expression but looked like a grimace to the casual observer.

 

“He did well, better than I expected. I’ll let Hakyeon know,” he informed the pair in his ever-soft voice that contrasted with his intimidating appearance, before exiting the room.

 

“Well, a compliment from Taekwoon hyung basically means you’re in, kid. It’s just the formalities now. Good job,” Yoongi said, ruffling his hair. Jungkook grinned as Jimin engulfed him in a bone-crushing hug.

 

“I’m so proud of you, Kookie! I knew you could do it!” he squealed.

 

“Ow, yeah, thanks Jimin hyung. Ow, volume,” he winced, almost going deaf from the high-pitched squeal.

 

“Sorry,” he apologized, letting him go.

 

“Say, why don’t we go celebrate before the ceremony?” Yoongi proposed suddenly, eyes hold a mischievous glint as they met Jungkook’s. “I’ll take you hunting.”


Jungkook’s eyes lit up at the prospect, eagerly nodding, and followed him out the room, closely tailed by a super excited Jimin.

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 
 

“Right, so like Yoongi hyung said, the ceremony is just all formalities. The elder vampires will say a few words, then Hakyeon hyung - he’s our clan leader, by the way - will bite you. It’s mandatory for every official clan member to wear the mark,” he added, when the younger’s expression morph into that of distaste. Jimin tilted his head to the side, showing two faint scars on the side of his neck, the only blemishes on the otherwise unmarked skin.

 

Jungkook frowned at this particular bit. He didn’t like how another vampire besides Jimin will bite him, and he certainly didn’t like the fact that Jimin had been bitten by someone else.

 

Stop it, he scolded himself. He’s been a vampire for a long time, of course there will be times where other vampires will have to bite him. Yoongi hyung's probably bitten him before. Jungkook told himself that it was just beside he was still uncomfortable about vampire customs, and it had nothing to do with his struggles concerning his feelings about Jimin. And he totally wasn't jealous. At all.

 

“At the end, you’ll be given a rose, enchanted with your blood.” Jimin carried on in his explanations, completely oblivious to Jungkook’s inner turmoil. It was kind of unfair, really, that the older vampire could be so unaffected when he himself was a mess. “It’s just another way to show that you belong to a clan, not really something that’s actually useful. Well, it wilts when you die, but that’s about it.”

 

“Oh, so you mean the rose on top of the fireplace…” Jungkook questioned, putting the pieces together.

 

“Is mine,” he confirmed with a nod. “And Yoongi hyung just likes to keep his in his room, so I've never seen it. That’s probably all you’ll need to know for the ceremony…” Jimin’s eyes slid over to Yoongi for verification.


“Yeah, that’s it. I’m proud of you, kid,” he said, hitting him lightly on the shoulder.

 

✦ ~ ~ ✦

 
 

Jimin had watched nervously the entire ceremony, scrutinizing every little detail like a hawk. It went by smoothly, as expected. Nothing ever goes wrong during an acceptance ceremony; the vampire guards positioned outside the room made sure of that. Hakyeon had bitten Jungkook, marking him as part of the clan, before presenting him his rose, wishing him well.

 

After it was over, Jimin had rushed over to embrace the younger, ecstatic. He had simply shied away and grumbled, but Jimin knew he had come to deal with his affection, and even enjoy it, sometimes.

 

They had returned to Jimin and Yoongi’s - and now Jungkook’s - cabin shortly after, Jungkook having a hard time adjusting to the sudden influx of vampires that knew of his existence and wanted to get to know him. They had put the rose in a glass jar and placed it above the fireplace, right next to Jimin’s.

    

“You’re finally part of the family!” Jimin said happily and nuzzled Jungkook’s neck as they stood before the mantle, admiring the new addition.

 

“Aaaaand this is the part where I leave,” Yoongi declared. “It’s great, you two can finally get together now instead of ogling each other when you think the other person isn’t looking. Which, by the way, is so gross. Like, it’s so cute it’s gross. I’m gonna crash at Namjoon’s tonight. Don’t break the bed.”

 

The boys turned red at his words, particularly at the last sentence, which was a feat rather difficult for vampires, showing just how embarrassed they both were.

 

“We - we’re not - we don't - ” they both stuttered at the same time, before blushing harder and refusing to look at each other.

 

Yoongi snorted, rolling his eyes and muttering a “cute” under his breath, before grabbing his jacket and heading out the door.

 

They stared at each other the moment the door closed, the rest of the elder vampire’s words finally registering. Jungkook was the first to speak.

 

“What did hyung mean by - I mean, did he - wait, that means…” he trailed off, taking a deep breath out of habit though he didn't need it. Jimin thought he looked positively adorable, all red and flustered under his gaze.

 

“Yes, I like you,” he answered, sparing him further embarrassment. “I thought that was obvious ever since you started living with us. It’s just that, I couldn’t really ask you out formally since it’s against clan rules to date a non clan member. Totally ridiculous, I know, and not a rule everyone follows. But I figured that since you were going to be part of the clan soon anyway, I might as well wait. Makes it more special when you become mine.”

 

“Who said that I would be yours?” Jungkook asked slyly, seemingly having recovered, but his expression gave his true feelings away.

 

Jimin grinned at him, wondering to himself how on earth it was possible for any being to be cute and hot at the same time. Of course, most vampires become better looking when they Turn - it was part of the enhancement - but on Jungkook it was just absurd. He stepped forward as a response, clasping both of his hand, though his small hand don’t quite cover his bigger ones. It was in times like this that their height difference annoyed Jimin greatly, but he couldn’t let it get in the way now, not when he was so close to finally getting the boy he had loved for so long.

 

“Jeon Jungkook, will you be mine?” He knew it was such a cheesy way to ask someone out, but now that the subject was brought up, it was only fitting.

 

He laughed, and for a second Jimin thought he'd misread the entire situation, but then Jungkook’s gaze melted into nothing but fondness and he relaxed. “Yes, Jimin hyung. I'll be yours. But only if you'll be mine too?”


Jimin giggled and stood up on his tiptoes, pressing his lips to Jungkook’s by way of reply.


Hi guys! This story only has one chapter left, and there may be some sensitive material (nothing graphic, mostly implied) in the last chapter. I will be putting a warning at the beginning, but I don't think it warrants a trigger warning so it will not be tagged. I will try to update as soon as possible, and thank you all for reading thus far! It really means a lot to me <3 Have a great day/night my wonderful readers!!!

~ Starjay