Prologue: Fading Day

Touch of Death

 

 

The seventeen-year-old boy tore through the park, running at a breakneck speed. The trees on either side drew closer the farther he went, casting sinister shadows and preventing any light from seeping in. His throat burned, and his muscles ached. Sweat dripped down his back despite it being the middle of winter, his breath making little puffs of steam in the air. And yet, he couldn’t stop running, knowing it would mean his death. He heard the creatures - ‘monsters’ were, perhaps, a better term - behind him getting nearer and nearer, could almost feel their frenzied gnashing of teeth bearing down on him. So he dug his heels harder into the ground. And he ran.

 

The sudden burst of adrenaline that had aided his escape from the house now left, leaving him to carry on by himself. His strength was slowly dwindling, but he remembered the screams and the shouts, the smell of blood filling the air of a family friend’s house. Their impromptu party was brought to a sudden stop when those monsters invaded, destroying everyone he had ever cared about. He remembered his mother’s last words, “if nothing else, you must survive. Avenge us, my sweet,” before throwing herself back into the melee, shielding him from danger and buying him time to flee.


But it was still not enough, and he finally collapsed in a panting heap, despair closing up his throat just as the creatures formed a loose circle and closed in on him, like a pack of wolves surrounding a helpless sheep. He saw their eyes glowing red, their maniacal gazes, their flashing incisors. He was vaguely aware of distorted voices murmuring, as he glanced up at the barely visible moon and apologized to his family silently. I’m sorry, I have failed you. They advanced, relentless, and his last memory was a sharp pain in his neck, before he out.

 


Hi guys! Sorry for this super short prologue, I swear the upcoming chapters will be longer. I will try to update soon! Comments and criticism are welcome, and thanks for reading <3 Have a great day/night everyone!

~ Starjay