Part two.

Elevator Love Story

According to the book that Hwayeon’s foreigner friend read, it can take less than six minutes to figure out if someone wanted to see another person again. In Hwayeon’s case, it took between thirty seconds and two minutes. She had never believed in what her friends had read but it had to be true if it was the result of the tests that psychologists and other scientists had done. She had always been skeptical about it—mainly because a situation had not yet arisen—until she had talked to the neighbor who was always annoyed by her.

It was not until six seconds after Hwayeon entered the elevator that they had spoken to each other. He suddenly helped her with the boxes that she was carrying all the way to her apartment door. It was only at minute two that she insisted on offering Junkyu a drink, perhaps as an incentive for offering to help although it was clear that he wasn’t quite fond of her. Deep down, she knew that it was most likely due to the fact that she wanted to get to know him. She had a slight internal battle whether to ask him out to dinner (as friends, of course) when he had declined a cup of tea. He’s probably just busy, she thought.

After that dinner, they had found themselves constantly running into each other at the elevators. Junkyu was usually ignoring his surroundings as he checked his mail while Hwayeon had some soft of box in her hands. There were times when she hated how her sister constantly sent packages as if she were a baby when she could perfectly handle her own well being; and yet, she was rejoiced that it were these boxes and this elevator that allowed her to find someone she enjoyed being with. It was clear to the both of them that this wasn’t just love; it was an elevator love story (as if there was a distinct difference).

It was a cold day, or cooler than it usually was. Junkyu decided that it was time for a nice warm drink, maybe even two since he was on his way back to his apartment complex. He checked his watch. Perfect, he thought; if his timing was right, she would be there nearly the same time as him.

He smiled as he walked out of the mailroom. Hwayeon was patiently waiting for the elevator without a packaged in her hands. Insoo, his favorite hyung, had suddenly called him as he walked towards her.

“Is this coffee for me,” Insoo asked as soon as he made it to Junkyu’s side. “Did you know that I was coming?”
“It’s not for you,” Junkyu replied as he pushed the cup in front of Hwayeon’s face.

When the coffee cup suddenly appeared in front of Hwayeon’s face, she was slightly confused but had taken the cup anyway (to be polite to whomever had offered it to her). A slight smile crept on her face when she had realized that it was Junkyu, which was soon taken over by confusion when the boy next to him had taken the cup from her.

“I thought I told you that it wasn’t for you,” Junkyu said as he pulled the cup away from his hyung. “It’s still new, Hwayeon. I assure you that it’s new.”
“Thanks,” she smiled as she took a sip from the warm cup.
Insoo tilted his head, “so you must be the girl that Junkyu’s been talking about.”
“And you’re the friend I haven’t been talking about,” Junkyu retorted, allowing Hwayeon to let out a soft chuckle as she entered the elevator. “Why are you here anyway?”
“Just wanted to check up,” the older boy replied. “I see that you’re okay and that I should take my leave.”
“You should stay for some tea,” Hwayeon offered. “My sister just sent me some a few days ago. It’s amazing, I promise. Junkyu’s tried it, haven’t you?”

 

It’s been close to six months since they’ve met. It was filled with casual dates, something in between friendship and a relationship, but they had never taken the time to fully commit to each other. Junkyu decided that it was time he mentioned a relationship to her, but he was unsure if he had the guts to actually do it. Fortunately for him, she mentioned it first.

“We’ve been having our elevator love stories, but I think we could have something better than that, you know,” she let the words out of as if it was no big deal. She fiddled with the paper bowl in front of her.
“Yeah, I think I’d like that,” he smiled, taking her hand into his.

Those were the same words he said when they first met that started it all.