The Story

Elevator Love Story

 

 

Junkyu mindlessly pressed the elevator button as he sorted through his mail. When the elevator doors opened, he saw a figure in front of him. Time seemed to pass by much slower as he peered at her. He took advantage of his and caught every detail of her being.

It was her left hand that headed straight to her pocket after it ran through her long hair. The thin, slightly oversized white cotton shirt she wore was casually tucked into her black skinny jeans. Her glasses hung on her shirt’s collar to create a v-shape and reveal her collarbone. Junkyu found it attractive. As she took a step out, she pushed the strap of her bag back onto her shoulder and smiled.

He knew that this was the girl he wanted to be in a relationship in, so he let his id—the impulsive side—take over. Before she could even step away from the elevator, she was pushed back in. He kissed her, lightly, and without a doubt, she had returned it. Regardless of how well they knew each other, this felt right.

“I think I’m falling for you,” he whispered as their foreheads touched. “I don’t know who you are, but I’m sure that I want to get to know you.”

He pressed the button to his apartment floor before giving him another kiss. They had gone to his apartment in order to get to know each other. First, it was only small talk; then it turned into something deeper. They talked about what they wanted for the future, their plans, and everything else. They had gotten along well, and made them fall even more for each other. Their conversation ended in his bedroom, where they had suddenly promised to be together. Soon after, they had fallen asleep in the comfort of each other’s arms.

This was not the way it turned out, though. Junkyu turned to his left, where the woman was walking out. His arm slightly reached out for her, but had come back to his side when he realized what a long shot it would’ve been. After living here for three years, this was the first time he had seen her. He went to the front desk to ask about the girl. He definitely would’ve received answers. This, too, didn’t happen.

Jukkyu stepped into the elevator thinking about how he could’ve done things differently. He just let the girl who could’ve made him happy walk away from him. He was about to push the button to his apartment floor, before suddenly going back to the front desk. He did at least one thing right—he got an idea of who she was.

“So she’s that noisy neighbor from upstairs that I hate,” Junkyu shook his head as he walked back to the elevators. “This stuff only happens in movies, she’s definitely not for me.”

The neighbor—that girl—was the worst thing that happened to Junkyu when she moved in. She was a nuisance—jumping around, extra noise, everything. He hated who the upstairs neighbor was.  

“So you let her walk past you,” Seyong hyung questioned. “You’re an idiot.”
“What,” I shrugged. “What did I do?”

“You can’t just let a girl who made your heart stop walk away,” he flicked my head. “Life isn’t pre-written, you actually have to do something about it.”
“I know that,” I replied, looking down into my drink.
“Then why didn’t you do anything about it? You can die tomorrow and not know it. She can die, too; then you’d lose all hope of being with the person you’re actually supposed to be with.”

Junkyu stepped into his apartment building. After seeing that people were still waiting for the elevator, he decided to get his mail. By the time he had gotten to the elevators, people were no longer there. He mindlessly pushed the elevator button as he sorted through his mail.

“Can you hold the elevator,” a female voice called out. It was his evil neighbor from upstairs. She stepped in carrying boxes. “Thanks.”
It was his chance, and he didn’t want to let it go. He took the big boxes from her hands, “let me help you.”
“I’m fine,” she replied. “Really, it’s alright. I don’t want to be a bother.”
“It’s too late for that,” Junkyu chuckled. “I’m Junkyu. I think I’m your downstairs neighbor.”
She bowed, “I’m Hwayeon. I’m sorry for the noise. I didn’t really think I was that loud. I’d like to make it up to for over dinner.”
“I think I’d like that,” Junkyu replied. “I’ll help you take these to your apartment.”

That was how their love began.


Still not what I had in mind, but I think it was getting there, haha.