Chapter One

New Beginnings

 

I stepped onto campus and almost burst into tears. After 18 years, I was finally free of my hometown. I was at college; I was free to do whatever I want.

It’s about damn time.

The campus was beautiful, everything I dreamed of, filled with trees and grass, and had no stupid ocean. It was crowded with people and I loved it. I could blend in without people noticing me.

I loved this place.

I made my way over to my dormitory “Gwanaksa Resident Hall,” near the northeast side of campus. I was excited, I was assigned to building 919, which was one of the newer buildings on campus and was on the 9th floor. However, the downside was that I was stuck in a suite style apartment with five other people. I walked into my personal room found that my roommate had already set up her side of the room. However, my roommate was nowhere to be found.

“Amber Liu?” I asked looking around our dorm room. It was surprisingly roomy, compared to what I had expected. We each had a desk and closets. I went to open my closet when a girl with short black hair bearing a strong resemblance to a llama came tumbling out.

“Surprise!”

I screamed loudly at her appearance. I was not good with surprises and was easily scared of the stupidest things and this was no exception

“Jesus! What the hell?”

The girl’s lips curled into a smile. “Welcome, roommate! I’m Amber.”

I rolled my eyes. “I got that much. Why’d you have to go and scare me like that, man? I almost got a heart attack.”

She shrugged. “Why not? Besides, I figured that if I did, we could skip the awkward introduction. Mikyong, right?”

I nodded. “Yup.”

“Well Mikyong, tell me was that as awkward as you expected?”

I laughed. She was right. I had dreaded the awkward encounter I would possibly have with my roommate once I moved in, but Amber eased the tension away with her silliness.

“I guess you were right, it wasn’t awkward.”

She gave me a big toothy smile. “Mission succeeded!” She said fist bumping the arm.

 

I shook my head laughing. She was a strange one, but I liked her.

As I began to put my stuff, we continued to talk. I found out that Amber was actually a sophomore with a major in music composition, but she was an exchange student from America so S.N.U decided to throw her into the freshmen dorm. However, from the look on her face, she didn’t really care.

“Are you going to move here after you graduate?” I asked her.

She tilted her head and considered the question. “I haven’t decided. I was thinking that I would make my decision after I shadow a couple of mentors at the entertainment companies.”

“That sounds like a good idea, what companies were you looking to shadow at?”

“I sent a couple of my songs to a bunch of companies and got a ton of replies, so if I have time for it, I'm going to shadow all at all of them.”

“That’s awesome,” I told her.

She smiled, clearly happy. “What are you here for?”

“I’m here studying biology.” I smiled. “I want to work in pathology.”

She looked at me in horror. “Doesn’t that involve dissecting human organs?”

I laughed at her expression and nodded. “Only a little bit, but that is why I’m a vegetarian. It kind of gets hard to look at meat the same way after shadowing a pathologist.”

She scrunched her nose. “Ew.”

“It’s not that bad, trust me.”

“You’re insane.”

I shrugged. “Only a bit.”

 

 

 

After we finished packing, Amber told me her friend invited her to a party.

I nodded. “Sounds cool.”

“Do you want to come? You shoulddddd.”

I shrugged. “I’m not really a party person.”

It was true. I preferred spending my time alone, away from the crowds. Places with too many people just made me uncomfortable and sweaty. Besides, the times I attended parties in high school always ended up with me waking up with a hangover and occasionally another person.

“C’mon.” She said giving me puppy eyes.

I sighed. I really didn’t know my roommate that well, but clearly, she was a force to be reckoned with. It was almost impossible to say no to her it seemed.

“Fine.” I groaned.

She pumped her fist in the air. “YESSS. I’m going to call Krystal right now and tell her.”

I gave her a small smile, but the voice in the back of my head kept saying that this was a bad idea.

 

Just what have I gotten myself into?