Chapter Two

New Beginnings

  Amber told me the party was on the other side of the campus, as that was where her friend’s sorority was located. She left earlier because she had to promise set up the party, but promised to see me there.

  A party on the other side of campus doesn’t sound too hard to get to, right?

  Well,  that’s what you think.

  S.N.U has such a big campus that they have shuttles to take us to different sectors. I was lucky enough to have a car of my own, which I was going to drive over to the party. But as my luck would have it, my car sputtered and refused to start.

 

  Great, what was I going to do now-

 

  Ahhh.

  I picked up my phone and immediately called his number, he would know what to do, he always does.

  “Hello?”

  I smiled. “Hey.”

  I could feel his infectious smile just from his voice. “Mikyong!”

  “Yup, the one and only.”

  “What’s going on? I’m sorry I couldn’t help you move in today, I was busy working at Mr. Yoon’s.”

  “Don’t even worry about it, I bought a car with my internship money so it wasn’t too bad.”

  “Woah Mikyong, you got your own car.”

  I laughed. “That’s actually why I called. It’s broken down and I don’t really know what to do and I figured you would.”

  “Where are you? I’ll bring Mr. Yoon and drive over right now.”

  I chuckled. “You don’t have to come over right now-“

  “Nonsense. Do you need a ride anyway by the way? We can take you over.”

  I laughed. “You’re too nice for your own good, you know that?”

  “Whatever. Just tell me where you are.”

  “I’m in front of my dorm, Gwanaksa, I have a CR-V…”

  I heard some rustling, probably him writing the location down. “Okay, I’ll be there in 10.”

  “The garage is 20 minutes away.”

  “Mr. Yoon drives fast.”

  I sighed. “Please be careful.”

  “Yes, yes.”

  “And thank you, again Brian.” I paused. “It really means a lot.”

  He scoffed. “What are friends for?”

  I smiled. “To save me from walking across campus?”

  I heard another scoff and then a click of the phone. I sighed. The kid hung up on me.

  So rude.

 

  Brian was my childhood friend who had been with me so many years I have lost count. He was three years older than me and had moved out to Seoul about two years to chase his dreams.

  He had some struggles, but was genuinely happy, living out his dreams.

  I was happy for him… Genuinely.

 

  As Brian said, it only took him 10 minutes said to drive over with a man, I learned to be Mr. Yoon. They had brought a tow truck and as Brian went to go hook up my car, I shook hands with Mr. Yoon.

  “Nice to meet the girl Jae and Brian keep talking about.”

  I smiled. “Dang, I’m famous and I didn’t even know it.”

  I heard Brian laugh. “Don’t get too big-headed now.”

  “It’s not being bigheaded if it’s true.”

  Mr. Yoon chuckled. “You Miss, are just as sassy as Jae says. You should come over and visit the boys, they practice every night. But I have to give you a bit of a warning. They have got quiet a fan base. These girls come to every practice and make quite a racket.

  I smirked. “Well there, Young K. You never told me you had so many girls groveling at your feet. Oppa sarangahae-“

  “Oh my god, shut up.” He groaned. “Mr. Yoon you sold me out.”

  Mr. Yoon laughed. “Well, son. She’s not wrong.”

  Brian shook his head. “Where are we driving you?”

  “I’m going to some Gamma Rho party. I was invited-“

  I stopped speaking because his eyes had become big with a mixture of surprise and another emotion that I could not decipher.

  “Brian?” I asked, waving my hand in front of his face.

  He blinked. “What are you wearing?”

  I looked down at my outfit. I had on a black crop top with white stripes and a pair of blue high-rise skinny jeans. It was simple and only really exposed my shoulders but was still comfortable.

  “I’m wearing what I’m wearing, do you have a problem?”

  He gulped and began kicking the ground slightly. “Nope.”

  “Then what’s wrong?”

  “Nothing.” He paused before taking off his own jacket and throwing it at my face.

  “What the-“

  “It’s going to get cold later.” He said, before turning back and walking over to the truck. “Hurry up and get in if you want a ride.”

  I felt scandalized. How dare he just throw his stupid jacket at my face? I mean it was a nice gesture, but Jesus how rude.

  I got into the car and was surprised to hear Mr. Yoon laughing.

  “Kids these days.” He said clutching his side. “So funny.”

  Brian scoffed and looked out the window. I mimed his actions. Two can play at this game.

 

  When we finally made it to the sorority, Brian broke his silence and began rambling about safety.

  I sighed. “Brian, I had gone to enough parties in high school with Jackson to know I have to be careful.”

  He continued to ramble on until Mr. Yoon smacked his head.

  “We’ll see you later, Mikyong. Have fun.”

  I nodded and thanked him. Walking out of the car brought laughter bursting out of my throat and tears in my eyes.

  The last thing I saw was Brian’s scandalized face.

  “Good.” I thought to myself. “That’s what he gets for acting like an overbearing brother.”