iii. Mark

Nocturnes

 

            Sitting across each others, letting the warmth of coffee go through every inch of her small hands and spreads on her whole body. She just didn’t realize, the warmth just spread in her heart as her eyes catch someone smiling towards her, the same smile from 15 years ago.

            He still have same smile – a childish smile – like he used to when they first met. She’s just five years old back then, he arrives with his friends when she sat on the swing alone, having no one to play with. The boy approach her first and smile, he didn’t say a thing but he gestured her to follow him. And after that for one week playground is the most favorite place for her, because of Mark Tuan.

            “ You still didn’t talk much.” Kaylee blurted out, she don’t like the awkward athmosphere between them after the long silence.

            “ I don’t know what to say,” He smiles, he don’t know what to say back then because he still learn Korean and now he literally don’t know what to say. They’ve grown up, Kaylee looks different as she already mature plus she still wearing her doctor robe. Mark somehow proud of her. He don’t even now how he’s so sure that she is the same girl from 15 years ago when they met at emergency room but he just did.

            “ So, you stay in Korea now or ? “ Kaylee let the question hanging.

            “ Most of the time, Me and my friends owned a dance academy and I have to take care of the student sometimes.”

            “ That’s cool,”

            “ A doctor is more cool you know, you’re gonna save someone’s life.”

            “ I still have a lot to learn, I just on my first year of internship. Still long way to go.”

            “ It’s nice to meet you again after long time. I didn’t have chance to say goodbye to you before, sorry.” Kaylee suddenly remember when she’s crying for two days and sulking when Mark was back to California with his family, that was embarrassing.

            Her phones suddenly vibrate, she sighed. Duty call. She had to go now.

            “ You have to go now? “ Kaylee nodded at Mark’s question, her disappointment clearly written on her face.” It’s okay. Go now, they need you.” She get up and slightly bowed before turn her back.

            “ Kaylee,” her footsteps stopped and when she turned around, Mark already stand right in front of her.” Here,” he handed her a bussines card.” See you soon, I guess? “

            With a big smile Kaylee nods “ Sure, see you around. Mark Tuan.” And with that she’s gone.

“ Don’t drink too much, I can’t lift you. You’re too heavy for me.” Naru pouted and Jinyoung chukles in renponse.

 

            “ Fine, I’m sorry.”

            Maybe he can fall into deepest slumber in his life, there’s a time he can’t help himself to get up. But he always remember, someone will always lend her hand for him, help him to standing on his feet, waiting until he can balance again, and when he’s settled he will hold her hand and they will run together towards their future.