Chapter four

I Am The Voice

Everything is not okay.

As soon as walked in, the recorded performance - or, rather, the edited version someone made of just his song - was being played at every lunch table, in every classroom. He waited for his Algebra teacher to arrive first period while a small group of girls in his class poured over the song, picking through all the guys they knew who looked like the "mystery man" and analyzing his voice.

He entertained the thought of telling them some strange rumor he'd make up to get them off his trail, but he refrained. He didn't think he could pull it off.

Kyungsoo arrives after him, giving him a look to ask if he was good, to which he nods slightly in response. He'd just focus on his homework and forget about it, but what they said yesterday was true: This wasn't going to go away, and he had no idea how to stop it.

Either they'll give up, or he has to tell them. This isn't a situation where someone else could take the blame because he really doesn't think anyone else can sing exactly like him.

He ignores everyone in Health by playing on his piano app for inspiration, trying to imagine sadness and pain in order to get the melody right. They were supposed to be working on a worksheet, but the teacher never paid attention to what they did and he knew he'd just do it later. He may have gotten suspicious when his face was scrunched up in concentration. Who knew imagining sadness was so difficult when he's never lost someone he's loved? Instead, he just plays what he already has and tries to add on. He'd love to hum with, but he knows that would be social suicide at this point.

He worked a little at home, but not far enough. The chorus was worked out enough where he knew he wanted Jongdae to sing it, but there was still that one section that he couldn't decide who to sing it, and it was stressing him out.

"No one make me happy!" He warns when lunch finally rolls around. He drops his stuff at his usual spot and gets his food, but the whole table is still confused by the time he comes back.

"What?"

"He's writing." Kyungsoo says and reads a passage in a worksheet he's working on. He sips his water and scribbles in a few answers as Baekhyun pulls all his music sheets out and starts playing on his app again.

"Oh! He's writing another song!" Junmyeon sits and smiles, but Baekhyun already has his headphones in and can't hear him, "I'll be a horrible friend if I don't hear this one."

Baekhyun, still unable to hear, doesn't realize that Junmyeon had a guest with him, who sits down with his own lunch. Kyungsoo, bringing a spoon to his lips, stops halfway when he realizes that their guest brought the rest of his group with him.

Sehun, Kai, Luhan and Zitao all sit down around the friends as Chanyeol sits by Junmyeon so they can discuss things.

"Hello?" Jongdae asks as he looks over all the newbies. Zitao smiles and waves a little as he sets his stuff down, but quickly puts his earbuds in to watch something on his phone. Luhan and Yixing say something to each other in Chinese and suddenly it spurs a conversation with all the exchange students. The rest of them listen in for a bit before breaking into their own conversations when they don't understand.

"Yo." Kai salutes in greeting as he sits, "The freshmen stole our table."

They glance over to see the far table covered with first year students and collectively scowl. Jongdae nods sadly and salutes back. Kyungsoo nudges Baekhyun, who snaps from his trance in confusion and pulls an earbud out, "What?"

Kyungsoo jerks his head over and Baekhyun looks past him to see Chanyeol and his friends situated down and eating their food. He straightens up and Jongdae gives him a grin. Baekhyun takes out the other bud and puts his phone away silently, turning to eat his food instead.

"How far have you gotten?" Kyungsoo asks and Baekhyun chews before answering.

"I've got a chorus. You want to hear?"

Kyungsoo nods and puts in an earbud while Baekhyun powers his app back on and plays the notes for him. He nods and follows the lyrics on the paper with the measure. When he smiles, Baekhyun sighs in relief, not realizing how tense he was.

Because of this, he doesn't notice Chanyeol watching them, until Junmyeon takes his attention away.

"Has anyone found Amber?"

"Oh, she comes from my Psychology class." Sehun says.

"Do you know where she sits usually?" Chanyeol asks and Sehun looks over the crowd, pointing.

"By Victoria?"

Junmyeon and Chanyeol both rise and make their way over, looking to where Sehun gestured. They can see Amber in a table of girls, mostly ones from their year - Luna, Sunny, Taeyeon, Krystal, Victoria, Jessica, Tiffany. Jessica and Krystal were watching a video side by side on a phone, while Taeyeon and Tiffany were laughing about something. Amber was sitting besides Victoria and Luna, who were discussing something from their textbooks while Amber sat between them, trying to stay out of their way.

"Are you sure you don't need me to move?" She asks when they get close enough to hear and Victoria shakes her head.

"You're fine." She insists and Amber shrugs, drinking her juice from it's straw. Honestly, their school tried serving those vegetable-fruit juices, and they never really tasted good, but what else did she have? When she has enough of pumpkin-and-carrot, she places it on her tray and stands to throw it out. She turns to find Junmyeon and Chanyeol blocking her path and she has to stop in her tracks to prevent hitting them with ketchup and leftover sweet potato tater-tots.

"Oh! Hey!" She smiles and they wave,  "Am I in your way?"

"No, actually, we need to ask you something." Junmyeon takes a mild step forward and Amber wiggles around them.

"Hold on one second," She says as she quickly throws her trash away, then comes back, "What's up?"

"You worked the Talent Show, right? I know everyone's searching, but -"

"You want to know about mystery man. So does everyone else. I just did his makeup. He came in with his mask on already and Suji just asked us to fix him up."

"Would you recognize his eyes if you saw him again?" Chanyeol asks and Amber makes a suspicious face.

"This isn't come criminal lineup, guys. I'm sure if he wants to be found he'll let you know, otherwise I can't help you." She shrugs apologetically, "Why do you need to know so urgently?"

Chanyeol pauses and looks at Junmyeon, who furrows his brow in the same question. They look at him and Chanyeol clears his throat, rubbing his hands together nervously.

"Well, I really, really loved his voice..." Amber quirks one eyebrow up and Chanyeol presses his lips into a line, "And maybe I have a crush on him."

"Ha! Tiffany, you so owe me ten dollars!" Amber slaps her hands on the lunch table and they all look up to see what was going on. Tiffany groans, but Taeyeon covers when she laughs as Krystal and Jessica take out their headphones to see what they missed. Luna and Victoria share a quiet fist bump as they scour their books. Amber turns to face them again and gives Chanyeol finger guns, "Hey, I mean, Suji said he was gay when she brought him into the dressing room."

Chanyeol's ears turn red. Amber lowers her hands and leans a hand on the table, placing the other on her hip.

"But seriously, I only did his makeup, sorry. Suji checked in, and I didn't see her until she was about to perform and we fixed her other half. If you want to know who it was, you're going to have to ask her."

"She's gone from school again." Junmyeon joins the conversation again, eyeing Chanyeol carefully, "But I suppose she can't miss it forever. Thank you."

Amber nods and squishes between her two friends again, but the rest of the table was a mess of giggles. Junmyeon and Chanyeol go back to their table and the class president gives him a look before they sit down. Chanyeol smiles.

"Yes?"

"You have a crush on him?"

"It's still worth finding him," Chanyeol reminds him and Junmyeon sits down, "Regardless of why."

"I suppose, but we're finding him to give him credit, not so you can ask him out."

"Wait, what?" Kyungsoo gapes a little.

"Nothing, nothing." Junmyeon shakes his head a little, but he's amused enough to smile as he says it. Kai looks over and gives Chanyeol a look.

"Did you accidentally come out to them?" He asks. Chanyeol leans his head on one elbow and sighs, covering his eyes.

"Yes. Yes I did." Even so, he smiles as he feels his face get hot. Jongdae, at the other end of the table, gives Kyungsoo an accusatory point and the latter rolls his eyes.

"What, Dae? You want a medal?"

He still looks smug, but he pokes Baekhyun, who had gone back to his app. Kyungsoo was writing a paragraph through text still to send to him silently, "You still up for auditions?"

Baekhyun looks confused, but then he remembers and shrivels a little, "Not really."

"Auditions?" Chanyeol leans so he can see them across the table and the three at the end stiffen when they hear him.

Jongdae leans out to reply "For the Spring Play."

"Baekhyun, I didn't know you acted."

Said male opens his mouth, but doesn't respond. Jongdae points at him, "This boy over here used to love acting, but hasn't in forever."

Chanyeol smiles and Baekhyun dies a little inside, "That's awesome! I'll see you guys there then!"

The bell rings and half of the table realize they haven't finished their food. The exchange students filter out with the others while the few remaining shovel and throw out their trash. Chanyeol cuts through them and appears at Baekhyun's side, which makes him flinch and grip the straps to his backpack.

"Hey, since you're going to the auditions, maybe we could go together since we share our last class?"

Baekhyun swallows subtly and averts his eyes, "Oh, you noticed that?"

"There aren't that many people in Computer Programming. It's not that hard."

Baekhyun looks at him and nods to agree, blinking and looking away again. Chanyeol watches him, then smiles, realizing how it became awkward.

"Um, where are you heading?"

"Government."

"Oh yeah," Chanyeol exaggerates, "That's just the best class."

Baekhyun spouts a small smile and Chanyeol joins him, "It's not that bad."

"Maybe not the worst, but definitely not the best." They keep walking since they're headed in the same direction.

"What's the best?" Baekhyun asks and Chanyeol grins.

"Choir." Baekhyun nods Chanyeol quickly retaliates, "Your favorite?"

"Oh," Baekhyun thinks a little, "I took a ceramics class last semester. That was really fun."

"Hand-building or wheel-thrown?"

"Wheel."

They fall into silence again and Baekhyun's phone vibrates. He takes it out and reads the text from Kyungsoo about what happened when he wasn't paying attention. His eyes widen a little and he puts it away when he sees Chanyeol looking over his shoulder a little, "Y-you never told me where your class was?"

"Oh, right." Chanyeol suddenly stops at a door and gestures to it with his thumb, "Creative Writing."

"Alright. I'll see you later?" Baekhyun waves a little and Chanyeol waves back as he opens the door to his classroom. Baekhyun breathes out and curses himself under his breath - Great. He learns that Chanyeol's gay, and then he acts like an idiot who can't hold a conversation.

Well, he is one, but he could've used his wonderful acting skills that Jongdae claims he has.

Instead, he slides into his desk in his next class and prepares to learn about laws and stuff.

 

 

They were learning JavaScript, which the teacher claims was really easy, and he supposes it was, compared to others. The commands were very simple and the methods were exactly what they claimed to be when you looked at them correctly.

Now if only he understood it all.

The teacher didn't actually teach them anything. He gave them PDF files that they opened and it held basic instructions on how to operate the code, but it didn't help all the time. Most of his code didn't work, and the stuff that did work he didn't really understand why it did.

So, sitting in his chair, he stares blankly at his screen and types in a few prompts, but then he checks it over and makes a face when he doesn't like it. Damn whoever made Arrays.

"Need help?"

Baekhyun stiffens at the sound of a deep voice besides him and looks over. He's used to the teacher spontaneously appearing and asking if he needed help, but he supposes this was better. If it was the teacher, he'd be afraid of looking like the idiot he is.

Except, if it's Chanyeol, then he'll be judged by someone who actually mattered.

He straightens out from his slouch and his voice goes up a few keys as he responds, "Uh, no? I mean," He clears his throat, "I'm fine."

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow and looks at his code, grabbing the open seat next to him and pointing at the screen with his long fingers, "You forgot to add the JFrame."

Baekhyun snarls to himself and narrows his eyes at his computer screen, mumbling, "Of course I did."

He tries not to focus on the fact that, in order to look over his code, Chanyeol was leaning closer to him, enough to feel the heat coming off of him. Baekhyun leans back a little in response to give him space, feeling exposed as Chanyeol looks over what he's sure is a train wreck of mistakes. Even so, he finds himself glancing over at the taller instead, watching his eyes flit back and forth over the screen. Chanyeol's brows furrow and he points.

"What's this variable connected to?"

Baekhyun blinks and looks back at his code, "The, uh..the x value."

Chanyeol nods a little and reaches to take the mouse from him - across his entire body. He plasters himself as much as possible against the chair to get out of the way as Chanyeol scrolls down the text. When he realizes this, he backs off a bit.

"Sorry. I just have to read through it to understand it so I know what's going on." He looks Baekhyun over a bit, just until the smaller begins to feel uncomfortable, "What part were you auditioning for?"

Baekhyun freezes. "Uh..."

"You don't know? Did you read the script?" Baekhyun, wide-eyed, avoids his eye, and Chanyeol runs over to his seat to grab his backpack. he pulls out a worn packet of paper, "This? You're supposed to pick them up if you're audtioning."

"I didn't know that."

Chanyeol flips to a page and hands it to him, "Here. I'll read this, you read that. If you don't know what you're doing then no way is Mr. Quinn going to let you in."

Baekhyun doesn't have it in him to tell him that he really wasn't planning on trying that much, but he silently buries his face into the packet to read over the excerpt given for each character's audition. He's never even read what play it was.

So he reads. From what he tries to briefly skim, it's about a magical kingdom. The Crown Prince is supposed to get married, but he wants to find his soul mate, so he casts a spell on the kingdom. At a ball, the prince finds his soulmate, who runs away to hide. Out of all the characters, he liked the idea of pretending to be the Royal Tailor, so he checks out the monologue for that specific character.

Chanyeol's tongue sticks out the side of his mouth slightly as he scans, and then types in a few things and tries to run the program. The error screen pops up so he closes it down and looks over it again. Baekhyun looks up to watch, suddenly seeing something, so he puts the papers down.

"Wait! Hold on," He takes over and types in a few new things, changing around the brackets and checking it. He runs it and a little PacMan jpeg appears on a black screen. Baekhyun smiles and Chanyeol puts up his hand for a high-five. Baekhyun slowly gives it to him when he realizes that it was open, and the bell rings suddenly. The rest of the class picks their stuff up and hustle out, leaving them behind.

"Ready?" Chanyeol asks. Baekhyun tries to hand him the papers, but Chanyeol shrugs him off, "No need. I memorized it."

The choir room was on the other side, so they make haste and show up as the other students were waiting. Jongdae smiles when he sees them coming and pats Chanyeol's shoulder.

"Thanks for getting him here."

"You asked him to bring me?" Baekhyun mutters and Jongdae puts an arm around his shoulder casually.

"No, but I knew he'd convince you to actually come."

Baekhyun shrugs out of Jongdae's hold and narrows his eyes at him, holding up the papers, "You never told me I was supposed to have one of these."

"I mean, I didn't really think you'd come."

Baekhyun keeps his eyes narrowed and glares. Jongdae smiles sheepishly.

Mr. Quinn enters the room and opens the door, looking over his list and calling out the first name. Taehyung goes inside alone while the others remain outside, and soon Baekhyun can hear them talking, but not loud enough to make out what they were saying.

"Who are you auditioning for?" He asks and Jongdae looks up from reading his own monologue.

"I just chose the prince's monologue because I thought it was good, but I'm sure Mr. Quinn will put me wherever he wants to."

"So it doesn't actually matter what you want?" Baekhyun asks.

"Most people here know that Mr. Quinn has places in mind for them already, so they just audition and hope it's one they like. You do whatever you want to, yeah?"

Baekhyun nods and they sit on the ground, leaning against the wall. He reads his insert a few more times until it makes him annoyed, and then Taehyung comes out. He watches as the other grabs his stuff, waves to some of the people he knows, and then leaves. It makes him nervous. He really doesn;'t want to go through with this anymore.

"Jongdae-"

"You can do it."

Baekhyun bites his lip and looks away, putting the script down and sighing, "Do I have to?"

"You're already here. All you have to do is read from the paper and answer a few questions. Mr. Quinn favors people, so you might not even be in the show, but it's worth just trying."

"Kim Jongdae!"

Jongdae gets up and grins, "Wish me luck!"

Baekhyun waves him off and slides down the wall a bit now that he lost his company. He looks over the others to see some people practicing with each other, others doing homework. A few were eating. Chanyeol chatting with Kai, who appeared to have come by just to keep him company. 

Baekhyun gets a text and it distracts him: Where are you?

It's from Suji. He responds: School.

Where at school?

Choir hall. Why?

There isn't an immediate reply, so he puts his phone away and waits. The script he puts down comes back to attention and he picks it up to maybe read it again.

"Baekhyun!"

He drops it in surprise when Suji comes running down the hall. She slows down when a lot of the other people auditioning look at her, but she stops at him and pulls him to his feet.

"Suji?"

"I need to talk to you."

"Hey, Suji!" Chanyeol starts walking over. The door to the choir room opens and Jongdae steps out.

"Park Chanyeol!"

", wait here, please?" He asks and dodges inside of the choir room. Suji grips Baekhyun's arm and starts tugging on him.

"Baekhyun, it's about..." She trails off and Baekhyun stiffens. He starts to walk with her when Jongdae grabs his other arm.

"Uh, nuh. He's my ride home, and he's auditioning today." Jongdae objects, but then he waves, "Hi, Suji. You didn't get Minho's germs, right?"

"I'm sorry Jongdae, but I need to talk to him."

"Then, quickly? Bring him back too!" He releases them and Suji walks Baekhyun around the corner, pushing him right into that same area she cornered him in before. The hallways were empty, but they would have to be careful.

"What? What is it?" Baekhyun asks when she steps away from him and paces a little.

"My mask. Do you have it?" She asks. Baekhyun furrows his brows, but shakes his head. He remembers throwing it off somewhere when he fled the scene, just because he thought it would keep him hidden more.

"I don't know where it went. I took it off after I ran away." He lowers his voice and looks down the hall both ways. She pulls out her phone and scrolls on instagram, then flashes a picture of the mask he wore, with the caption "Can anyone find my owner?"

"So?" Baekhyun asks, confused. Suji points at who posted it, and he realizes what's up, "Chanyeol. He's looking for you."

Suji grabs his shoulders, "He's looking for you."

"I knew that already! The mask is your's, though. He wants to ask you since you're the only one who knows...or, you were." He looks down and Suji tenses up.

"Who else?"

"Just Kyungsoo and Jongdae."

Suji sighs and nods, backing up, "I trust them, so I hope you do too. I didn't realize it would become such a big deal."

Baekhyun gapes, 'Yeah, but at least they know who you are. I have most of the school hunting me down!"

"Shh!" She steps closer to quiet him down and he clams up, "I won't say anything, but I know I can't avoid him either. He's gotten four different people to call me for him."

Baekhyun covers his eyes with his hands, "I know. I'm sorry."

"Hey," She pulls his hands away, "I'm the one who asked you to sing with me. I've done this to you, stupid."

"Byun Baekhyun!"

"Shoot, I have to go." He can feel his nerves rising back up and he breathes in short bursts, "Text me later."

He runs back into the hall to see Chanyeol coming out, looking around anxiously. Baekhyun, grabbing his paper from Jongdae, slips past him and into the choir room, seeing Mr. Quinn writing a few things on a sheet. The teacher doesn't even look up at him and it makes his hands shake. He's been in the choir room so rarely that it's not terribly familiar, but he stands in front of the risers and waits.

By the time Mr. Quinn is done, he flinches, "State your name and role."

"Uh," He stammers, "Hello. My name is Byun Baekhyun, and I'm auditioning for the role of the Royal Tailor."

Mr. Quinn places his pencil on the sheet and Baekhyun can make out a small list of people who have also auditioned for the part. His stomach flutters uncomfortably and he takes in a deep breath. Mr. Quinn gestures to him, "Begin."

Baekhyun tries to compose himself, imagining the role he took. It was a scene of him telling his current lover about the soulmate spell, and how they were afraid that it wouldn't be each other.

"That question...isn't easy to answer," He begins, trying to make his real nervous fill in for where he thinks they deserve to be in the words, "If I...If it's not you? I guess I'm not sure what you mean."

"If you meet them, and it's not me. Who would you choose?"

"Isn't that selfish? I would hope it's you, I really do, but those words... If I was stuck between you, and my soulmate, it's not fair. For them. For you. Because then I would be taking you away from your own, and mine - this person who is waiting for me, and hoping I'd find them - I'd be leaving them. In a situation where we were wrong, I couldn't do what you want me to. I wouldn't. Instead, let's hope. I shouldn't want this to get between us before we even know, and we don't. Please."

"You just want to let it happen then?" Mr. Quinn fills in.

"If your soulmate approached you and you knew he was the one, would you face him and tell him that you were abandoning him for me? See, it is silly. I know you wouldn't be able to it. Please...do not expect the same from me. I don't want that to happen to us, but, at the same time, can we change it? Our destinies? They exist in a plane beyond us, dear. We can't touch them even if we tried, so I'll just let them happen. It's all we can do."

"Thank you."

Baekhyun stiffens again. He was just getting into the rhythm of it when he was burst out of his bubble. He bows his head and takes his script with him, face turning red with embarrassment. Jongdae meets him outside and another name is called to go inside.

"Well?"

Baekhyun shakes his head and rushes over to his backpack, slinging it over his shoulder, "Can we just go?"

Jongdae nods and follows as Baekhyun briskly walks to the doors leading into the student parking lot.