Chapter three

I Am The Voice

The only available piano was in the choir room, which was empty for the end of the day. Mrs. Bang said they could stay to work, as long as they didn't damage anything and shut the door afterwards and locked it.

Jongdae immediately sets his bag down on a chair in the front row of the risers and stands with his hands in his pockets. Baekhyun was scolded by Mrs. Bang for not joining choir if he writes music and he was tag-teamed by Kyungsoo in the hall when he arrived shortly after.

"I thought you said you wanted to join choir again in second year?" Kyungsoo asks as they come in behind Jongdae. Baekhyun shrugs and sighs.

"I would've had to sing in front of the entire class. I didn't want to." He takes out his folder from his backpack and sifts through a few of the papers, looking over ones he's filled out until he comes across some blank sheets. He removes a pencil and sits on the piano bench, settling the blank papers on the stand. Kyungsoo stands besides Jongdae and they watch as Baekhyun purses his lips and just sits there in silence.

"Well?" Jongdae asks and Baekhyun looks up, uncovering the keys so he can look at them. He presses on a single note and lets the sound of it ring before letting it go.

"Did you have a certain theme or anything?" He asks and the two shift awkwardly.

"Theme?"

"Well, Suji and Minho came to me and asked for a song, but neither of them could choose a theme. Minho wanted to sing about how he thought she was beautiful, but Suji objected and wanted to sing about unrequited love. Eventually I mixed the two of them," Baekhyun scratches the back of his neck and nervously taps his foot. He's never composed in front of people before.

"Well," Kyungsoo thinks, "It's in winder, so it could have that included."

"Then winter has to be symbolic. Um...barren. Cold. Alone." Jongdae starts giving ideas. Baekhyun chews his lip.

"Did you want it to be about love?" He asks and the two shrug together, "Then give me a love story. A sad one, since you want winter in there somewhere."

Kyungsoo drags a chair over to sit nearby Baekhyun and Jongdae does the same to mimic him. Both sit and stare at the paper before Baekhyun, with nothing on it, "Is this how you usually write songs?"

"There's always some inspiration I feed off of. Give me some inspiration." Baekhyun takes a paper and hands it to them with the pencil for the to sketch out their ideas. Baekhyun starts playing a few generic melodies, but he doesn't really try to come up with anything new.

"Could winter be like Elsa in Frozen. Like, the winter is all of my problems or something that kept me from realizing that I was in love." Jongdae suggests.

"In this blizzard of my love, I cannot see you." Kyungsoo reiterates and Baekhyun actually pauses. He closes his eyes and sighs, pressing on a few keys, shaking his head, and pressing on a few more. He bites his lip and goes down the scale, holding a few notes, and then he replays the measure.

"Wait. I like that." He plays a few melodies, shaking his head slightly when he doesn't like the sound of a note, and then plays it with another, "Come on. Be sad. Depressed - no, hopeless. No, desperate. Searching."

The two friends watch him as he settles into his head and wait to see what happens next. Baekhyun writes a little on his paper, replays it, and smiles a little. Talking out what it is he wrote, he follows a beat, "I try to find you, who I can't see. I try to hear you, who I can't hear. Oh, have it go up on the last line."

Baekhyun pulls back, pats his cheeks, and throws the note sheet at Kyungsoo, who struggles to catch it as it sails through the air.

"Sing that." He plays the notes and Kyungsoo looks at the paper.

"I try to find you, who I can't see. I try to hear you, who I can't hear."

Baekhyun screams suddenly and he jumps up, takes the paper back, and sits down in excitement, "Oh, I love it!" He taps the pencil to his lip, squints his eye, then looks at the others, "Come up with more."

"Oh, jeez, okay."

In the meantime, he pans through his other songs and smiles when he sees "Dream" appear written as the title. He looks over the notes and remembers the nights he spent pouring over it to make sure it was exactly how he wanted it to be. He wasn't one to put out poor work.

"What are you smiling about?" Jongdae teases and he stands to snatch at the paper. Baekhyun ducks and holds his folder close to him for protection, "You should play that song for us so we can makeup for missing it at the show!"

Baekhyun presses his lips into a line and shakes his head, "It sounded better performed. The sheets I have are only the vocal notes."

Jongdae manages to squeeze them out from him and he retreats back to Kyungsoo so they can look at it, "Dude, could you play this for us? I want to see if I can hit Suji's notes in my octave."

Baekhyun takes the paper back and he glares, but he puts it on the stand and starts playing what he recalls the instrumentals to be, "You guys better come up with an inspiration while you sing."

They don't even get to the first line before Jongdae's phone goes off and he looks at it, "Hey, Baek! The committee uploaded the recorded performance on Facebook!" He scrolls a little and taps the screen to play the video. Baekhyun's palms sweat and he glances at Kyungsoo.

"Guys, you told Mrs. Bang you'd have the song soon. Please?" He asks and Jongdae turns his phone off.

"Right. So we've established we're looking for them and we're stuck in the blizzard of our problems. They left and suddenly we see their love, but it's too late! Oh, selfish me! Selfish me who only saw myself, and now I can see you, but it's too late!"

"You saw things you didn't see before. Hmm," Baekhyun stares at the piano again in contemplation, "Then I started to see things I didn't see, hear things I didn't hear, Because after you left, I have a power I didn't have before."

"A power?" Kyungsoo asks. Jongdae had clung to him in his dramatic outbursts, so he pushes him off and glares.

"Not like a super power, but the ability. You couldn't see it before and now you can."

Jongdae pretends to get all teary-eyes and reaches out, 'I can see your love! I can see how much I hurt you. This power of mine, yet I can't get you back. Baby come back! You can blame it all on me!"

Kyungsoo elbows him and he snickers and rubs his side. Baekhyun suddenly focuses on him intensely, "Dae, I love you."

Jongdae scrunches up his face, "Ew."

Baekhyun, ignoring him, goes back to his paper and scribbles a few notes in the margins for later reference, "What did I just say for lines?"

"Um, started to see things I didn't see, hear things I didn't hear."

"Right, right!" Baekhyun hums a little to himself. "Then I started to see things..." He grimaces at a bad note and clears his throat. He won't get a good sound if he isn't louder, "Maybe I should work on this later?"

"No no," Kyungsoo encourages him with a wave of his hand, "Keep going."

Baekhyun hesitates, but he plays a few notes ahead of time, testing out the waters, and mouths the words, "I'm not sure who's voice will sound best with this line. Kyungsoo, I want you to sing the first two, but Dae, your voice is really clear. This part is kinda soft."

"Should I sing again?" Kyungsoo asks and Baekhyun slowly shakes his head after thinking it over.

"Not yet. Hold on." He looks over the notes and plays them a few times, fixing another section that was weird, and playing it again. He hums Kyungsoo's part to himself, then sings out loud, "Then I started to see things I didn't see, hear things I didn't hear. Because after you left, I had a power I didn't have before."

"Well ." Jongdae gapes and Baekhyun blushes, but he smiles brightly in response.

The choir door opens and a familiar figure comes bursting inside, looking alarmed. Baekhyun pulls away from the piano suddenly and Kyungsoo looks at him, but they all stare at the newcomer when he starts glancing around the room.

"Who was that?" Chanyeol asks, "Singing - who?"

Baekhyun glances at Kyungsoo, who looks confused, but then Baekhyun grabs Jongdae's phone, unlocks it, and plays the video posted on the school's Facebook page. He skips ahead and plays a recorded version of "Dream" on the phone's speakers. He watches his friends as they listen to the recording for the first time. It wasn't nearly anything like the live version, but Chanyeol deflates.

"Oh. I...I forgot it was online already."

Baekhyun pauses the video after cringing from his voice and clears his throat slightly. Kyungsoo and Jongdae stare, but they remain silent. Chanyeol shifts awkwardly when he realizes he must've stopped whatever they were previously doing.

"Um, what are you doing in here?" He asks, clearing his throat a little, rubbing the back of his neck. The friends break their stand off and Baekhyun plays a note on the piano, looking down.

"Baekhyun is writing a song for us." Kyungsoo interjects. Chanyeol brightens a little and he smiles.

"That's right! You wrote the song for the performance! Do you still have the music for it?" Chanyeol walks around to the other side of the piano, looking at the music they were working on with all his scribbles on it. Jongdae and Kyungsoo bend their heads together to appear like they're discussing the song. Baekhyun, hesitantly, pulls out his music sheets and hands it to him, "Do you mind?"

Baekhyun shifts over on the bench as far as he can, and Chanyeol reads the music, playing the first few notes. He smiles as he plays, and then sings the lyrics along with them. When he's finished with the first few measures, he sighs, "It's really good. If only he was singing it with me."

"Actually," Kyungsoo starts but Baekhyun gives him a sharp shake of his head and he deflects a little, "Hey, Chanyeol. You could help us with our song, if you'd like. Who knows, maybe he'll show up to sing in place of Jongdae before the performance."

Baekhyun shakes his head again, eyes widening, but Chanyeol puts his hands in his lap and smiles softly, "As fun as it sounds, I'll let you guys be. I wouldn't want to ruin anything Baekhyun has planned already."

"You write?" Baekhyun asks softly and Chanyeol looks over at him, then leans on his elbows on the piano.

"Mostly for myself, and on my guitar. Maybe we could work something together another time." He shrugs and Baekhyun nods.

 

When Chanyeol leaves, the two friends attack.

Kyungsoo lunges at Baekhyun and grabs him by the shirt, hoisting him closer, "It was you?! The whole time?! Baek, you saw how stressed Junmyeon was at lunch!"

"I know - I'm sorry!"

"The entire school is looking for you! Oh my gosh, Chanyeol is hunting you down and he almost caught you!" Jongdae is standing, gesturing at the door.

"Suji just needed someone to sing with her! I didn't mean for it to get this big!"

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Kyungsoo asks and Baekhyun frees himself from his grasp.

"No one was supposed to know! I didn't think it would become such a big deal!"

"Just come out and say it's you."

"No!" Baekhyun blurts, but then he pulls back and lowers his eyes, "Then everyone will look at me and think I'm something I'm not and expect stuff from me and I just...I can't. I just can't do it."

Kyungsoo stares at him as he fidgets a little and then he looks at Jongdae. They share a look, and then his eyes soften and he sighs, "Okay. We won't tell anybody, but you know this isn't going to blow over. Everybody loves you now, and they're not going to let it go away until they find you."

Baekhyun sits on the piano bench and lowers his face into his hands, "Dammit, I know. I don't want them to love me; I want them to leave me alone."

"Well," Jongdae sits back in his chair very casually and scrolls through his phone, "You're all over the school's website and social media. I hope you don't have any record of your singing online or anything."

Baekhyun slumps forward until his face hits the piano keys with a loud bang of an off-tune chord.

"And here I thought you got all freaked out when he walked in because of your crush on him." Kyungsoo sits down as well and Baekhyun turns his face to glare at him.

Jongdae, who was leaning his chair on the two back legs, lets it fall as he leans forward, "You should've agreed to write a song with him! So romantic! And since when did you have a crush on Theater Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun places his hands over his face again, turning red, and he smashes his face into the piano, running it back and forth over the keys to blare the sound out.

"Baekhyun, stop!"

He pulls off and rubs the side of the piano in apology, "C-can we just write the song?"

"Oh, nuh uh. I need to hear about this now," Jongdae leans on his elbows and links his hands together under his chin so he can smile cheekily. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, "You never told me about this crush! I gotta get in the loop! I bet you it started right around first year when he went from four feet to six over break and his voice dropped an octave."

Baekhyun's blush deepens, "M-maybe...!"

Jongdae makes a squealing sound and he taps his feet, "I knew it! You always have a thing for tall guys!"

"Since when?" Baekhyun narrows his eyes and Jongdae leans back in his chair again.

"Since we were in first year and you always watched the fourth year boys in passing time."

"You didn't even know I was gay by then." Baekhyun points as he defends himself, but Jongdae raises an eyebrow.

"Or did I?"

"Shut up! Mrs. Bang only let us stay here for two hours!" Kyungsoo pushes Jongdae to make him stop, but he laughs and straightens himself up, composing himself.

"Okay - Okay, fine! Hey, are any of you auditioning for the Spring Play tomorrow? I need a ride."

"I thought about it, but I wanted to focus on my electives this year." Kyungsoo looks over the paper with their ideas scribbled and Jongdae pouts.

"Baekhyun?"

"He's never done a play in his life. I doubt it."

Jongdae looks at Baekhyun for proof and he shrugs lightly, making a few markings on his music sheet. He pulls the paper off to write clearly and erases a few miscalculated notes from before, "I did some in the past, but now it's all competitive. I doubt the director would even give me a part if I came."

Jongdae makes a face, "Mr. Quinn is really strange, so I don't know about that. He does have favorites though."

Baekhyun nods and plays the same measure he's had since he made it. He's not sure where else to go with the song.

"Can you still give me a ride?"

Baekhyun makes a face, but then he sighs, "Sure."

Jongdae pumps his fist in victory, then he settles down and looks at the paper, "Okay. Where did we leave off?"

Baekhyun rubs his eyes, "I don't even know anymore. I think...I'm just going to...So it's in winter, after the person you love left you, and now you see them everywhere you didn't before, and now you want them back but you can't find them."

"...yes?" Kyungsoo tries to word it as affirmative, but it comes out more like a question.

"Alright," He takes his papers and starts packing them away, moving to his backpack, "Then I'll work on it. I kinda don't want to be here anymore."

"At home?"

"I have my piano at home too."

"Are you going to be okay for tomorrow? I mean, people all over the school now know who they're looking for."

Baekhyun pauses, but then he hangs his backpack off his shoulder, "I think I'll be fine."

"You sure?" Kyungsoo asks, skeptical, but Baekhyun nods.

"Yeah."