Smell of Death

Running from Death

Taeyeon hissed when Baekhyun's fingers wrapped around her bruised ankle and massaged gently over the swollen joint. She drew her eyes away when the younger man looked up to meet her eyes. "I don't think you can walk with this leg." He said, standing back from his kneeling position.

          Baekhyun felt guilty to see Taeyeon's injury. Half of it was his fault for dragging this lady out of the camping site just to have a talk only to be surprised by a green snake that fall from the tree branch onto unsuspecting Taeyeon's shoulder. The girl jumped up in shock and screamed in fear and somehow managed to twist her ankle when she tried to run away.

          Baekhyun crouched back, this time his back facing Taeyeon. "Get on, I'll piggyback you back to the camp site."

          "No need. I can walk." Taeyeon tried to get up only to yelp in pain once she put pressure on her injured leg and stumbled forward, almost falling on the ground when Baekhyun caught her by arms.

          "You can't possibly walk with this kind of injury. Can you stop being so stubborn and just let me help you for once?" Baekhyun nagged, anger could be slightly heard in his tone. Because of Taeyeon's stubborness to accept help from him that their relationship end. If only Taeyeon would share the hurt that she was feeling with him, then he would have done all he could to protect Taeyeon.

          Then again, he might be just as selfish and as stubborn... And he couldn't possibly blame it all on Taeyeon. Maybe he was too young, so he was unreliable in front of Taeyeon's eyes. He wished he had done better as this lady's lover.

          Taeyeon sighed and let Baekhyun helped her up and on his back. Her heart might not race like it used to do, but she still felt fluttered at the caring side of this younger man.

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

What is that sound? Oww... My body hurts so much... My head too... Please shut up. Wait... Is that...

            "S-Soju?" Mir opened his eyes slowly. He didn't wince as the sun was already setting at the west and the sky had this bluish-purple shade veiling them. Mir felt warm wet tongue his cheeks and Soju barking right next to his ear. "Oww..." Mir moaned as he held his own chest. Sure, his whole body was aching but the pain was the worst on his chest. Mir let out a long bout of cough before finally sitting up with so much hardship. He had to use the large oak tree he had crashed into just a short moment before he fainted to support his back.

          Once he was already in sitting position with his legs stretched forward, he felt Soju climbed up his thigh, still barking like an overly spoiled puppy. Maybe this pup really did get spoiled so much. And look where he ended up now because of this pup.

          "Look what you've done Soju... I don't even know where we are right now!" Mir scolded but his hand still moving to the white fluffy fur of the dog.

          Mir looked around him in worries. The night had come and he was all alone, lost in the forest. Well, not really lost as he had pretty vague idea which course he should take to get back to the clearing area. The question now is whether he would be able to walk back there with this pain screaming all over his body.

          "What should we do now?" The pup whimpered and snuggled his head into Mir's palm. "Hey... Don't worry, I'm not angry. How can I be angry with something as cute as you." Mir blinked. "Oh my god, I sounded just like Byunghee hyung. Well, I guess that's what I got for spending so much time with those retards." Mir chuckled, smiling gently at his beloved pet. "Why were you even running in the first place?" Mir wondered, slumping back on the large plant behind him. He didn't think he was able to walk. Sharp pain all over his body and he was sure bruises littered all over his skin if only he took a look. He guessed he just had to spend the night here. Alone. In the middle of the forest...

 

@@@@@@@@

 

Jei walked back towards the camping side after calming herself down. A few hours spent with just her crying alone and trying to figure out what was it in Mir's mind. She thought Mir loved her. The way he looked at her. The way he smiled at her. The way he talked to her. The way he treated him as if she was some fragile precious little diamond. But just as when she had her hope high, Mir just pushed her aside, trying to avoid the topic she had been trying to bring up.

          Mir was special to her. He was the first man she ever felt different with. Mir was so unique and his uniqueness which had attracted her at first. And though Mir was all indifferent with other girls, Mir had treated her specially. Like no one ever did. She felt special...

          Or was she just flattering herself? Mir didn't even chase after her when she ran away...

          With a heavy sigh, Jei got herself ready thinking that she might get scolded for skipping their first day of recording just like that. And it was already nightfall. She actually had fallen asleep on the large stone she took a rest on after crying. "I'm so pathetic..." Jei mused, bitterly laughing at herself.

          Jei stepped into the clearing with lowered head, ready to do a 90 degree bow and apologized profusely to everyone for being unprofessional. But that was until she sensed something wrong. Silence...

          Too quiet!

          She lifted her head and gasped at what she saw. The light that had been set up by the shooting crew earlier this morning had been switched on and that gave her clear vision from the light that shone through the camp site, which she wished it wouldn't.

          Bodies sprawled everywhere. Dead body. Smell of blood and slashed guts and organs filled the air around the campsite. Scarlet blood had painted almost every square feet of the large clearing. Everyone... Were dead.

          Feeling her stomach churned, her head felt heavy when her widened eyes now saw something moving not too far from her. That image of whatever that 'thing' is, was almost blocked by one of the tents and Jei gathered her whole strength to drag her slightly numb legs around the tent.

          A full long scream escaped her lungs before she could even think when she saw Nana, choking with her own blood was convulsing in pain and nearing death as that light brown fur covered animal was feasting over the poor girl's guts.

          At her scream, the glowing pair of amber eyes now drifted towards her...

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Mir was woken up again. He fell asleep while trying to get the pain to stop by trying to stop thinking about it. The power of mind. This time, it wasn't Soju as the puppy was fast asleep on his laps. This time it was a scream he knew well, a crying voice, traumatic piercing cries.

          "Jei noona..." Mir whispered, instantly alerted. He tried to stand up after putting away Soju to the side only to fall back on the ground, waking up Soju who was sleeping just now when he felt his master's moves. Mir coughed, feeling warm liquid rose up through his throat and into his mouth. Cooper smell of blood filling his senses. Did he got injured worse than he initially thought?

          Soju kept jumping around Mir who was struggling to breath with all the blood pooling in his airway, barking. Mir coughed again, hand the material of his jacket over his chest. His face scrunched in pain as he fall onto both his knees and hand.

          It hurts. I hurts like hell.

          Mir heaved, his chest moved violently and he was about to lost his consciousness again when his mind cleared up as his ears perked at the sound of leaves rustling and dried twigs snapping under someone's, or something's soles.

          "Hush, Soju! I'm fine. Now, quiet." Mir said, half-whispering.

          Soju immediately stopped barking, its ears folded down as if he understood his master's command. He went closer to Mir's side and stayed silent there.

          Mir tried his best to control his breathing. Trying his best to keep his silence as his eyeballs moved around wildly. It was dark around him but the moonlight on the night sky supplied some light for him to see anything that might have moved in his line of sight.

          The sound of steps over the dried twigs and fallen leaves were getting closer and Mir pulled Soju until the little pup safely tucked under him. He was still on his knees and hands, having no courage to move even a bit.

          He had experience, though just little experience, he still had, by going to some rural places outside Korea, experiencing wild-life first hand both during recording or some personal vacations, also the fact that he went hiking every month on his family's mountains. He couldn't be too rash. It might be some dangerous wild animals like boars or elephant or even worse, predators like large feline species that he didn't even dare to think about.

          Mir palmed his mouth when he saw something moves in the corner of his eyes and a low wolfish sound disturbed the silence. "Wooo." He automatically put his puppy into his jacket and pulled the zip up when he felt impending growl coming from the puppy. Hoping Soju wouldn't make any sound that might expose their hidden presence.

          The dark shadow crawled closer on all four and Mir's eyes widened even more. He felt his heart racing that he fear the sound of his heartbeat might be too loud and attracted the creature now crawling closer to him. Mir squeezed his eyes shut when the creature turned its glowing red eyes on him.

          Mir waited, unable to suppress the shiver racking his frame until he finally felt the creature leaving his side and the bushes in front of him moved as the creature trekking along it.

          Mir only opened his eyes again when it was just silent for a few minutes. He slumped back on the ground, only now letting its puppy out of his jacket as he still felt the tremble running along his spine. "What was that..." Mir whispered, still disturbed with the image he saw just now. It wasn't like any other wild animals he had known or at least saw some pictures on TV or internet. It almost looked like a dog. Like a husky type but its eyes were glowing red and its teeth were razor sharp. And its size was not of any normal canine's size. It was huge. Was even bigger than a Siberian stripe tiger. And Mir swore he smelled blood from that creature. He sincerely hope it wasn't human blood.

          "Soju. I don't think we should stay here." Mir stood up on his shaky legs. It was half out of fear and half out of the pain he still had to bear. Mir gathered Soju into his hold and threaded through the bushes in the direction of where he had fallen from. "We need to find the others." He said, mind filling with the thought of Jei and his hyungs who might be in trouble. Especially after seeing such creature with his own eyes, Mir knew, his life and the others' lives are in danger for sure if they stay here.

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

"Something is wrong. We should go back to the camp site." Lizzy tugged on Joon's sleeves in panic at the sound of the scream which had torn the night just a few seconds ago.

          "I think that scream came from the camp site." G-dragon informed. He had difficulty in threading his path with the darkness of the night enveloping them. The little bit of light from the moonlight wasn't really helping as he thought it would.

          "Then, shouldn't we go back?" Joon asked despite still loyally trailing after the man.

          G-dragon exhaled harshly. He was already worried about Taeyeon and he didn't appreciate people kept yapping next to him. "If you two want to go back, just go!" He scolded, increasing his pace.

          "It's too dark! Careful." Joon warned when he saw G-dragon carelessly marching through the woods. They didn't know what kind of dangerous thing could be lying around in the bushes.

          "I can handle myself." G-dragon grumbled.

          "What's wrong with you?" Lizzy asked, unsatisfied. She was one with temper as well and wouldn't accept easily when someone treat her bad.

          "Nothing, okay! Just shut up!" G-dragon exploded.

          "Yea... Obviously you got angry over nothing. Jerk!" Lizzy argued.

          "You-"

          "Hey! Stop it, okay!" Joon tried to push them apart. But it was useless. Both Lizzy and G-dragon seemed to be deep in argument that at one point, Joon was pushed back.

          Poor Joon stumbled backwards and fall on his bum. Before he could complain however, his eyes caught something staring their way from behind a tree. A pair of glowing red eyes. And a spine chilling low sound of 'wooo' entered his ears.

          "... Run! RUN!" Joon half shouted, scrambling from his fall and ran into a random direction, no longer care if either G-dragon and Lizzy following his lead. All he knew was that thing had razor sharp teeth that glistened under the moonlight and smell of blood prickling his sense of smell. And they would be dead if they stay there...

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Sanghyun stopped at the sound of the scream. It had been the second scream since he left the camp site in search for Mir. He was worried about the maknae for being recklessly running into the forest without supervision. Not even Seungho nor GO were there to protect the maknae and that fact itself was bugging him with worries.

          Then, it was left to him to care for Mir. It was already night and he still haven't found Mir. He thought, maybe Mir had gone back to the camping site, but silly him... He sighed. He had been too worried about Mir and in turn he had went into the deeper part of forest without thinking. And now... It was fair to say, he got himself lost.

          Sanghyun sighed again. Where the hell Mir had ran off to? Was he safe? Or was he just as lost, as alone and as scared as him? Image of Mir curling on the ground somewhere, trembling in cold like abandoned puppy, Sanghyun got back the determination he almost lost and continued his journey with more focus, calling for Mir's name a few times. Not realizing what kind of danger his loud voice was calling for...

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Jei felt like she would die out of suffocation but she didn't dare to struggle against the hand that had a firm hold around her and was sealing . She could felt how loud this person's heart was beating on his back as they stayed hidden behind the tree.

          The arm around her tightened when sound of snorting of the beast they just saw was now closer to them. Minho had grabbed Jei just in time when the beast turned towards Jei at the sound of Jei's scream and now, they were hiding, praying for their dear life.

          The beast was slowly getting closer to them. They couldn't run without alerting the feline-like creature with glowing amber eyes. But if they stayed, it was like waiting for the death coming to get them. And they thought they were finished when the sound of dried leaves crunching under the huge paws of that mutant tiger, or cat, whatever it was, sounded so close, they could feel the warmth from that large creature. Warmth that wasn't comforting at all in any means...

          But they were saved just when they had given up on their lives when a distant sound had attracted the creature. Sounds that were too far away to comprehend but it almost sound like someone was calling out for Mir's real name. And the creature turned away from the duo behind the tree, his ears moving slightly as it picked up the sound before leaving the massacre mess that was its work behind and dashed towards that voice.

          They waited for a few more minutes until they were sure the creature was gone that Minho unwind his arms from around Jei. Once Minho's palm wasn't sealing Jei's mouth, sobs escaped .

          "Everyone... Is dead..." She said between her sobs.

          "Not everyone." Minho answered. "Key and Nicole ran off somewhere."

          Jei kept on sobbing before he turned abruptly and gripped on Minho's shoulder, shaking the man a few times. "Cheolyong? What about Cheolyong?

          Minho shook his head but quickly added as he saw the dark cloud hanging over Jei's face knowing that the girl might misunderstood his gesture. "I'm not sure. He wasn't here when that thing attack us."

          "What?"

          "Most of us, I mean idols, are not here since this evening. The rangers called for help while the rest stay here but... That thing suddenly appeared..." Grim look casted on Minho's face. "I don't know what to do. It's dangerous to venture out of this place... But it's also dangerous to stay here..."

          "We should go look for the others."

          "We can't be sure if they are still alive."

          Jei looked down in thought. "But that voice before. Someone is still alive." And her heart was filled with hope for it to be Mir.

          "And whoever that is, the beast is after him or her and they are just as good as dead."

          Jei gasped, another sobs jumped out . "We can't just stay here. What if that beast come back?"

          "I'm sure help is going to arrive here." Minho assured. "So, we have to wait here."

          Jei frowned and looked back at the blood covered clearing. She pointed somewhere. Towards decapitated bodies that were in uniform. "Then, what are those? They're supposed to be the 'help' that we need, aren't they?" Jei argued.

          Minho sighed. Jei got a point. He was reluctant to go back into the forest but he also didn't remember which trail should he follow to get back to the main road. He was merely following the staff towards the clearing this morning and he didn't observe the path he had taken. And now... The gamble that he needed to take was too large.