The Survivors

The Colourful You & The Colourless I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The melancholic monsoon has hit South Korea. However, as life goes on no matter what, Seoul is bustling with its loyal crowd, that keeps it alive and awake.

Seoul never sleeps.

Neither do some of its habitants.

They seem to be one of them.

Resting his forehead on the cold glass window, with his eyes closed, his hearing has only two sounds in focus. The sound of rain and the steady beeping sound of a heart monitor.

His heart is saying the silent prayers with every beat that is beating in his and the other chest.

Without opening his eyes, he moves away from the window, turns around and looks at the patient. A young girl in her late teen years, looking pale and bruised, with many wires attached to her body is in front of him.
Horrified, he turns around quickly. Both of his hands turn themselves in fists due to the agony he is going through. His mind takes him through a memory lane, where he sees a young beautiful, girl nagging him.

“Oppa! I hate you!”
“Eh? Why? What have I done now?”
“Oppa has beautiful, straight hair. Why could you not be a bit ugly?”
“Ahhhhh...”, scratching his head shyly, that sound is all he could response with.
“Your skin is milky white while I look so yellow. Also, Oppa. WHY on earth is your eyeliner on fleek? Haan? WAEEE?”, putting her hands on her hips, she demands the answers.
“But you are the prettiest in the house, Jihye-ah! You are the princess”
“Oppa is a liar... but it is good. Lie some more because then your lies will make you ugly”, saying that the Jihye runs away towards the garden.
“YAH! COME HERE... YA YOU Little Miss Devil! Stop right there”, he as usual runs after her, trying to catch her just so he could tickle the life out of her.

He hates seeing her like that. He does not want to break down. Not in front of her. Not yet.
He cannot bare seeing her like that. O, how he wishes that it was him who was lying there at her place. She means a world to him. He stares through the window again. The view from the hospital is not so bad from the 27th floor. Seoul is beautiful at night. The colourful lights from the different buildings, streets and roads filled with all sorts of vehicles are almost blinding. He squint his eyes, to a read a signboard at top of a building. Then changing his mind, he shakes his head and sighs.

"What am I doing?", he asks himself before hiding his face in the palms of his hands. After taking a moment and a deep breath, he walks slowly towards the patient.

At first he stands next to the bed but then he decides to sit on the chair, placed next to the patient's bed. Looking at the cannula syringe in her hand, he holds it ever so carefully. He looks at her pale face and his eyes turn glassy. Holding his tears back, he tries to speak in his gentle voice.

"J...Jihye-ah! Oppa is here again. Today is 25th of July 2008. The weather is rainy and humid. Oppa... did not forget the umbrella. Oppa remembered it like you always want him to. See? My hairstyle? It is still good. You asked me to colour my hair mahogany. I did... See? ammm... yaaah, Look at my forehead, I got few pimples", he moves his hair on a side of his forehead to show her, laughs a bit and then continues, "Oppa is ugly now... also, I have not been using my eyeliner lately, Jihye-ya... that makes Oppa uglier”

Biting his under lip, he finaly let the tears run now.

"Jihye-aaah! It has been 41 days", his voice is trembling now and he is not trying to control it. "If you wake up, Oppa will let you borrow his leather jackets... and those fur boots that I got from Italy. Oppa will give them to you. You can have that Givenchy scarf, Jihye. You are right. It suits you better than me. I will not stop you talking to your internet friends... yes...Oppa will... Oppa will tell you the password of his flat door... and his mobile phone too... Please wake up... Oppa will buy all the sweet things that Omma did not let you have ...Oppa will...", he chokes on his words as he holds her hand in his both hands, nearing her face.
"Oppa will let you have everything. Jihye-ah",

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter