Jellyfish

Echo

A/N: Hello everyone, I'm very sorry if it took months updating this fic. I've been very busy with work (I'm an old woman lol) and only found some time a couple of days ago. Chap 3 is already in the works and hopefully I can update fast. No promises, though. Thank you for reading!

=================================

 

Wonwoo woke up to a chorus of little birds singing, and the sound of little footsteps stomping, likely from the eager little kids at the elementary school across the street. It's a few minutes past seven in the morning, and the bed has already lost its cool from the night that has passed. A small gap between his thick, brown curtains let in some concentrated light hitting his face, the faint heat making sure he knows it's time to start the day. Squinting, he slowly felt a stinging sensation emanating from his eyes as he pries them open. His sharp, wolf eyes have evidently become softer along the edges, turning pink and puffy from shedding tears, over a story told in a strange phone call he remembers receiving before midnight. He traced the skin where his tears have trailed on his face with his warm fingertips, and remembered the boy on the other line and his dilema; how that person has been so eager to finally being able to reach out to his "hyung," th desperation in his weakened voice, and his final resolve to end his pain right then and there, severing ties to the one who holds his heart on a leash. 

 
Invisible trailmarks of saline were the only thing Wonwoo had. 
 
But he willed himself to stop from being overly dramatic so early in the morning and shook his head in disbelief. "It could have been a dream, right?" 
 
He considered the possibility, noting how spent he was last night, thanks to his thesis deadline, and on top of that, having to suffer from random annoying customers (and co-workers) at the office.
 
He's almost convinced that he had conjured the event while half-awake. It is a pre-requisite for any writing major.
 
"Yep, that makes more sense."
 
Maybe Murakami has been dreaming up his next novel, and his next character would be an existentially-bored, English Lit major named Jeon Wonwoo, and his penchant for answering calls on the third ring.
 
Jeon Wonwoo has received a phone call from an anonymous boy who is actually a person from the future, looking for his "hyung." After a series of spaghettti cooking, ferris wheel riding and talking cat chasing, it turns out Wonwoo is really the boy's estranged hyung, but Wonwoo hyung is missing from the future because he found a portal that allowed him to be displaced in the past, and thus he returned from where he started, in hopes of changing the course of events which had led to the anonymous boy's suffering.
 
Wonwoo cringed at the plot he came up with and wondered why he has chosen to get a degree in literature, as he is so bad at making up impromptu stories, and is grossly addicted to Ancient Aliens.
 
He spends more minutes like that, now lying face down on the bed while half of his brain is mocking his idiocy and the other half is still stuck on a daydream, still trying to make sense of the events from last night. He scanned his phone's call register and upon seeing an unknown number he had been connected with for a little over 30 minutes that midnight, it finally started to sink in. 
 
Everything that happened was real.
 
As if zapped into one of the crazy alternate-universes of Murakami novels he have been analyzing for the past 2 semesters, he got a ominous phone call one mundane night from a drunk, miserable stranger.
 
A phone call that made him see ugly things about himself that he has been trying to supress: In the company of friends, he is alone. Inside the four walls of his room, he is alone.
 
He has been so lonely all this time.
 
He wanted to cry, but decided that moping around wouldn't change a thing. He's gay, his family isn't exactly ok with it, his friends don't know he swings the other way. But he's living just fine, people around him think he's a pretty ok, generic person and he doesn't really want to be the center of attention. Maybe he's not exactly happy, he doesn't need to be very happy anyway. Happiness will only bring the same amount of grief. Better stay comfortable in the middle.
 
Jeon Wonwoo feels too much for others. But he can be extremely apathetic towards himself.
 
But he might be experiencing a little of a paradigm shift.
 
He stared blankly at his phone, contemplating if sending a message to the stranger would be okay or not. After listening to his drunk ramblings, acknowleding with nasaly uhuhm's everytime the stranger asks if "hyung" was still there and secretly crying at the boy's pain (which is his heart's little pity party for his own pain he never wants to acknowledge), Wonwoo somehow developed an unlikely affinity towards the young man's voice. He started to picture everything that the man on the other line has told about "hyung." 
 
No, he started conjuring the boy in his head. He thought of how he might look like, and how his voice sounds like in person. 
 
How his laugh sounds like, if he's no longer immersed in pain. 
 
Wonwoo thought hard if he should reach out to this nameless person, who barged into his life to spill out his misery, and then left without even thanking him for his time. As foolish as he is genuinely curious, he decides that it can't be that bad. Afterall, he needs to let the guy know that he is not the "hyung" he wanted to talk to. A reply or a no-reply would be equally fine. (But a reply would actually be really great.)
 
But before he can tap the message app on his iPhone, a prompt came in--
 
 
From: Soonyoung
Hey man you busy? Can you lend a hand I'm going nuts tryina finish some woodwork. 
 
To: Soonyoung
Wait I thought Jisoo would help?
 
From: Soonyoung
Something came up. I am so close to the deadline and it's only halfway done. I'm at my studio. PLEASE WON
 
To: Soonyoung
You're so screwed Kwon Soonyoung what are you gonna do without me??
 
From: Soonyoung 7:48AM
Thanks man you're the best!!! ^_−☆
 
 
I guess sending him a message can wait.
 
 
-----
 
 
"Hey wait up!"
 
A young man waves his hands while chasing the bus that has just left, trying to signal the driver to stop. Luckily it did, so the boy hopped in, almost tripping over the steps as the huge folded tripod strapped on his back has been caught at the doorway. The person seated at the front side of the bus had to help him with the other things he's carrying in both his arms-- more photography equipment, in order for him to be able to get inside the bus properly, and put his fare in the money box, flashing an exhausted but victorious smile at the driver. This is how his usual morning commute to school starts. 
 
He settles where 2 seats are unoccupied, so he can put his expensive gear beside him. He can't afford to lose them, or accidentally break them. For one, he's not well off. He's basically living off a meager allowance from his parents back in Anyangdo, who is in full support for their son who wanted to study in a good school in Seoul and eventually secure decent employment. He divides whatever amount of money he gets on rent, equipment, and food. Food being the last priority, although he's a big eater if his budget allows such indulgence. He finds a way to earn extra cash, though. Often, he helps friends in the architecture department color their design plates. Sometimes when he has more time, he accepts CAD plotting projects for engineering students. 
 
Recently he has also started to pose for head profile painting sessions held by Fine Arts students. He is a handsome, young man-- bright, expressive eyes framed by thick, long lashes; a smile that seems to exude genuine happiness, tinted with a bit of mischief while baring two prominent canine teeth; his facial bone structure, as described by some admiring students to be "personally sculpted by God himself" accentuated by his luminescent, golden skin. Art students noticed his unadulterated beauty and how inspiring it is (to make art or maybe for other things you need inspiration for), and he's one who grabs at every opportunity he gets.
 
With all these side jobs, he was mostly known as a former apprentice to a photographer named Taewoong, who earned art circle cred due to his passion for analog photography, in this age wherein taking digital photos is as easy (and as interesting) as watching paint dry. The young man aids the older in night classes and photoshoots, usually carrying and setting up gear, and whenever he needs a hand processing raw films. He learned a lot helping the photographer, and on top of that, the pay is good... among other things that made him stick to his apprenticeship. Until that one day when the photographer mysteriously disappeared.
 
"Oh this is my bus stop." 
 
The boy snapped from admiring the city scapes with the familiar view of his university gate. He scrambled to collect his things and pretty much struggled again treading the isle already occupied by some standing passengers, but like always, he never forgets to say thank you to the driver before getting off the bus.
 
He's still about 30 minutes early for his first class, so he heads off to meet his friend and roommate, who left their pad earlier. He owes his friend an explanation.
 
 
-------
 
 
"Oy, Kim, where the have you been last night? You know I usually don't meddle with your problems but do you even know I found you zombified in front of our door at ing 3 in the morning and have to drag your long body inside our room? I felt like my arms are gonna fall off you giant piece of ."
 
Jeonghan has a face of a Sistine angel, but he curses like the son of Satan himself.
 
"I just went strolling by the Han River and drank a little bit at Andromeda. Seungkwan called me up in the afternoon and told me that he might have found someone who can help me fi--"
 
"Oh, so this is about Taewoong-hyung again? For 's sake, Kim, you gotta stop looking for someone who is deliberately closing you off from their lives."
 
"But I need to talk to him and--"
 
"And what, try and get some sort of justification for him being a ual predator? Or beg for him to tag you along again because you miss his criminal ?"
 
"You know what, nothing." He was slightly offended by how Jeonghan views his intentions. "I only wanted to tell him whatever that's bottled up here. I only wanted to talk, and by that I mean I'll only be the one talking. It's a closure that I want for myself. I was the only one in love or disillusioned however the you wanna call that. He didn't owe me anything." 
 
He started his day with an infectious cheer, but not even an hour has passed and his mood is already starting to crumble.
 
"And I was able to do that last night."
 
"You did?"
 
"Yeah."
 
Jeonghan puffs a long drag from his almost forgotten cigarette and let the smoke out in a sigh. Despite showering him with cuss, Jeonghan is nothing less than a brother and a good friend that worries a lot for his broken roommate. He played taller boy's hair while they both stare towards the green football field.
 
"I need to head to class now. Ah, I ate your pizza and I was a bit sorry about it, but not anymore because you're an ." He took the cigarette from Jeonghan's mouth and quickly threw it at a nearby puddle.
 
"Kim gyu, you moron!"
 
"See you at home!"
 
 
------
 
 
"Wooooooonnnsss!!!"
 
A blond male with chubby little cheeks and 2 cute but very expressive slits for eyes lovingly called out his name out of excitement and relief, ran to his friend and ended up hugging Wonwoo at his thigh like a koala.
 
"Yah, Kwon Soonyoung, you better feed me like a king for this. You know I have my own stuff to finish!"
 
"But you gotta take a break from writing, Wonwoo, you pretty much write at school, at home... that, you also write at work! I am actually doing you a favor too, my friend."
 
"You totally sound like a swindler. What happened to Jisoo? I thought he's helping you on this?"
 
"Well, he only said that he needs to pick someone off from the airport. Apparently this person only let Jisoo know that he or she is coming back today, and that person is more important than my project, so yeah."
 
"Of course it is more important than your project. You had all the time to finish it early but you're just slacking off with Seokmin all the time!"
 
Soonyoung let go of Wonwoo's leg and lay on the floor, defeated. This only earned him a kick from Wonwoo but before he whines, the raven-haired boy grabbed his shameless friend by the arm and helped him stand up.
 
"Are we gonna start or what?"
 
 
---------
 
 
Wonwoo and Soonyoung spent the entire day toiling over the blond's project. While Soonyoung carves pieces of his sculpture, Wonwoo smoothens them out with sandpaper. He has worked with Soonyoung over projects several times to know what he's doing, with minimal supervision from the Art student. After painting and bolting the pieces together, they admired the giant wooden sculpture... Of a human and his jellyfish friend. 
 
"This is so you, Soonyoung."
 
The bright-eyed boy smiled in sheer delight.
 
"I know, I think this is my favorite one among all the pieces I've made."
 
"What does this mean?" Wonwoo asked, with genuine curiosity.
 
"You know when you meet people in their fragility, they are... so beautiful in their openness but also very dangerous when you touch them in the wrong places? But you still get drawn to them despite the imminent danger? I guess it's an overall representation of courage in getting close to someone." Soonyoung can be sensible sometimes.
 
"I thought it's only because you love jellyfish."
 
"Well there's that."
 
 
----------
 
 
The two friends ended the day with cheeseburger and some cheap beer. Wownoo got lost in Soonyoung's stories that he forgot it's almost midnight and he needs to do something.
 
"Holy , it's almost midnight I gotta get outta here."
 
"Chill, Wonderella. Do you even have a lover to go home to." A drunk Soonyoung teased his friend.
 
Wonwoo, who is still sober from all that alcohol is now riding an all-encompassing surge of trust, suddenly declared while pointing out his finger to stress out what he's about to say,
 
"I don't have a girlfriend, Soonyoung. I'm gay."
 
"Did I even say girlfriend? I know you're gay, Wons. I know since a long time ago when you've rejected all the girls I've set you up with."
 
"Oh. Uhm, yeah that's a lot. But... but you stuck around?"
 
"Yes! Just what do you think I am Jeon Wonwoo. I'm your best friend. We're beyond any of that."
 
The wolf-eyed boy was surprised, but happy finally coming out to his best friend, who will never abandon him after the revelation. He almost forgot that he's already standing by the door, ready to head out."
 
"Hey but I really have to go now! See you at school on Monday!" 
 
 
 
------------------
 
 
 
Wonwoo got home a bit before 1AM, and went straight to the bath to wash away the filth that he has accumulated from all the work he's done for the day. In the confines of his bathroom, and the comfort of the warm water flowing down his body, he has reverted back into thinking about the stranger who called last night. 
 
Little did he know that the said stranger has manifested himself again.
 
After about 15 minutes in the bathroom, Wonwoo came out, now dressed in a fresh but tattered white shirt, and black pyjama pants. He wanted to conquer his bed and rest his tired limbs, but his thoughts didn't want him to sleep just yet, so he took a bottle of beer from the fridge to follow through the alcohol he's consumed at Soonyoung's house as they weren't enough to relax his mind. He took his phone from the nightstand and thought of sending a message to the stranger or not, but looking at his notifications, he doesn't need to contemplate about it the entire night anymore.
 
From: xxx-xxx-xxxx 
Hi. I'm very sorry about last night and thank you, I know you've listened to me. I'll never call again, so you can forget about us.
 
Wonwoo was relieved but a part of him is a bit devastated from the message when he read the word, "forget." He typed a reply anyway,
 
To: xxx-xxx-xxxx 
No worries, man.|
 
Wonwoo stared at the blinking cursor while he deciding on what to write. To end the stranger's little bliss in finally being able to talk to the person he's been searching for a very long time. But this guy needs to know, so he added:
 
To: xxx-xxx-xxxx 
No worries, man. I hate to break this to you after all, but I'm actually not your hyung. I'm the new owner of this #. I'm sorry. :( 
 
He sent the message and felt a slight pang in his heart. He sent another message.
 
To: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Anyway I wish you better days ahead. 
 
He felt his own loneliness again, rearing its ugly head after sending the messages. But it's not about him, he tried to convince himself. He reads his own messages another time. While believing that it's aptly straight to the point, and polite enough to not rub it onto his pain, deep down he wanted to ask if he's alright. He didn't really want to end their conversation when it just started.
 
From: xxx-xxx-xxxx 
I know you're not Taewoong-hyung! That's why I am saying sorry, bec I realized that i may have caused u discomfort. Not everyone appreciates a gay love story.
 
Wonwoo smiled. Somehow, the young man acknowledging that he knows he's talking to a different person on the other line, gives the wolf-eyed boy a sense of existence. 
 
To: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Apology accepted. But seriously, are you better now?
 
From: xxx-xxx-xxxx
I will be. In time. :)
 
The brevity of the reply tells him it has passed. He's glad the stranger expressed willingness to move on. That's enough for Wonwoo. His role ends here.
 
He was about to fall asleep, totally resigned to his belief that last night was just going to be a memory, when all of a sudden his phone beeped again, signaling a new message.
 
From: xxx-xxx-xxxx
I know this may be a out of line, I'm a strange person and I know you can tell. But may I perhaps ask for your name? I'm Kim Mingyu. :)
 
It didn't take 3 seconds for Wonwoo to save his name on his contacts.
 
To: Kim Mingyu
I'm Jeon Wonwoo. It's nice to finally have a name to associate to the drunk creepo calling a recycled phone number last night!
 
The sleepy, slightly drunk boy wanted to take the message back as it might have gone across too friendly, or maybe offensive.
 
To: Wonwoo
Hey Wonwoo! Where are you from? I'm from Anyang but I'm currently a uni student studying Photography in Seoul. Goodnight, wherever you are!
 
Mingyu is weird but the sweet kind of weird. And Wonwoo has no idea why he's feeling tingly all over but blames it on the alcohol.
 
To: Kim Mingyu
I'm also in Seoul, and I'm a Lit student. Just a few more weeks, though. I'm graduating this semester.
 
He wondered why he even told Mingyu that much, as if he's trying to carry on with the conversation.
 
Ring~
 
"Mingyu?"
 
"How did you know it's me? You saved my number? Yes it's me, and hey you're graduating so you must be older than me! So you're really a hyung, Wonwoo-hyung!" 
 
"Huh, so you're younger? That's why you're such a cry baby!"
 
"Waaaa Wonwoo-hyung!" 
 
Mingyu's laugh is as warm and sweet as a cup of hot chocolate in a winter morning. Wonwoo felt an unfamiliar feeling swirling inside his chest, and his cheeks were flushed. Despite only having talked to the boy last night, he let go of the lack of common manners and enjoyed the fast-escalating friendship.
 
The boy spilled his heart to me without any hesitation. This is ok, right?
 
I'd really like to talk to him some more.