final.

lips | Hyunghyuk

Like normal, Minhyuk couldn't get much sleep in that day. None of them really had time to sleep with such busy schedules - but for Minhyuk, it really didn't help their situation when he continued to torture himself. He blamed Hyungwon and his stupidly, amazingly plump, extremely intoxicating, beautiful pink lips.

He would never admit it out loud, but Minhyuk was very curious about how said lips would feel against his own. He wasn't about to ruin a friendship, though, so he settled with watching as the makeup noonas made Hyungwon's lips impossibly prettier in the waiting room of the music show.

He was getting his own makeup done, as we speak. Everyone was wearing skinny, ripped black jeans with shiny rings hanging from the waistband of the pants and a slightly loose fit long sleeved shirt that was actually very soft. And, of course, Minhyuk noticed that today some members had more showing around their collarbone/neck area.

Namely, he could see Hyungwon's collarbones from his seat across the room. He knew Hyungwon was handsome but he never really looked at him. It wasn't that Hyungwon had this chiseled, beautiful body with a six-pack and toned skin. Minhyuk worried about him often because Hyungwon was on the skinnier side and he lacked muscles compared to other members.

Consumed in his worries, Minhyuk must have been zoning out because the next thing he knew Kihyun was smacking the back of his head to get his attention.

"I swear," Kihyun muttered, taking a deep breath, "If you have some girl that you're not telling us about - "

"What? No! I don't have anyone - Why would you think so -" Kihyun rolled his eyes and dragged him into the hallway outside of their waiting room. As the coordinator checked their outfits and gave them each their microphones, Wonho turns to Minhyuk.

"You look like a worried boyfriend. Tell me, honestly, is she pretty?" Wonho laughs when the tips of Minhyuk's ears go red. He has to continuously deny the new rumor spread between s to get them to stop bugging him about it. He doesn't look in Hyungwon's way, and he doesn't have to either because Hyungwon says nothing on the matter.

That night, Minhyuk realizes something rather important. s think he's straight. Hyungwon probably thinks he's straight.

And then, in the middle of his thoughts, he comes to another realization that why should it matter if Hyungwon thinks he's straight? he's not about to confess, right?

Right?

--

It's been a week since those confusing thoughts crossed his mind. Since then, he's kept himself from staring at Hyungwon so often. Things don't go as planned though since his lips are still damn attractive.

Hyungwon was never good at taking care of his lips in the past. After becoming an idol, he uses a lot more lip balm. He uses even more than the other members, now, because his fans like his lips and so he has to take care of them.

In addition to his fans, Minhyuk also likes his lips (if you couldn't already tell). Minhyuk could spend hours thanking every god in every religion for this.

It's eight in the morning and Minhyuk is sitting at the kitchen table, groggy. Kihyun is busy with breakfast and Changkyun is in the living room watching some cartoon. 

When Hyungwon walks in, it's a strange sight because Hyungwon is never up this early.

"Minhyuk-hyung, can you do me a favor?" is the first thing that slips past his lips and Minhyuk would be marveling over how much he loves the sound of his name on his lips if he wasn't being addressed. 

"Sure, what is it?" he replies, and Hyungwon sits down at the table across from Minhyuk. Hyungwon pulls out his wallet, followed by 10,000 won.

"I need you to get me some lip balm," Hyungwon states, sliding the bill towards Minhyuk. "One of those big packs of multiple containers, if 10,000 can buy that."

Minhyuk agrees without thinking twice because it's Hyungwon and he'd be doing a service to himself keeping those lips in good shape. God, he thinks, what's happening to me? 

--

That week they had light schedules. Most members spent their time lounging around, only leaving every now and then for some photo shoot or interview. On their mini-vacation that lasted two weeks, Minhyuk learned that his little infatuation over his fellow member was more than he thought it was.

Over the days, Minhyuk would notice that Hyungwon's lips weren't the only part of him worth attention. Hyungwon would hog the couch, stretching himself along the span of the furniture. Minhyuk wouldn't mind, though. He'd gladly sit on the floor instead if it meant he could fawn over how long Hyungwon's legs were and how good he looked in sweatpants and god i would love to be sitting on his lap right now instead -

Minhyuk stops himself. This was a harmless crush. He knew he shouldn't let it get any bigger than it is now, but Hyungwon is this tall, handsome, attractive, charming, delicious young man and he was getting sidetracked again. 

Hyungwon was wearing simple gray sweatpants, a black cap that had the phrase "in dog years i'm dead" lining the front in white, and an oversized black hoodie. Even the simplest outfit made Minhyuk wonder if he could make a grabage bag look good. He probably could.

Minhyuk watched Hyungwon pick himself off of the couch and leave the place after taking a set of keys with him. He had said something about a sudden craving and Minhyuk left it at that. To his left, a laugh reaches his ears.

"What's so funny, maknae?" Minhyuk asks, looking at Changkyun weirdly. Changkyun moves from his spot against the doorway and sits on the couch, next to Minhyuk who's still sitting on the floor.

"You are so obvious. So cute." Changkyun says, confusing Minhyuk even more. This maknae talked to him like he - well - wasn't the maknae.

"What am I being obvious about?" Minhyuk is craning his neck up to look at him.

"You like Hyungwon." 

At that, Minhyuk jumps up and smacks Changkyun across the back of his skull, but then he apologies right after because he's not that mean, he just acted on impulse.

"Quiet down! Someone will hear you - and this, this ridiculous lie. Where did you get that from?" he bluffs. Changkyun cackles.

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone. I don't think I need to, anyway. Kihyun has a hunch also." 

Distraught, Minhyuk falls desperately back onto the edge of the sofa, grunting. Changkyun's giggle reaches his ears once more. Said boy was probably feeling playful today and Minhyuk knew he wouldn't hear the end of this.

Changkyun plays with the strands of hair poking up from Minhyuk's head. "So, when are you going to tell him, hyung?"

"What do you mean?" replies Minhyuk in a flat tone. He's convinced he's screwed, that he's not going to be able to look at Hyungwon in the same way he used to for a while. A quiet voice in the back of his mind liked the idea.

He didn't listen to that voice. Instead, Changkyun was already getting out another reply.

"What do you mean 'what do you mean'?! You have to tell him! You guys would be so cute together. Just imagine - "

"Have you forgotten that we have a career ahead of us and thousands of fans counting on us?" In a quieter voice, Minhyuk adds in, "not to mention that he might not return my feelings."

The thought broke his heart and he didn't like that. This was all becoming more than it should have been. This little crush will blow over he's sure of it.

It doesn't matter when words comes out of Changkyun's mouth once again because Minhyuk isn't listening. He'd rather be thinking of something else right now. When he hears Changkyun sigh in frustration before leaving the room, a small frown etches itself into his lips.

Why did he have to make it so hard for himself?

--

Those two weeks could have been a golden opportunity to make progress with Hyungwon like his heart wanted, but his mind didn't seem to agree and so here they were, shooting some variety show, and Minhyuk didn't feel any better.

Changkyun had promised not to tell anyone else about this but that didn't mean he didn't give Minhyuk worried glances when the older was forced to go against Hyungwon in a game.

The game was just Tug-of-War. It was well known that Hyungwon was one of the weakest in the group, and Minhyuk knew he definitely had a chance to win in this scenario. He tried to push away the fact that this was Hyungwon, who may be the weakest in the group but the strongest in his heart.

Ugh. As much as that sentence made him cringe he, unfortunately, knew it was all too true. He wondered if this would hinder his performance.

Well, he thought as the host got ready to blow the whistle, we'd be finding out pretty soon.

Emotionally, Hyungwon could probably have him in tears, but strength just wasn't his thing. Minhyuk was able to pull harder and stronger that Hyungwon and Hyungwon must've been extra sleepy that day because the taller boy ended up crashing into Minhyuk.

So now, they were on the floor in an awkward position, Minhyuk's face heating up and Hyungwon's twisted into embarrassment. As cute as he looked, Minhyuk scrambled to get up and he was thankful the members and hosts were laughing so loudly to fill in the awkwardness creating a gap between Hyungwon and him.

Not only was his crush driving him crazy but now he's extremely aware of the fact that Hyungwon hasn't looked him in the eyes since - well - a while.

His mind kept going back to the fans. It would be his fault that Hyungwon is becoming distant from him - because, seriously, would you be completely comfortable around some creep who spent his free time staring you down? Realizing his foolish behavior and not having the guts to fix it, Minhyuk hoped the fans wouldn't catch on long enough for him to fix things.

But to fix things, he would have to know how. And he didn't. This is where Changkyun came back into the picture.

The second time Changkyun and him talked about his situation with Hyungwon, it's in their room. Changkyun lays on his side, listening to Minhyuk from his bed. Minhyuk is pouring out his frustrations and Changkyun takes everything in, occasionally letting Minhyuk know he's listening with the nod of his head.

"Hyung, why don't you just straight-up tell him how you feel? He doesn't even have to like you back if you don't want to get with him, right? Just clear the air. Hyungwon and you have been close for a while now, neither of you should be stupid enough to let this get in the way." Changkyun tries his best to help out, he really does. He can only do so much with his little experience and Minhyuk is thankful even as he points out everything wrong with this plan.

"He might think it's weird that I like him. He won't want to be friends with someone that has feelings for him, telling him will just make things worse." Minhyuk groans into his hands as they cover his face in shame for his feelings. Changkyun thinks that maybe this is more than just a crush.

"Hyung, maybe it's not just a crush. You're always so positive and cheerful and if something as silly as a crush is stressing you out so much then - "

"I really care about him, maknae." Minhyuk breathes out before his brain can process it. The words don't feel weird on his tongue. He feels almost relieved. "There are more important things than my feelings. I just want to be on good terms with him. I can't do that when his smile alone sends me into a ing mess."

The words surprise the both of them. Honestly, Minhyuk doesn't care. He's thinking of all of the fans he'd be letting down and the horrible things it will do to their careers. He can almost imagine the headlines if they were ever revealed to be dating. Idol vocalist Chae Hyungwon captures fans with his looks, too bad he's gay for his own member.

He's glad that Hyungwon didn't have feelings for him. Minhyuk couldn't bare the thought that Hyungwon could ever go through the same i'm willing to suffer if he's okay self-pity train for him. He's really screwed this time, he thinks.

He feels Changkyun's arms wrap around him from behind, where the maknae has sat up to place his chin on his shoulder, pouting. "I don't know what to tell you, hyung. Maybe you should tell Hyunwoo or Kihyun. Or even Hoseok, he's close to Hyungwon."

"Which is exactly why I'm not going to him." Minhyuk sighs, tired. It's 11pm and he honestly feels like for wanting to avoid the situation temporarily and fall asleep, forgetting his worries for just a short bit.

"If you're so stressed out, I read somewhere that comforting presences help. I don't know if 'comforting' is the right way to describe me but want to sleep in my bunk tonight?"

At Changkyun's words, the devil himself walks through the door.

Hyungwon is looking at the scene before him with a confused and slightly suspicious gaze. When Minhyuk's breath hitches in his throat, he's glad Changkyun does the talking.

"What's up, hyung?" Changkyun asks, lifting his chin from Minhyuk's shoulder. Minhyuk's mind wanders and he wonders if Hyungwon's judging glare is because he heard some of their conversation.

Hyungwon shrugs, "I came to borrow Jooheon's headphones. Mine broke. Do you know where he keeps them?"

Minhyuk, as usual, is avoiding eye contact, and he finds himself slipping his hand into Changkyun's and squeezing as if to say Help!! Dying!! 

He knew he was being overdramatic. That's how he was. Even when Changkyun regrettingly detatches his hand and hops off of the bed to find the headphones for Hyungwon, Minhyuk is upset when Hyungwon doesn't address him with more than a nervous nod.

Minhyuk's eyes find purchase on the increasingly interesting ceiling while Changkyun is handing Hyungwon a pair of Beats and then Hyungwon is on his way.

Changkyun sighs, running a hand through his hair. Caring for his hyungs could be difficult, but he hoped he was helping out at least a little bit. He was already thinking of ways to solve his hyung's problem in his sneaky little head, and he planned on talking to Kihyun about it because he already had half an idea about Minhyuk and Hyungwon. Sorry, Minhyuk.

"So, about my offer?" Back in Minhyuk's mind, he was snapped out of his train of thought by the question. He realizes that having someone know about his problems and taking some of the worries off of Minhyuk's shoulders is helping very much so. 

That night, Minhyuk falls asleep easier snuggled next to his friend, grateful for the maknae even when there are so many things to worry about. With all of the stress of practicing, promotions, and Hyungwon, Changkyun thinks outside of Minhyuk's initial comort zone and comes up with a rough draft of what is the beginning of Hyunghyuk.

--

If you're wondering how Minhyuk survives living in the same dorm as Hyungwon, pay attention. 

He doesn't. He really doesn't.

He blames everything in existence for this situation. He blames, Kihyun, for accidently locking the door from the outside of the room. He blames Wonho for suggesting to go out to eat today instead of instant food. He also blames Changkyun, Shownu, and Jooheon for completely forgetting about the two of them.

He wasn't dumb. As many people may have thought, Minhyuk was not a complete airhead what the changkyun i thought i could trust you. In the awkward silence that is slowly but surely swallowing him whole, Minhyuk thinks of all the horrible revenge he'll be getting on Changkyun.

Why, you might still ask: Hyungwon and Minhyuk were currently locked in Hyungwon, Shownu, and Wonho's shared room, God knows how Kihyun managed it.

Minhyuk first realized it when he tried to open the door and voila, the knob didn't turn like it was supposed to. Any shouts that came from Minhyuk went unnoticed; maybe because he kept it down due to the fact that Hyungwon was actually napping right now, or maybe because the members were conspiring against him. He figured it was the latter.

He knew why he was in here. Changkyun must have planned it without having a single care in the world hey let's just lock them in a room for a few hours and pray something happens. Minhyuk nervously chewed on his bottom lip.

As he carefully thought about ways to handle this, Hyungwon decides it's time to wake up. Hyungwon turns over groggily, and Minhyuk's chest can't help but swell at the sight of a sleepy Hyungwon with his eyes cutely squinted and low grunts escaping as he pulls himself up.

"Oh. Minhyuk, what..." he yawns, stretching his arms above his head to become more aware of his surroundings, "What's up...?"

Hyungwon's appearance right now was not helping Minhyuk right now. With his hair rustled messily atop his head, Minhyuk was barely able to manage a reply.

Chuckling awkwardly, and not forgetting to chastise himself for it afterward, Minhyuk explains, "We're kind of locked in here. The members left for dinner and I think they planned this."

A few seconds of silence followed as Hyungwon shuffled on his bed, swinging his legs off and climbing down from the bunk. Minhyuk didn't know what to expect - would Hyungwon ignore him the whole time or would he just go back to sleep (though Minhyuk doubted it since he was getting up as we speak - hey that rhymed!).

"Why would they have planned this?" he hears Hyungwon mutter as he finally sits down next to Minhyuk. There's nothing special to do in here so they would either die of boredom or die of awkwardness, Minhyuk thought.

"I... don't know." Minhyuk answers, and even though he's half lying he's still half telling the truth. It doesn't matter anyway.

"I think you're lying." Hyungwon sighs, and Minhyuk is surprised. He wasn't expecting Hyungwon to bring anything up. Looks like they would be dying of awkwardness.

Minhyuk is just dumbly gaping at him and Hyungwon rolls his eyes. "It's pretty obvious you've been ignoring me lately. I don't know what I did wrong, Min, but the members seem to want it fixed."

Minhyuk realizes that this is happening. Knowing that his relationship with Hyungwon will not get any better if he just ignores the problem, he's gonna have to confess. It doesn't sit well with him.

He's not looking at Hyungwon when he replies. "You didn't do anything wrong. I'm sorry I've been avoiding you..." He can only mentally smack himself repeatedly because of how lame he sounds right now.

"Care to tell me why you've been avoiding me, then? You can't just leave me hanging like that." There's a sudden pleading tone in Hyungwon's voice and Minhyuk crumbles when he hears how tight his voice is. 

"I didn't mean any harm, really, I just... I needed some... distance..." Minhyuk hated this. He hated not being able to just spit it out just get it over with. He already knows this will end badly. He almost flinches when Hyungwon speaks.

"What the hell do you mean you needed distance?" He can hear the harshness in Hyungwon's voice and the sound of his own heart breaking. "I'm tired of this. If you don't want anything to do with me after more than a year of being my friend, don't make me suffer like this."

Hyungwon sounds hurt and betrayed towards the end of his little outburst and Minhyuk now knows that he's not the only one in pain. No matter how much he wanted to cower away from the world at the moment, he couldn't lead Hyungwon on like this.

Many deep breaths later he finally finds his words.

"It's because I like you." 

Hyungwon scoffs.

"You expect me to believe that bull excuse? I see what's between you and Changkyun, I'm not blind." As if Minhyuk isn't already shocked enough, he adds, "For you to claim you return my feelings when I know you don't breaks my heart, but it makes me so angry I might break your neck. Bastard."

Although Hyungwon is practically fuming with tears threatening to spill, Minhyuk doesn't hesitate to lean forward and crash their lips together.

Hyungwon's eyes are wide and he doesn't get the chance to melt into the kiss because Minhyuk has already pulled away, his lips twitching. He knows Hyungwon is still mad; this isn't over yet.

"What the - "

"I'm not lying. Everything about you has been driving me crazy for the past month and a half - your lips, your smile, your cute cheeks, your long legs, your sassy attitude - everything. I didn't even know if you were gay, and I was worrying about our careers the entire time, Hyungwon." His eyes are soft as he looks into Hyungwon's. "I would have never hurt you like this if I knew you liked me back."

"But Changkyun - "

" - has been helping me out. Do you know how stressful it is living by your crush 24/7? I needed someone by my side if I wanted to survive."

At this point, Hyungwon's brain is processing everything he's just been told. He's not angry anymore, yet rather delighted but he's not showing it on his face. "You thought of our careers. What do you mean?"

Minhyuk sighed. "I was worried that our little... drift... would be noticed by the fans. I didn't want them to suspect anything that would hurt the group, or them." Hyungwon replied with a small nod.

He cleared his throat. It was too late to back out now. "What are you thinking right now?"

"I'm thinking that I'd like to forget about all of this foolishness and kiss you right now."

"First! We need to hug it out." There he is. The bright and childish side of Minhyuk that he found so difficult to appear was finally back, and he could not be any happier than he was right now. 

Hyungwon chuckled and wrapped his arms around Minhyuk, squeezing him tight against his chest. Minhyuk puffed out a laugh and they fell back onto the bed together.

Hyungwon brings his mouth close to Minhyuk's ear when he says: "Wanna just sleep until they free us? There's a full schedule tomorrow."

Minhyuk smiles against Hyungwon's cheek. "Jokes on them, we'll be fully rested, ready to steal all of their fans at that concert tomorrow." 

Hyungwon pulls back to study Minhyuk's face. That face that would make him so angry yet sad at the same time. Now all the two felt was happiness.

"You're not gonna leave me without a kiss right?" Hyungwon mutters, their faces close. He has their foreheads touching and right now nothing feels better than being in his arms, Minhyuk thinks.

He doesn't even get out a proper reply, just a nod, before their second kiss happens. It's sweet as they're both just enjoying finally being together - so close together. With a protective hand slung over his hip, Minhyuk is overwhelmed with emotions.

Hyungwon's lips are soft and it feels like nothing could ever recreate this feeling. Slowly, Hyungwon's lips move and they peck him on the corner of his lips, then his cheek, trailing all the way around his ear and the side of his neck. 

Soon enough, the two lovers are snuggled up against each other and anyone who had a problem with it could answer to Hyungwon's middle finger.

--

i really like how this turned out. i know i'm not the best writer and i'm always worried about how realistic everything seems, how fast the story moves, things like that. if anyone has feedback please leave it in the comments section. expect some more monsta x fics bc they are my babies -chenlovesyou