All We Do

Those Three Words (ChanBaek)

It was exactly one o'clock when his phone rang. Chanyeol lifted the screen to his face and felt his stomach drop. He knew the number displayed there but had never bothered to put it in his contacts. That number reached his phone almost every day for the last two months, killing Chanyeol inside just a little bit more every time.

With a shaky breath he swiped the screen and put the phone to his ear. Breathlessly, and already knowing who was on the other line, he said, "Hello?"

"Channie!" Baekhyun's voice sung delightedly from the other end. "It's Baekhyun!"

"Hi, Baekhyun...why are you calling?" Chanyeol tried to sound cheery. He wasn't sure if it worked or not.

There was shuffling from the other end, the ruffling of sheets and the buzz of machinery, and Baekhyun replied, "Baekhyun is in the hospital...he wants Chanyeol to come see him! Baekhyun likes Chanyeol and misses him." He giggled through the phone.

"Oh...when do you want me to come see you?"

"All the time! But you can't come, not all the time. Baekhyun asked the nice nursies if you could stay with him but they said no...they're not always nice...b-but Baekhyun has been in the hospital for a long time and he's lonely. Baekhyun wants Channie!"

"Uh...yeah...Channie wants to see Baekhyun too."

"Baekhyun wants to show Chanyeol all of his drawings! Nursies and Doctor have Baekhyun draw a-a-and he wants to show Chanyeol. And then they can eat ice cream in th-the cafeteria together. Nursies always let Baekhyun have dessert if he eats his vegetables!" 

Chanyeol didn't respond to Baekhyun's suggestion, but asked another question instead. "H-How have you been feeling, Baekhyun? Have there been any other...you know..."

Chanyeol winced and pinched the bridge of his nose; he could almost hear Baekhyun smile. "Baekhyun has been very good. Baekhyun doesn't cry as much anymore. Because nursies take care of him...but Baekhyun misses Channie..." His voice became smaller, more solemn. "The days here are very long, Channie. Baekhyun misses Chanyeol. Baekhyun is lonely. Nursies aren't always with Baekhyun, so the day is very boring."

"Are the nurses good to you?"

"Y-Yes..." Baekhyun was quiet for a moment and Chanyeol could discern the other's nervous breathing from the other end. "Does Channie not...Chanyeol hasn't come to visit yet...does Chanyeol not like Baekhyun...?"

Chanyeol let out a soundless sigh and put his head down in his free arm, face tensing with the threat of tears. He needed to take a deep breath before he could reply.

"N-No, no that's not it Baekhyun. I just haven't had time to visit."

Lie.

"But I'll come soon, I promise."

Lie.

"How long will you be in the hospital?"

Baekhyun's voice sounded shaky and unsure when he responded. "Uh...Baekhyun...doesn't know..."

"Look Baekhyun I...I have to go..."

Lie.

Baekhyun was silent. Chanyeol could picture the scene: the small boy sitting cross-legged in bed, sheets in a nest around him, fingers twisting nervously in his lap.

"N-N-N-Now?"

"Uh yeah I uh have something to do..."

Lie.

"B-But...Baek-Baekhyun loves Channie."

"I know."

"When will Channie come visit Baekhyun?"

"Soon. Remember, I promise."

Lie.

"O-O-O-Okay. B-But Baekhyun..."

Oh no. Tears. Chanyeol could hear the crack in Baekhyun's voice, the shuddery breath, the pinch in his vocals.

Maybe Chanyeol was selfish. He didn't want to hear Baekhyun cry; when he was in need of help all Chanyeol wanted to do was turn away and run. He couldn't stand Baekhyun crying because it hurt too much.

"I have to go Baekhyun. Sorry."

"Baekhyun loves -"

Chanyeol ended the call.

The room was eerily silent, too hot and stuffy and Chanyeol hated how hot his face felt as fresh, rare tears came to his eyes. He growled and wiped his face with his hands roughly. He wasn't supposed to feel this ty about neglecting Baekhyun. So why did he feel so bad?

Chanyeol sat back and glared out the window, wishing the sun would set so that he could just go to bed. Nothing felt right. All he could think about was that little, gentle man.

Baekhyun, I'm sorry.

Chanyeol didn't get another call from Baekhyun after that.