A New Family Member

Apocalyptic Dream

A couple months pass, and the others become like family to me. We live in the house, and while it definitely is a difficult existence, at least we have each other. By now I had read several of the old books in the study, and they were enough to pass the time and create fantasies of a time before now, when life was simpler, when people didn’t live in continuous fear.

    Besides reading books, Yoongi had discovered I could sing, and put that to use. One night I had been quietly singing the words to a song my mother sang to me when I was little, and even though I thought everyone was asleep, Yoongi apparently heard me and listened to the whole song. The next morning he begged me to sing some of his lyrics for him, and since then he always came to me when he wanted to try out new melodies or see how his music sounded.

The others didn’t openly acknowledge my singing, however at night, just before bed, Yoongi would always have me try out new lyrics, and the house would go silent. I was somewhat embarrassed, but I also think it brought some comfort to everyone, so I agree to keep practicing with Yoongi.

 

One morning I wake up, the sunlight streaming into the room and dancing over the bookshelf, to hear Hoseok marching around the house, stamping his feet and occasionally grumbling. I peek out the door and see Jin shaking his head, urging me to come into the kitchen quietly. After sneaking down the hallway and stepping into the kitchen, Jin sighs.

“Is Hoseok in one of his moods?” I ask quietly.

“Yes, and Taehyung and Namjoon are still on their necessities run. I’m not sure when they’ll be back.” Jin replies. We all knew that only Taehyung could distract Hoseok and calm him down when he was acting like this, and I hope they return soon. They had left early yesterday morning and headed toward the nearest town to steal some necessities. Canned food, toilet paper, soap, etc. It usually was a day and a half journey altogether, so with luck they should be back soon. The town was, however, taken over by the afflicted, and if they were spotted...

“What set it off this time?” I ask tentatively. Last time I saw Hoseok like this, it was because he had lost the bracelet his sister had given him during the last run into town.

“I’m not sure, but I personally think he just didn’t get any sleep without Taehyung next to him. That, and we’re out of toilet paper.” Jin says, still whispering, and I can’t help but chuckle. Without sleep, Hoseok went from the happiest sunbeam on the planet to a grumbling badger.

“Where’s Yoongi?” I inquire.

“You know Yoongi. He’s still dead asleep.” Jin informs me, making me laugh some more.

Unfortunately, Hoseok caught wind of my laughter, and barges into the kitchen.

“What are you laughing at?? You think it’s funny when a man has to use the restroom and there’s no toilet paper??” It’s nearly impossible for me to quell my laughter, but I manage to hold it in, and grab Hoseok’s hand to pull him out the door.

“Come on, let’s go get some water so we can have breakfast.” I look back to see Jin looking at me gratefully, but Hoseok pulls away.

“I bet they’ll be here by the time we get back.” I say, trying to tempt Hoseok into coming with me to pass the time until Taehyung and Namjoon return. He huffs, then relents and follows me out the door. The days are starting to cool off as fall approaches, and I enjoy the long walk to the well, even if Hoseok is dragging his feet the entire way and grumbling insults to the passing vegetation.

“What are you looking at?” He spits at a curious bird.

“Yeah you better run, you stupid amphibian. Who even gave you legs anyway, you mutated snake.” He calls at a passing lizard.

“What’s your purpose, you sad failure of a tree. Don’t just stand there, looking intimidating. You and your needles don’t scare me.” He yells at one of the many Joshua trees on our path.

“Seriously Hoseok? Insulting innocent cacti? I thought you were above this.” I shake my head in amusement. Hoseok just sticks his tongue out at me, then falls silent. We finally reach the well, and fill up two large buckets each, then head back to the house. Even though the day is somewhat cooler than before, carrying heavy buckets with the sun beating down causes my black hair to stick with sweat to my forehead. Eventually we get back to the house, and when we open the door, we find with relief Namjoon and Taehyung sitting unharmed on the couch.

When they see us come in, Taehyung runs over to Hoseok, taking the buckets from him and setting them in the kitchen. He comes back, and orders Hoseok to close his eyes. Hoseok obeys, and when Taehyung tells him to open, he’s holding a friendship bracelet in his hands.

“I uh, know how upset you were when you lost the one your sister gave you, and I know this doesn’t replace it, but I found it in town and thought maybe it would cheer you up a little…” Taehyung says, nervously shifting back and forth. Hoseok stares at him for a moment, then breaks into the largest grin I had seen from him all day. He excitedly has Taehyung tie it around his wrist, then the two retreat to their room talking excitedly about their days.

I smile, watching the two of them, happy that they have each other. As they shut the door to their room, Yoongi finally emerges from his shared bedroom with Jin and Namjoon, his hair a mess from sleeping half the day.

“What was that all about?” He says groggily.

“Don’t worry about it.” Jin says, shaking his head in wonder of the two and joining Namjoon on the couch. Yoongi shrugs and joins them, claiming the chair. I decide to sit on the floor and look over all the things Namjoon and Taehyung brought back from the town.

I am inspecting a nice notebook that Namjoon had grabbed for Yoongi when there is a knock on the door. All of us tense and look at one another. Nobody moves. Who could be knocking, when all of us are accounted for, and we are so far out in the desert?

The knocking comes again, more incessant, and fear flashes in our eyes. Taehyung and Hoseok emerge quietly from their room, looking at us with expressions that ask, “Did we really hear that??” but none of us make a sound.

The knocking came one more time, almost sounding defeated. Jin, rising slowly, makes his way to the door and looks out the peephole. We wait in suspense, and he looks back at us, his face confused, but he slowly opens the door.

There, standing in the entryway, is a boy.

    

    He is wearing a red hoodie, with the hood pulled over his head, likely to protect his neck from the sun’s rays. He had black skinny jeans and army boots on, and when he pulled his hood off, his black hair was messy and unkempt. However, the important thing, the thing we all focused on most, was his eyes - and the fact that they were brown, not red. We all let out a collective sigh of relief, and the boy looks around at us all nervously.

    “I-”

    “How did you find us?” Namjoon immediately drills him.

    “I- I saw you in town, and I noticed your eyes. I didn’t know there were still others like me, and so I followed you…”

    “You followed them all the way through the desert?” Jin says with surprise. The boy nods.

    “What’s your name?” I ask him, still sitting down. He looks at me with a stare so intense, so lost and so hopeful that I feel a chill down my spine.

    “My name is Jeon Jungkook…” He says quietly. His gaze continues to bore through my entire being, and I’m too uncomfortable to think of anything else to say.

    “Well Jungkook, don’t worry. You’re safe here.” Jin says, and thankfully Jungkook finally relents his gaze and he looks at Jin to nod gratefully. Jin leads him into the living room, and shoos Yoongi out of the chair so that Jungkook can sit down. Groaning, Yoongi joins me on the floor, and Hoseok and Taehyung squeeze onto the couch with Namjoon and Jin. None of us can stop staring at Jungkook, and I can tell the guy is getting uncomfortable. He seems like the shy type, and so I try to start a conversation to fill the silence.

    “How long have you been on your own?” I ask him. Okay, maybe that was a bad idea, because now his soul gauging stare is back. After a moment of awkward quiet, he looks down into his lap.

    “It’s been about two months. The town was taken over by that...that virus. Anyone who wasn’t eaten became one of them. Including my family. There aren’t any towns nearby, and anyways, everywhere else seemed to have the same story. So I hid out in abandoned buildings and boarded up stores, hoping that I’d run into others, but I never did. Not until I saw those two break into a convenience store," he motions to Namjoon and Taehyung, "and I just knew they had to be like me. I followed them, staying hidden, until I could make out their eyes and confirm my suspicions. I was relieved when I saw that their eyes weren’t red like everyone else’s.”

“Why didn't you talk to us then, before following us all the way across the desert?” Namjoon inquirs suspiciously.

“I was too scared. I could tell you had guns, I could see them when you were stealing. I was worried that if I approached you, you would think I was one of them and shoot me.” Jungkook says nervously. Honestly, I can't blame him, Namjoon and Taehyung are quite intimidating when they have their guns with them.

 

    Jungkook’s stomach growls, and I offer to run into the kitchen and get him some food. When I return, Jin is introducing everyone to Jungkook. I hand him the can of beans and a spoon, and sit back down on the floor.

    “...and that, is Jimin.” Jin finishes. I grin at Jungkook, and he looks at me yet again, with such a strange look in his eyes. Then his lips turn up in a small smile, and my stomach makes a weird flip. The smile is gone as fast as it came, and Jungkook digs into the beans ravenously. The rest of us return to whatever we had been doing before, and although I try to pretend I don't know, I am hyper aware the entire time of Jungkook’s gaze following me.

 

    Throughout the rest of the day we show Jungkook how we live, though he seems to enjoy following me around the most. I am fine with it, since I am intrigued with him as much as he seems to be intrigued with me. Er, well, with us. He is pretty quiet, but he helps out as much as he can with chores, and he even assists Jin in cooking dinner.

    Later that night, Yoongi calls everyone into the living room. I had been showing Jungkook my bookshelf, and which books were my favorite so far, but we obediently join the others. We all sit down on the couch and chair, looking curiously at Yoongi. He clears his throat, and I got a nervous feeling in my stomach.

    Oh no, he isn't going to…? He is. I can't believe it, I told Yoongi how I hated singing in front of people, knowing that they listen to me at night is nothing like standing up in front of everyone and seeing them look at me expectantly…

    “This is a song I wrote a long time ago, and I just wanted to share it with everyone. Jimin, can you…?” Yoongi leaves his request hanging, motioning for me to stand next to him. I sigh in defeat, and nervously stand up. With six pairs of eyes looking at me, I feel small and vulnerable. I’m shaking when Yoongi hands me the paper.

    “I hate you.” I whisper to him as he takes my spot on the couch. He just replies with a grin and a thumbs up, and I roll my eyes, then take a deep breath.

    My voice starts out shaky, but as I read the familiar words, and think about the meaning behind the lyrics, my voice gathers strength, and I decide to do the song justice, and give it my all.

 

“I have a long way to go but why am I running in place?

 

I scream out of frustration, but the empty air echoes.

 

I hope tomorrow will be different from today. I’m just wishing.

Follow your dream like breaker

Even if it breaks down, oh better

Follow your dream like breaker

Even if it breaks down, don’t ever run backwards, never.

Because the dawn right before the sun rises is the darkest.

Even in the far future, never forget the you of right now.

Wherever you are right now, you’re just taking a break.

Don’t give up, you know.

Don’t get too far away, tomorrow

Don’t get far away, tomorrow

Don’t get too far away, tomorrow.”

    The excerpt of the song comes to a close, and as my voice finishes echoing throughout the house, I realize my eyes had been closed the entire time. I open them slowly, to see everyone sitting in silence. Everyone has their eyes closed, and are taking in the lyrics. I think I can see tears on a couple of cheeks. As I look at everyone, Jungkook opens his eyes, and they met mine. His eyes are glistening, and I don’t know what to say, so we stare at each other, giving comfort to one another through an unspoken connection.

    I realize, then, that I also have tears dripping down my cheeks.