Chapter 05

Homestay

Taehyung and I were wandering around the massive shopping centre downtown trying to find a gift for my parents for their wedding anniversary. I couldn’t help but notice how many people were looking at us. Well, they were mainly looking at Taehyung, but who could blame them? I chuckled as he picked up the ugliest ornament I have ever seen. “No way! My mum wouldn’t let that thing in the house.” He laughed as he put it down. We had unofficially started a competition to see who could find the worst present, so far, Taehyung was winning.

 

He grabbed my hand as he pulled me to another part of the store. I know this is gonna sound stupid, but this kinda feels like we’re on a date. The thought made my stomach flip. “Look! An amusement park! Is it far?” he asked, a huge smile on his face as he pointed to the flyer stuck to the noticeboard outside one of the shops. I checked out the address, “It’s not too far.” He started almost bouncing with excitement. “Can we go?” I smiled at him and nodded while inside I was crying. I’m not a huge fan of rollercoasters. I can ride the smaller ones, but the massive ones that go upside down give me the fear.

 

We quickly bought a suitable gift and headed to the amusement park. Taehyung was talking and singing at a million miles an hour as I drove us there, the windows down in the car, letting the wind whip our hair around. Luckily the amusement park wasn’t too busy. The perks of being a uni student and have a weekday off. There were a few families with really young kids around the park, but mainly it was full of couples. It made me kind of jealous as I watched them all walking around hand in hand and feeding each other ice cream.

 

Taehyung grabbed my hand and pulled me up to the ticket office, he bought us the tickets, refusing my money, telling me I could just buy him an ice cream later instead. He thankfully pulled me towards some of the smaller rides first, so I was able to enjoy myself. We posed for the photos at the top of each rollercoaster, making different funny faces for each one.

 

We eventually took a break and I bought Taehyung his ice cream. We sat in the middle of the park in a large picnic area. Taehyung took a million photos of us eating, and he showed me the photos that he had taken since he arrived here. I was secretly happy with how many photos of the two of us he had. Once we had finished eating he pulled me to the biggest rollercoaster in the park. As we waited in the relatively short line I could feel my nerves building. I tried to convince myself that it wasn’t any different from the rides we had been on earlier. It was just a bit higher… with a few more turns… it’ll be fine.

 

I took a deep breath as we took our places, pulling the safety bar down over my head. Taehyung must have sensed my uneasiness as he grabbed my hand, “Hey, don’t worry. Oppa will protect you.” I gave him an uneasy smile as we lurched forward. I gripped his hand like my life depended on it as we climbed higher and higher. By the time we reached the top, I had mentally written my will and prayed that my parents and sister knew how much I loved them. I screamed for the rest of the ride, I wouldn’t be surprised if I had managed to burst Taehyung’s eardrums. I glanced over at him and saw the massive smile on his face. Even through my fear induced panic, a part of me was still happy that he was happy. But that thought was tucked away to be looked at later… if I survived.

 

The ride finally stopped and I refused to let go of Taehyung’s hand. He chuckled at me as he helped me out of the seat and took me to a conveniently located bench to sit down. The people who designed this place must have known that people like me would require a sit down after riding that stupid thing. “Are you ok?” he asked, a grin on his face, but I could tell he was concerned. I nodded and noticed our linked hands. I let him go, my fingers feeling stiff from gripping his hand so tightly. “Sorry.” I mumbled as I saw the marks left behind on his hand from my fingers. He shook his head, “It’s ok. It’s what oppa is for.” He said with that damn smile of his. I quickly recovered and we (thankfully) stuck to the smaller rides for the rest of our visit.

 

By the time we got back home, my mum had already prepared dinner for us. The four of us sat around the table, an excited Taehyung telling my parents all about our trip to the amusement park. He took great delight in acting out my terrified screams on the rollercoaster, much to the amusement of my parents. “Tae~” I whined, using the nickname he said his friends used for him. He grinned at me, “You sound like a dying animal.” He said making my dad burst out laughing. “Dad!” I yelled. Taehyung and my dad had bonded rather quickly, and the two of them often ganged up on me. My mum chuckled from behind her hand. “Mum, not you too! Is no one on my side?” I whined, a smile making its way onto my face. I’d never admit it out loud, but I probably did resemble a dying animal.

 

“Sorry honey, but I can’t argue with the truth.” She said as she stood up and started clearing away the plates. I helped her tidy up while Taehyung and my dad headed into the living room to play video games. I swear my dad has a teenage boy’s mentality sometimes. “Honey, do you remember that your dad and I have that trip this weekend?” my mum said out of the blue. I thought for a second before I remembered, “Oh yeah, you booked that cruise! I completely forgot!” I said as I continued filling the dishwasher.

 

“Well, your dad was worried if you’d feel uncomfortable being left alone with Taehyung? I mean, we would be gone for ten days.” She said, purposely not meeting my eyes. I hadn’t even thought about that. But I knew that Taehyung was a good guy, he wouldn’t do anything bad while my parents were gone. “Its fine mum. You’ve had that cruise booked for ages. You two go and have fun, sunbathing and enjoying all the cute guys in speedos.” I said making her blush and smack me lightly on the arm. “Are you sure? We can reschedule it.” I finished loading the dishwasher and closed it, leaning against to look at my mum. “It’ll be fine. Go and have fun.” I said. She nodded and gave me a quick hug.

I went through to the living room and watched Taehyung and my dad play some football game on the TV. I idly played with my phone, thinking about the fact that in three days’ time, Taehyung and I would have this house to ourselves, for ten whole days.