Chapter 01

Homestay

When my sister first told me that she had been accepted to a foreign exchange program, I had mixed emotions. First off, I was really happy for her. She’s getting the chance to go to Korea for six months. Second, I was jealous as hell, because she’s going to Korea and I’m not! She has promised to bring me back some albums and other k-pop related items, so I can’t complain… much. Third, I was kinda sad. My sister and I are super close; we’ve never been separated for this long before. It’s going to be weird not having her here for six full months.

 

When I went to the airport to see her off, I have to admit that I may have cried. Just a little bit. After she passed through security I went to a little café with my parents to wait for the student who would be living in my sister’s room for the next six months. I hadn’t really thought to ask much about them, I was too busy focusing on my sister leaving. “So you said the student coming here is called Taehyung?” I asked my mum who was looking up Korean phrases on her phone. “Yes, that’s right dear.” She said as she focused on the Korean characters in front of her, carefully following along with the examples.

 

“I hope he won’t be too uncomfortable here. I wonder if he’ll like the food here. Oh, I knew I should have practiced some more Korean dishes!” she fussed as she switched from Korean phrases to recipes on her phone. My dad let out a loud sigh and lowered his newspaper. “Honey, if you practiced making any more Korean dishes we were going to go bankrupt. Everything will be fine.” He said as he patted her hand with a smile. My mum tends to worry about everything, while my dad is more laid back. They complement each other perfectly.

 

After almost three hours of waiting, it was time for Taehyung’s flight to arrive. My mum hurried us to the arrivals area, holding a sign with Taehyung’s name carefully written on it. I rolled my eyes at her but smiled nonetheless. Loads of people started coming through the doors and I cursed myself for not taking the time to look at a photo of the boy that would be calling our home ‘home’ for the next six months.

 

I looked at all the faces until my mum excitedly grabbed my arm and pointed at the most gorgeous guy I have ever seen in my life. I swear my jaw just about hit the floor. He was wearing converse, tight jeans which almost had more holes than material, a plain white t-shirt and a leather jacket, a backpack thrown over one shoulder, and a large suitcase behind him. He noticed my mum’s sign and a huge grin took over his face.

 

He rushed up to us, “Hi! I’m Taehyung Kim!” Thank you my kind, sweet sister for accepting to swap places with this boy for the next six months. “Hi Taehyung, I’m Jean and this is my husband, Robert.” My mum said as she pulled my dad closer to her. My dad stuck his hand out and Taehyung shook his hand excitedly. “Jean. Robert.” He repeated, his accent a little thick. My mum beamed at him, her weakness for Taehyung’s adorable smile showing. “This is my daughter, Vicky.” She said as she pushed me forward a step. Taehyung turned his 1000-watt smile in my direction, “Hi Vicky!” he said cheerfully. “Hi.” I said back, my brain failing to string more than one word together.

 

Thankfully my mum is never one to be tongue tied. “You must be tired. Let’s go home.” She said happily as my dad took Taehyung’s suitcase from him and we headed for the car park. “How was your flight?” my mum asked. Taehyung paused for a few seconds before answering. “Good. But very tired. No… I’m very tired.” He chuckled, his voice was so deep. “Sorry, my English is not good.” He said with an embarrassed grin. “Don’t you worry. We’ll help you.” My mum said and Taehyung gave her his 1000-watt smile again. We bundled into the car, my mum sitting up front with my dad, Taehyung and I sharing the back seat.

 

Taehyung turned to me. “Umm how old are you?” he asked with his adorable accent. “I’m nineteen. You?” he smiled. “Twenty. I’m your oppa!” he said excitedly then his smile faded a little as he tried to work out how to say something. “How to say oppa?” he said, more to himself than to me. “I know oppa. I’m your dongsaeng.” I said, hoping to impress him with my incredibly limited knowledge of the Korean language. His face lit up, “You know oppa and dongsaeng?! You’re good!” he said giving me a thumbs up.

 

“I like Korean music and dramas.” I said, hoping to have some sort of connection with him. He seemed surprised, but I could tell he was happy that we had something in common. For the rest of the journey, we chatted about our favourite singers and dramas. It was hard to tell who was happier to have something in common. Probably Taehyung since he is the one that’s moved halfway around the world to a country where he’s not confident in the language. Although I selfishly have to be happy that his English is better than I expected. But I still have this urge to download that app my mum has for learning Korean. I’ve picked up a few words and phrases from watching so many dramas and listening to k-pop songs, but nothing that would be useful in real life.

 

When we pulled up outside our house he looked surprised by it. He got out of the car and looked up at the house. “It’s pretty!” he said looking back us. My mum took him by the arm and led him up to the house. She took him on a quick tour before showing him to my sister’s room, which is now his room. “If you need anything, don’t be embarrassed. Just ask any of us ok? Now, I’m going to go start dinner, is there anything you don’t like to eat?” he shook his head. “I like everything.”

 

“Excellent! I’ll leave you to get comfortable. The towels are in that cupboard there if you want to have a shower. I’ll call on you when dinner is ready. Vicky is in the room next to yours, just call her if you need anything.” Taehyung nodded and bowed to my mum. “Thank you!” my mum turned to me, “Make sure you’re there to help him if he needs anything ok?” she said before she disappeared downstairs, leaving Taehyung and I in the hallway. “I’m going to shower. Is it ok?” he asked, pointing in the direction of the bathroom. I nodded and took a towel from the cupboard for him. “Go ahead, my room is just here if you need anything.” He smiled at me before disappearing in to the bathroom,

 

I went into my bedroom and flopped down onto my bed. I took out my phone and sent my sister a quick email. Mainly to thank her for letting Taehyung come to our home and to let her know that I missed her already. I heard the water start up from the bathroom and I couldn’t help but glance out at the closed bathroom door. What the hell? I’m like a ert! I quickly got up and starting tidying up my room a little, needing someway to distract myself.

 

I was rearranging my books when I heard a noise from my doorway. I turned around and caught a glimpse of Taehyung going into his room, shirtless. If this was an anime and not real life I would have a nosebleed right about now. The next six months are sure looking interesting…