001

The 13th (Working Title)

Seulgi snapped up coughing and wheezing. She had cold sweat running down the sides of her face, and she was terribly pale. She must have fallen asleep in the midst of writing the book report that was required of her to do in one of her classes.

She would’ve brushed the dream off if it hadn’t felt so real. She felt the blade pierce her heart, she even felt the life draining out of her, the seconds stretching out into minutes of painful death. If she didn’t know any better, she’d think it was a premonition of sorts of her death. But that only existed in the fictional stories she wrote.

“You need to recollect yourself, Seulgi. That was but a dream.” She tried to assure herself. She checked her phone. It was almost 5 am. She needs to prepare breakfast for her 2 uncles and cousins before catching an early bus to school.

After she’d done her morning routine, Seulgi found her cousin packing lunch for herself from the food Seulgi prepared.

“Chae, why are you up this early?” Seulgi asked.

“Need to review.” Chaehee simply answered. However, the smile she was sporting was telling a different story. Seulgi knows she must be waiting for a call from her boyfriend whose family moved to Australia. They’d quickly adjusted to the distance and didn’t let it hinder their good relationship. Seulgi admired her cousin for that. “Wait up eonnie. I’m catching the bus with you.”

Seulgi treated Chaehee like the sister she never had. Even more so after her parents’ passing. They got even closer since being orphaned meant she had to move into her uncle’s house where Chaehee and their 5 other cousins lived. None of them are orphans like Seulgi. In fact, they were only there for school.

When they arrived at school, Seulgi bid her beloved cousin goodbye. Their batch was supposed to assemble at the field before proceeding to their own buses for their batch trip.

When she got to the field, the first person that greets her is Jimin. They’ve been classmates since she moved to the school. He is also one of the guys Joohyun and Seungwan’s boyfriends hang out with. He smiled at her after a shy hello. She did the same before she was dragged away by Seungwan.

“He so likes you. You know you’re breaking his heart by being oblivious, right?” Seungwan says, looking back at Jimin. It was more of a clarification than a question and she said it in that manner only Seungwan herself can do.

“Who are we talking about?” Joohyun cuts in before Seulgi could respond.

“Jimin. Seulgi says instead, to answer Joohyun; the same time Seungwan says the name too.

“Oh yeah! Poor guy…” Joohyun says, expressing empathy for her boyfriend’s good friend. “Even Jin has started wondering if you are really that oblivious.” Jin is Joohyun’s boyfriend.

“You guys know I’m only hearing this from you, right? He’s never actually said anything to me about that stuff.”

“How could he? You’re practically an awkward, malfunctioning human being around guys.” Seungwan says, not forgetting to follow the statement with a heavy sigh to give it that extra hopelessness effect.

“Maybe it’s for the best. I heard that Jungkook likes her too.” Sooyoung joins in on the conversation. “Isn’t he Jimin’s best friend?”

This time, Joohyun and Sooyoung joins Seungwan in her, what Seulgi could only describe as, sighing spree.

“Oh our Seulgi…” Joohyun coos.

“She has the charm and grace of an ethereal fairy yet she’s completely hopeless when it comes to matters of the heart.” Sooyoung may have said it out loud, but Seulgi’s two other friends were thinking it too.

“It’s almost poetically sad. All of it.” Seungwan teases. Seulgi laughs and elbows Sooyoung for her previous statement.

“Like you’re any better? Last time I checked, you’re still in that ‘some’ relationship with Seungcheol.” Seulgi says, the ghost of a smirk gracing her lips as she rummaged through her bag.

Seulgi brought out a container filled with pesto pasta enough for them to share for the trip to Busan. Her friends cheered.

Sooyoung was about to reply something along the lines of her relationship status with Seungcheol was completely by choice, but it wasn’t as important as rejoicing over the food Seulgi brought.

 

 

 

 

 

“What just happened?” The 6th of the super humans asked frantically. The light he was emitting from his hands earlier, now fading as the adrenalin in his body dies down. “I thought we weren’t supposed to be vulnerable to them? How could they get to her?”

“Calm down, Light.” One of the first 4 who had been created said. The first 4 assumed the role of caretakers naturally as the other were created one by one over the years. Knowing the circumstances to which they live and breathe, and having human’s natural instinct to seek and give love and affection instilled in them during creation, the 13 functioned as a family on their own. Especially after their creators have been killed. They had to band together as they hid and honed their skills, and after, as they battled the beings of destruction.

“I think it’s apparent now…” the first one spoke. He yields the power of ice thus; everyone calls him Frost. “We aren’t vulnerable to them in the sense that they can’t change and mimic our form or abilities. But whatever those blades are that they possess, if they get their hands on us, they can kill us with it.”

“In any case, what are we going to do now? We have no home, no planet, and worse, Vision is dead.” Doe, they guy they called as such because of his eyes, asked. All at once, 10 pairs of eyes turned to the two who was knelt by the body of their 13th.

One kept trying to heal her but to no avail. The other, who was closest to Vision, had tears streaming down his flawless face.

Light and one of the first 4, who they called as Aqueous approached the two.

“Elixir, that’s enough. There’s nothing more we can do for her now.” Aqueous told the healer. The statement prompted more tears from the male that light was trying to comfort.

The loss weighed heavily on each one of them. But Doe was right. They had to do something.

“Alright everyone…” Rocket spoke up again ever since pacifying Light’s panicking earlier. “Doe, take Caesura with you. Gather all the flowers you can. Vision always loved flowers. Zephyr, Light, you guys go to that place where all these started and gather everything about us and our makers. Jumper, take…” Rocket had to pause to hide the choked sounds that threatened to come out of his mouth at the next words he is about to say. “…Vision’s body at the cave in the Northern mountains, where we stayed two moons ago. Everyone else including myself will scan and see what is left of our world. We will all meet back at the cave after.”

Rocket had to be the pillar at this trying moment otherwise nothing would become of them. Not to mention, the rest of the beings of destruction could come back and easily pick them off one by one at their current state.

 

 

 

 

 

Hours later, the 12 were once again gathered together in the cave. They all stood in a row in front of Vision’s corpse that is surrounded by flowers, probably the last their world will provide them. The lifeless body was engulfed in fire at the mere wave of Zeal’s hand. His ability to control the element is nothing short of amazing. They gave their 13th a burial fit for every warrior.

As Vision’s body burned, all 12 were suddenly struck with flashes. Same flashes for each one of them. It all showed Vision doing mundane things in a world that was not the one they were made from.

When the flashes ended they all looked at one another, faces masked with confusion.

“What was that?” Thews was the first one to speak. His already wide eyes, widening even more.

“You think… You think it could be her or her ability trying to tell us something?” Jumper said, looking more hopeful than he should be. He knows he shouldn’t hope for much, after all, he was the one that caught Vision’s body when the being of destruction ed the dagger against her chest. But he couldn’t help it. Not with how much he believes they are connected, bonded.

 

 

 

 


 

Note:

So... This is the first chapter of the first story I've ever written of this kind of genre.

Don't forget to tell me what you think, okay.

I wanted them to have different names since they're not from this planet. I wanted them to assume their real names once they get to Earth, thus; this first chapter is filled with names you may not recognize.

I tried, as much as possible, to give them names that at least had a little bit of connection to their powers.

Bellow will be the list of names for EXO.

Minseok => Frost

Kris => Rocket

Suho => Aqueous

Luhan => Doe

Lay => Elixir

Baekhyun => Light

Chen => Spark

Chanyeol => Zeal

Kyungsoo => Thews

Tao => Caesura

Jongin => Jumper

Sehun => Zephyr

Seulgi => Vision