3/3

Scent

 

 

When Minho and Kibum returned from hunting a buck for later, Jinki smiled up hopefully, “Can you go catch Jonghyun and I fish… I don’t feel up to buck tonight.”

“Anything for you.” Kibum beamed as he leaned down to kiss Jinki’s lips. When he pulled away he turned toward Taemin, “Do you want to help me? I don’t trust Min around the frozen water.”

Minho pouted as he climbed into the bed next to Jinki on the other side, nuzzling his head against his shoulder. “I’m going to ignore that. I didn’t want to be cold anyway.”

Jinki wrapped his arm around Minho’s hip and kissed his hair, “You can stay all warm inside with me Love.”

Kibum shook his head fondly when Minho stuck his tongue out at him and turned to leave with Taemin to get the fish. Jonghyun was working on the vegetables in their kitchen and it dawned on Jinki now was the perfect time to tell Minho. He was thinking about how to bring it up when the other man spoke, “We should make a snowman tomorrow.”

“A snowman huh?” Jinki laughed a little, leaning his head on Minho’s. “Just one? What would we call them?”

“Bob, like the baker in town.”

“Bob?” Jinki snorted, “Bob the snowman. Perfect.”

“We should go get more bread tomorrow too… I ate the last bit this morning.” He peaked up at Jinki, “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. You can have whatever's mine Minho.” The man snuggled into him and when his arm fell across Jinki’s middle he swallowed thickly. Minho shifted a little, confused, as he was met with something other than a flat stomach. The silence in the room was no longer comforting as Minho slowly looked up at him. Jinki gave a tiny smile, “Surprise?”

“Jinki…” His eyes showed how quick his mind was moving.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner Ming.” He sighed gently as his gaze lowered to his hands.

“Don’t be,” When Jinki looked up Minho was smiling widely. “You have nothing to be sorry for.”

“You forgive me?”

Minho cupped his jaw and pressed a long kiss to his forehead, “You had to worry about Jonghyun reacting badly, how it would affect your Alphas and your health. I just wish I could have been there to support you like I’m going to be the rest of the way.”

Jinki’s bottom lip quivered slightly, eyes blurring as his lashes dampened, “Thank you.”

“I love you.”

He needed that forgiveness, the acceptance without anger before he could go to Kibum and tell him about it. The Alpha would not like being the last one told.

------

The sun was beginning to descend in the late afternoon sky the next day when the front door opened and Kibum’s scent rushed in with the flurry of wind and snow from outside.

“Where are the others?” Kibum softly asked, eyebrow raised at the lack of pack members as he wiggled off his coat. The early November snow was unusual as of late, but it wasn’t impossible.

Jinki nervously played with the fringe of the pillow he was holding tight against him on his spot from the couch as he stared at the fire flickering just across from him. “Taemin fell into this bush with poisonous leaves trying to catch a squirrel. Jonghyun and Minho took him to get the last couple things they needed to treat him.”

“Ah, he really needs to stop chasing those.” Kibum leaned over the couch and pressed a kiss to Jinki’s cheek, “That just means more time for us.”

“Yeah, it’s been quite awhile.”

Kibum nuzzled against the side of Jinki’s face, arms moving around his neck. “You smell so good. It’s nice just to have distinctly you.”

Jinki shifted a little, guilt bubbling up in his throat. “Kibum, could you come around and mm, sit on the table?”

The Alpha hesitantly pulled away and gently took a seat across from him. Kibum assessed his Omega, his protective instincts starting to roar to life deep within him. “Baby, what’s wrong?”

“I have something to tell you,” Jinki flashed a small, nervous smile. “And you’ll be mad that I kept it from you.”

“Jinki, Baby, whatever it is I’ll never be mad at you.” Kibum reached over to squeeze Jinki’s knee. “You can tell me anything.”

After a deep breath Jinki huffed out softly, “I’m pregnant.”

The words weren’t the ones Kibum expected at all and his confusion was obvious on his features as his mind worked through them. “That’s impossible.”

Jinki unfolded his legs and scooted to the end of the couch. He slowly stood up and tossed the pillow on the couch. His shirt fell against his frame softly for a moment before he as gently lifting it up. “That’s what I thought too.”

Kibum’s eyes widened, hands coming up to hold his hips. His thumbs were on the underside of his baby bump. “How… how long?”

“Just over four months.” Jinki watched Kibum’s expressions very closely. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner.”

Jinki was beginning to believe Kibum was angry with him as silence fell between them. The man was moving his thumbs over the taunt skin gently for a while before he was pressing a long kiss against Jinki’s stomach. “I sensed something was different with you. You wouldn’t change in front of us, never allowed us to back hug you, but I thought it was side effects of the herbs… hormone imbalances.”

“I’m sorry,” Jinki’s voice cracked toward the end, and Kibum rushed up to push a hand into the back of his hair and bring his head against his shoulder, “I didn’t want to let you all down again.”

“Oh, Baby you never did.” His other hand was on Jinki’s lower back. “We love you, so much. That never changed.”

“I saw how you looked after I lost them, and it just got worse each time because it was like you expected it then…. Accepted it.” Jinki in a harsh breath. “You didn’t understand why and you were angry. I failed you and Taemin and Jonghyun and Minho. I failed all of you. I wanted to wait until I got passed 3 months and-”

“I love you.” Kibum kissed his hair, softly swaying him, “And our Baby.”

Jinki let out a happy little laugh, before sniffling all squished against Kibum’s chest. “It’s so different to hear that. Our baby.”

“Our Baby,” Kibum whispered, smiling lining his voice. After a moment he softly asked, “Do the others know?”

Jinki was silent for a moment before quietly replying, “You’re the last to know.”

Kibum’s voice was hurt as he asked, “Why?”

“Taemin found out on his own… Jonghyun was next because of how I expected him to react.” Jinki’s fingers fidgeted against the fabric of his pants. “Ming… he was the support and acceptance I needed to be able to tell you.”

After a moment Kibum asked, “Were you afraid of how I would react?” When Jinki didn’t answer or look up at him Kibum said another question, “Were you afraid of me Jinki?”

“No.. I could never be afraid of you,” He gave a little smile as he ran his fingers over Kibum’s cheek, “You keep me safe.”

“Then why?”

“We were happy, we had this balance between us all that was in shambles with each baby I lost. I worked so hard for that balance and happiness Kibum, to have you and Jonghyun laughing together again, and I didn’t want to ruin it all again. I didn’t want Jonghyun angry with you and Taemin, and you two being so happy and not understanding where Jonghyun is coming from. I didn’t want to rip my pack apart again.” Jinki sighed, “You were the hardest to tell because I know just how much you want a child Kibum. You’re the one I devastated.”

“Oh, Jinki I-”

“Jonghyun and Ming would love having a baby in this house. Taemin.. He’s never had a family before, but our pack was more than enough for him. But you,” Jinki pushed a strand of hair behind Kibum’s ear. “You lost your son and his mother before you really got to know either of them well enough, and I wanted so badly to be the one to give you a child you could get to know and I kept failing you.”

Kibum swallowed thickly as his emotions began to take over, tears forming and falling silently down his face. “I never expected you to give me that. I will always love you the same if you never gave me a child.”

“I know,” Jinki made a soft noise as he breathed out, falling silent to gather his thoughts.

With soft hands, Kibum brought Jinki’s face square with his, and he slowly melded their lips together. “You’re the best thing I’ve ever stumbled across Jinki. You saved more than Ming that night he fell into the river.” Another kiss and he beamed, “Come now, let's go get warm before they get back and let the cold in.”

-----

When the other three returned home later that night they found the two curled up by the fireplace in their wolf forms. Kibum was gently lapping at the smaller wolf’s ears. Jinki yipped happily when he sensed the rest of his pack. Taemin wanted to join them, but Jonghyun grabbed him by the scruff on the back of his neck after he shifted. “No Pup, you’re contagious.”

Taemin whined as he watched Minh shift and walk over to the other two wolves. Jinki him as he curled in front of him. Kibum was nervously looking at Jonghyun from the corner of his eye. The human laughed, “You’re safe Cub. I’m not gonna kill you.”

Kibum began to relax when Jonghyun added, “Though if there are complications… That’s another story.” The Alpha whimpered.

-----