1/3

Scent

It was strange for the bed to be empty so early in the morning. Jinki was used to being wrapped up in warmth, but all he had was his quilt wrapped around his limbs and empty bed space. With a slight pout he slowly sat up, pillow still held tight against his chest, and hair a mess. A yawn forced itself pass his lips as he rubbed his eyes with his fists. He peered around the room for some type of explanation. Jonghyun’s bag was missing from its little hook which meant he had gone looking for herbs or went to the market. Which meant one of the other wolfs went with him as protection. He wasn’t completely pleased with his explanation, but it would do for now. The pillow was tossed behind him and a slow, soft smile pulled at his lips as he lifted his shirt just enough to put his palms on his barely there bump. His voice was thick with sleep as he softly mumbled, “You okay in there Tiny cub?” 

 

His stomach growled and with a sigh he wiggled out of bed in search for food. The floor was cool against his bare feet as he padded out of the room. He could smell another in the home, but he was too sleepy to further identify it other than it was familiar and wolfy. He didn’t have to wait long to figure out who it was when Taemin’s slender frame came into view as he turned the corner into the kitchen. With a sleepy smile Jinki shuffled over and wrapped his arms around one his alphas. Taemin let out a happy sigh as his right hand came up to lay on top of Jinki’s warm against his tummy. “Good Morning Beauitful.” 

 

Jinki hummed and peaked over his shoulder, “Whachu doing?” 

 

“Trying to make breakfast for you, but you got out of bed so.”

 

“You want me to believe you made all this without burning the cottage down?” Jinki grumbled with his nose against Taemin’s thin neck and his lips grazing his skin with each word. 

 

“Well I caught the fish if that means anything.” Taemin confessed. “Kibum cooked it with Jonghyun before they left on a supply run. They’ll be gone all day.” 

 

“Does that mean I get you by myself all day?” 

 

“They thought I was the best choice since we haven’t had much time together.” 

 

“Smart babies.” Jinki mumbled. He sniffed the air for a moment before squinting. “Is there meat burning outside?” 

 

“!” Taemin was pulling away from his embrace and dashing the door a moment later. Curiosity got the better of him and he shuffled over to lean against the door frame and watch the man run around frantically. From the looks of it he forgot to flip the boar again and one side was getting to done before the rest. The cover was put back on and he flashed a smile when he saw Jinki looking at him. As he came closer he put a hand on the small of his back and tugged him closer as he pressed his nose on the side of his neck, breathing into his scent. “You’re so gorgeous.” 

 

With a soft giggle Jinki pushed at his shoulders. “No more flattery before breakfast.” 

 

Taemin could agree with that. Jinki carried the drinks and got comfortable before the food was brought. Their shoulders were touching, Taemin leaning a little on Jinki’s, and the blankets were brought up before the food was placed on their laps. “I’m starving.” 

 

Jinki snorted. “You’re always starving.” 

 

“Mmm yes but this time I didn’t take any while making it because it was meant for you.” Warmth spread through Jinki at the words, and Taemin’s cheeks were slightly pink. 

 

After squeezing the man’s thigh Jinki softly said, “Thank you Love.” 

 

                                                   ————-

 

The plates were carried back into the kitchen to be washed later that night. Taemin was about to return to the bedroom, but Jinki was standing in the living room wrapped up in his blanket. The big fluffy chair in the corner was looking really nice from their stand point. Taemin sat first, and Jinki carefully climbed into his lap. He nuzzled into his neck and pressed a kiss there. Taemin smiled and turned his head to kiss Jinki’s forehead as he played with his hair. “If we stay here all day do you think they’ll yell at us?” 

 

Jinki thought about it for a moment, “Mmm a little bit. We should go out and do something later. Stretch our limbs.” 

 

Taemin scrunched his nose up as he stretched, “I can stretch my limbs just fine in this comfy seat all wrapped up in my Pretty wolfy.” Jinki just nuzzled into him closer and relaxed. He enjoyed warmth like this. It wasn’t suffocating and he didn’t feel like dying. Time melded together in the familiarity and comfort of Taemin’s hold. Jinki’s eyes drifted close, sleep tugging him back into his depths, and his fingers curled in Taemin’s loose tunic. He felt the Alpha shift under him, but he put that towards him getting comfortable. He didn’t know how much time had passed when the other’s voice rumbled sounding slightly panicked. “Jinki.. um something’s wrong.” 

 

“What’s wrong?” Jinki muttered, eyes still closed and sleep still fighting for him.

 

“You smell different.” Taemin whispered in a small voice, as if scared of the realization. “You never smell different. Always the same warmth and sweetness. I couldn’t really smell the difference at first … the flowers and the candles Jonghyun bought, but Jinki you smell different.” 

 

“I’m sure it’s just the open window.” He explained as he nuzzled into the fabric of Taemin’s shirt. “Just go back to cuddling me.”

 

Taemin whined. “I’m serious.”

 

Jinki lifted his head with a sigh, squinting at him. “Nothing’s changed. It’s nothing to worry about.” He just hoped he believed him.

 

He didn’t. Taemin’s eyes were wide and worried, “This is going to sound insane, but the only other times I’ve smelled this difference was when you were… you were pregnant.” 

 

The omega swallowed thickly before smiling big, “Well I can’t get pregnant anymore. You’re mistaken.” 

 

The eyes looking at him were sharp and smart. They saw right through him. “I’m the best tracker we have. I have the best nose. I’m not wrong. Jinki you know I can’t be wrong when it comes to my nose.” 

 

Jinki’s eyes fell from his face. Thoughts rushed around his head. What to do. How to do it. Should he tell the truth or attempt to keep his lie? The way he felt Taemin looking at him and the soft hand on his jaw lifting his gaze back up answered for him. He covered Taemin’s hand with his own as he confessed. “I haven’t known very long myself.” 

 

“Why didn’t you tell us?” His voice sounded so hurt and small, it pained Jinki. 

 

“I didn’t want…” His voice trailed off as he looked away. His voice was a whisper when he continued, “I didn’t want to lose another one and see the way you all looked at me.” 

 

“Oh Jinki,” Taemin rushed out as he curled his hand around the back of his neck and tugged his head against his shoulder. “Do you want to keep it a secret from the others still?” 

 

“Just,” He in a breath and took a moment to try and calm himself, “Just until after the first trimester… just until I get further along than I have.” 

 

“Okay,” Taemin mumbled, kissing his forehead and petting his hair over and over. “Okay. I’ll keep your secret Baby.” 

 

 

                                                    ————–

 

After Jinki had calmed down he softly took Taemin’s hand and placed it under his shirt gently. He looked up to see Taemin’s big eyes in awe as he softly smiled. Jinki giggled when the man looked up at him and back down a couple times in excitement. Then those big eyes showed another emotion, fear. “Am I allowed to be excited?” 

 

A big smile spread across Jinki’s face as he cupped both Taemin’s cheeks and kissed his lips softly. “Most definitely. Just not around the other’s just yet.”

 

“I’ll try my best.”