Amping Up

Becoming Bulletproof

Thank you for reading! <3

Notes: Sorryyyy for the long wait! I kept wanting to edit and re-edit *sigh* T_T Thank you for your patience! Love you all!


    Two weeks flew by faster than Namjoon could have imagined. Between all his new friends, classes, keeping up with student council meetings and staying late to rap with Yoongi and his crew, the days were slipping by more and more easily. He was still messaging his friends at home (back in the states, not home, he reminded himself) most nights, but he was feeling less depressed about leaving California, and more comfortable in Korea.
     In a way, even though he was a new kid, he felt like he fit in more at Hanseong High. He wasn’t “That Korean Kid” here, even if he had had a good reputation back in California. But, looking back he also realized he’d been a bit of a token school celebrity - not to his good friends, but most of the other students and even a few teachers. And Americans assumed things about him just because he was Asian - like that he was extremely polite (though he was most of the time) or that he was good at math (that was just a coincidence). Here in Seoul, he was just another teenaged guy living the normal high school life. It was starting to feel, really, normal. And that made him feel strangely guilty - like somehow by being more comfortable here, he was betraying his American life, and friends and dreams. 
    But though his life and friends were shifting, his dreams were actually seeming even bigger and more important these days, especially thanks to Yoongi’s support and the boy’s insistence that he never give up and to fight for it. Yoongi had an angry sort of passion, a fire that ignited Namjoon’s so that he couldn’t help but be swept along with the older boy’s dreams. Of course, it helped that those dreams were mutual between them - both boys wanted to be rap artists so bad they could taste it. 
    A little too much, perhaps, Namjoon thought wonderingly as he ran a tongue over his teeth in class the next day, wincing. He could still taste the metallic flavour of blood in his mouth where he had bitten his tongue painfully while rapping at full-tilt the evening before. Yoongi had laughed appreciatively when a small amount of blood dripped from Namjoon’s mouth, patting him roughly on the back as he praised the younger on being “such a rockstar”. 
    In other news, the school computers had been mysteriously put back online. The tech support team that had been brought in claimed responsibility, but they had been working on the problem for almost a week and had started looking pretty hopeless every time Namjoon went to the library to check on the status of things. The 16 year old had a sneaking suspicion that “V” had just gotten bored of his little prank, and disabled the Space Invaders program out of mercy. 
    And tonight was the big night - the school talent show. In the past few days, Hoseok and Jimin had been becoming unbearably excitable. The two of them together were almost too much to handle at full energy levels, even though Namjoon was seeing less of them because they were busy rehearsing through lunch breaks. Jin was also full of energy, but he was even more unbearable than Jimin and Hoseok; the senior class president bounced between being intensely stressed out to utterly stoked on life. Usually calm and understanding, the older boy was ready to snap at any second for any reason; he had also begun muttering to himself and had a new habit of stopping mid-sentence and just walking away. The young junior Jungkook, on the other hand, had been getting more and more quiet when Namjoon ran into him with Taehyung. The boy had a tendency of sinking into himself, to the point where Namjoon would notice him just completely spaced out, staring intently at nothing at all. He figured it was nerves, and so whenever he noticed the young man starting to drift, he would bring up California or various American celebrity gossip. Jungkook usually bounced right out of his reverie, getting excited to chat about his obsessions. 
    Yoongi, on the other hand, was exactly the same as usual.
    “I still don’t see the point of going,” the mint-haired boy muttered over his coffee. He’d been drinking a lot more of it recently. “It’s just a bunch of untalented babos acting stupid on stage while their parents come to take videos and fawn over them. This is high school, we’re too old for this .”
    “Because it’s fun Yoongi-hyung,” Namjoon grinned at his grumpy friend as they traipsed down the halls. “You sure you’re not gonna come out and watch? It could be pretty entertaining.”
    Yoongi snorted into his coffee, then glanced over and laughed, smacking a poster on the wall. “That’s not my kind of entertainment.” The poster was bright pink, bordered with yellow stars and proclaimed “Hottest Show Ever!” and “Don’t Miss The Future Idols, Hanseong Dance Crew!” and “Park Jimin Fan Club Approved!” 
    Namjoon snickered. “Yeah, all-male dance groups aren’t really my thing either. But,” he shrugged, “They’re my friends. So I’ll support them. They’re actually really good. ”
    Yoongi just sniffed, choosing not to comment. Namjoon knew perfectly well what the boy thought of his other friends. But he was, at least outwardly, respectful.
    “Well,” the older boy piped up, “If you’re not too busy watching SHINee’s new MV later -” Namjoon punched his friend in the arm, “ - then I might have a surprise for you.”
    The younger looked over at the mint-haired swagster suspiciously. “A surprise? That doesn’t sound like you.”
    Yoongi barely concealed a little smile. His dark eyes were dancing with something akin to joy, but it was such a foreign expression on the boy’s face that Namjoon wasn’t sure it wasn’t just mistaken malice. “Well it’s an awesome surprise. The talent show ends at 9 right? Think you can get your mum to let you stay out a little later? Just tell her it’s an after party or something… or late night study group.” Yoongi chuckled. 
    Namjoon raised an eyebrow. “I don’t know if I trust you that much yet. Promise you’re not gonna take me out back with your thugs and rob me?” He lowered his voice, trying to keep the laughter out of it. “I hear Min Yoongi’s in the mob.”
    It was Yoongi’s turn to punch his friend, a little harder this time. Namjoon protested loudly, rubbing his arm pretending it hurt. “Aish, go die you loser!” exclaimed Yoongi, but he was trying not to laugh too. “Just get your mum to say yes, and meet me after the talent show.” The young man looked thoughtful for a second. “Oh, and bring some cool clothes. Like, y’know. If you have a dope hat or kicks or bling or anything.”
    The blue-haired boy frowned. “Is this what I think it is?”
    “Just meet me outside the school at 9 and look cool. Got it?”

    The 16 year old boy ran a nervous hand through his silver blue locks before pulling the black flat-brimmed hat back on his head. The golden sticker on the brim glinted in the corner of his eye, as did the gold-plated chain on his wrist. The few chains he had slung around his neck felt heavy, too shiny and noticeable especially over his loose black t-shirt. Even though he was also wearing a black hoodie with white lettering down the sleeves and black jeans, his bright red supra kicks were like beacons, and Namjoon was starting to wish he’d just left his baller clothes in his backpack and wore something less eye-catching to the talent show.
    His worries were somewhat assuaged, however, when he snuck backstage to see his friends and spotted Hoseok and Jimin. Both guys were sporting even flashier outfits, and it made Namjoon feel a little safer; there was no way his friends could make fun of him for what he was wearing. 
    Hoseok was rocking tight black leather pants that had silver zippers running up the back of the calves, and a white sleeveless button-up shirt with a black collar and black leather strap details on the ribs. He also seemed to be wearing some sort of pleated leather kilt attached at his waist that moved as he walked. Jimin’s outfit was even more brazen; his skin-tight black pants had corset-style ties running up the front of the legs, and his own white sleeveless button up was accented by a chest harness made of black leather straps, with thick silver rings and stud details. It was all a little more than Namjoon was completely ready for.  The younger spied him and rushed over excitedly. 
    “’Joooonie!!” he shrieked, throwing arms around the older boy. Namjoon coughed as he was hit with the full force of the boy’s hug, metal studs digging into his chest. 
    “Yo, Jimin geroff!” he exclaimed, grabbing ahold of his slipping hat. “Kid, you need to seriously calm down!”
    “I caaan’t!” Jimin whined, grinning widely as he let his hyung go and looked up. His curving crescent eyes were lined in dark liner and shadow, making them look smokey and sensual. “Don’t I look great? It’s just like in the MV!”
    “Er, yeah! It’s… really something,” said Namjoon, raising his eyebrows as he took it all in. “How did you even get into that - leather - thing?…”
    “Hobi helped me!” Jimin’s teeth shone as he smiled. He did a little spin so Namjoon could admire the whole effect. “He helped me put my pants on too. They’re like, super tight.”
    “I noticed,” muttered Namjoon, who was already doing everything he could to avoid looking below Jimin’s waist.
    “Ah!” The dressed up younger boy turned his head, catching Hoseok on his way by. “Hobi! Touch my-”
    “Bodyyy urin jogeumssik ppareugeee ~” sang Hoseok loudly as the two started dancing ridiculously, parodying Sistar much too accurately. When they started doing the jiggles while laughing hysterically, Namjoon decided to leave them to it. Shaking his head, he wandered around backstage looking for Jin. 
    He found the older boy cloistered by himself in a dark corner, poring over the set-list. Jin was dressed very sharply in a nice, expensive looking suit. His jacket, shirt and pants were all slick black, faint dark pinstripes visible when the light caught his sleeves; the tie was bright fuchsia. His auburn hair was styled differently than his usual schoolboy appearance, a ruffled stylish messy look. Namjoon realized he’d never noticed the boy had a pierced ear - two little golden rings glinted from one earlobe. When Jin turned to look at Namjoon, his brown eyes were intense with concentration and Namjoon felt like was looking at the young, dominating heir to a mobster fortune. Then Jin smiled, and the intensity broke as his warmth radiated outwards. 
    “Hey Namjoon! What are you doing back here?” he asked curiously, then panic suddenly struck his handsome face. “Oh no, you didn’t decide to perform after all did you? You’re not on the setlist -” Jin started anxiously flipping through the pages of the set-list, one hand rising up to his head in stress.
    “No I didn’t,” replied Namjoon, grabbing the older boy’s arm quickly before he could accidentally mess up his hair. Jin looked surprised for a second, then grateful. “Don’t worry Jin-hyung. And don’t mess your hair up. It looks good.”
    “Ah, thank you!” Jin winked, striking a pose as if he was doing service to invisible fans. “I love getting to dress up properly, and doing my hair. It really helps show off my full potential attractiveness.” 
    Namjoon cocked an eyebrow. “Oh really?” He was definitely seeing a different side of his friends tonight. He said something to that effect, and Jin laughed.
    “Yeah, me too. When did Kim Namjoon become a b boy?”
    Namjoon reddened, remembering he was dressed up too. It had been a lot easier to face up to Jimin and Hoseok’s crazy outfits; it was a little more difficult to shoot back at Jin in his classy suit. “I’m doing this… thing… after the talent show,” he mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck and resisting the urge to take off his baller hat. “Yoongi invited me and told me to dress… well…”
    “Speaking of the devil,” Jin interrupted, staring over Namjoon’s shoulder. The way he said “devil” sounded like he was implying it literally; his eyes had become cold and narrowed. Namjoon turned to see none other than the mint-haired gangster himself strolling across the backstage space towards him. 
    “Yo! Namjoon.”
    “Yoongi-hyung! What are you doing here?”
    Yoongi clicked his tongue at Namjoon’s use of honorific. “Dude, what’s up with you? I’m barely your hyung. You’re spending too much time hanging out with these squares.” The mint-haired boy gestured vaguely, but it was clear he was talking about Jin. Namjoon heard the school president shift behind him, and was suddenly not sure if he was grateful or afraid to be between the two. The air around the three of them had become palpably tense.
    “You’re not allowed back here if you’re not performing,” spoke up Jin, his voice cold. He regarded Yoongi with an equally cold stare. “I’ll kindly ask you to leave.” 
    Yoongi stared directly back into the eldest’s eyes fearlessly. “Namjoon’s back here.”
    “Namjoon is a special case.”
    “Huh. So it’s true that being friends with the class president gets you extra perks eh?”
    Jin made a low sound in his throat and Namjoon felt him getting ready to move forward. He quickly shifted his body directly in front of the older boy and stood with feet shoulder-width apart to stabilize himself in case Jin decided to knock him down on his way to Yoongi. Jin was taller, but Namjoon was tall too and he was pretty solid. Jin seemed to get the hint, and stopped at Namjoon’s shoulder. The 16 year old could hear his hyung’s breathing in his ear. “There are, in fact, perks to being a good student Mr. Min,” the eldest stated frostily. “Not that you would ever get the chance to enjoy them.”
    It was Yoongi’s turn to glare. But he seemed to think better of taking on the senior; instead he switched his gaze to Namjoon. “I came to give you something. To make it easier to meet up later. But unless you want to get ratted on, you might want to tell Mr. Class President to peace out.” The way he said Jin’s title was ever-so-slightly mocking.
    “Yeah okay,” said Namjoon quickly, eager to leave the situation. Before walking away though, he turned back to his hyung, who was looking tense but still somehow immaculate and even more intimidating in his black suit. “Hey Jin-hyung, you do look great. And the show is gonna be awesome, I can’t wait.”
    Jin’s wide shoulders relaxed slightly, and he let a small smile grace his handsome face for his dongsaeng. “Thanks ‘Joonie,” he replied, quite informally. It made Namjoon warm inside to hear it. “I can’t wait either! I got you a seat right in the front row, I’ll see you out there.”
    “Awesome! Thanks hyung.” The younger boy smiled back and turned to follow Yoongi, who had already disappeared.
    He found his rapper friend near the exit of the stage, slouched against the door with his trademark careless swag. “Hey, so what’s up? I thought I wasn’t going to see you ‘til after the show. Are you gonna come watch?”
    Yoongi rolled his eyes. “Not a chance. I just came to give you this.” The young man reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a little plastic card. He handed it to Namjoon, who took it curiously. As soon as the younger man realized what it was, he wanted to drop it like a hot potato.
    “A fake ID?!”
    “Well, yeah. You’re only sixteen, they won’t let you in without it.”
    “Yoongi -”
    “Don’t worry about it.” The mint-haired boy patted his shoulder. “They don’t give a about whether you’re really of age or not. They won’t check - they never do with me. They just want to see something when they ask so it all seems more legit. This place doesn’t even serve booze,” muttered Yoongi, somewhat put-out. “It’s just because they don’t want high school kids at rap concerts. Parental advisories, y’know.” He laughed.
    “But -” Namjoon peered at the little card. It said his name, but that was the only accurate information on the ID. His birth-date, address, and even the picture were different; it was some random Korean guy with teal coloured hair that only looked slightly similar to Namjoon, if he really blurred his eyes while squinting. “Won’t it be obvious that it’s not me?”
    Yoongi waved a hand carelessly. “They don’t give a Namjoon. They just care that you show them something. Anyways, I thought it was pretty good.” His lips turned into almost a small pout. “You know how long it took to find a guy with that colour hair?”
    “My hair colour is way better,” muttered Namjoon grouchily, still staring at the card. “Did you make this yourself?”
    “I have friends,” replied Yoongi offhandedly. “So,” he added, looking slyly at his friend. “You figured out my surprise huh?”
    “Well it wasn’t exactly a mystery,” Namjoon said, still muttering grumpily. “I mean common, you’ve only been bugging me for weeks about going to see an underground rap show.”
    “Ah, then I still have a surprise for you!” The older boy winked mischievously. “Because if you think you’re just going to be watching, you are badly mistaken.”
    Namjoon tore his gaze away from the illicit ID, mouth gaping. “Yoongi!” he exclaimed hotly. “I am not rapping on stage!”
    “Really? Funny, ‘cuz that’s what the flier says,” replied the other boy smugly, pulling out a folded piece of paper. Namjoon snatched it from his hand, unfolded it and stared. Colourful, graffiti-style illustrations covered it, but all he could see was one sentence in thick black print: ‘Opening for Killa K, new kids on the block D-Boy and Runch Randa.’
    Namjoon groaned loudly. Why had he told Yoongi his old rap handle from back in the states? 
    “It’s gonna be so dope!” Yoongi’s dark eyes were glittering with anticipation, and energy was vibrating his petite body. He bounced a little as he spoke. “I can’t wait to see their faces when we blow away the main act!” He let out a little evil cackle. 
    “Opening? We’re openers for a show?” Namjoon said hoarsely. “What the actual Min Yoongi…”    
    “Dude, chill. It’s not a big show. It’s just some ty little amateur thing. There’ll probably be like 15 people there. But it’s a great way to get our names out there! I’ve never been on a poster before,” the young man mused, taking back the poster and admiring it. “I might frame this.”
    “Yoongi, I’m going to kill you… if you don’t give a heart attack first.”
    “Aish, you’re young ‘Joonie. If I give you a heart attack, I’m sure you’ll survive.”
    Namjoon glared half-heartedly at his friend. “You’re a bad influence, y’know.”
    “That’s what the school councillor said,” replied Yoongi, rolling his dark eyes cynically. Then his expression suddenly lit up as he looked past Namjoon. “Oh hey! It’s my little buddy!”
    Before Namjoon could comprehend the boy’s instant change in demeanour or who in the world he could be referring to, Yoongi was standing straight up and bounding past him with uncharacteristic energy. The blue-haired boy turned to see a tragically hilarious scene; Jimin had just come out from the backstage greenroom, still fixing his hair in a little handheld mirror. The younger boy looked up at the sound of approaching footsteps, and it was the best impression of a deer in headlights that Namjoon had ever seen; huge, wide eyes, hair standing on end, mouth slightly open, frozen.  Jimin’s round face drained of all colour as his eyes fell on Min Yoongi approaching. He let our a distinct squeak of terror and then whipped around, almost tripping as he sprinted backwards to the greenroom. The door slammed and there was the distinct sound of a lock clicking.
    Yoongi burst out laughing. “Jimin-ahh!” he cried out, his voice sweet like sugar. “I just wanted to say hi!”
    Namjoon grabbed the older boy by the shoulder of his hoodie. “Common’ hyung, stop bugging the poor kid. Chee.”
    “But it’s fun!” His dark eyes sparkled with mirth as he looked over his shoulder at Namjoon. “He just makes it so easy.”
    “Y’know, I remember a certain annoying dancer saying the exact same thing about bugging you.”
    That shut Yoongi up. 


Yes, the outfits Jimin and Hoseok are wearing are from an actual Kpop MV... do you know which one maybe? ;D Heheh. (It's not super popular, so don't feel bad if you don't *sweatdrop*)

  

Jimin in leather pants, Jin in a suit, Rapmon as a gangsta <3 *GAH* 

"Touch My Bodyyyyyy!!" Hahahaha Love these boys!