Hyunjoong

SS501 Shorts

(A/N: I wrote this is in light of the recent good news we've been receiving from our leader, Kim Hyunjoong! I based this on the TVN drama "Goblin" yet I also changed some stuffs... Just so you guys know... Enjoy!)

 

"Hyung." Jungmin handed Hyunjoong a black envelope before the younger looked back to the window. Hyunjoong originally wanted to see the look on Jungmin's face but his conscience abruptly decided against it, for the last time, he wanted to let Jungmin do it on his way.

 

마지막. 끝. (Last. End.) It was outstandingly written in white ink over the black envelope. The writing is pretty much impeccable as it is written the best way Hyunjoong has seen in his hundredfolds of life.

 

"Majimak. Kkeut. (Last. End.) Who would've thought I'll be able to see such words written on this envelope one day." He lift up his gaze and saw a bloodshot eyed Jungmin. Obviously trying to suppress his tears. "We're just grim reapers, we're not the deity. We're still bound by human emotions & temptations since we were one of them a long time ago. So stop doing that."

 

"I... I..." Jungmin then decided to wipe his tears before continuing. "Hy-Hyung. I'm not used to this though. I'm happy for you but..."

 

"You must be out of yourself, Jungmin~ah. To think you're calling me 'Hyung'. Daebak." Hyunjoong chuckled, trying to ease the situation. Jungmin continues sobbing, Hyunjoong thanked the deity for making them meet in a deserted playground at midnight as he know he wouldn't be able to take the embarrassment of him being seen with a grown-up man crying.

 

"I'll get going." Hyunjoong stood up which Jungmin did too. Jungmin wanted to end it fast but he felt Hyunjoong giving him a headlock from behind. "I don't want Youngsaeng to have a hard time being your sunbae, okay? And give Hyungjun and Kyujong a break from your bullying once in a while." Hyunjoong said.

 

"I'll try my best but I can't promise." Jungmin then was freed by Hyunjoong upon answering. "See you soon. Probably in your next life, Kim Hyunjoong~ssi." Hyunjoong can't help but to smile upon hearing his full name. Grim reapers are allowed to retain their given names but not their surnames, that way they would never be able to associate themselves with anyone in the world of the living. But since his burden as a grim reaper is finally lifted by the deity through his last mission, he's now given a chance to finally embrace who he really is in a brief moment before embarking to his own journey to the afterlife; the journey which alot of people started with him, but never did he saw how it ended, not until he fetch the person written in the name card inside the envelope.

 

**********

 

She's the same girl he's been looking out for the past centuries. Her name has changed when it was the Goryeo era to the Joseon and now she's known as _____________. But everytime she passes by his teahouse, she would have the same delicate smile, smiles he never knew was what he was longing for, not until now.

 

"Mister, is there anything wrong?" She was taken back to see the beautiful man started to tear up right in front of her. She tried to comfort him but he jerked away from her, she took it as a signal of his disapproval over her action. "Mianhae (I'm sorry)." She bowed her head.

 

"Aniyo (No), it should be me who should say that. I'm sorry you have to experience everything for so many lifetimes." He then took her hand and looked at her eyes. "I'm Kim Hyunjoong." At that moment, ____________ felt like her head is being split into two. Unknown to her, memories dating for centuries was gushing through her mind at that very moment.

 

Kim Hyunjoong knew this would happen. The moment a grim reaper tells a person who he really is, his relation with them for the past centuries will come pouring to the recipient. Kim Hyunjoong wanted to take this opportunity to finish his business with her, the only woman he loved for the past centuries.

 

"Hyunjoong~ah..." His lips formed into a smile upon hearing her familiar voice calling out for him. "I've waited for far too long. You said you'll come back after the war." She's right, but he wasn't able to fulfill it, the war killed him before he can even make it back to her.

 

"I know and I'm sorry I couldn't make it. But I'm here now..." He then put his face between her hands, they were full of calluses but he doesn't mind. He knows perfectly why and it was because of him.

 

As someone who has a high rank in the military back in the days, Hyunjoong only sees the King as his god. He has forgotten he has his own parents and his own family back then wishing him to stay alive, and by staying alive they meant to still be humane at any cost; even at the cost of war. But Hyunjoong lost that back then. He killed enemies and civilians alike under the name of the King. He has become the puppet of the King which unknown to him would soon be his own killer.

 

If he hasn't become a grim reaper, he would've been reborn as _____________'s husband in her several lives. But he saw what became of her for centuries. She always dies alone, without someone in her whole lifetime. That's when he realized what his punishment really was: to always see the void he could've filled if he wasn't a grim reaper.

 

Hyunjoong then carefully let go of her hands and wiped his tears off his cheeks, which she did too. He needs to get back to the kettle he's put over the stove to warm the tea of oblivion. Like what he does every single day for the past centuries, he prepared two cups; one for each of them. He started pouring her cup first.

 

"This is the tea of oblivion. This is for you to let go of all your memories in this lifetime. Even those you just acquired from me." He gave her a bitter smile.

 

"I won't drink that."

 

"I'll need to drink it as well, you see." Hyunjoong reassured her.

 

"But I just remembered you. Do I really have to do this? I don't want to let go of my memories of you again." She looked at her with tears back in her eyes again.

 

"This is what the deity wants. Who are we to question his protocol?" He knows exactly what she is talking about but he can't risk to receive another punishment from the deity, especially not if it would cost not him but ____________'s suffering.

 

"Look, I wouldn't want to let go of you too, but since I'm taking one for myself, we could both start anew. Forget everything again and discover one another in the next life. See, I'm pouring mine now--" He was flabbergasted to see not even a drop came from the kettle. He was sure he put the amount of tea exactly for two persons. She was looking at him in fear.

 

"I thought you'll also start your journey now? With me?" She said.

 

"Yes I am... But..." Then it came to him...

 

A Grim Reaper's kiss.

 

He took again her hands and looked at her carefully before mustering all his courage to speak.

 

"Promise me to be well and happy in the next life. Promise me that no matter what, it's me you'll look for. I'm shamelessly saying this to you but please do fulfill your promises to me. I'm sorry. I love you." He put his hands on her sides before kissing her tenderly. They both felt tears running from their own cheeks before they let go of each other.

 

She then carefully touches his face, traces his facial features, as if trying to memorize everything about Hyunjoong before her eyes were overwhelmed by hot tears until she slowly falls into oblivion; in Hyunjoong's arms.

 

To Hyunjoong's surprise, the teahouse was filled with the chimes clanking against each other. A visitor is about to come.

 

"Youngsaeng."

 

"You know your cards well. Anyway, you'll need someone to guide you if you are to drink the tea for yourself... At your service." Youngsaeng then gave Hyunjoong the tea for him to drink. "This is what you've worked hard for the past centuries, Hyunjoong~ah. Be happy." Hyunjoong can only smile at Youngsaeng before sipping the tea up to the last drop.

 

"Carry her with you as you embark your journey with her to the other life."

 

"Why should I do that?"

 

"Let's just say that this is her prize for living such an exemplary life meanwhile this is your final mission in order to live a better life in your next one, Hyunjoong~ssi." Youngsaeng held the door open for Hyunjoong as the latter find it hard to do with the mysterious girl resting on his arms.

 

"Better life you said? Am I even worthy of that?" Hyunjoong asked.

 

"You don't know just how much you are worthy of that, Hyunjoong~ssi." Youngsaeng then gave him a smile which Hyunjoong returned before stepping into the door Youngsaeng opened for him.

 

Youngsaeng then proceed to fix everything. He first cleaned the cups and put them back to their cases before getting hold of the kettle Hyunjoong used to heat the tea. 

 

"What a waste of tea." He sighed as he drained the tea on the sink while looking at the other side of the door.

 

"You've done well, my child." Immediately the rain outside the teahouse subsides and the sun showed itself, in direct contrast to what was forecasted hours ago. Just then Youngsaeng immediately dispersed into hundreds of white butterflies.