Havana

Destiny

You're a pre-school teacher and I'm dropping off my friend's daughter but I won't leave bc ur very pretty AU

Word Count: 3,147

Song Rec: IU - Havana

 

 

 

 

Lee Jieun is a 23 year old kindergarten teacher. You might think it's all sunshine and rainbows, right? Jieun would disagree. Teaching kindergarten is not by any means "easy." In fact, many agree it's one of the hardest. It's not just ABC's and 123's, it's a lot more complex. In any other time, if you do not know a subject, you could go back to the beginning and basics and try again. This is not the case for kindergarteners. They're learning the beginning and the basics. They have nothing much to look back on. Kids have to learn, and not just math or reading, but they also have to learn social skills, be patient, managing emotions, etc. Regardless, Jieun is happy to be teaching them. After all, once you get past the tough challenges, you find something most rewarding than anything: children being happy, learning, and being proud about themselves. She considers this as something very important. So yes, it's tough but it will be worth it in the end. Plus, the kids always manage to put a smile on her face. Jieun loves kids.

 

So now here she is, organizing things for the first day of kindergarten. This is her second year as a teacher, a lot think she's very young to be one but she's very mature for her age. Her class will have 22 students in total this year, one less than last year. The first day of kindergarten is always the most difficult. The kids are either really excited or really scared. Some have been to preschool or Sunday school, others haven't. That is why for the first week, their school allows parents to stay and volunteer in the classroom. It's always hard for both child and student on the first day. Kindergarten only lasts about four and a half hours but it will still be onerous for the kids.

 

It's about 7:45am when the first parents with their student arrive. The bell rings at 8:00am sharp and students show up before then. The first family introduced themselves and the daughter, named Daeyoung, seemed to be very excited to start school. She was a cheerful kid, full of energy. Her parents asked her if she wanted them to stay with her for a bit but Daeyoung said it was okay. 

 

As her parents left, Jieun showed Daeyoung around. "I'm Miss Lee, I'll be your teacher for the year. Are you happy to start learning, Daeyoung-ah?" Daeyoung jumped around a bit happily before replying, "Yes!" Jieun smiled. "Okay, since you're here, you can pick whatever desk you want to sit at. That will be where you sit at all year long, so choose wisely."

 

Daeyoung wondered around, observing the classroom and colorful desks before stopping at a purple colored desk and claiming it as hers. "Good choice, Daeyoung-ah! Now you can take this sheet of paper with your name on it and place it on your desk so you don't forget." Jieun instructs. Daeyoung nods and does as she is told. 

 

"Do you know how to spell your name Daeyoung?" Jieun asks after the young girl is done with her task. Daeyoung nods with a cute smile in affirmation. "Good! So you can write your name on this name tag so everyone knows your name, right?" Jieun requests. She nods again and Jieun gives her a cup full of markers so she can write her name on her name tag, and Daeyoung picks out a blue marker and writes her name. When she's finished, Jieun peels the name tag sticker off the paper and hands it to Daeyoung, instructing her to place it on her shirt where it's visible. 

 

Fast forward and it's 7:58am and a lot of other students have gathered in the room, some just finished crying (which always breaks Jieun's heart), and already seated in their seats they chose with their name tags on. Another group of people entered the classroom, the last family to do so. It was a woman, a guy, and a little girl. Jieun makes her way to them to introduce herself to them.

 

"Hi. I'm Jieun, or Miss Lee. I'll be your daughter's teacher for the year. May I know your name?" Jieun says, directing the question towards the little girl. The girl smiles before saying hello. "I'm Haru!" 

 

"Hi, i'm Haru's mother, Hyejung. My husband couldn't make it, unfortunately. He's very busy." The woman sullenly advised. "But here is Jiyong. He's a family friend." She revealed. Jieun directed her attention to the guy standing next to her--Jiyong. "He wanted to make sure Haru was okay on the first day."

 

Jieun nods understandingly. "I actually have somewhere to be in twenty minutes so I, unfortunately, have to leave. But Jiyong said he wanted to stay with Haru until she says she'll be okay on her own." The mother instructs. She gives Haru a tight, long hug, wishing her a good first day and not to be sad. Haru promised she would be fine. Her mother says goodbye one last time and leaves hesitantly. 

 

Jiyong coughs, and finally introduces himself. "Um, hi. I'm Jiyong...like she already said...but hello. I already said that didn't I?" He stumbles over his choice of words. Jieun thought it was endearing, seeing how she often does that as well. Haru mildly jabs him in the side when she catches him staring at Jieun. "Oppa! Staring isn't polite!"

 

He gapes at Haru in disbelief and tickles her stomach in return. "I'm sorry about that. Haru has not filter sometimes." Jiyong smiles and sticks his hand out to shake Jieun's hand. She accepts his offer and dismisses him, saying it was alright. "It's fine."

 

Haru, witnessing Jiyong's flustered state, retaliates. "Oppa. You are not one to twalk about that. You just ramble on and on all day about anything and everything!" Jiyong nervously chuckles in response. "Now, now, Haru. What did I say about oversharing things? Hmm?"

 

The little girl huffs and apologizes. Jieun laughs at their small bickering and guides them to the only seat left for her to sit. It was a red desk in the front. "Haru, this will be where you sit for the year, okay?" Haru nods and Jieun places her the paper with her name on the table so she doesn't forget. Then she instructs Haru to write her name on her name tag.

 

As she is, Jiyong watches her, before looking at Jieun. Or more like admiring, really. The teacher had gone back to the front to write her name on the board before school starts officially. Haru--being the master at noticing how someone is feeling--whispers to Jiyong, "Oppa, do you have a cwush on Miss Lee?" The girl smiles knowingly and teasingly as Jiyong quickly shakes his head, denying. 

 

The bell rings, signaling the start of the class. "Okay kids, like I said before, I'm Miss Lee. I'll be your teacher for the year. I look forward to helping you learn and maybe I'll learn something in return." Jiyong wasn't really paying attention, everything after that was a blur because how could he focus when there was an angel in the room. He cringes already, picturing how much his friends would if he said that out loud around them. "I know the first few days is scary for some of you, but don't worry! I promise to make you feel comfortable and happy. We're going to learn a lot this year. Not just math, reading, colors, and stuff like that. We're also going to learn about friendship, kindness, sharing, teamwork, honesty, problem solving, creativity, and more! It will be extremely fun~"

 

After her grand introduction speech, she does roll call. For some reason, Jiyong was paying attention 100% and remembered all their names. Aera, Areum, Baekhee, Bomi, Changgyun, Chanmi, Cheol, Daehyun, Daeyoung, Doyun, Eunji, and Hajun. "Haru?" Miss Lee asks, waiting for her reply. "Check!" Haru shrieked with a wide smile. Miss Lee returned the smile before continuing. Hyunjung, Ilseong, Jeonghun, Mikyung, Minjun, Nari, Pyongho, Seohyun, and Yeongsu--the kid seated next to Haru.

 

When roll call was finished, Miss Lee announced the date and all the students repeated it after her. She read a short book and everyone talked together about it afterward. She allowed the students to talk to one another as she handed out papers to everyone. Haru was talking to Yeongsu, completely ignoring Jiyong's presence. A few seconds passed of Jiyong standing next to Haru's desk, being ignored, staring at nothing in particular, before his gaze landed on Miss Lee.

 

She was beautiful. She had long, black hair that cascaded down her back. She was wearing a green sweater, tucked inside a long, yellow skirt. The outfit would have looked bad on anyone else but she somehow managed to make it look nice. Maybe Jiyong was just smitten. 

 

When all the kids had their papers and crayons, the (pretty) teacher told them to draw a picture of something that makes them happy. Jiyong peaked at Haru's paper and seen she was drawing her family at a park. There was also a stick figure with bright orange hair, Jiyong was assuming was himself. Miss Lee asked each student to explain their drawings more and how happy it makes them and when she got to Haru, she asked about the stick figure with the tangerine hair close to Haru's figure. "This is Jiyong oppa! He makes me happy!" Haru blurts and then leans in to whisper in the teacher's ear, "I'm going to marry him some day!" Which was not at all a whisper, seeing as how Jiyong could easily hear it.

 

Miss Lee looks at Jiyong, questioningly. "Um, Haru has quite the imagination!" Jiyong chimed. Miss Lee laughs before continuing to the next student. When she left, Jiyong went to Haru, poking her cheek. "Haru!" He whined. Haru laughed at his state, ignoring his whines. She returned back to conversing with Yeongsu. 

 

It was around 10:40 when Haru said, "Jiyong oppa. You can weave now. I'll be fine on my own." Jiyong considered but denied her request, insisting to stay a bit longer, just in case. Haru rolled her eyes. "Oppa! I'll be fine! You are scawing my friends away!"

 

Jiyong would leave, really. Haru seemed to be doing quite good. But there was another problem: Miss Lee. As much as he would like to be at home sleeping, he would also like to admire Miss Lee a bit longer. 

 

Hearing Haru's complaints, he decided to make himself useful. He walked to Miss Lee and asked if she needed help with anything. "Thank you for asking, Jiyong. I could use a bit of help cleaning up because the kids have recess in two minutes." Jiyong nods and helps her pick up the mess the kids made. The bell rings, notifying the students that it was now recess. 

 

"Please be careful, don't hurt yourselves! There will be a couple other teachers out there watching you just in case. If you need anything, you can ask them. And please respect others and be nice!" Miss Lee declared and let the students out the door. The hallway was full of kids shouting in excitement. 

 

"After recess is lunch. The students go to the cafeteria and it lasts about 15 minutes. Then they come back and it will be time for math." Miss Lee says to Jiyong. "You're really good at this, Miss Lee." He replies. "Oh please, Jiyong. Call me Jieun. I feel old being called Miss Lee by someone around my age." She laughs. "Okay then, Jieun. Do you have kids of your own?" Jiyong asks out of curiosity. It doesn't kill to ask. She is very good with kids so he was curious.

 

Jieun shakes her head quickly. "No. Not yet, at least. Way too soon. I don't even have a husband, or boyfriend, or anything like that. What about yourself?"

 

"Me neither. I don't have kids or anyone special." Jiyong informed. 

 

They spend the next five minutes cleaning up the classroom and Jieun asks if Jiyong would like to go outside to watch the kids. Which, of course, Jiyong agrees to.

 

Not long, school was already over. Tablo--as he liked to be called--will pick up Haru and Jiyong. Jiyong learned a lot about Jieun and helped her around the classroom with anything that she needed help with. It was safe to say they were somewhat friends. Tablo came and introduced himself to Jieun and left with Haru and Jiyong.

 

During the ride, Tablo grinned. "You like Miss Lee, don't ya Jiyong? You're quite obvious about it, by the way."

 

Haru laughed in the back seat as well. "You should have seen him appa! He only stayed there because of her! I told him to leave but he wouldn't!" Jiyong hides his blushing face and turns to the window, looking outside. "That's not true." He denies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong spent the entire first week of school staying with Haru the entire time. Or as Haru says, "for Miss Lee." They got to know each other a lot more over the past week, and Jieun asked Jiyong if he was coming to the local festival next week. In reality, she asked Haru and Jiyong but Jiyong doesn't pay attention to the little details. 

 

Some here they were, Jiyong and Haru, hand in hand, wandering around in the festival. They met up with Jieun and they tried various foods, played games, went on rides, and more. This really wasn't helping Jiyong with his massive, long-lasting infatuation with Jieun. The more he got to know her, the more he liked her even more. Their personalities just matched, they had a lot in common.

 

"Jieun unnie~" Haru mischievously says. She's up to something, Jiyong can easily tell. If you're wondering, Jieun told Haru to call her by her first name when they're not in school. "Yeah, Haru?" Jieun replies.

 

"Can you marry Jiyong?" That is all it look for Jiyong to choke on nothing in surprise. "He really likes you. If I can't marry him, I want you to!" She declares. Jieun looks at them in shock. "H-Haru...." Jiyong grunts out, finally regaining his breath. Jieun and Jiyong's eyes meet for a moment. 

 

"You know, I saw a great game over there. I heard you can earn a stuffed animal as a prize if you win, let's go!" Jiyong quickly changes the subject. He runs along with Haru, Jieun trailing behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was near Christmas when Jiyong was at loss for words. It was the end of the last day of school before winter break. Tablo and Haru went on without him, saying they'll wait for him in the car because Jieun asked if Jiyong could stay behind because she wanted to ask him something.

 

"Are you going to ask me out yet?" She bluntly says, smiling from ear to ear, covering up her intense nervousness. He was at loss for words. "Haru says you've been pining after me for a long time now." Jieun continues, fiddling with her fingers nervously. "Which is kind of ironic because I have been pining after you for a long time as well." 

 

Her confession contributed to Jiyong's speechlessness. He snaps out of it when he realizes this is the opportunity he's been waiting for. "Yes! Go out with me!" Jiyong's never been good at words. He mentally face palms himself for how panicked and rushed that sounded. "I mean, let's go on a date. Where ever you want!"

 

Jieun looks up from her feet and agrees. "O-okay."

 

Jiyong smiles, reassuring himself he was okay and that there was no need to freak out. "It's a date."

 

Jieun nods, smile never fading. "It's a date."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They went ice skating, which Jieun found out how horrible she was at the first few times before she finally got the hand of it. Jiyong was just horrible at it no matter what. So, he guesses it wasn't a good idea to go ice skating if they didn't know how. He was frustrated and thought she hated the date. But Jieun reassured him it was fun regardless.

 

She then suggested that the go take a walk. It was Christmas Eve, snow was falling, Christmas lights were shining in the streets. It was a beautiful scene. They had peacefully talked about anything and nothing. They came across a cafe and ran towards it, freezing cold. 

 

Hot chocolate was on the house and so they ordered two medium sized cups of it, with marshmallows, of course. They sat in the warm cafe and talked some more. The nerves they both initially had, disappeared along the way and there was not awkwardness of anything. The date escalated by 99%.

 

If Jiyong's friends were to see this, they'd probably say how his eyes were practically heart shaped. But he would agree with them for just this once.

 

When their date started to come to an end, as they stood under a street light illuminating the road, making the snow on the ground shimmer, they stared at each other's faces in silence. Waiting for something. Yearning for something.

 

Jiyong isn't sure who initiated it, but soon their lips met in a passionate kiss. It lasted for about 5 seconds before the pulled away in panic and the strong need for air. They mirrored each other with slightly terrified, but mainly overjoyed smiles. It was quiet for quite some time before Jiyong decided to finally stop running away from things. "That was...nice?" He claimed, more like questioned, actually

 

Jieun nodded in agreement, bashfully. And they continued walking down the street, Jiyong walking her home. It was silent out, except for the snow slowly falling. It wasn't awkward, though. It was a nice silence.

 

As they stood on Jieun's porch, Jiyong is sure he's the one who leaned in this time and they kissed yet again. It wasn't as long as the first, but it wasn't a peck either. When their lips part, they look at each other again. Jieun then looks down towards her feet.

 

"I had a great time, Jiyong." She admits eventually.

 

"Me too." Jiyong replies.

 

"I don't want to cut this short or anything but I'm about to freeze up, literally, from this coldness. And from being flustered. So I must be going Jiyong." Jieun says and Jiyong smiles.

 

"Of course. I got to go too before I turn into a snowman." Jiyong laughs. 

 

"I'm sure you would be a stylish snowman, Jiyong."

 

He chuckles and before she could leave out of sight in her house, "Until next time?" Jiyong asks.

 

"Until next time, Jiyong." She confirms and closes the door behind her.

 

Jiyong is standing in the snow, with a big smile on his face, relieved. He snaps out of it when he feels he just might actually become a snowman because it was freezing out.

 

Until next time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NOTES:

I hope you liked it! Sorry for making you wait a long time!

Let me know if you prefer short oneshots (like 1k) or long oneshots (3k & more)!

Have a nice day (or night)!