goodbye

Phantom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

White.

How is it that all I can think of on the day of his funeral is the color white?

Inna blinked, her vision suddenly painfully focused. The first thing she saw when she lifted her head was the coffin.

A black coffin.

His.

Inna gazed at the world around her as if in a daze. Her eyes took in the black mourning clothes, the darkening clouds above them as rain drops mixed with tears. Inna shut her eyes tightly once again, feeling beads of water trailing down her skin and unable to tell where they came from.

Even the sky is mourning for the loss of the sun.

Byun Baekhyun, her own personal ray of sunshine. He alone had brightened her world considerably simply by flashing her his famous rectangular smile.

This isn't right.

Inna felt her body rise from the chair numbly, as if her body wasn't her own. With trembling hands, she lifted the framed photo of Baekhyun off of the podium beside the coffin and walked away from the ceremony and the cemetery altogether.

 

- ν -


"Inna?"

Inna faintly registered the voice of her best friend, but she didn't turn. Her eyes were locked on the window, taking in the now bright sky as her fingers curled around the frame of the picture resting in her lap.

That's not the voice I want to hear.

She felt a small hand softly squeeze her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

"Seulgi," Inna murmured, her voice quiet and hoarse from all the crying. She felt the hand on her shoulder flinch slightly.

"Yes?"

"What do you think of when you see the color white?"

"Huh?" Seulgi removed her hand from her friend's shoulder, placing it on her cheek instead. Turning her face towards her own, she asked worriedly, "What are you talking about?"

"He was always so bright, like a star shining through my darkness. What am I going to do now, Seulgi? Everything is so dark and cold without him. He was all I had-"

Seulgi gathered the now hysterically sobbing girl into her arms, feeling tears pricking her eyes as well.

"You still have him, Inna. He'll always be with you, in spirit and in your heart."

"But I want him here," Inna pressed, her hands clutching her friend tightly in fear that she'll disappear as well.

"He's here, I know it. That boy loved you way too much to just leave you." Seulgi rubbed her childhood friend's shoulders when they shuddered, though the cries were slowly quieting down. "Besides," Seulgi attempted to lift up her spirits by bringing up an old joke from when they were younger. "I'm psychic, so you have to believe me."

Inna pushed her friend away from her, a small smile on her face as she wiped away her tears with the sleeve of her black dress. Seulgi grinned at her friend before standing up from the floor. "I'll make us some food, okay?"  Before she walked away, she felt a tug on the hem of her dress. Looking down, she met Inna's bloodshot eyes.

"Thank you, Seulgi." The said girl smiled once again and nodded before heading over to the kitchen. Inna watched her friend go before she closed her sore eyes and massaged them with heels of her palms. While doing so, she felt a faint, delicate touch on her cheek, and another on her shoulder. Openiing her eyes, she saw Seulgi shuffling around the kitchen. Glancing around the room, she didn't see anything that went along with what she felt.

... Baekhyun?

 

- ν -

 

*Beep*

"Hey, sweetheart. I just called to tell you that I'll be a little late to lunch today. See you soon, okay?"

"End of voice-."

*Beep*

"Inna~ Where are you? Why won't you answer the phone, huh? I miss you!"

"End of-"

*Beep*

"Happy Anniversary! You've given oppa the best four years of his life, you know that? I love you more than anything, sweetheart."

"End of voicemail. To-" Trembling fingers carelessly dropped the phone onto the carpet. Inna stumbled across the room to the bed, clutching the covers tightly as she curled into a sobbing ball.

This is the last time, she promised herself. Just one last cry and that's it. I can't be sad anymore, he always tried his best to make me happy...

*Beep*

"Inna? I know you're upset with me. Baby, just... please don't cry because of me. Please. I promise, I'll fix everything-" A loud car honk interrupted his voice, quickly followed a deafening crash.

Inna couldn't even hear the automated female voice telling her it was over. All she could hear was Baekhyun's voice, making a promise that he hadn't had time to keep. She remembered the day she had gotten that message. The two had gotten into a huge fight that morning and she had stormed out of the apartment. And Baekhyun had gone looking for her...

It's my fault that he's gone.

I'm all alone now.

Seulgi knocked on the door lightly. A few moments passed before a red-eyed Inna opened the door, wiping her cheeks free of tears. The mourning girl faked a smile before pulling Seulgi inside. As soon as she crossed into the apartment, however, she felt strange. A sudden pressure on her chest and shoulders made her heart stutter abnormally. She had felt the change in temperature, going from the warm atmosphere of the hallway into the chilled home of her best friend. She felt her skin tingling uncomfortably all over her body.

"I-I just came to give you these back," Seulgi stuttered, lifting a hand to her chest as the other held out a bag of clothes she'd borrowed while on vacation last month. As soon as Inna took the bag from her, she muttered a goodbye and turned to leave.

"Wait," Inna called out, causing Seulgi to reluctantly turn back. "Do you want to stay for a little bit? I'm not used to being alone..."

Glancing past her friends shoulder fleetingly, she whipped her head back around to look again.

She knew those eyes.

Her chest erupted in pain, causing her to gasp out. "Believe me," she rasped out to Inna. "You're not."

 

- ν -

 

"Inna," a voice whispered softly into her ear. Her eyes opened, scanning the dark bedroom for the source of the sound. She found nothing unusual. Sighing, Inna ran a hand through her tangled before sitting up in bed. It was the first good nights sleep she's had in weeks. Between crying, moping, and the overall loneliness of sleeping by herself.

How ironic, that the person that once calmed me down from my nightmares is now the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter