Chapter 3

Where I Belong

7 years later...

Your POV

      I was greeted by my whole family when I arrived at the airport. It's been 7 years since I left Korea to study at MIT. I got so many scholarship offers since I stunned all the jury at the International compettition. Since MIT is one of the top Science and Technology university in the world, I was really excited to learn more about the things I love. Well, it's also good to take my mind off things. Woohyun. We never spoke anymore. A week before I flew to the US, I called him to let him know, well if he even want to know. But, I didn't reach him. I left a voicemail, but he never called back. So, I left Korea and all the hope he ever gave me. I decided to forget about him and live my life. Since he  was doing well and had achieved his dreams, its time for me to create my own happiness without him.

       "Yah, Mira-ya are you okay?" my brother snapped me out of my trance. "Oh... ummm fine." I smiled. "You didn't work today, oppa?" I asked him. He works as a pilot and is always out of the country. "No, I just flew back from Australia yesterday, so I got a day off today" I nodded. We walked to the car and continued our small talks. "Unnie, you look different" my sister commented. "Almost unrecognizable" she continued. Since my sister was a little girl, she lived with my grandmother in the village, so I rarely see her. "Aishhh, this kid. I'm a grown up now. Of course I look different. I'm not a little girl anymore, not like you" I playfully flicked her forehead. "I got prettier right?" I smile cutely at her while batting my eyelashes. "No comment" she replied with an expressionless face. "Yahh! Aishh this kid" I frowned. 

        "Aigooo, of course my princess got so much prettier" my dad ruffled my hair lovingly. I smiled and stuck my tongue out at my sister. "So, how's grandma? Is she okay?" I asked. A few years ago, my grandma got sick when I was still in the US, so my family moved to the village to take care of her. My dad also expand his restaurant franchise there, so my family lived there now. Eventhough sometimes my dad need to go out of town to take care of his bussiness, my mom will stay home to take care of grandma. "Ohh, she's getting better now" my dad smiled while putting my suitcases into the car. "And she's happier now that we lived with her. She also misses you so much Mira-ya" "I missed her too".

        We went in the car and drove away. After we had our lunch, we drove back to the village. "Mira, how long will you be staying ?" my mom asked from the passenger seat. "Ohh, maybe for a week. A company recruited me and offer me a job as a software engineer" I smiled. Before I even started high school, I was offered a scholarship to attend MIT. So, I was one of the youngest students there. Believe it or not, but there are quite a number of young geniuses there. I'm not the only one. After four years, I finished my degree studies with first class. Then, I was offered a job at Korea's top electronics company, but I declined the offer as I wanted to continue my master's degree and gain some working experiece in the US. Then, they offered me a deal. They will sponsor all the expenses for my studies including my daily expenses,and when I return to Korea, I will have to work for their company.Since the deal is something too good to pass, I agreed and the rest is history.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

          I stopped by my dad's restaurant branch in Seoul before I head to my new house that I bought last week. It was quite a luxurious penthouse apartment in Hangangno-dong, Seoul. Well, come on, I worked hard to achieve what I had today,so, no harm in giving myself a little treat. Hehe. I planned to save up my salaries and buy a car next. The elevator dinged indicating that I've arrived on my floor. I grabbed my suitcases and looked for my house. Since I bought a penthouse apartment, there are only two house on my floor, one is mine, and the other is my neighbour who I did not meet yet. The neighbour's door is just opposite mine. I typed in my password and went in. 

         After I settled in, and unpack all of my stuff, I went out for some grocery shopping and a few household stuff. Right after dinner, I called my parents to let them know that I already settled in my new house. Then, I readied myself for my first day of job tomorrow. I felt really excited and nervous at the same time. Not that I never had any working experience before, in fact I had an internship at a top company in NYC before. It's just the thought of meeeting new people and a working in a new environment is quite nerve-wrecking. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

           I finished work at 8 p.m, but since I had a new project asssigned to me, I decided to work a little bit more before going home. The first week on the job is quite hectic, but many of the senior employees are nice and offered me some help. The downside is only that the boss held too much expectation about me due to my records at the MIT, and its really hard to have quite a few new recruits that already show a slight hatred towards me. Hmmm, well, life doesn't always turn up like what we hoped. Suddenly, I thought of him. Nam Woo Hyun. I sighed and brushed off the thoughts about him. I quickly packed my things and a few files that I want to work on during the weekend.

           I struggled to press the keypad on my door as my hands were quite full, with all the files and my laptop bag hanging on my right shoulder while my handbag on the other. I heard the elevator dinged. "Oh, you must be my new neighbour, anyeonghaseyo" there's something too familiar about the voice that makes me looked up. Our eyes met, and we froze. Its him. The person that I hoped to never meet again, Nam Woo Hyun. I stared at him in disbelief. The shock of meeting him after all those years made me dropped my files. 

          "Kim Mi Ra..." he started. I closed my eyes and  looked away. "I..um.. I-I.." before he finished, I turn around and went in my house slamming the door shut. I leaned against the door, and my legs gave away. I sat on the floor trying to hold back my tears. "Why..why it must be you?" I sobbed into my hands. At that moment, all those painful feeling that I held back 7 years ago came flooding relentlessly into me. All those times that I tried to mend my broken heart flashed before my eyes. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Woohyun's POV

         I stood motionless in front of her door