Prologue

Under the Autumn Leaves

 

 

*Prologue*

 

You were walking the familiar path to a certain tree. You had walked this path several times, always to clear your head from the pressing work day. Being a responsible adult was alot harder than you had previously thought. All you wished for now was to run to your mothers arms and cry into them about how you wanted to be a little girl again and not have to deal with the hard labour of getting up everyday. There was no weekend breaks, no summer vacations, just a job you had grown to hate due to the erted collegues of yours, along with bills to pay, some of which you didn't even realize were something you had to pay for... Huh who would've thought that you'd have to pay for a necessity such as water and eletricity...

As you continued your walk, you looked towards the sky, tall trees filled the view. Fiery Red, Golden yellow, and Citrus Orange lit up your eyes. You loved this time of year, the color the leaves turned brought on a feeling of comfort to you. You continued your silent walk along the pebble filled path, breathing in the air around you, and exhaling slowly, almost entering a state of meditation while walking. You could hear the pebbles crumbling underneath your feet with every step you took. The peaceful walk was a serenity to you, that you'd never replace.

As you neared closer to your tree, you came to an abrupt stop. There sitting at your tree was a man you'd never seen before. He had his back pressed to the tree, staring at a book in his hands. You stood there admiring his beauty from what you could see of his side profile. You didn't let the appearance of a stanger deter you from sitting at your favorite spot, because it was your favorite for a reason. So you began your trek to the tree, choosing to sit on the opposite side, as to not disturb the man with the book.

After a few minutes, you had gotten situated with your belongings and were currently reading a novel that had been recommended by a close friend. Your reading was interuppted by the crinkling of crisp leaves. The man with the book was leaving, walking in the same direction you had came. You stared at him as he continued walking, having lost concentration, daydreaming about the man you had just seen, wondering what his voice sounded like. You quickly stopped yourself, concluding that it's pointless to have a crush on someone you don't even know, just because they have a nice side profile...and maybe a nice , you'd never blame yourself for looking, no one would.


It had been a few weeks since the first encounter with the mysterious book enthusiast. Ever since then, you had always seen him there, sitting with his back to the tree and nose shoved in a book. You had yet to muster up the courage to actually say anything to him, afraid that he would think you're weird for insinuating that a friendly conversation should be held.

You were currently taking your walk on the path to the now shared tree, humming along to a random tune you used to sing along to with your grandmother. You could still hear the crumbling pebbles underneath your steps. You looked up, as you always did, to stare at the beauty of the multicolored leaves you loved so dearly. The leaves would start to fall in heavier loads soon, as the season was nearly coming to a close, with the next one swiftly coming to fill its place.

You reached the tree, and to your dismay, your silent companion wasn't there. With slight disappointment, you settled into your spot, opening up your latest novel to the spot you had last left on. You had gotten to such a good part in the story that you hadn't noticed the figure that stood before you. The figure tapped you on the head, gaining your attention, as well as a squeal of surprise as you came face to face with the man with the book. "Hey, I'm Zhang Yixing, and you are?"

Thus began the beginning of a friendship, where you both talked about the books you were interested in and your love for the current season. You would blame yourself for not having the courage to talk to him before, apalled at your inability to talk to others. You now had another reason to love the season, as it brought you closer to the mysterious bookworm that you had been smitten with since the first sighting. Down the pepple path,  towards your favorite tree, beautiful colors you could see, along with a crisp breeze, under the Autumn leaves.