(1/2)

Fruit Punch

Word Count: 3753


"Are you sure we have enough money for this?" Jongin asks when they arrive to the shop. It’s one of those fancy places he likes to avoid knowing he barely can afford a sock in them. Nevertheless, Baekhyun assures him he has a decent 70% discount card, courtesy of Joonmyeon because the former helped him to get a prom date.

The first thing the brunette does arriving to the new section is choosing the most expensive and weird looking tuxedos he can find. Jongin stays unwilling to choose or say his opinion so he just waits patiently. If it’s for Baekhyun, he can buy the whole store, Jongin is going to pick the cheapest and leave anyway.

“May I help you?” says a deep voice behind them and both turn to see a short male with black hair slightly coiffed and parted on the right, big round dark eyes and plump lips. He is wearing all black and a tag name. Something in him rings a bell in Jongin yet he can’t put a finger on what it is exactly until Baekhyun speaks.

“Well, it was about time…,” he starts but quickly turns to Jongin to whisper in a not so discrete way, “Isn´t he Do Kyungsoo?”

“Yes,” Kyungsoo says sharply with an unamused, almost bored, expression.

Kyungsoo is one of those guys from high school who Jongin has never spoken but always sees in the halls. He has a cold, rude and scary reputation around the school, enough to make everyone keep their distance including Jongin; not because he is scared, but because he doesn’t want to bother him.

“May I help you?” Kyungsoo keeps his eyes on Baekhyun and Jongin is afraid he isn’t in the mood to ask a third time.

“Do you work here?” Baekhyun asks as if it wasn’t obvious enough and the taller swears there is a small twitch on Kyungsoo’s right eye before nodding.

“Perfect,” the former smiles clasping his hands together and turns to Jongin to give him another, unnecessary, wink. “We are looking for tuxedos for prom.”

The smaller nods and starts walking motioning them to follow. “This way please.”

Jongin should have known better. Even when Baekhyun said he already had one tuxedo and he was just picking one for Jongin, he decided to ignore the odd smile in the former’s face. Now here is him, taking a look at an unpleasantly dark green suit with a diamond pattern.

He hears a snort and turns to see Kyungsoo holding a smile; not looking cold, rude or scary like Jongin thought, but cute.

Not cute enough to make him forget he may look like a wrapped lettuce though.

“Turn around,” Baekhyun motions with his index finger and Jongin obeys, “nice .”

Jongin whines feeling the blush creeping in his face and enters the dressing room again. The next tuxedo brings even more struggle; the fabric is not only uncomfortable but also the pants are too tight. When he finishes fixing the coat he notices there is actual silence. Maybe Kyungsoo already killed Baekhyun.

He opens the door just to find Kyungsoo leaning in the wall, Baekhyun is nowhere in sight. It’s not the first time his best friend ditches him when buying clothes so he goes for his phone just to hear the same excuse all over again: “Chanyeol called”. He reassures there is a suit for Jongin out there and he will have Kyungsoo’s help for that purpose.

“He isn’t coming back,” Jongin informs the smaller and almost catches an apologetic look on him.

“May I give you a suggestion now?” Kyungsoo says and doesn’t wait for Jongin to answer when he is already choosing something from one of the racks next to them. He takes one slick black tuxedo to show him. “Notch lapel tuxedo, I think the color suits you and the style gives you enough freedom to dance if you want to, comfortable but never loose. The length of the pants isn’t as long as the other ones, so it may show your ankles, but you like that, right Jongin?”

Jongin is taken aback at the mention of his name, Kyungsoo seems to notice as he purses his lips forming a thin line.

“Do you know my name?”

“Yes, we go to the same high school,” Kyungsoo says with his unamused expression but this time he starts biting his lips. Jongin is about to ask how does the smaller knows his likes but Kyungsoo cuts in again mumbling something about searching for his size and leaving him alone.

He takes another look to the suit, it’s stupid and dramatic, just like Baekhyun. Even taking it off it’s complicated. Jongin struggles with the zipper of the pants and when he tries to pull them off he hears something ripping.

“,” he mutters and turns to see a tear in the pants, right in the .

He wonders if he should pretend nothing happened and leave. Although, that wouldn’t be nice of him. If he could just take them off, he could think of a proper easy out.

Rip.

“What did you break?” Kyungsoo’s voice brings Jongin back to earth and stays still.

“Pants,” he says after a short silence, defeated. The zipper goes down by itself and finally, he is able to take them off. “I have to pay them, right?”

“Well, that’s how it works nowadays,” there is slight humor in his voice followed by actual amiability. “Let me see.”

Jongin can’t see Kyungsoo but still his cheeks turn slight pink for the latter’s tone. He almost sounds like he is talking to a kid. And Jongin is, in any way, a child.

He passes the pants through the opening under the door and waits for an answer. The smaller confirms he can’t do anything about it making Jongin look at the prize of the tuxedo instantly.

Goodbye comics and fried chicken.

Without thinking he throws the coat to the door in vexation, it opens completely and he catches a surprised Kyungsoo. Maybe Jongin should have used normal boxers instead of brief ones, at least the situation would be less uncomfortable.

Three seconds later, Jongin closes the door locked and sits on the cold floor.

“, , , , I am so sorry,” he achieves to say before hiding his face in his hands. There is a long silence, Jongin wonders if Kyungsoo left already until he hears him again.

“Um… are you ok there?”

“No,” Jongin sniffs.

Kyungsoo grunts and there is a click sound, Jongin can hear him muttering, “they don’t pay me enough for this.” Nevertheless, he speaks clearly to say, “I locked the door.”

He must be thinking Jongin is crying, things could be more embarrassing by now? There is another pause as the latter tries to build up the courage to go out the dressing room and buy everything before anything else occurs.

“Ok, either you are going outside and leave or just talk already because I don’t have a lot of time. And believe me, I’m being nice. Please tell me you aren’t crying.”

“I am not!” Jongin says biting his lips, “It’s just a normal reaction I have when I am embarrassed.”

“Nice, so everything is good then?”

“…Not exactly?” Jongin, hesitant, remembers he still has to pay two tuxedos and find a prom date in one week. It isn’t a big deal, the prom part, he has been imagining him at the side of Baekhyun at the party, leaving exactly at 11 pm. “Forget it, it’s really stupid.”

“Probably,” Kyungsoo says and Jongin whines without realizing, “sorry, go on.”

He sighs but doesn’t take real offense since he barely knows the smaller and yet, he is listening.

“It’s not that important, I’m just here buying a tuxedo for the prom when actually I have no one to go with. And I just broke this expensive tuxedo and I still have to find another one. And for what? To spend a night next to my two best friends who will be glued to each other like leeches.”

Kyungsoo snorts, “you are a crybaby.”

“Oh thank you Kyungsoo, I didn’t know that,” he hears a little sorry followed by a louder laugh. “On top of that, I had a date already… well, kind of, I was going to invite my crush…” Jongin stops midway but Kyungsoo is too silent and he decides to go on. “But he invited someone else so there is no one else I can go with.”

“I think there is still time.”

“Do you think so? Everyone has a prom date already, it’s in one week. Besides, who would go with me? Right now I have a pimple and I have been, like you said, a crybaby the last weeks… like, would you?”

“I would.”

Jongin is surprised by the answer and leans on the door thinking he may have heard wrong. “What?”

“You aren’t as stupid as the vast majority of the school I guess.”

“But we barely know each other.”

“Fine, I was trying to be nice but if you keep acting like that I better leave.”

“No, wait,” Jongin sighs. “I will stop complaining.”

Jongin waits for the reassurance that Kyungsoo is still there and he looks through the opening under the door. He catches a glimpse of the smaller who is sitting next to the door.

“Who are you going with?” Jongin blurts because he doesn’t how to pick conversation again.

“I’m not going.”

“Why? Don’t you want to go? Didn’t you invite anyone? Did anyone invite you? Did you want to invite someone and then – “

“I don’t like big parties, and yes, I got invited but all of them are s.”

Jongin doesn’t think of the next words that leave his mouth but there isn’t much to think of anyway.  “Why don’t we go together then?”

It’s not like Kyungsoo is a bad person and he already took the time to hear about Jongin small and childish rant. He doesn’t look as scary or rude either. Simple math, as Baekhyun would say taking a risk.

“We should go together as friends. It’s going to be fun, I promise.” He reproaches himself for not asking properly but the situation isn’t the best anyway.

“Fine.”

“That was easier than I expected.” Jongin mutters before laughing a bit.

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asks but Jongin may have used the wrong words so he struggles with an answer. “Forget it, I know exactly what you mean but I’m not as menacing as they say.”

Jongin smiles and makes a little heart with his fingers, he slides it under the door.

“Just, don’t do that.”

“Check.” Jongin stands up realizing he still doesn’t have clothes on and flicks his tongue.

“So, are you going to check more suits?”

Kyungsoo suggests the black one he picked and Jongin agrees to try it. It’s nothing like the tuxedos Baekhyun chose, this one really compliments his features, even his blonde hair. Sharp-looked, well-fitted and exquisite. When he opens the door Kyungsoo is smiling already.

“Looks great,” he nods.

“I really like this one,” Jongin says walking to Kyungsoo, “I don’t even know what Baekhyun was thinking about.” He laughs and looks at Kyungsoo in front of him. First thought, he is probably shorter than Baekhyun. Second thought, he has really nice features. “Thank you Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo smiles and looks down for a moment. Adorable.

Jongin keeps the smile until the realization that he still has to pay hits him. “Please be cheap, please be cheap, please be cheap,” he chants as he looks at the price tag.

Luckily Baekhyun has a card. Wait.

“Did Baekhyun leave any card?” Jongin asks and receives a head shake, “I will call Baekhyun and wait for him here.”

Kyungsoo smiles again. Jongin doesn’t know if he is mocking of him or smiling at him, but in reality, it doesn’t matter.

“You can go,” he says taking the tuxedos with him, “I will hide them so you can return tomorrow and pay for them.”

“Would you really?” Jongin could hug Kyungsoo right now.

“Yes. We are I the same school so you can’t run, besides, you wouldn’t risk yourself for some silly suits.” His smile this time, rather than sweet, is menacing and Jongin gulps.

 

+++

 

“I can’t believe you asked Do Kyungsoo to prom,” Baekhyun says the next morning walking to the store. “Are you conscious he may actually kill you in the process?”

“He isn’t like that,” Jongin snorts, “he is really nice. I thought you talked to him yesterday while I was dressing.”

“Yeah but he looked like I was throwing onions to him. I have done anything to him but I think he wanted to kill me.” Baekhyun, even distracted with his phone, has an incredulous, funny face.

“Who doesn’t?”

“Ow, just half an hour with the devil and you are throwing poison already, I see. You better be fast. After this, we are going to eat some hamburgers with Chanyeol.” There is a small smile at the mention of the latter’s name. If Jongin was happy for Baekhyun the first months of their kind-of-but-not-really-but-still-is relationship, the feeling is forgotten each time he sees them together. Not even paying attention to their surroundings when making out.

Jongin decides to drop the invitation after paying for the tuxedos. At the store, they find Kyungsoo in the cash register, a smile rising again when he focusses on Jongin. He could definitely get used to that smile. Jongin starts a conversation with him as Baekhyun taps his foot uneasy on the entrance.

“And now I have to go with them, alone. Can you imagine me waiting for them to stop eating his faces?” Jongin makes a disgust face, which Kyungsoo shrugs. He may try his luck once again. “Do you have something to do after your shift? You said it was in 15 minutes, right?”

“I don’t have anything to do.” Kyungsoo goes back to that unreadable expressionless face but Jongin presses.

“Would you like to go with us? Please? I don’t want to be alone with the lovebirds.” There is a huff from Baekhyun, one that is ignored from both parts.

“I’m not sure Jongin,” he fidgets with the bag after packing the tuxedos.

“Come on, I swear you are going out of this alive,” Jongin pouts earning a roll of eyes, a sigh, and a little and shy yes.

When Kyungsoo finishes his shift and changes, they go to the parking lot where Chanyeol is already waiting for them in his red Nissan. Jongin goes to the back seat with Kyungsoo, he catches a hesitant look and resignation on the smaller.

“Is that Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol smiles brightly on the rear mirror and turns to greet them, “Soo, why didn’t you tell me you were Baek’s friend?”

“Because I’m not,” Kyungsoo mutters and Jongin burst in laugh as Baekhyun huffs crossing his arms in the passenger seat.

“Do you know him?” asks Baekhyun taking a sip of Chanyeol’s soda.

“Yeah, we are friends and we have classes together. I’m glad you brought him; he always makes excuses for not going out with me. He is a really lonely soul; I wonder what – Ow!”

Kyungsoo gives a squeeze to Chanyeol’s ear.

The trip isn’t silent at all due to Chanyeol and Baekhyun being extremely loud. Jongin can barely say two words and Kyungsoo stays silent until they arrive. Jongin thanks the lord for the couple not being touchy or cheesy during the road. He sighs in relief when they park.

Chanyeol starts to type in his phone when they get out of the car talking about unexpected company.

“Who?” Baekhyun asks trying to peek and see the screen.

“Sehunnie,” he says casually.

“You didn’t tell me he was going to come.” Baekhyun a bit nervous locking eyes with Jongin who is speechless.

Chanyeol looks taken aback at the comment but keeps texting, “Does him bother you?”

“Of course not, he is my friend.” Chanyeol makes a suspicious look and Baekhyun whispers something in his ear tugging at his sweater. Jongin prefers to ignore the scene.

“What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo speaks making the blonde turn his attention to him.

“Sehun is going to be here.” He blurts, not even acknowledging Kyungsoo may not know him.

“So?” Kyungsoo looks at him confused and waits for an answer.

Jongin hesitates and takes a look at the surroundings before whispering, “He is the crush I told you about. I don’t feel like – “

“Brush it off, he is with Luhan anyway.” 

Jongin stops midway at Kyungsoo’s interruption. He must know about Sehun and Luhan. The smaller is bit cold at the end, just like Baekhyun has told him. But he is right, he can ignore the situation.

“Come on, they are on the burgers.” Chanyeol speaks again and motion them to start walking. “By the way, he brought Luhan.”

The statement is directly to Kyungsoo who just nods and doesn’t give an explanation to Jongin who keeps looking at him insistent.

Jongin knows Luhan, they aren’t exactly what you would call friends but they get along pretty well. He isn’t sure of what to expect and when they arrive Sehun and Luhan are talking really close to each other. The smile on Sehun face is brighter than any that Jongin has seen on him.

Jongin sits in the opposite side of the table, the farthest he can be from Sehun. Chanyeol and Baekhyun sit together next to him and Kyungsoo sits next to Luhan in front of him. Luhan greets everyone but he is especially friendly Kyungsoo. They seem to know each other already and Jongin tries to focus on the napkins.

When the waiter approaches for the orders Jongin looks at Sehun who is gripping Luhan’s hand. He makes a slight discomfort face that he thinks no one notices but when he looks forward, Kyungsoo’s eyes are fixed into his.

Jongin holds the gaze because, in a way, those eyes demand all his attention.

“Um, Jongin?”

“What?” Jongin breaks the gaze when he hears Baekhyun and turns to him.

“What are you going to order?” he says and points to the waiter that is next to Jongin with the notepad on the hand.

“Oh, sorry.” He orders a chicken hamburger and forgets the feeling from a second ago.

“You could at least pretend you don’t care.” Baekhyun whispers to him as the waiter takes Kyungsoo’s order.

Jongin nods. He doesn’t care really, it’s not the fact that they aren’t dating per se, is more about those little details and quirks he swore he had with Sehun; but now sees between him and Luhan. Jealousy isn’t the word, nor anger or defeat.

Conformity and comfort were the two main points between their relationship. Sehun, more than flirty, has been clingy and affectionate towards Jongin. The latter just though it was the time to make a move.

Maybe what started as interest became routine. Jongin, too cozy and at ease, believed there was no other end but get together. But in reality the feelings also became just handy.

Sehun and Luhan are like two sick lovebirds and Jongin wants to puke because they are terribly disgusting. Not only the nicknames they use on each other are cringy, but also the constant pouting and petting are unnecessary. Chanyeol and Baekhyun aren’t pleasant either. Jongin is unsure of what is better, to hear the first talking like they are made of sugar or to see the last not keeping their hands to themselves, or at least their arms. So instead, he picks to look at Kyungsoo.

The smaller is watching Chanyeol and Baekhyun like they are pus and that makes Jongin snort. The former turns to Jongin who hides his smile with behind his hamburger. There is already a big space between them and their friends and Jongin is sure he can take even more distance.

“Should we leave them and go to another table?” he suggests pointing at the table next to them. It isn’t as far as he wants to, but he is sure he can distract himself better there. Kyungsoo nods with his food tray already on his hands. When they accommodate themselves in the new table they hear Baekhyun clear his throat.

“Where are you going?” Jongin feels relieved Baekhyun isn’t glued to Chanyeol when he turns to answer.

“We don’t want to vomit our food,” he ignores his friend’s roll of eyes and keeps the conversation just between Kyungsoo and him. A bit surprising, being with Kyungsoo is way better than being with his friends. He listens to Jongin and smiles a lot. He can talk about any kind of topic and has a good, and a bit acid, sense of humor. He even picks Jongin from time to time, but not annoyingly like his best friend.

Asking Kyungsoo to prom was such a great idea Jongin wants to pat his own back. He almost forgets Sehun and Luhan are there until his eyes meet them kissing. He probably can’t control his facial expression since Kyungsoo stops talking and turn to where Jongin gaze is fixed.

“I’m stupid,” Jongin laughs with a bit bittersweet. Disappointed he looks to anywhere but the couple. Not because them, but because he let them affect him again, even if it was just for a second.

Brush it off. There is a flying french fry that falls in his soda. He raises his gaze to find Kyungsoo eating.

“What was that for?” he takes the fry and throws it to Kyungsoo failing miserably when it falls in a napkin.

“Sorry, it’s just annoying how you look at them. Move one, is not the end of the world.”

“I know,” Jongin whines because he is trying, he doesn’t feel sad anymore, just confused. “And I am moving on, I swear.” He proceeds to search for fries to keep throwing at the smaller but finds the box empty.

“You better be. I won’t go to prom with you if you are going to suddenly cry over his .”

“I’m not crying.” Jongin straightens his back and tries to make a slight angry face to stop Kyungsoo, but he pouts and his effort ends on the trash.

Are you sure?” Kyungsoo smiles mockingly and when Jongin sticks out his tongue to him he pinches his hand.

Jongin whines and keeps his hands near him. Being with Kyungsoo demands a lot of attention too.

 

 


This is so lame, I'm sneezing, I am so sorry.
Anyway, part 2 is coming in a week or a bit more, I hope. 
Thanks for (bearing) reading.