Drabble #1

Dragons

Hakyeon winced when Sanghyuk called his name. He had hoped that he could get past the lead dragon rider’s hut without being noticed, but clearly that hadn’t happened. What made Hakyeon wince even harder when he heard just how tired Sanghyuk sounded. That was why he had wanted to go unnoticed by his leader!

Sanghyuk already had so many things to deal with. His father wanted him to take a more active role in leading village. The dragon hunters were being especially active lately and that was creating a lot of problems. The twins, Ravi and Hongbin, were up to their usual tricks that always left the rest of the team exasperated and annoyed.

And then there was the whole thing with Taekwoon.

Hakyeon didn’t know what had happened between Sanghyuk and Taekwoon. They just seemed to be fine and happy one day and then they were fighting. And not the normal fight that couples had. These were…..cold. Different. There seemed to be legit anger on Taekwoon’s side and Sanghyuk…..he just seemed so tired of everything.

“Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk sighed, realizing that Hakyeon wasn’t going to just come in, “get in here.”

“I’m sorry,” Hakyeon sighed, closing the door as softly as he could, “Hookfang got….i don’t know, spooked by something and dropped me into a mud hole.”

“That’s not what I wanted to talk about,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, “Hookfang dropping you into something isn’t exactly new.”

“Hey,” Hakyeon huffed, looking away so Sanghyuk didn’t see his smile over making his leader smile.

“I wanted to ask if you could look after everything for a few days,” Sanghyuk said, moving to pet Toothless’ head when his dragon brushed up against his leg.

“What?” Hakyeon blinked, confused as to why Sanghyuk would ask him of all people.

Taekwoon was the natural first choice since he was Sanghyuk’s second in command. But with the way things were going between the two, maybe he wasn’t a good choice. Jaehwan however was just as well versed in dragons and training them as Sanghyuk. If anyone could fill the leader role other then Sanghyuk, it was Jaehwan.

“Jaehwan is coming with me,” Sanghyuk explained, “and….and I think you know why I don’t want to leave Taekwoon in charge right now.”

“But I can’t be leader,” Hakyeon argued, “and what about when Taekwoon finds out you left me in charge? He’ll flip out!”

“Maybe,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “but he’ll learn to deal with it.”

“Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon asked, “what….what’s going on between you and Taekwoon?”

“He broke up with me,” Sanghyuk sighed, “he’s going through some stuff and decided we shouldn’t be together.”

“Then why is he lashing out at you?” Hakyeon scoffed, “what? Did he expect you to fight him on it or something?” the silence answered his question, “Oh Thor, he did, didn’t he? What game does he think he’s playing at?”

“Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk said, frowning slightly, “please, stop.”

“But you’re hurting,” Hakyeon huffed, “and it’s all his fault.”

“Taekwoon is hurting, too,” Sanghyuk reasoned, “I can’t blame him for lashing out at me.”

“I can,” Hakyeon replied, “Taekwoon’s got issues? Well, so does everyone. But you especially. He’s just adding to your stress and that’s the last thing you need right now.” Toothless made a noise of agreement.

“Not you too, bud,” Sanghyuk sighed, “alright, fine. I’ll admit that I’m upset with Taekwoon for taking it out on me. I’m pissed that he’s doing this because I’m already dealing with a lot, but….”

“But you love him,” Hakyeon frowned, glaring at the ground.

Hakyeon had known for a while that he liked Sanghyuk. He’d known he liked him even back when Sanghyuk was regarded as a failure and their people hunted dragons instead of trained them. It had hurt so much when Sanghyuk and Taekwoon started dating, but he’d put on a fake smile and playfully flirted with Taekwoon just as he always had.

“I do,” Sanghyuk nodded sadly, “it’s something….something I’m working to get over.”

“So what’s this mission you’re going on?” Hakyeon asked, moving to sit at Sanghyuk’s desk and silently hoping that Sanghyuk allowed the topic change.

“Well,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, grabbing the dragon eye and putting in the lens he wanted, “we think that there’s a new dragon on this island…….”

A/N: I have wanted to do a ‘How To Train Your Dragon’ au for ages. And now that I’ve done it, I’m happy~~~~ it turned out a wee bit different then I had planned, but it’s still good. Hence why I posted it haha if it was crap I’d have it sitting in the bin.