Birthday's Present

Again

It's already around 2 am here and forgive me for some typos T^T .. English is not my first language.. i'm probably gonna edit it in the morning ! Anyway happy reading  guys ! don't forget to comments!

-mondchan-


 

It’s only 7 am in the morning but Minkyung already had her head buried on her desk, forgetting the fact that she is just arrived at the company fifteen minutes ago and her piles of papers work already waiting for her. She heard a clap sound in front of her but she decides to ignore it.

“There you are birthday girl! Happy birthday!” Her friend exclaimed cheerfully but she still ducking her head on the table. Seeing no reaction from Minkyung, she tried to poke her with folded magazine and seems like it’s working because the birthday girl finally look up on her even with releasing a big sigh first.  “What’s with that face? Aren’t you supposed to be happy? Are you okay? You seems like had a trouble.”

“If you wanna say that I look like a right now just say it Kyungwon.“ She sits up from her position earlier and scoffs at the younger girl. Kyungwon only lets out a chuckle while leaning on her cubicle.

“If you say so, yes you look like a right now. What happens? It’s still 7 in the morning and you already this grumpy? Isn’t today is your birthday? How about we go out later? My treat, I know some good restaurant downtown, we can tag along Sungyeon and Yewon too if you want.” The younger raises her eyebrows while questioningly look at the older girl and Minkyung only rubs her temple in depressed way.

“Thanks for the offer, but I don’t think I could take that.”

“What? Why? You have something to do later? Tell me.” Kyungwon grab her chair and facing Minkyung with eager face to get to know about why Kim Minkyung being this grumpy on her special day. Kang Kyungwon isn’t the type to sticking her nose into everyone business but seeing her  best friend looks like in deep trouble only concerned her a lot. Minkyung only lets out another sigh and glance into the window behind the younger girl, starring into it blankly.

“Remember Sungyeon’s birthday last year?”

“Sungyeon’s birthday?” She frowns and thinking for awhile until something hits her. Kyungwon tried to hold her laugh but failed miserably until Minkyung glares hard at her “The one that ‘ Mom, I’ve been thinking about this for awhile and please don’t be offended, why I’m not as tall as you mom? Even Siyeon is taller than me?’  and then you answered ‘That’s because.. that’s because .. nevermind Sungyeon ah, you’re only sixteen you still can grow up later.’  When actually the reason is her dad is just a midget and small, why don’t you just tell the truth? You don’t even tell her who is her dad till now, right?” Kyungwon successfully retell the story with the same pronunciation like Minkyung did few months ago and end it up with teasing tone.

“Do you have to remember it that clear?” Minkyung groans in annoyance.

“How can I’m not? Wasn’t it funny? She even thought her dad is intern Lee Jihoon because she feels like the only relatable ‘Why I’m not as tall as my mother’ was maybe because her dad is small? That’s the truth but slash that Lee Jihoon part, he has nothing to do with that.” Kyungwon laughs again. “Wait, so what’s the connection between Sungyeon’s birthdays with this?”

“Sungyeon barely even remember that jerk when we leave that day she’s only two and I don’t have any plan to remember him again since then.” Minkyung deadpanned, even Minkyung said that she doesn’t want to remember it, she still remember it clearly how they got into argument, how they yelled into each other, how she packed her luggage that night, took Sungyeon with her and ran into Kyungwon’s apartment. She also remembers it was lead them into the court and divorce.

“Okay, we are not gonna talking about that then.” Kyungwon smiles in defeat. “So?”  She raised her eyebrows and Minkyung sigh again. Just how many times she gonna sighs this morning?

“The thing is …”

 

Flashback

   “Moooommmm.” Sungyeon’s bragged into Minkyung’s room and jump into her bed in the morning straddled her in excitement. Minkyung wants to groan out loud right now for the sudden intrusion on her beauty sleep, she barely sleep in proper way because her boss Mr. Im keep giving her tons of work to do, but she didn’t have a heart when her daughter being this cheerful like she is in sugar high.

“What is it Sungyeon ah?” She rubs her sleepy eyes and tried sit up stopping the jumping Sungyeon on her belly.

“Happy birthdayyy momm!  I love you!” She smiled beamingly and gave Minkyung sloppy kiss on her cheeks then crushed her down into bed again. Minkyung only laughs seeing her daughter antics. She ruffled her hair and kissed her temple.

“Thank you sweetie, I love you too. Is this why you’re up in the morning earlier than me?” Sungyeon nodded in eagerness and smiled widely at her.

“Yep! I want to be the first one saying happy birthday to you when you open your beautiful eyes!”

“You’re being greasy now, who teach my daughter being this greasy hmm?hmm? Tell me.” She tickled Sungyeon and rolls her to side. Sungyeon laughed out loud and whines because she still has something to say to her mother.

 “Momm.. moo..sthapp.. haha.. momm.. I have ..hhaha something to say.” Minkyung stops tickling her and placed an elbow behind her neck facing her daughter from the side.

“What is it?” Sungyeon grinned when Minkyung shows any interest,

“Remember about my birthday last year?”

“Of course, why?”

“Forget about that stupid question of mine mom, I have a better thing now and it’s my birthday present for you.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yup!  It’s not my idea at first but I’m glad that my friends help me with it. The thing is, Uhmm.. I’ve talked it with my friends and few weeks ago I went to the dating agency with Siyeon.-“

“Wait what? Dating agency? Sungyeon you still 16!” Minkyung’s protective mother side suddenly kick in, there’s no way she’ll let any boy goes near her baby right now.

“Nooo.. No! “ Sungyeon frantically denying it “Listen to me first.”-and she whines to her mom while showing her best puppy face that could melt Minkyung.

“Okay, go on.”

“Where was I before? Oh right! I went to the dating agency with Siyeon and guess what? They calling me yesterday night and telling me that they finally found a right partner for you. So-“ Minkyung widened her eyes … WHAT!?!?!I  “-tonight, they already book a place for you two to have a dinner together.” Sungyeon finished that beaming smile of hers, making her chubby cheeks looks chubbier than before. Minkyung feels like she still in dreamland or that’s probably what she hopes right now, her innocent and pure daughter just signed her up on dating agency without telling her and tonight she has to go for a blind date? Seriously? World must be hate her more than her piles of works. Minkyung internally facepalmed herself. Sungyeon really needs to stop hanging with Siyeon for her own good I mean my own good.

“Ehem.. “ Minkyung tried to clear and asking her once more hoping that her daughter just pull a prank on her in the morning because she was hanging out with Siyeon that much these days more than she hanging with Kyungwon’s daughter Yewon or that transfer student Sungyeon have been telling around Kyla and that means Siyeon taught her something mischief.  “You want mom to go on blind date like that?”

“Yup!” She nods happily… I’m really doomed… “I want thank you mom for rising me up like this, but really I think you should have someone by yourself too mom. I want my mom’s happiness. Eung.. You never told me about dad but I think there’s something that you want to tell me later, I ‘ll try to not pry it again for now, so I think I could give you another happiness by this.”  Seeing her daughter being this happy Minkyung doesn’t have a heart to ruin this moment and she carefully ask her again.

“Thank you Sungyeon-ah, but aren’t you already happy with mommy?”

“Mom.. please?” She whines and gives her best puppy eyes again…

“O…Okay..”

“Yay! I love you mom!” She crushed down Minkyung again and Minkyung tenderly smooth down her hairs while murmuring I love you too  but truthfully she’s crying inside … what a good morning birthday call.

                my live…….

               

                End of Flashback

                “Can I laugh now?”

                “Even I said no you’ll laugh anyway, go on.” –and Kyungwon bursts out into laughter. She could care less about her position as head of human resource department and Minkyung position as Mr. Im’s secretary now since their boss wasn’t even coming yet and obviously their office wasn’t really since this is weekend and they’re coming because they have an urgent meeting later about company’s stock.

                “Are you even serious? Sungyeon, all of people? Signed you up into dating agency and set you into blind date tonight? Aww this must be your best birthday ever Kim Minkyung.”

                “Shut up! I don’t have a heart to say no to her when she is being that giddy, goshhh seriously Sungyeon needs to stop hanging with Mr. Im daughter.” Minkyung pulling her hair in annoyance while Kyungwon still tried to stop her face for smiling that much seeing her same age friend being this frustrated. Kyungwon is just same like Minkyung, single parents as well maybe that’s also one of many things that make them click to each other and for now Kyungwon was glad even Yewon in the same clique as Sungyeon she is not being this absurd for suddenly setting up her mom on blind date for her birthday. Thanks heaven for that.

                “And what’s my daughter did this time Miss Kim?” A sudden monotone voice intrusion makes them look up and find their boss with his signature blank expression looking at them.

“Oh, good morning Mr.Im.” Kyungwon bows down greeting him. Minkyung didn’t bother to changes her miserable face while looking at her boss. They’ve known long enough and being comfortable around each other despite their awkward first year working together since Im Nayoung isn’t really the type to talk that much.

“Good morning to you too Miss Kang. Now Miss Kim, mind to tell me something?”

“Sungyeon and Siyeon signed her up into dating agency and last night Sungyeon got a call that they already book a dinner date for Minkyung tonight.” Instead of Minkyung, Kyungwon answered that for her. Nayoung nods in understanding before sighing and apologizing to the younger girl.

“I think I know where is this come from,” Minkyung frowns in confusion. “Few weeks ago Siwon told me that Siyeon coming home late, she said she was helping her friend to signed up her mom into dating agency because when Siyeon play at Dani’s house with Somi, Heehyun told her a story about how he met Chaeyeon from dating agency like that and it sounds romantic to them, I don’t know that her friend she was talking about is actually Sungyeon because Siwon didn’t ask her either.”

“Heehyun as Ki Heehyun!? The owner of the café and bakery downtown?” Minkyung ask in disbelieve.

“It’s his wife Chaeyeon who own the bakery.” Nayoung corrected.

“Whatever- That’s completely bull!-“

“Language Miss Kim.” Nayoung  stoic voice is coming but Minkyung only brushed it off.

“We both know that Heehyun always that whipped for Chaeyeon and they’ve been known each other since their college day and practically dated each other. What the heck he was coming up with that sappy story?!” Minkyung was in rage like seriously this all nuisances coming from there!? She really needs to watch her daughter’s friends from now on.

“I think Heehyun just meant to jokes but kids took it the wrong way, on Siyeon’s behave I’d like to ask your forgiveness.” She only nods because her brain still trying to process everything and she wonders how can Siyeon being that mischief when Nayoung is a gentleman and responsible guy and Siwon is a generous, soft heart woman but-  “and because of that I’ll let you coming home early before 6 later since you also have a date to attend, right Miss Kim?” She didn’t miss how Kyungwon tried to hold her laugh again and how dumb her boss sometimes.

                It’s official, she’ll make a widow club soon with Kyungwon, Siwon and Chaeyeon cause she was already plotting 101 ways to murder Im Nayoung and Ki Heehyun right now.

   

……………………………………………………………….

               

                Two days ago….

                Another trap and hard bass sounds coming out from studio’s speaker somewhere in Gangnam, there’s a guy who’s too occupied scratching his pen here and there on the paper in front of him working the lyric there for another group. It was all good until someone abruptly bragged his studio door without bothering to knock-

                “KANG YEKONGGG!!” He nearly crushed his pen into two because he got annoyed and he snaps back to the intruder.

                “How many times I told you to knock JUNG EUNWOO! I’m working right now!” He loses his mood in instant and Eunwoo only sheepishly grins at him.

                “Woops! I’m sorry dude but this is an urgent matter.”

                “This better an urgent matter for real or I’ll kick you out from here in ten seconds.”  Kang Yebin, or being known as The Bean has been marked his name on music industry these last five years as successful music producer and song writer and now he is not gonna let this beagle friend of him ruining his another on-working masterpiece.

                “Chill dude. I just need your help right now, please?”

                “Help?” Yebin frowns at him while Eunwoo only grins in response.  Yebin has a feeling that this one is not gonna be good.

                “You know, err.. how do I start this..”

                “To the point Jung Eunwoo.” Yebin deadpanned

                “Okay okay dude seriously you have to be this scary? It’s been three days since another client comes to my office.”

                “And then?”

                “Would you like to come into my office and sign up yourself as my client?” There is a second of silent until Yebin yells at him.

                “ …..ME WHAT?!”

                “Please?” Eunwoo begs him and excessively making a miserable face. Jung Eunwoo, his same age friend since diapers is an owner of a rising dating agency downtown with 90% rate of success dates. He could understand his worries but really it’s only been three days, what do you expect? People would come every day to looking for their partner?

                “It’s only been three days, what are you worrying about? It’s not even a month yet, you’re just exaggerating it.” Yebin scoffs and turn his chair back into his lyric on the table but Eunwoo spins his chair again to face him.

                “You don’t get it.” Eunwoo whines at him “Please please dude, how if Jieqiong get bored because no one coming there? How if once she head back at home she starts to pack her luggage and back to Shanghai leaving me only with resignation letter?” It’s not a secret that Eunwoo have a thing to his bright and bubbly receptionist named Zhou Jieqiong, everyone with eyes could see that Eunwoo was that whipped to the Chinese girl and really Yebin was wondering it’s been two years since Jieqiong working there but Eunwoo doesn’t even asked her out yet and despite how successful his dating agency is, everybody should know that Jung Eunwoo actually at relationship things.

                Yebin looking at him with poker face and mouthing whipped before snorted back at his remarks.

                “That’s your problem not mine.”

                “Duudeeeee pleaaasee, I’ve never ask you anything since we were diapers, right? Only this one.” True, Eunwoo never ask anything from him and this is the first time in his life …Eunwoo must be that desperate to keep Jieqiong there, this idiot seriously. Yebin sighs in defeat.

                “Okay, only this one. I’ll come to your office later.”

                “Really?”

                “Yeah, now get out I have lots of work to do.”

                “Wooohoo!! Thanks dude you’re the best, I’ll leave it to Jieqiong later she’ll call you for further information later. See ya there!” With that Eunwoo dashed off from his studio leaving him alone to work on his lyric again. Yebin only shakes his head; he has known Eunwoo long enough and gets with used with his friend behavior.

                “What I get myself into this time? You owe me a lot dude.”He lets out a sigh.. Truthfully, deep inside he didn’t want to do it because of his previous marriage ended up disastrous and he didn’t plan to have another relationship again even after 14 years but for sake of their long time friendship he’ll do that as long as Eunwoo happy.

 

                ………………………………………..

               

Minkyung already has done putting her make up for tonight. Now, she is adjusting her high heels for the final touch and looking up to the mirror in front of her, simple but elegant in her own way. She didn’t pick really fancy clothes because it was just casual dinner date like Sungyeon told her before.  She keeps chanting on her mind that “I’m doing this only for Sungyeon and later I could tell her the guy wasn’t meeting her expectation at all.”

“You look pretty mom.” Minkyung turns her head and see Sungyeon leaning on the door frame of her bedroom.

“You should know that your mom always pretty Sungyeon-ah.” Minkyung jokes at her.

“I know it all a long mom.” She approached her daughter and gives her a hug before she leaves for her date. “I hope he’ll treat you nicely mom, have a nice date.”

“I hope so.” NOOOOO I Hope that he’s a jerk so I can  go back early and forget this stupid date! I’ll haunt Ki Heehyun for sure!!!

“Oh and mom, Siyeon, Yewon and Kyla are coming over tonight, is that okay?”

 “As long as you’re not set our house in fire, that is okay.”

                ………………………………………………………….

 

                Yebin is anxious, he doesn’t remember last time he went into a date like this ..oh right it was probably also 14 years ago since he divorced and he tried to go out with several girls and it’s all failed on the first date like now however think for the positive it’s also a benefit for him, so he didn’t have to spend another date again and at least he already granted Eunwoo’s wish. He waits on his table or table that Jieqiong has set for him there. She said the girl gonna meet him around 8 pm but now it’s already fifteen minutes since 8 pm and he didn’t really like to wait, the worst part is he also didn’t know who’s his dates name and Jieqiong only told him that he should just wait on table number 10. He scoffed, he can already hear his dates gonna say lots of excuse for her lateness.

                “As always, women and their excuses.”  He still deeps in thought until someone approach him.

                “I’m sorry, I’m late there was a traffic jam before and the cab couldn’t move at all.” At first he didn’t bother to look up at all but once he looks up he was pretty sure that once this over he will make sure to send Jieqiong flies back to Shanghai and straggles Eunwoo to death.

                “M..Minkyung”

                …………………………………..

                As much as Minkyung didn’t want to go into this date she still has to respect her dates and not making him waiting but traffic jam speaks another way. She feels annoyed for sure, at least even she hopes that her dates gonna be a jerk she still wants to left at least good impression. Once she reaches the place that Sungyeon told her earlier, she rushed up to find the table with number 10 on it. Sungyeon told her that she didn’t know his name since that dating agency only told her the place and what is ther table number gonna be. She spots the table and she looks up there is a guy there, she feel extremely sorry for being late because in Minkyung’s dictionary being late is a big NO, even Nayoung give his credits for that since Minkyung always come early before their meeting.

                She comes up to the guy on the table while tried to muttering an apology, however when she finished her line, she didn’t predicted at all that her dates literally someone she called jerk.

                “I’m sorry, I’m late there was a traffic jam before and the cab couldn’t move at all.”

                “M..Minkyung”

                “Yebin…”

                ………………………………..

                The atmosphere is so awkward right now, no one wants to talks nor breaks the ice first and it makes them really uncomfortable. Well, who will be comfortable when your dates actually your ex wife/ ex husband who never meet again for about fourteen years and still hold some grudge?  

                “Maybe I should just going.” Minkyung tried to leave but Yebin holds her hand and told her to sit back again.

                “No..No no… please stay, ugh.. I mean you haven’t eaten anything, right? At least we- I mean you can grab some foods first and maybe leave..yeah leave.”  Yebin was stuttered and murmuring his last sentence but Minkyung catches that all. It’s been fourteen years and Minkyung won’t admit it when Yebin touches her and asking her to stay she still feels butterfly in her stomach like a school girl on her first date. However, her prides are bigger than that. She tried to be calm and not showing anything at all.

                “Okay.”

                …………………………………………

                They eat on silent and the only thing that could be heard is their cutting sound on their steak. Yebin thinks maybe it’s better to open a conversation, a casual conversation not gonna hurt, right?

                “How’s life?”

                “It’s great, everything is good.”

                “You still in that company?”

                “Hmm.” He only gets a hum on response. Womannnn why you gotta be this hard?!? He screamed internally because he running out of topics to talk about, sure he could write tons of songs with lots of words on it but finding a words to talk with Kim Minkyung after freaking fourteen years of divorce is surely harder than that. He thinks for awhile until he tried to ask this sensitive question.

                “How’s Sungyeon?” Minkyung stops slicing her steak when she heard that, she looks up at him and let out a sarcastic chuckle.

                “I thought you’ll never ask, glad that at least you still remember her name.” He felt terribly offended with that, who could forget his own daughter name?

                “I feel offended with that.”

                “Who knows if you don’t remember it at all? It’s been fourteen years and you’re always that busy.

                “Look, I know you still mad at me about what happened that day but really it’s been fourteen years-“

                “Do you think it’s easy for me to rising up Sungyeon by myself? You never care about her! You only care about yourself and your stupid dream-“

                “I told you before, it’s not about me! It’s about us and I want to prove myself that I can do that so you don’t have to work hard and just stay back on the house looking after her-“

                “Oh really? I look after her all the times, it was just you being selfish jerk!”

                Here we go again after fourteen years and once they meet they ended up spat at each other face again, letting their ego take over them. Minkyung doesn’t want to looks like she is weak but she can’t stop it when tears flowing out from her eyes. Yebin’s heart breaks when he see this, the woman he love so much crying in front of him and it’s all because him. He tried to wipes her tears but Minkyung slaps his hands away.

                “Don’t touch me-“However, Yebin’s reflects are better than her and he ended up holding her hands.

                “I know I’m a selfish jerk back then but I learn from it and I know I never said it because my ego told me so but, if no one gonna break this down this will never end even until we dead. I’m… I’m sorry, I’m really sorry for everything that I’ve done, for that night when I’m yelled at you, for the time that I’m not even there to Sungyeon, for those hard times you got because of me, really I’m sorry.” He looking at her right in the eye and Minkyung does the same, challenging him back, searching for his sincerity

                “Do you really think sorry will solve anything?”

                “I didn’t say it will, but at least I tried and I remember that I never said it before, better late than never at all.”

                Minkyung’s hards gaze slowly soften and she have to admit it she only wait that from Yebin, an apologize from him, admitting his fault in the past and as much she hate to admit it too, only Yebin could make her feel this way. She has to admit it too, she still love him even she hates him fr making her life this hard before.

                “I hate you.”

                “I know, I love you too and Happy Birthday.”

                He still remember it ….   

                …………………………………………………………

                Minkyung didn’t really remember how or she prefers not to remember it at all how she ended up in Yebin’s car right now. After some talks again they decide to wrap up the night and Yebin offered to drive her home, however she didn’t think this is the right way to her home at all.

                “I don’t think this is the right way to my home.”

                “Oh really? But I’m driving you home right now.” With how Yebin’s said it Minkyung already catches what Yebin actually trying to say.

                “Seriously?” She scoffs “Are you trying to kidnapping me now Kang Yebin?”

                “Last time I check you’re okay by I’m driving you home Miss Kang.” Yebin cheekily answer her.

                “Kang? Since when my sure name being Kang?”

                “Since you’re my wife.”

                “Last time I checked we are divorced.”

                “Soon baby, soon I’ll make you mine again and will never let you go this time.”  He winks at her and Minkyung have to looks into another way to hide her blush on her face, Yebin is always has his way with words and she should’ve known that. “And I don’t think Sungyeon will mind if her mom spends the night with her dad.” That’s it ! That’s it! He press the button and it sends chill down own her spine, Kang Yebin gonna be death of her.

                ………………………………………

                Minkyung didn’t protest when Yebin parks his car on his home, asking her to go inside with him.  She just silently does what he asks her to do.

                 “Do you really have to wear high heels when you already like a skyscraper?” Minkyung chuckled when she remove her high heels inside while Yebin following her from behind.

                “That’s just because you’re a midget.”

                “At least you love this midget.” Minkyung was surprised when suddenly Yebin grabs her arm and trapped her on the wall, their face was barely touching.

                “You and your sweet mouth, I bet actually you’re looking for a girl earlier aren’t you?”

                “I’ve got my woman now anyway, but well to be honest my dates are always . What about you Miss Kang?”

                “Didn’t I tell you before that last time I check we were divorce, you never listen to me.”

                “I listen to you very well and I said I’ll make you mine soon like really soon, physically or legally”

                “Aren’t we moving too fast?”

                “Nothing too fast for fourteen years dear.”

                Her lips twitch up into a smile when she feels Yebin’s caressing her cheeks in tender way and their finger interlacing with each other. Yebin was closing his eyes and leaning closer to her, same goes with Minkyung who resting her head on the wall and closing her eyes. however-

                “Shouldn’t I have to tell Sungyeon first?” Minkyung giggles and Yebin have to sighs in defeat, he rests his forehead on Minkyung’s shoulder.

                “You seriously like to play hard to get don’t you?”

                “Only for you.

               “Go call her then.” He smiles and kisses her cheek. They didn’t move from that position but Yebin gives her personal space to call their daughter. After some brief seconds finally Sungyeon picks up her phone.

                “Hello mom! How’s your date?” Sungyeon tried to ask her and she can hear some squeals voices probably from Yewon or Kyla since she believe that Siyeon pull a prank on them.

                “It went all right, Mmm…  Sungyeon,”

                “Yes?”

                “Seems like mom will coming home late.”

                “Siyeon that’s tickle!” She could hear her daughter squealing probably because Siyeon whisperings something since she could hear that a bit.

                “Oh.. I see.. ugh.. Mom..”

                “Yes, sweetie?”

                “Are you getting some tonight?”

                Her cheeks are burning up and Yebin tried to not laughing at her. That’s it, she hope that Siwon not gonna sue her later because she is not only gonna kill Im Nayoung, but also their daughter for this!