Still You...

You're Still You

"Hyunwoo .." Kihyun called his beloved lovingly while he walked towards the man.

Hyunwoo, a little startled, glanced over to his side, to find Kihyun smiled widely.

" Kihyun-ah ..." Hyunwoo smiled softly. Kihyun is always able to make his heart beats faster no matter how many times they were together. His little man always made him feel complete, just sat or laid by his side. He wondered what charm did Kihyun spell on him to ever felt that way. He is a dream partner in Hyunwoo's eyes. Does he have flaws, yes, who doesn't? But those flaws made him even irresistible.

The flaw that he could appear as a super confident and haughty boy. Only Hyunwoo who knew that sometimes his boyfriend just felt afraid of what people might think of him. He hid his weakness through his tough exterior. Yet, only with Hyunwoo that he could be all who he was without being afraid to be judged. Even if Hyunwoo would judge him, Hyunwoo was sure that Kihyun knew it would be a fair opinion because Hyunwoo could see what lies beyond.

Hyunwoo sighed. He was always weak when it comes about Kihyun. He didn't want to show it because he was afraid that it would only leave him breathless without Kihyun. He would keep his relationship as casual as possible. As a precaution. That if this relationship isn't going to work, he could still stand straight and strong.

He sometimes wondered if Kihyun's feeling towards him as strong as what Hyunwoo felt about Kihyun. So strong that it could last forever or shatter them apart. He kept his distance a bit just to make sure he didn't fall too hard. 

" Hey, pretty," Hyunwoo replied with a teasing smile and tone. Kihyun would complain and complain about him being called "pretty". Hyunwoo only shrugged and said that it was the fact. Kihyun knew for sure that Hyunwoo is a type of guy who didn't like to say sugar-coated words (he only did that when he wanted something from Kihyun). If he said Kihyun was pretty, he knew Hyunwoo meant it. One of the many similarities they found each other.

Kihyun smiled wider. He usually whined if Hyunwoo by nicknames. Pretty, Beautiful, Sugar, Sweety or Honey Pumpkin. Although after saying those nicknames Hyunwoo would make a disgusted look and acted as if he wanted to vomit. 

" Hey there, handsome."

True. In Kihyun's eyes, Hyunwoo will always be the most handsome guy. Inside and outside. 

Kihyun walked closer and when he was in front of Hyunwoo, he pecked Hyunwoo's lips lightly. Hyunwoo looked up to him ( because he towered Hyunwoo due to Hyunwoo's position now where he was sitting in a wheelchair). 

" How are you?" Kihyun suddenly regretted what he had just said, Stupid. He muttered to himself inside.

Hyunwoo looked expressionless. Yet Kihyun could catch a glimpse of sadness spread in his face. " I am good. Generally good. Hey, how about you? You look ... " 

"Horrible?" Kihyun answered for himself.

Hyunwoo chuckled. " I was going to say you look good on that pink and yes, you look a little bit pale. Is that what you're feeling now?"

Kihyun blushed. He likes pink (secretly) and Hyunwoo likes to whenever he wears something pink. He didn't say anything, just Hyunwoo's hair gently.

" Let's take a walk?" Kihyun suggested.

Hyunwoo smiled and nodded. Kihyun averted his stare to Jooheon who just watched them silently with a soft smile on his lips. "I'll be taking care of him now."

Jooheon nodded. " Just text me anytime you need help. I will be around. "

Due to some circumstances, Kihyun had saved Jooheon's personal number since Hyunwoo trusted him so well to take care of him when Kihyun's not around in the hospital. 

Kihyun nodded. After Jooheon left, he pushed the wheelchair softly. They were quiet. Kihyun took several glances down to Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo was quieter than usual. Kihyun would break their silences but he kept his words inside. For a moment, he would like to enjoy this silence while waiting for Hyunwoo to speak up.

" Let's just stop here," Hyunwoo said abruptly.

" Uh, oh, here, okay." Hyunwoo's words had managed to stop his mind from wandering and he made a sudden stop. They stopped in the far side of the garden where he could see pink cherry blossom trees around and a beautiful pond with a stone bridge that crossed the pond.

" Ooh, nice spot you chose, Hyunwoo." Kihyun nudged Hyunwoo's arm lightly. 

Hyunwoo sighed. " No, Kihyun-ah. Let's stop here ... " His dark brown eyes seemed a bit watery now. But Kihyun who was infatuated with his surrounding didn't notice it. 

" Eh? We're here, Hyunwoo." Kihyun didn't understand what Hyunwoo meant which was clearly portrayed the way he sounded. He moved his position and now he was in front of Hyunwoo. "Hyunwoo?"

Hyunwoo closed his eyes. Tears rolled down to his cheek. "Let's stop now. Kihyun-ah. Let's not meet each other anymore."

" Just--leave me," Hyunwoo couldn't finish his words. It sounded so bitter. He couldn't even believe he had guts to say it.

Kihyun froze in his position. A flash of memory played like a silent movie in his head. The bitter fact and reality that suddenly appeared in their relationship. The reality he and Hyunwoo avoided to talk about for these past two weeks. 

The event happened exactly two and half weeks ago where Hyunwoo lost his best friend Jinyoung in a car accident. That night, Hyunwoo and Jinyoung had just celebrated Jinyoung's friend who got a scholarship abroad. Hyunwoo made sure that he didn't drink too much because he is a responsible man who promised that he would deliver Jinyoung back to Jaebum safely ( Jinyoung's fiance and also happened to be Hyunwoo's close friend) and because he promised Kihyun to return home safely. They excused themselves from the party around 12 pm and Hyunwoo drove in medium speed. Said that they talked about their lives and future plans when suddenly a drunken and careless driver cut their way and made their car slipped. The impact shouldn't be too great because Hyunwoo drove in medium speed but another car who was speeding from other direction hit their car and made their car rolled over and over before it hit the electricity pole.

That night, Hyunwoo lost his best friend.

That night Hyunwoo was unconscious and didn't realize how Kihyun wailed and cried looking at his body.

That night, Jaebum also wailed over his fiance's lifeless body in the hospital.

Hyunwoo miraculously was alive yet in critical condition. After two days in a comma, Hyunwoo woke up from his comma just to find that he had lost both of his legs on that accident. He was in shock for a day and refused to eat or talk. He cried silently even in his sleep. Kihyun's the one who could make him relax a bit. That day, that drunken and careless driver didn't only take a beloved person of Jaebum, he also took Hyunwoo's dreams and happiness. Two and a half weeks passed by and Hyunwoo still broke in tears and shock whenever he was feeling discouraged or hopeless on a simple task like going to the bathroom by himself or just to move from his bed to sit up or when he remembered about his best friend Jinyoung who couldn't wed his fiance Jaebum.

Kihyun's life was revolved around his work office, hospital and home for those past weeks until now. He couldn't rest properly because every time he wanted to sleep, the only person who would fill his mind was Hyunwoo. Was he okay alone in his room or what Hyunwoo was doing or did he eat his meal regularly? Kihyun was missing him. Every day when he slept at night, he hoped that Hyunwoo's arms would embrace him tightly just like usual or when he woke up, he hoped that it was Hyunwoo's smile that greeted him to start his day. Kihyun would break down alone in his bed, cried until his tears went dry and fell asleep exhaustedly.

"Kihyun-ah." Hyunwoo's voice took him back to reality. " Please just leave me. Don't waste your life for me. You deserve much more in this life ... " 

Kihyun tilted his head. " What do you mean? I don't deserve you? Hyunwoo, you're the LIFE that I want! " 

Hyunwoo looked into his eyes. He averted his eyes to the side, unable to keep looking into his lover's eyes.

" Kihyun, I am not the person who I was. Right now, you only hurt yourself by loving me."

" You don't know what you're talking about--" Kihyun's stubborn streak appeared. 

" I know dammit- I know what I'm talking about! Look at me! Look here! Here's why!" Hyunwoo snapped and pointed his amputated legs. Both of his legs were amputated from the toes until his knee. " Do you know how hurt for me looking myself in the mirror now?! Look! I am a disabled man, Kihyun! Disabled! I am a half man and useless man! I can't even take a leak by myself! I can't---!" Hyunwoo cursed bitterly. He bit his lips to prevent him from crying. 

Kihyun kept silent. The rage and bitterness he could see and feel from Hyunwoo's words echoed in his ears. He took a breath and said, "What do you want from me? Do you really want me to leave you?"

This time, Hyunwoo kept quiet. The sound of his raging breath filled the air and it felt like the only sound Kihyun could hear right now.  

"Hyunwoo, let me tell you something.  I knew this perfect man, once. " Kihyun smiled with tears brimmed in his eyes.

"The definition of what perfection in a man form can be. At least for me," Kihyun paused for a while, now staring at his hands. He took his hands and grabbed Hyunwoo's both hands in his hands, then he intertwined them together. He could hear the latter sighed softly. This little gesture was his and Hyunwoo's favorite gesture whenever they were dating or just alone in their home. It was like a simple way to say " I love you" in their own language. 

" I fall in love to a perfect man and we're not talking about a man with perfect body and gosh, look at you! Look how perfect you are..." Kihyun stared into Hyunwoo's dark orbs with sincerity and love.

" I fall in love with his confidence yet shy character, his manly yet cute image, his smart head, his gentle nature, his brilliant and goofy humor, his warm and gentle heart, his--his everything." 

" Hyunwoo, that man is you. It's still you. That drunken bastard may have taken your legs but you're still you, the man whom I fall in love every day with, so, please. Please don't say something like that again ... don't tell me to leave you because of your body. I don't love you for your body, Hyunwoo. You have to no-no you need to know that I love you so much. You."

Saying the last sentence makes Kihyun sobbed. He sobbed in Hyunwoo's lap. He couldn't hide his inner thought again. There, he said it already. The fact that he loves Hyunwoo so much that he will be shattered in pieces if Hyunwoo ever leaves him.

" I am madly, desperately, and truly in love with you, Hyunwoo. I am more than willing to spend all of my life just to make you happy. If I leave you, I will just spend my life in regret and tears, knowing that a day passed without you by my side. It is the same as if you ask me to stop breathing, Hyunwoo."

Kihyun lifted his head to stare to Hyunwoo. He cupped Hyunwoo's cheeks which were stained with tears now. " Don't ask me to leave you. You better ask me to die for you which I will do willingly, " Kihyun didn't have a chance to finish his words when suddenly Hyunwoo kissed him as if to shut him up from saying another word. Kihyun melted in the kiss that he shared with Hyunwoo. The kiss was wet because his tears and Hyunwoo's tears mixed together with their lips.

After a while, with forehead still leaning each other, Hyunwoo broke the kiss. " Don't say things like that. Nobody is supposed to die. Not Jinyoung, not you. No one. I am so sorry for saying those words, Kihyun-ah. I--I never knew how much you felt about me. I was so desperately in love with you but I have no right to keep you by my side especially after I--"

"--you are perfect to me, Hyunwoo. You still are. You're still you, Son Hyunwoo, my dream man. My lover, my everything. My love for you doesn't change a bit. Not yesterday, not now, not tomorrow. I am happy by your side. But the question now is, are you happy with me? Every day spent with me? " Kihyun eyes glistened in tears. He looked deep inside Hyunwoo's eyes. Expecting something.

Hyunwoo caressed Kihyun's cheeks, his nose, and lips. His worry of being rejected had vanished. He was afraid that Kihyun would be ashamed of who he is now after both of his legs were amputated, now he was sure that Kihyun would never leave him for that. All that he was looking now is this pretty face looking at him expectantly. He pecked again those rosy lips and whispered, "I am happy with you. Never a day I wish for someone else beside you, Kihyun-ah. I have loved and always love you yesterday, today and tomorrow."

Kihyun smiled, the one that could light the sky up in a second. "Hyunwoo,"

He closed his eyes in happiness which made Hyunwoo smiled gently and cupped both of Kihyun's cheeks, "Let's stay like this forever. Forever being in love ..."

Kihyun chuckled. "Yes, let's do that."

They shared a moment to stare to each other and then their lips were connected to each other in another sweet and long kiss as if it were to make up what they missed in those past weeks of bitterness, anger, sadness, and confusion.

The wind in the spring season brought the sweet fragrance of blossomed flowers all over them as if it was carrying new hope for a couple who had gone through something terrible in their journey. A journey of understanding that true love would never only see physical things but what lies within.

And Kihyun found in Hyunwoo as Hyunwoo found in Kihyun.

 

~~THE END~~