-3-

Champion

To no one's surprise, Yunho made the five-member Worlds team again that year.

To everyone's surprise, so did Changmin.

When Yunho's name was announced, he felt as if a burden was being lifted from his shoulders and was barely holding back tears of sheer relief. He buried his face in his hands and said a prayer of thanks, and doubled over as he felt the nerves leaving him. It took him several breaths and pats on his shoulders from his teammates to settle down again.

When Changmin's name was announced, he smiled and nodded, but didn't otherwise react.

"How come you're not that happy to have made Worlds?" asked Yunho once they were alone in their room that night. Changmin was studying at his desk, and Yunho didn't understand how. When he first made Worlds, he was so excited that he couldn't even sleep, no less study. "It's your first international assignment. And it's going to be Worlds."

Changmin looked up from his schoolwork.

"I am happy to have made Worlds," said Changmin, fiddling with his pen. "I just… wasn't expecting to make it, so it was just… a surprise. That's why I didn't react."

"You're not even that happy now," pointed out Yunho. "Changmin. All the other guys on the team who didn't make Worlds are going to be crying themselves to sleep tonight. You need to at least be happy. For their sake."

Changmin looked and Yunho and sighed. "I am happy. I'm not lying about that. It's also just that… It wouldn't have been the end of the world for me not to have made it."

Yunho narrowed his eyes when Changmin spoke again. "But I do recognize that even for me, making it to Worlds is a big deal. I am happy."

"What does that even mean?"

"I mean I'm not like you guys," said Changmin flatly. "I'm not hung up on winning at Worlds or the Olympics."

"Oh my God, Changmin," said Yunho, shaking his head in frustration. "What a complete waste of your talent. And your time and effort."

Changmin sighed and put his pen down. "You don't really get it. Maybe one day, you will."

Yunho doubted it.

"Let's talk about something better," said Changmin, looking right at Yunho and eyes sparkling. "Retirement."

"Your career literally just started," said Yunho in disbelief. "You're already thinking about retirement?"

Changmin ignored him.

"When do you think you're going to retire?" asked Changmin.

"When I win Olympic gold," said Yunho stubbornly.

Yunho expected a snort, but what returned was a low hum.

"And what if you don't win Olympic gold this quad? You're going for the one after?"

Yunho thought for a bit. "Yeah, I think I'll still have it in me to try for another quad."

Changmin looked at him curiously. "But this is what I don't understand about you guys. All of you guys who want Olympic gold," he said. "Like… Why? Why do you want Olympic gold?"

Yunho stared. "Why not?"

"Because it's completely meaningless? Because hundreds of people get an Olympic gold every four years? And every year, records are beaten and you are definitely not the first, the last, or the only person with Olympic gold? Because going for that Olympic gold is actual hell on Earth?"

"Stop it," groaned Yunho. "Stop trying to invalidate what I've been trying to achieve for my whole life."

Changmin shrugged. "I'm not trying to invalidate anything. If it's your life goal, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to convince you."

Yunho sighed and plopped his head down on the pillow. "Why do you swim then? What do you want to get out of this?"

"To stay on the National Team for a couple of years," said Changmin. "And then one day, I'm gonna book it out of here."

Yunho shook his head in disbelief. "What's the point of that?"

"The point, hyung, is that already, I'm pretty sure that I am going to live an acceptable life, just by being on this team for like… 4 months." Changmin sat up. "Hyung. I know you think that I shouldn't have accepted those sponsorships for whatever reason. But you know what? I'm not going to have to worry about food to eat or a bed to sleep in for the next like… five years because I got those sponsorships. Hyung. My goal is really simple." He looked right at Yunho. "My goal is to live a reasonable life."

A hot surge of anger coursed through Yunho's body. It was upsetting to him that Changmin didn't understand how sacred his position was.

"You don't need to be an international athlete to live a reasonable life," said Yunho, barely controlling his voice from shaking with anger.

"No, but it's one way to do it," said Changmin.

"And you wonder why the coach beats you and calls you a useless piece of ," said Yunho angrily. "You don't give a . You don't give a about the team, your sponsors, your fans, the people who are working day and night to help you win –"

"No one ever gave s about me until I made this stupid team, why am I obligated to give s about anyone else?" shot back Changmin.

"Because you've made it this far, and you need to appreciate how lucky you are!"

"Lucky?" repeated Changmin in disbelief. "Jung Yunho, don't you dare. Don't you dare."

"The coach is right," said Yunho, shaking his head. "You don't deserve to be on the National Team."

" you," said Changmin. And for the first time, Yunho saw tears well up in Changmin's eyes. " you. Don't you dare run your mouth like that when you have no ing idea who I even am."

"I don't care who you are," said Yunho, blood boiling. "You don't deserve to represent this country with that attitude."

"Like I give a about what you think," spat Changmin, glaring at Yunho. "Don't ever speak to me like that again."

Changmin then got up and left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.