Chapter 01

21 Days

Zhou Jieqiong was more than convinced that the woman in front of her was the femme fatale of all femme fatales, a temptress, or something equally dangerous. Not to mention, straight up annoying.

Although she had to admit, seeing Im Nayoung stuff a few of her belongings away into a single bag frightened her, and that prompted her to finally swallow the lump on and inquire, “You are aware that the lease isn’t until next week, right?”

The older girl halted her actions only to look up at the younger with a rather sullen look curled up on their― Jieqiong’s couch. A ghost like frown was on her picture perfect face; invisible yet detectable.

“It’s easier to pack things little by little than all at once.” Nayoung protests, a small tug on the corner of her lips. She purses them before standing up to get another bag.

Both Nayoung and Jieqiong were never too comfortable within themselves.

This was because both of them (Jieqiong more than Nayoung) were deeply familiar with the concept of leaving. People left when they chose to, or through an act of nature.

The impact of one’s departure had on the people who loved them was unimaginable.

Both Nayoung and Jieqiong understood the fact that people always leave, and it was for that sole reason that they had a metaphorical death grip on each other.

Though leaving was inevitable, they would not let go of one another for as long as they could control it.

Unfortunately, it came to the point where it was ungovernable.

It was rather idiotic of Jieqiong to drunk make out with someone from the performing arts department –Chaeyeon, was it? – in her and Nayoung’s shared apartment. Truly an act of an imbecile.

And even though Nayoung caught them in the act with her usual expressionless façade, Jieqiong, despite being drunk, still managed to see the hurt in her eyes.

It was bad enough that she got caught and that Minkyung of all people still had to lecture her about underage drinking, all her luck finally ran out when Nayoung decided to get her own flat just a floor away from theirs– Jieqiong’s.

“Do you need any help?” the younger one finally detached herself from the furniture once she saw Nayoung –God forbid –working up a sweat from pacing back and forth from here to there in an attempt to finalize what needs to be finalized.

“I can do it by myself,” was Nayoung’s monotone reply but Jieqiong deciphered it as “Hell yeah I need your help”.

She reached for the heavy looking box Nayoung was carrying and flinched slightly when her fingers grazed through the skin of her arm. It had been about two weeks since the pair made any form of skinship, a miserable drought in Jieqiong’s book.

The slight moment of skin brushing against skin put a smile on her face nonetheless. She glanced at Nayoung to see if there were any forms of reaction, she hoped to see a smile but the same stone expression greeted her.

She placed the box down in between her and Jieqiong before she ironed her shirt with her palm. “I’m going to Minkyung’s.”

She was quick enough to slam their –Jieqiong’s door shut before the latter could even protest.

This was Nayoung’s default action now whenever Jieqiong would initiate a conversation.

She sighed, fishing her phone out of her pocket.

XX

“Don’t sit there!” Jieqiong has been through enough today and it was only half past noon. Maybe telling Yebin and Eunwoo to come over wasn’t such a good idea. “That’s Nayoung’s seat.” 

It was stupid that she was still protecting Nayoung's spot even though she was only six days closer to leaving.

Eunwoo shot her a quizzical look. “Since when?”

“Since she and Chaeyeon made out on every piece of furniture except for that one.” Yebin pointed out the single seater sofa with her pouted lips before plopping herself down the center couch.

Jieqiong glared at her. If looks could kill, Yebin would’ve been dead at the age of 3.

“Don’t look at me like that.” she snickers along with Eunwoo before Jieqiong throws herself at the far end of the furniture, clearly not liking how her visitors add up to the of a mood she was in. Is this what she gets for praying in two languages? Probably.

“You’re stupid.” Yebin says as she places both her feet on the miserable being’s lap.

“Wonderful observation.”  the latter counters.

Yebin winced when a sharp punch rendezvoused with her arm, partnered with drastic motions from Eunwoo, telling her to at least not make Jieqiong feel worse.

“What I mean to say is—“

“It’s all my fault.” Jieqiong cuts her off, hugging the nearby throw pillow. It had Nayoung’s scent, memories of them in silent embraces lying back on the soft couch hits her like a truck.

“Well,” Yebin pondered for a while, thinking of the right words to say, looking to Eunwoo for help but all she saw was an apologetic expression. “Yeah, it really is.”

“Yebin!”

“What?!”

Eunwoo sighed and stood up to sit beside Jieqiong. A feather-like pat met with the top of her head. “It’s not entirely your fault,” a reassuring smile played on her lips. “Do what you need to do to make yourself feel better.”

And with that, Jieqiong cleared her thoughts and came to a decision that won’t make her feel bad anymore. Or so she thought.

XX

“What are you doing?” Nayoung came back around midnight, eyeing what seemed to be Jieqiong dragging a large box around their—Jieqiong’s living room.

She whelps, quite surprised that the stupid stone was actually talking to her. She guessed it was because the carpet was out of place due to her actions. Why would she even care? It’s MY carpet now.

“This,” she stretched her back and gave a pointing finger to the box. “Is a box.”

“I can see that.”

“Now, inside the box are all the things that remind of you.” Jieqiong had a dumb grin plastered on her face as she said this.

Nayoung raises a brow, a sign that she’s actually listening. “And?”

“I’m,” Jieqiong thinks for a while, if what she’s about to say would hurt Nayoung. As if she hasn’t hurt her enough already, but this was for the best. “I’m burning it.”

Nayoung’s eyes widen for a bit, but go back to portraying a bored expression. It made Jieqiong feel like what she said was the dumbest thing ever. It probably was.

Nayoung walks towards her, the femme fatale coming out. Jieqiong wished her life wasn’t this complicated.

The tallest of the pair stopped by the box, pulling out a stuffed toy.

Nayoung frowns. “This is stupid.” Okay, ouch. “Your mom gave this to you. Why would you burn it?”

Jieqiong mustered all of her self-control not to smile or show any reaction at all. But the fact that Im Nayoung remembered how much the said item meant to her was heartwarming.

“That toy smells like you.” she dumbly protests.

“This entire apartment smells like me.” Nayoung reasons out.  “Keep this. It’s been with you for six years now, why stop?”

“Because…” she can feel her eyes starting to get watery. She fights it anyway and succeeds. “Because it takes 21 days to break a bad habit.”

As far as Nayoung and Jieqiong knew, this was day 01 of breaking each other’s not-so-bad habit.


BLONDE NAPINK OH MY GOD YES QUEENS