You don't understand...

What is left of us ?

BGM

Recording day

The members were supposed to join Junhyung at his studio. They were still working hard to record a japanese title song during their comeback. Yoseob was the first to arrive, as usual. He would wake up early, eat breakfast and go to work immediately.

Dongwoon on the opposite had to go to his favourite coffee shop to take out a mocha. Feeling more or less awake after that. Doojoon would always make fun of his sleepy bloated face when they had morning schedules. 

 

Junhyung was sitting was the couch when Yoseob arrived.

 

He was wearing sunglasses, a hat, a large shirt and black jeans. He was holding a notebook in his left hand and was drumming his fingers into the air with his right hand. Whereas Yoseob was wearing a cap, a pink sweater - which suited perfectly his broad shoulders – white jeans and Hi-Top sneakers.  

 

« Hey. » Yoseob first said. Junhyng too deep in thought to notice his friend’s presence, lift up his head to finally smile.

 

« You are already here ? What time is it ? » Junhyung answered in a little voice.

 

He seemed tired.

 

« It’s the exact time you told us to come over so eight and a half. » Yoseob teased his dazed member.

 

 « Oh I see. » Too tired to pick up on Yoseob’s teasing, he stood up and went to sit at his computer.

 

« I finished to compose and I’m almost over writing the lyrics. Tell me what you think, okay ? »

 

Yoseob made a sign of approval and sat down to listen.

 

As he listened to Junhyung’s work, Yoseob kept humming and nodding, apparently satisfied.

 

« It’s good, you did a good work. But isn’t the key too high at some moments. You aren’t planning on making me sing that, right ? »

 

Yoseob properly read through the producer’s mind as the latter put his hand in front of his mouth to release an embarrassed laugh.

 

« Yah ! » The little man didn’t get the time to complain as they heard loud laughs at the door.

 

« Kikwang and Dujun are here for sure. » Junhyung concluded glancing at the entrance.

 

Yoseob turned to the door to see his friend’s guess proved itself to be right.

 

Kikwang walked in all smiley, accompanied with Dujun.

 

« Hi ! So you managed to write us some good music last night ? » Kikwang said in loud voice, smiling, as he jumped on the couch.

 

Doojoon was wearing all black clothes from the cap to the simple yet expensive sneakers. On the other hand, Kikwang was wearing bright fashionable clothes with different items. He had curly brown hair, a flower patterned shirt and bright jeans with several silver necklaces and rings.

 

Junhyung nodded as an answer.

 

« Dongwoonie didn’t come yet ? » Dujun said, intrigued. « I thought he would already be here. »

 

The other members didn’t reply. Yoseob and Dujun quickly glanced at each other but did not say a word.

 

They did not really talk after their conversation on the balcony. They were good to move on as if nothing happened. Dujun wasn’t fond of that but he hates to talk about his feelings, fearing to be judged. And he knew too well his little friend did not like confrontation of any sort and would avoid it at all cost.

 

Talking about Dongwoon right after he came in seemed to bother Yoseob. He quickly turned at the computer and calmly ordered : « Show them the song. »

 

The four members were listening not saying much.

 

« Ya did you do it in one night ? Did you even get to sleep ? You look so tired. » Kikwang commented.

 

Junhyung giggled.              

 

« I barely slept. »

 

« Ohohoh look who is here. Almost on time. » Dongwoon came in without the members noticing.

 

It seemed like he was imitating Santa’s voice but he sounded more like an old man dying from sickness. He then took a sip of coffee almost coughing his lungs.

 

« You call twenty minutes late almost on time ? » Yoseob said a bit salty.

 

« I actually woke pretty early, there was too much traffic. » Proud of himself like always, he sat down straight and crossed his legs with a serious expression. Yoseob rolled his eyes.

 

Dujun grinned at his attitude which may seem cheeky in Yoseob’s eyes but not in Dujun’s. He found the maknae to be funny and cute.

 

He felt llike such a proud hyung everytime the maknae was joking around. Their relationship got better and better over the years. They were always bonding and having fun like childhood friends. Well it was more like an uncle and a nephew kind of relationship considering Dujun’s cheesy, old jokes.

 

« It’s too early for us to record anyways. I’ll just give you your part and send you the song so you can rehearse it at home, okay ? I have an appointement later with our japanese composer. He may change things though. »

 

« Can I stay? I want to rehearse here the quality will be much better. »

 

« Wow Yoseob-ah your throat is in a good condition at such an early hour ? » Kikwang exclamed.

 

« Yes, it’s okay. » Yoseob answered, with a serious as he made a knot with the little scarf on his neck.

 

« I’m okay with it. Anyone else want to stay ? »

 

Yoseob bit his lower lip, he glanced at Dujun out the corner of his eyes.

 

The leader felt burdened. He wanted to stay to hear Yoseob sing but he wanted to avoid an awkward silence.

 

Dujun looked at Dongwoon. The quick-witted maknae seemed to read his mind as he said : « Want to stay Dujun ? I’ll stay too. »

 

Dujun nodded with a relieved smile. He would at least feel comfortable with the maknae around.

 

Yoseob looked down on his lap, a bit disappointed but he didn’t say anything.

 

Junhyung left the room for some time to get a call, Kikwang following his lead leaving the three members alone.

 

Yoseob was turning his back on them trying hard not to think about the leader. He wanted to talk so badly but it’s like his words get lost on their way. His throat was sore. He took a sip and tried to look at the paper sheets.

 

« What do you want to eat for lunch hyung ? » Dongwoon said looking at Doojoon.

 

Yoseob turned to look at him, thinking Dongwoon was asking him. However he quickly changed his mind when he saw the two members looking at each other.

 

Doojoon noticed Yoseob’s gaze and answered, « Anything is good. What about you? »

 

Yoseob got surprised for a second, feeling suddenly noticed by the leader/receiving finally their attention.

 

« Fried chicken is fine for me. »

 

Dujun grinned, very satisfied with Yoseob’s choice.

 

He smiled back, shyly. They couldn’t help but think of the innombrable times they’ve eaten chicken and beer together. They both loved it so much. It sure has been a while he thought to himself.

 

« But we ate chicken yesterday. Shouldn’t we choose something else ? » The maknae complained, pouting lightly.

 

Yoseob and Dujun did not seem like they were about to change their mind, too focused to stare at each other. Yoseob changed his gaze first, getting shy.

 

« Okay whatever. » Dongwoon sighed feeling completely ignored. He took a sip of his coffee.

 

These two always had an unexplainable chemistry. Even if there were in a room full of people, they could swear they were alone as their all being was focused on one another. What a close relationship indeed. This is exactly what Dongwoon was thinking about at the moment. But he was not mad to be ignored. How could he ? He gets really moved every time he witnesses s’ close friendship especially between these two knuckleheads - who have been unable to share a moment for such a long time. Well…more like an eternity if you asked his opinion !

 

Dongwoon smiled lightly and pretended to have an urgent phone call to make before Dujun and Yoseob could try to stop him.

 

« Seriously, what kind of phone call is urgent this early ? Who do you think he is even calling ? » Dujun asked curious, not realizing he was left all alone with Yoseob.

 

Yoseob, on the other hand, was getting nervous. He slightly turned not to face Dujun and answered with a quiet voice, almost inaudible.

 

« Huh, I don’t know. Maybe, he lied just to come out for a few minutes. You never know what’s going on in his head, he always surprises me. »

 

« Not as much as you do. »

 

Those words came running out of Dujun’s mouth, like he coudn’t stop himself from saying them. He regretted speaking the moment he opened his mouth.

 

Yoseob kept quiet, he was surprised but tried not to show it. Dujun kept staring at him to see any kind of reaction. However, he was still turning his back on him. There were none except for his chair which kept moving from left to right, very lighty. His large shoulders were hiding his little face.

Dujun moved forward by a few inches to get a better view at him and saw Yoseob playing with a string on his jeans. He had his legs crossed and his head was lightly bent forward. He looked a kid who just got yelled at, so pure and innocent.

 

« What do you mean Dujun ? You think I am weird ? »

« No, not at all. That’s not what I meant. You know it’s not come on. »

« Well, I don’t know. I don’t think I know…anymore. »

« What do you mean anymore, what has changed ? »

« Everything. Everything changed this past year. And it’s still going to change in the future. Our career, our life…Us. »

 

Yoseob prononced this two letters, with such a broken voice Dujun thought he started crying. Us. Yoseob and Dujun. Dujun and Yoseob. It was very hard for Dujun to hear this. As he is the kind to pretend evrything is okay even when they are surrounded by chaos. That’s how he managed to be their leader for so many years. That’s how he always acted in his life.

 

But it was different for Yoseob. He can’t act and pretend it is okay when it is clearly not. Even if he hates to fight.

 

They had talked a few days earlier but since that day it was like they were avoiding each other. Yoseob was thankful for Dujun looking after him and understanding him even when he doesn’t say anything. But something didn’t feel right.

 

« Things are meant to change. But it’s not necessarily something bad you know. »

 

Yoseob turned to face Dujun as the latter began to talk.

 

« I know it’s hard right now, but I’m happy. I’m really happy to have you guys, to have a job I enjoy doing, having a family who supports me. » He continued.

 

Yoseob stared at him but remained quiet. He took a sip of his coffee and finally said.

 

« And I’m not. I wish we would do better and better. I know we work hard but I want to do much more. Forget what I said you wouldn’t understand anyway. »

 

« How so ? Oh right nobody can understand the forever struggling fairy Yang Yoseob, right ? »

 

Their voices started to get really loud, although they were getting angry they were fearing that the members might hear them.

 

« What are you even saying ? Are you hearing yourself ? Do you want me to talk about you perhaps ? You have no idea what it is to be the lead vocal, always worrying about my throat. The love of your fans and your family is enough for you ? Stop kidding me ! I Yes you are the simplest man I know. You look satisfied with what you have like you can’t get more. Sometimes I even wonder what you are doing with us. »

 

« Yoseob-ah, stop it I don’t want to get mad at you. It’s early, let’s stop here. »

 

« You think you can insult me and shush me when I get mad at your insults ? Hell no ! »

 

« I didn’t started it. I only said I don’t understand you sometimes, you are very mysterious in my eyes. How could say that I can’t understand what you are feeling and that I don’t have my place here. That’s very cruel of you, although I always knew you thought you were better than us. »

 

« Come on, I never said that. »

« You didn’t say what exactly ? You said more than necessary in my opinion. »

 

The boys were now standing and yelling at each other’s face. To the point they didn’t notice Junhyung coming in in a hurry.

 

« Guys, guys what’s going on ? » He asked concerned. They were too busy fighting to hear him or pay attention to him.

 

« GUYS ! » This time he yelled loud enough to be heard by the both of them, he even scare them a bit.

 

« Junhyung, why are yelling this loud ? You scared me man. » Dujun cursed.

 

« Oh really ? I scared you ? Come on man. We can hear you scream from the other side of the building. What the hell is going on ? »

 

They got ashamed of themselves now that they had to explain their behaviour.

 

« Are you both deaf ? »

 

Dujun put back his cap and picked up his jacket from the sofa, he stopped a second before heading out.

 

« Don’t mind us sorry. I’m not in my right mind. »

 

« Where are you going ? Wait, let’s talk it out first Dujun. » Junhyung said with a serious tone.

 

« I’m going for a walk, later. »

 

« Duju… » The maknae came in the room, surprised to see Dujun rushing out of the room, quickly getting out of his way afraid to be pushed by the latter.

 

He looked at the two others members, with his eyes full of worry and curiosity.

 

As Yoseob was the only one who remained in the room, they directed their curious looks towards him, waiting for an explanation.

 

Watching Dujun running away from their conversation made Yoseob angrier at first but then he felt like he was about to cry. Plus, the members were expecting an explanation and he had no idea what to say as he didn’t know himself what was going on between them.

 

He sighed very heavily, sat down and looked at them with round eyes.

 

« Listen guys, it’s nothing please don’t worry. We just disagreed on something, it’s no big deal. »

 

He reached for a sheet of paper trying hard not to show his hurt feelings and to get his mind back on work as soon as possible to forget what had just happened.

 

Junhyung was the kind of person who didn’t like drama or anything that looked like drama. He shook his head and sighed. He hoped deep down that the two of them would talk it out very soon. They had such a good energy as a group and he didn’t want it to change a bit. So he decided not to ask more questions. He looked at Yoseob and said, « Yoseob-ah. The producer can’t make it today so I’m heading home to get some rest. You can stay of course. Dongwoon you too. »

« I’ll try my best and see if the key isn’t too high. I’ll let you know then. »

« Okay it’s fine by me. But Yoseob-ah, if anything is up, you guys let me know. I don’t know what it is about but you both need to work it out. »

« Nothing will happen, don’t worry. Go home. »

« Hyung, I’ll go check on Dujun hyung if I can find him then I’ll come rehearse a bit. » 

« Kikwang left a while ago, Yoseob, you’ll be okay ? »

« Please stop I’m not a kid, go home I’m completely fine. Don’t worry, just go. »

« Okay, Dongwoon let’s go. »

 

Dongwoon looked at Yoseob still very worried and followed Junhyung who on the other hand seemed weirdly relaxed in such a situation.

 

As soon as the members left to room, Yoseob threw the sheet angrily on the table and put his head in his hands and cried silently. How could Dujun say this to his face ? How dare he say that ? Was he really like Dujun described - someone who thinks he is better than anybody else ? And where did Dujun go in such a state ? His face was red of anger when he left. Yoseob was a little worried even though he knew it was his fault. He was suddenly very sorry but he couldn’t get himself to call or text Dujun, too ashamed to do so. He did not know how he would react either.

 

They were fine for a second and suddenly they were not. Yoseob was now blaming himself while Dujun was doing the exact same thing.

 

 


 

Hey! I don't know if there are any Dooseob shippers out there but I'm finally down with my second chapter. I wrote it a long time ago but couldn't get myself to finish it. I began writing when the boys were still Beast but now they are Highlight and are all going to the army. I already miss Dujun, I don't know how I'll manage with Yoseob and the other members leaving too. Anyways, happy 2019 year! I hope the members stay healthy and happy. 

I don't know where all this is heading on because I kind of got lost in my storyline tbh. There aren't many Dooseob fanfics/moments now but I still wanted to write as I love them together. Enjoy!