First Kiss

First Kiss

 

L

What is it that you want to tell me?

Areum

I’m… I’m moving away…

L

What? When? Why?

Areum

I’m so sorry. I’m going to miss you.

 

Areum walks past L but he extends his arm and catches her wrist before hugging her.

L

(Whispering)

Please wait. Areum…

Areum

L…

 

L looks straight at Areum and closes the distance. He kisses her softly and then deepens the kiss.

L

We’ll make it work somehow.

 

“Kiss? There’s a kiss scene?”

“Ah yes. Is your first right? That’s good. It shows that you have matured as an actor.”

 

Myungsoo stares in disbelief at his agent, the script for his new part forgotten on his lap.

A lot of things run through Myungsoo’s head. He does like that his career is showing promise and this will be his most important part yet. He has mainly done CFs and really small parts in dramas but now he will have his own story line in a big movie. He is happy but is also worried, mainly because he hasn’t kissed anyone before. Call him old fashioned but he is a bit of a romantic and he wants his first kiss to be with someone he likes and wants to kiss. Not someone he has to kiss.

School time is almost over so instead he just heads to Sungyeol’s house. He met Sungyeol almost 14 years ago when they were just 4 years old. They worked together modelling or acting in CFs. Their friendship developed in the most natural way… fighting over banana milk and duck plushies.

Nowadays they don’t fight much. They rather hang out at each other places whenever they have free time. Being in the entertainment business don’t leave a lot of space for making friends outside the line of work. Sungyeol doesn’t act much anymore. He says he prefers modelling.

Myungsoo rings the bell and Sungyeol’s mom opens the door.

 

“Myungsoo, you are here early.”

“Yes, I was out of school today.”

“Well go ahead. Sungyeol should be home soon.”

 

Myungsoo makes his way up to his friend’s room and throws himself on the bed.  He has spent so many nights in this house that he already knows the code to the front door but he still rings the bell to be polite.

Sungyeol arrives half an hour later.

 

“So, what kind of role do you have now?”

“Young student falling in love for the first time.”

“Cool. Suits you.”

“Will you help me run my lines?”

“Sure, always.”

 

Sungyeol smiles at Myungsoo and his heart do a flip inside his chest. It’s silly - Myungsoo thinks – that he suddenly feels shy or flustered by his best friend’s simple actions.

It all started two years back and out of nowhere. There was no special moment, no heroic act in which Sungyeol saved him and became a knight in shinning armour. No, it was just Sungyeol. Just like any other day, but different.

It took Myungsoo by surprise so he has kept his crush secret for all these years. He thought it would get better and eventually disappear but it didn’t.

 

“How about you? Did you get the modelling campaign?”

“Yeah. But I need to start lifting weights and make some muscles. That way I might get more campaigns.”

 

Myungsoo tries to ignore the mental image forming in his head about his friend working out and then showing off his toned arms and chocolate abs. Yeah, not helping.

 

“Do you have the script?”

 

Sungyeol starts reading Myungsoo’s parts while the other just lays in the bed looking at him.

 

“Wait, your name is L? Like in Death Note?”

“I don’t think that’s what they are going for.”

“Oh well, I can see that happening.”

 

Sungyeol keeps reading, making the occasional comment until he reaches the same part that has Myungsoo worried.

 

“Kiss… You have a kiss scene?”

 

Myungsoo just nods.

 

“Wow, that’s something… new I guess.”

 

Myungsoo can’t read the expression on his friend’s face as the taller of the two finish reading the script.

 

“It’s good. It’s more mature and people will love you after it.”

“Yeah I think so too.”

“Do you have another copy? I’ll help you with the reading.”

 

Myungsoo takes out another script and they start practicing the lines. After a while Sungyeol ends up laying on the bed face down next to Myungsoo who is on the same position.

 

“What is it that you wanted to tell me?” Myungsoo says his lines.

“I’m… I’m moving away…” Sungyeol reads after.

“What? When? Why?”

“I’m so sorry. I’m going to miss you.”

 

Myungsoo thinks of how would he feel if Sungyeol were to say those lines in real life. How devastated he would feel to see him go, to let him go without saying anything. Not able to see him again. Like on reflex he puts his hand on Sungyeol’s wrist. Sungyeol turns his attention to the boy next to him.

 

“Please wait. Sungyeol…”

“Myungsoo…”

 

Myungsoo locks eyes with Sungyeol and closes the small distance between them meeting Sungyeol’s lips.  He kisses him lightly and then he puts more emphasis as to make his feelings known. It’s a bit sloppy but it meets its goal. When they part ways he expects to find Sungyeol angry or confused. Instead he finds his friend with his eyes closed and a bit breathless.

Sungyeol opens his eyes and blinks rapidly trying to get out from his haze.

 

“Ok. That was; that was good. You will do good in this role Myungsoo.”

 

Myungsoo can pretend he is just acting, he can laugh it off and keep reading his lines but he knows he would regret it forever. And the way Sungyeol reacted was unexpected and he sees hope where there was nothing. He doesn’t want Sungyeol to think he kissed him because he had to.

 

“Sungyeol…”

“Hum?”

 

Myungsoo kisses Sungyeol one more time with more fervour.

 

“Sungyeol.”

 

Myungsoo keeps on repeating Sungyeol’s name before each kiss, until Sungyeol is on his back and Myungsoo is on top of him kissing him non-stop.  Sungyeol is kissing him back with the same strength, answering each kiss with a kiss.

 

“Kids come and get your food!”

 

Sungyeol’s mom shouts from the kitchen startling them to the point that Sungyeol falls out of the bed.

 

“Shoot!”

 

Sungyeol stands up quickly and starts fixing his hair.

 

“How do I look?”

“Kissed.”

 

Myungsoo smiles at Sungyeol who is not pleased with the answer.

 

“You think she’ll notice?”

“Nah. Do you want me to get it?”

“No, your lip is sort of bleeding. Sorry.”

 

Myungsoo touches his lips. They feel swollen and there’s a bit of blood in his lower lip.

 

“It’s ok.”

“I’ll be right back.”

 

Myungsoo can hear Sungyeol’s steps as he runs down the stairs and a few minutes later he runs back up. He opens the door and smiles brightly at Myungsoo while he blushes lightly.

 

“Mom ordered Chinese.”

 

He puts down the food and sits back on the bed next to Myungsoo. They stay in silence for a while until Sungyeol speaks again, not meeting his best friend’s eyes.

 

“So, what was that?”

“That was me, giving my first kiss to you.”

 

Myungsoo can see as a small smile forms in Sungyeol’s mouth.

 

“Why?”

“Because for a while I have wanted my first kiss to be with you. Not with anyone else, not with a stranger from work.”

“It was my first kiss too.”

“I’m sorry if I took you by surprise. I like you. It’s been a while now since I have liked you as a man, not only as my friend.”

“Please, don’t ever apologize for that again. I… I like you too.”

 

Myungsoo starts laughing happily.

 

“Well aren’t I the luckiest guy on the planet right now.”

“Argh. Shut up. This is turning into a really bad drama. Come on let’s eat.”

 

Sungyeol stands and starts unpacking the food when he feels Myungsoo hugging him.

 

“I’m glad I have you. Now I have someone to practice that kiss scene over and over again.”

 

- End -

 

A/N: Thank you for reading! I've been wanting to write another Myungyeol and suddenly this story poped into my head. Also, credit to the original owner of the gifs. I found them on the Internet but it seems the site I took them from is not the original one. If you are the owner and wants me to credit you or delete them please let me know and I will.