Final

Into The New World

Another day, another fan signing event.

 

The questions that come with each eager fan range from trivial to semi importance, and the members are trained on how to be tactful when answering. Always tactful. They never know when their answer might go onto the Internet, become viral, give them bad press, anything. They can't risk their reputation for this. They know what happens when they give a questionable answer.

 

Every fan has a different question to ask, and Heehyun doesn't know about the other members, but she likes answering every one of them.


 

Heehyun chews on her bottom lip, the black marker pen in her hand effortlessly leaving a trail of ink on the fan's album page. She scribbles a short message below the signature, adding in a few smiley faces for good effect. It's just like any other fan signing event. Sign, answer question. Sign, answer question. This next question, however, makes her flow stumble slightly.

 

“Why did you choose Into The New World?”

 

Heehyun knows what the fan means. Into The New World. The fan is referring to the first group evaluation on Produce 101, where Heehyun made the unexpected choice of Into The New World by Girls’ Generation, instead of a song with a stronger concept like Fire. It's the first time she's received such a question before. And it's also a question she, unquestionably, knows the answer to.

 

A tender smile, perhaps unconsciously, touches her red tinted lips. Heehyun’s eyes drift away to the side, and the fan follows her gaze. Flawless, porcelain face. Long black hair. Innocence radiating from her pores. The new object of everyone's affections. Jung Chaeyeon.

 

“For her,” Heehyun says simply.

 

-

 

Transitioning from the idol phase back to their trainee phase had been quite a leap for Heehyun and Chaeyeon, with the latter being more unable to cope with the changes than the former. Even in DIA, Chaeyeon was quiet, shy and kind of awkward, and she was never the type to adapt to changes that easily. Heehyun cries just as easily, probably more, than Chaeyeon does, but she had always been stronger, or at least seemed stronger, because at least one person of the pair had to be strong. For both of them.

 

Produce 101

 

Heehyun tugs at the pale pink sleeve of her new sweater. It's a foreign colour that she's still not quite used to donning, and the huge red A on her name tag, stuck right onto her midriff, is even more disconcerting. Of course, she'd expected and hoped to be ranked A, but something feels uncomfortable about leaving the C class.

 

Maybe it's the privileges of being in the top class, or maybe it's the fact that she may drop at any moment. She isn't sure.

 

She still remembers their first day of filming. The one hundred and one chairs set up in a narrowing triangular pattern up to the number one throne on top, hearing the loud whispers of how pretty the MBK trainees are, then the louder whispers of recognition when the trainees there realised that, hey, two of them are in DIA.

 

Their Bad Girl Good Girl performance had been messy, admittedly, and Heehyun nearly shudders when she remembers the feeling of being put into the C class. Hearing that Chaeyeon was put into C and Dani into B made it a little more bearable, because at least one of them is with Chaeyeon. But the humiliation, the anger at herself for not doing well, made her want to do the best that she possibly can. She's already debuted before; she should do better than C class!

 

Rising to the leader of the C class, getting harsh scoldings, practicing day and night, and finally filming their first individual evaluation video - Heehyun bore the brunt of the responsibility and stress. Being the leader meant that she was in charge of the whole team’s performance. And a bad performance meant a scolding.

 

Then the day of their new rankings came, and Heehyun never knew that one letter could change so many things - the capital A stamped on her card. Fat tears landed on it soon after, when she saw the letter on Chaeyeon’s card. A bold, blatant C, and the younger girl had tackled her with a hug when she saw that Heehyun got into A. The whole of the C class had hugged her, and Heehyun had finally felt the feeling of elation and crushing disappointment at the same time. It was a foreign feeling.

 

A great number of cameras are panning around the room, filming the faces of the girls as Jang Geun Suk, the emcee of the show, enters the huge hall. Heehyun isn't one for enthusiastic greetings, but she gets caught up in the vibes every time and she claps and hoots along with the other girls, a smile pasted on her face. This will be the first filming where she's in her A class sweater, and it feels so weird to be in front of the rest.

 

Heehyun's already noticed the wall erected in the centre of the hall, covered by some fabric. She knows that their mission lies behind it. But she listens as the emcee explains about the group evaluation - with very exaggerated gasps of shock from everyone - and feels her heart race with a mix of panic and competitiveness. Heehyun wants to win. She wants to win.

 

“The A class girls will be choosing the songs that they want to perform. Of course, they'll be the leader of the group - the members of which will be their choice.”

 

And with that simple statement, the hall falls into a very exaggerated frenzy. Girls all around Heehyun are chatting up a storm, yelling across the rows to their friends, making pacts and alliances. She blocks everything out, opting to just stare straight ahead. She doesn't need alliances.

 

Geun Suk has the A class girls spread out in a line about twenty metres opposite the covered wall. Heehyun’s face is stoic but her legs are trembling, and she hopes no one can tell. She's hates running, because she's bad at it.

 

The emcee says something, Heehyun doesn't quite catch it, and then the fabric falls from the wall and the girls see their song choices for the first time. There's collective gasps and a lot of murmuring, and Heehyun zeroes right in on Fire by 2NE1, the song that she knows she'll do best in. The song she wants the most. She feels her fists clench. Her stomach feels like it's boiling with competitiveness. She wants it so bad she'll run at a million miles an hour to get to that sign.

 

If I perform Fire and show that I'm a good rapper and that I fit fierce concepts, people will appreciate me for doing well. I just need a good group with me.

 

She tears her eyes away from the Fire sign and looks at the rest of the signs on the wall. Push Push. Break It. Irony. Into The New World-

 

Abruptly, the competitive fire inside of her dies, as though doused by a bucket of water. Perhaps the change from girly hip hop to innocent made her remember. Her eyes find their way, frantically, up the rows of girls still standing by their ranks. She finds the row of girls clad in blue, finds who she's looking for standing somewhere, she doesn't really know where anymore, because all she can see is her.

 

Chaeyeon is staring at the wall, her beautiful face ashen and her fists clenched. The large, pink capital C on her name tag seems to be like a hot branding iron on Heehyun's skin. Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon is still in C. Chaeyeon, who can't choose her own song, because the A class will be choosing from the rest of the girls. Chaeyeon, who only has Dani and Heehyun from MBK as her close friends. Chaeyeon, who, if not chosen by Heehyun, will probably be in a group with people she isn't close with. Chaeyeon, who is shy and cries and doesn't adapt well. Chaeyeon, who needs her to be strong for both of them.

 

Heehyun's hands unclench. The Fire sign calls to her, but now the cogs in her brain are turning, she knows there's no going back anymore.

 

Jang Geun Suk tells them to get ready to run and grab the sign of the song they want. Heehyun bends her knees, the muscles in her legs tensing. She doesn't have to look to know that Chaeyeon is watching her. Closely. He blows his whistle and Heehyun pushes off, running as fast as she can.

 

She only has one sign in mind. She reaches the wall and grabs the sign quickly, exhilaration at having acquired it making her limbs pump faster, pushing her forward and back to her place. She reaches without issue and slots the Into The New World sign into its designated holder.

 

She sees others sprinting back. Sees Park Soyeon returning with the Fire sign in her hands, and the exuberance in her expression makes Heehyun's mouth taste like ashes. But it doesn't matter. She glances up. Chaeyeon is staring at her, obviously puzzled at her song choice. Heehyun looks away.

 

It doesn't matter. She's doing it for her.

 

Once all the A class girls have their songs sorted out, it's time to choose their members. The allies are all shooting each other looks and covert winks, but Heehyun doesn't need any allies. No. This is a competition, and it's mere professionalism for them to choose people who will benefit the team. She glances around quickly, pieces of her ideal team clicking together as she chances upon people she wants with her.

 

The emcee says they can start choosing. The leaders, starting from the first song, say one name each, mostly calling friends.

 

“JYP’s Jeon Somi.” She calls that name first, taking a gamble. She knows that the addition of Somi, with her spunky and bubbly personality, stage presence, and popularity, would make her group valuable.

 

So she prays. When that name isn't called yet, Heehyun breathes out quietly before she raises the mic to her lips.

 

“MBK’s Jung Chaeyeon,” she says, her eyes finding Chaeyeon’s across the room. She sees the confusion in her eyes, and Heehyun only gives her a tiny nod as the girl descends the steps to stand beside Somi. Heehyun senses that the youngest, Somi, is unhappy because she wanted to be with Park Soyeon, but in the name of professionalism Heehyun hopes that Somi will be able to accept their group and work with them.

 

She calls out Heo Chanmi and Jung Eunwoo next, completing the dream team. Already, other girls are noticing her group - a good rapper, good vocals, overall good visuals. She hears what they say about her team later on. They're calling her team the Avengers team, and Heehyun isn't sure what to think of it.

 

Chaeyeon drags her away from the rest during their break. The younger girl still adopts a look of confusion, but also that adorable naivety that makes Heehyun sure that she's done the right thing.

 

“Why did you choose Into The New World instead of a song with lots of rap?” Chaeyeon demands, her brows furrowing adorably. “Why did you choose me? I'm no good addition to your team at all! I'll just be a burden to this team. Eunwoo and Chanmi can sing, Somi is an all rounder, you can rap - why did you choose me?”

 

Heehyun gazes at Chaeyeon for a moment. The younger girl’s eyes shine with unshed tears.

 

“You're not a burden, Chaeyeon,” Heehyun says quietly, showing a softness that the other girls would think is uncharacteristic of her. She can't very well say that she chose the song because of Chaeyeon. Not now. “You're not a burden. Please don't call yourself that. Every member of this team is important.”

 

Needless to say, Chaeyeon is still unsure of her place in the team.

 

After they regroup to continue filming, they discuss their position distribution as a team in the hall, other teams scattered around in corners listening to their songs.

 

“Who's going to be the center, boss?” Eunwoo asks, scratching her chin with the cap of her pen. All eyes are on Heehyun, who in turn just looks down at the paper with their positions on it. Chanmi is scratched into the box under main vocal, and Eunwoo under sub vocal. She thinks, then speaks.

 

“Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon will be the center.”

 

She senses their surprise, sees Chaeyeon’s own surprised expression. The girl looks terrified of being made the center of the group, especially since she's nowhere near the popularity of the others, being a lower ranked member. Heehyun wants to reach out and comfort her, but she holds back. Heehyun knows that Chaeyeon will make an excellent center, if only they utilise everything well.



 

Heehyun's sacrifice paid off in the end, which is something she knows the moment they rewatch their live performance. The mistakes didn't matter. She'd been holding her breath till the end, because Chaeyeon didn't get much screen time until the end.

 

The ending pose that Chaeyeon has, with her hair just placed in perfect angles and her expression innocent and beautiful, makes Heehyun's heart swell with pride. There's the beautiful, shy Jung Chaeyeon that's been hiding behind the other members in DIA, shining bright in front.

 

She looks breathtaking, so much so that the members all gasp and complain that she's too pretty and that it's not fair. And in all the chaos, Heehyun meets Chaeyeon’s eyes beside her, feels Chaeyeon touch her hand. Chaeyeon smiles at her softly in thanks, and Heehyun decides that giving up Fire was one of the best decisions she's ever made.



 

Heehyun had been right about how Chaeyeon would shine in their performance. What she didn't expect is for Chaeyeon’s individual eye-contact video to go viral, and for the younger girl's popularity and rank to shoot up at an alarming rate.

 

And the hate. Oh, the hate. The wave of hate for Heehyun had crushed her, but she never let Chaeyeon see her cry over it. No. She did not cry, not even when she saw how much people mocked her, because of the two of them, she was the strong one. Or at least she still hoped.

 

Then came the position evaluation. They went their separate ways, Heehyun choosing Rhythm Ta in the rap category and Chaeyeon choosing Full Moon in the dance category. Heehyun worries; Chaeyeon is in a group with people she isn't that close to, and moreover one of them is her visual rival, Pinky. But she finds out that she doesn't have a cause for worry. The members get along fairly well.

 

She watches their practice the night before the performance. Chaeyeon, who's never really showcased any of her dancing ability in DIA, steals her attention entirely. Or maybe Heehyun only wants to focus on her. Either way, Chaeyeon’s improved so much in such a short time, and Heehyun is happy for her.

 

On the day of the performances, Heehyun monitors Chaeyeon’s dance from backstage. A huge smile finds her lips when she sees the younger girl’s performance - even though she isn't the one in white, isn't even the center, she's the center of everything for Heehyun. Chaeyeon looks absolutely beautiful in her dress, her expressions controlled and just right. Just enough mature and y, just enough playful. Heehyun wonders where she ever got that from.

 

The dance ends, and the camera zooms in to Chaeyeon, and Heehyun's smile grows bigger. The younger girl's ending pose is another one worthy of gasps and captures, and Heehyun is so, so glad that Chaeyeon is finally getting to show what she's really capable of.

 

Heehyun waits for Chaeyeon outside the room where they'll view the number of votes they received. Ten minutes pass before the three from the Full Moon team emerge, all crying except Chaeyeon, who's teary-eyed but none of the tears have fallen yet.

 

“Hey,” Heehyun says, giving Chaeyeon a smile. Chaeyeon tries for a smile, and Heehyun immediately knows that something’s wrong. She turns apologetically to Pinky and Sohye, steering Chaeyeon away to a more quiet corner where they can talk.

 

“I got third place,” Chaeyeon says quietly, tears finally spilling from the corners of her eyes. She dabs at them with her palm, careful not to smudge her makeup.

 

“Third?” Heehyun can't hide her surprise; she was sure that Chaeyeon would get at least second place.

 

“Third. I feel bad for crying about being last place in my team. It's bad sportsmanship. But - third place…” Chaeyeon sounds so miserable that it makes Heehyun's heart break slightly. The older girl wraps her arms around Chaeyeon and pulls her closer comfortingly, feels Chaeyeon rest her hands on her waist.

 

“Hey, it's okay to feel sad about being third. I know.” Heehyun leans back, smiles, wipes a tear from Chaeyeon’s face. Heehyun suddenly remembers the days when they weren't close -  back in DIA, Chaeyeon had always been closer to Yebin, but the days they spend together now for Produce 101 has made their bond stronger. “You're always the first to me. Remember that.”

 

Chaeyeon gives her a watery smile, nods, and looks down again, her hands still on the waistband of Heehyun's striped pants. Heehyun pats her head soothingly.

 

It doesn't matter, Heehyun hopes. It doesn't matter that Chaeyeon was third place for Full Moon. She gets the feeling that Chaeyeon will do well. Seeing as how their Into The New World stage had made her so much more well known among Produce 101 fans, she prays that this performance would boost Chaeyeon up even more.



 

Someone up there must have been listening to Heehyun's prayers, because Chaeyeon’s popularity grew so immense that her position in the top fifteen was basically untouchable. The Heehyun hate had died down slightly, and her votes had been coming in steadily too. Just enough to stay in the top fifteen. She doesn't need much. She just wants Chaeyeon to be happy.



 

The girls shoot a lot of clips to be slotted within episodes, between evaluation prep and performances. Heehyun doesn't exactly know what the staff are going to ask her, but she heard from Im Nayoung that they'll ask something about the members? She isn't sure. So when she walks into a room with five walls covered in cardboard circles with the other Produce 101 trainees on them, she's puzzled.

 

“Pick who you think is the prettiest Produce 101 member. We'll be ranking the trainees from eleven to one,” says one of the female producers, and Heehyun immediately thinks of one person, and one person only.

 

“Am I on the ranking right now?” Heehyun asks teasingly.

 

“Yeah, you are, actually. A couple of people voted for you. Watch the clip when it broadcasts. Now go grab a picture, come back and explain why you chose her.” The producer shoos her away to choose from the other hundred trainees. Heehyun stands with her back to the camera and scans the rows of circular pictures.

 

She takes a few steps forward when she finds its, detaching the circle from the wall without hesitation. A small smile touches her lips. A fond smile. Before she turns back to the less pleasing row of cameramen and blinking cameras, walking back with the picture in her hands.

 

“My choice for Produce 101’s Visual Center is MBK’s Jung Chaeyeon,” Heehyun says, the fond smile not quite leaving her face. Garbed in the grey and pink school attire the trainees wear on the show to receive their rankings, Chaeyeon looks like the young, naive girl she was at the start of the Produce 101 filming, and Heehyun reminisces. “I don't think this needs an explanation. Chaeyeon is beautiful, and that goes without question.”




 

The girls are sitting in the theatre room to watch…something. Heehyun isn't too sure what exactly, until Jang Geun Suk appears onscreen and all the girls let loose deafening screams and cheers. Heehyun focuses on the video.

 

“These producers will be gifting you new songs for your last group evaluation.”

 

More screams. Heehyun winces slightly on her seat. It's not like she isn't excited about getting to perform a completely new, original song, but the screaming is really making her ears hurt.

 

The video plays the five original pieces in quick succession, and Heehyun finds herself settling on joining the group for Fingertips, whoever might be in there. As the rappers in the rap category dwindle, Heehyun stands and moves to leave the room. She glances. Sees Chaeyeon sitting with the others from the dance category, talking animatedly to Yoojung.

 

Heehyun feels a smile tug at her lips. Gone is the awkward, shy Chaeyeon from the start of the filming - replaced by a new, more talkative, more easy-going Chaeyeon. She knows that all the MBK girls have steel, and that Chaeyeon is finally learning to use hers.

 

I'll see you later, Chaeyeon.

 

She gets the feeling that neither Chaeyeon nor Dani will be joining Fingertips. The song isn't really their type of song. Maybe In The Same Place would be a safe option for Chaeyeon; Heehyun knows the younger girl tends to shine with more elegant concepts. She still clings to the vain hope that she'd see the door opening, see Chaeyeon poke her head in. She gets the feeling it won't happen, though.

 

And she's right. When the producer announces that all the trainees have chosen and there is no Chaeyeon or Dani in the Fingertips room, Heehyun can't help but feel a little disappointed. But she gets over it quickly.

 

Practice sessions consume all her time in the week. It makes her uneasy that a number of the people training at this moment would be ousted before the actual group performance. Heehyun knows she isn't the most popular member on the show, but she hopes. Even thirty-fifth is enough. Even if Chaeyeon doesn't need her to be strong for both of them anymore.

 

She's surprised when she sees Chaeyeon practicing in the Yum Yum team with Dani, and marvels when she sees how many popular members are in there - Somi, Yoojung, and of course Chaeyeon herself. And Heehyun worries.

 

The worry dies down slightly when she's safely placed within the top twenty in the next ranking, though the announcement of several popular members’ low rankings shake the girls for a while.

 

Practice goes on. Heehyun hardly sees Chaeyeon and Dani now except for when they return to the dorm to sleep, because the Fingertips and Yum Yum teams don't practise together. Heehyun tosses and turns at night.

 

The day of the group performance arrives with a lot of anxiety. Heehyun, of course, doesn't show any emotion other than a strong front, because she doesn't need to break down now. It doesn't matter how well or how badly her team does - she's proud of Fingertips and her team, and that's all that matters.




 

In The Same Place won. That alone is cause for Heehyun to worry more - the thousands of extra votes that team would be receiving might push her all the way to the back end of the spectrum. She just hopes that Chaeyeon is popular enough to get more votes and stay within the top fifteen, because she knows Chaeyeon is different now. She knows Chaeyeon wants to win too.

 

So she thanks every god there is when the rankings are revealed and she's still in the top twenty two. Not a very high position, but high enough. Sitting on her chair on the now very empty-feeling triangle, Heehyun sees her fellow MBK girls still sitting and waiting, and her stomach turns over. Her cheeks are already stained with tears of relief. She doesn't want it to be stained with other kinds of tears.

 

Then Chaeyeon’s name is announced alongside a hefty number of votes, and Heehyun can see that the younger girl is crying as she walks up to deliver her speech. And a stone drops in her stomach, because she's sure that Dani won't be in at this rate.

 

It's one of the times Heehyun wishes she were wrong. Dani’s eliminated, though it's borderline.

 

“I thought you'd get in,” Chaeyeon says miserably, as the three MBK girls huddled together during the break. Heehyun's crying silently still, because she cries easily, and she simply can't help it. Dani just gives them a  watery smile, and Heehyun admires her steel.

 

“Hey. I'll just go back to MBK and train even harder. At least one of you must get into the top eleven on my behalf, okay?” Dani says, and with that, the three MBK girls on Produce 101 decreases to two.



 

Heehyun checks YouTube for Produce 101 videos, and is impressed by the number of fan made videos uploaded on the site. She checks a number of trainees’ individual eye contact videos, and watching Chaeyeon’s for Into The New World brings her so much nostalgia. It's the performance that rocket launched Chaeyeon from a simple C class DIA girl to one of Produce 101’s most beautiful and well-known trainees.

 

“Hi, fam,” Chungha says sleepily as she plods into the dorm room, completely bare faced.

 

“Hi. Sleeping soon?”

 

“Guerrilla concert tomorrow. Then live performances soon.” Chungha grimaces. “Won't get any sleep for a while. Might as well get some while I can. G’night.”

 

Chungha crashes onto someone's - the top twenty two have all gotten so close over the months that they really don't care about these kind of things - bed and passes out immediately. Chaeyeon enters soon after, just as bare faced, her hot pink dip-dyed hair flowing loosely around her shoulders. Her bunk is right across from Heehyun's.

 

“Yoojung, Somi and Park Soyeon are playing their stupid mafia game again,” Chaeyeon grumbles in her soft voice, climbing the ladder to her bunk. Heehyun puts her phone down, plucking an earbud from her ear. Chaeyeon pulls her blanket over her lap, looks down. “Weird to see them without Dani. The dorm feels empty.”

 

Heehyun scoots closer, until she's close enough to put her hand over Chaeyeon’s.

 

“It'll be over soon. A few more weeks before final evaluation,” She says, comforting. It's something familiar. Comforting Chaeyeon.

 

“I know. Want to sleep. If they get too noisy tell them to shut up.” Chaeyeon mumbles, flashing Heehyun a smile before lying down on her bunk. Heehyun can sense the fondness in Chaeyeon’s tone, knows she isn't actually that annoyed, because they've all grown to love each other, the remaining trainees.

 

It's what holds them together when they perform at the Guerilla concert the next day, all the teams except In The Same Place with only half their full force. Fingertips feels weird without Yeseul singing the chorus, without Eunwoo in the bridge, without Shin’s cute voice. They comfort each other when they feel sad about the eliminated trainees.

 

Then comes the final live performance. The final live voting, with only one vote per person. The one hundred and one trainees perform Pick Me together one last time, and Heehyun tears up slightly. The still remaining trainees perform Crush and When The Cherry Blossoms Fade live. It's a feeling of melancholy, what Heehyun has at the moment. Jang Geun Suk is onstage riling the audience up, while everyone waits for the votes to be tabulated.

 

The rankings come, starting from number ten. Heehyun chews on her bottom lip. The tension of the trainees around her is so thick she's sure nothing could break it.

 

Im Nayoung. Mina. Doyeon. Then-

 

“At number seven, with 215338 votes, is MBK’s Jung Chaeyeon!”

 

The trainees all cheer and pile onto Chaeyeon, with Heehyun right at the front, hugging her the tightest. The screams are deafening, but Heehyun's smile is so wide that it looks like it hurts, and tears are streaming fast down her face. Chaeyeon clings to her just as tightly, her face buried in Heehyun's shoulder, hand covering her reddened eyes.

 

“You did it, Chaeyeon.” Heehyun says loudly, so that the younger girl can hear her over the racket. Chaeyeon’s tears are staining her jacket - she can feel the warmth seeping through the thin white shirt she's wearing underneath - but she couldn't care less.

 

“Thanks. For everything.” Chaeyeon says, and Heehyun smiles. Sacrificing her chance at a rap song at the start of the show, she decides, was completely worth it.

 

“Go,” Heehyun murmurs into Chaeyeon’s ear, steering her towards the stage where she'll stand and speak. Heehyun wipes the tears from her face with the heel of her palm, her smile never wavering. She's so, so proud of Chaeyeon.

 

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that Heehyun isn't in the top eleven; she's nineteenth. When the entirety of what was to be I.O.I was formed, they take a bow, before descending the stage.

 

Chaeyeon finds Heehyun first thing. Heehyun is attacked with a shy hug, and she wraps her arms around Chaeyeon. “You're in, Chaeyeon, you're in!”

 

“You're not,” Chaeyeon says, and Heehyun can see that she's crying. Beautiful, sweet Chaeyeon, Heehyun realises, does still need her to be strong for both of them at this point.

 

“I'm still in DIA with you. I'll be there in the MBK practice room dancing my off, and I intend to see you there too. Sometime. Okay?”

 

Heehyun pulls back to look at Chaeyeon, once again vulnerable and in need of her protection. Chaeyeon nods, once. Then Yoojung comes hurtling down the corridor and tags her on the shoulder, screeching in delight as she runs away, followed by a hooting Doyeon.

 

Heehyun smiles. “You're in a new group for now. We've debuted before. You got this, Chae. Now go kick some Fantagio .”

 

“Yessir!” Chaeyeon smiles back, wiping her tears hurriedly, before turning and running after Yoojung and Doyeon. It's only then that Heehyun returns to the waiting room and cries in quiet, because she knows that even though strong people do cry, she doesn't have to in front of Chaeyeon.

 

And with that, the three MBK girls decrease to one.




 

Returning to MBK without Chaeyeon is strange.  

 

All the other members of DIA pounce on her the moment she returns, showering her with the affections she'd dearly missed while on Produce 101. But practising again with DIA, with only six of their seven members, feels weird.

 

Heehyun doesn't cry as much anymore, because she's lost enough tears through Produce 101. The show hardened her - not externally, but internally. Brutal practice sessions don't tire her out as much as they do the other members. Her stability has improved significantly. Her tears come a lot less often, and when they do, see makes sure she's always alone. Then their MBK staff drops the bomb - they'll be having a comeback. In June. With all the members.

 

Practice turns from old songs to the new song, On The Road. Heehyun and Yebin write and compose their own pieces in their free time, working in the practice room and recording studio with pencils and paper. They make mistakes, muddle their positions up while dancing, and Heehyun just never feels like they're complete without Chaeyeon.

 

Dream Girls is released soon after Heehyun's return to DIA. The entire group sits in front of the TV in their dorm and streams the video, screaming and yelling appropriately whenever Chaeyeon appears onscreen.

 

She watches videos of I.O.I at night before going to bed, the long hours of practice not preventing her from seeing what fruits her sacrifices have borne. Watching Chaeyeon performing Dream Girls with the rest of the I.O.I  members makes her feel so damn proud.

 

She's seen how Chaeyeon changed over the course of a few months. From the shy, quiet member of DIA who doesn't like standing out and who was placed in C class at the start of Produce 101, unable to rise any higher, she'd gotten huge popularity boosts from Into The New World and Full Moon, enough to propel her into the top eleven. It's a curious thought. The fact that Heehyun's one choice could alter the course of Chaeyeon’s path in Produce 101 entirely. That the source of Chaeyeon’s newfound fame - is her.

 

She's still glad that she decided against choosing Fire for the first group performance. Despite how much hate she got, she's happy that Into The New World helped make Chaeyeon who she is now.

 

Chaeyeon doesn't need her to be strong for the both of them anymore. She's found her own strength, her own independence, her own path. And Heehyun is just happy that Chaeyeon has found her own road at last.



 

The entire of I.O.I had come to MBK to send Chaeyeon off. Heehyun waits in the lobby for them with the rest of the DIA members, a wide smile on her face as Sejeong and Yoojung come in on either side of Chaeyeon like an entourage.

 

“Hello!” The I.O.I members yell across the lobby, a very hyper Chungha running forward to tackle Heehyun. Heehyun laughs, patting Chungha’s brown hair.

 

“Presenting to you, Jung Chaeyeon!” Yoojung booms, shunting Chaeyeon forward by pushing her in the small of her back. The DIA members converge on her, and Chaeyeon is surrounded by a swarm of familiar faces, her radiant smile just the same as ever.

 

“Ki Heehyun! How have you been?” Sejeong asks, slinging an arm around Heehyun's neck and yanking her away from Chungha, choking her slightly. Heehyun slaps her arm.

 

“‘Been great. Be greater if you stop suffocating me.” Heehyun says.

 

“Ah-” Sejeong loosens her hold slightly, smiling a -eating grin. “Whoops. Sorry.”

 

The DIA members have pulled back, all babbling excitedly. Heehyun glances. Meets Chaeyeon’s eyes. The younger girl breaks away from the circle and walks towards her, looking just as breathtaking as ever, and Heehyun smiles wider.

 

“Hi,” Chaeyeon says.

 

“Hi,” Heehyun says, as Chaeyeon steps forward and hugs her loosely, and Heehyun smells her familiar floral perfume again. Her lips are close to Chaeyeon’s ear, covered by dark brown hair. Her breath stirs a few strands. “Welcome back.”

 

She feels Chaeyeon’s hands press more firmly against her sides, before she leans back again. “Thanks.” It's just one simple word, but the way Chaeyeon’s eyes shine, the way her lips tilt upwards at the sides as she says it, makes Heehyun's heart flutter.

 

“Our manager's calling us. We have to get to our next schedule.” Nayoung says, breaking the moment abruptly.

 

“Take care of our Chaeyeon, guys!” Sejeong and Somi yell, as the I.O.I members re-gather from the DIA members they're mingling with. Sejeong gives Somi a headlock as she wrestles the younger girl down, the two arguing about who loves Chaeyeon more. “Take care of Chaeyeon, Ki Heehyun, because if you don't I'm gonna find you and skin you alive. I love her!” Sejeong yells, dragging Somi away.

 

And Heehyun glances at Chaeyeon, their arms linked, and smiles. She speaks, so softly that no one will hear her in the chaos. “Me too.”

 

-

 

Present

 

The question brings back such a wave of nostalgia that Heehyun has to shake her head slightly to stop remembering about Produce 101 and everything that happened with it. It's too much for her to think about now.

 

“For Chaeyeon?” The fan asks, puzzled.

 

Heehyun snaps back. She glances at Chaeyeon again, sees the girl glancing back at her, her expression naive and confused. And Heehyun smiles, because that's the naivety and innocence that made the older girl love her so much. It's still there, she's still the old Jung Chaeyeon, but also the new Jung Chaeyeon, and Heehyun likes this much better.

 

She bites down on her lower lip, looking away. She doesn't know how her answer would affect her fans, with her lack of elaboration. Just a simple, straight answer. She doesn't know how controversial or how important it is. And she decides it doesn't matter.

 

Maybe all they have to know is that I chose Into The New World.

 

She glances at Chaeyeon again, discreetly, and she smiles.

 

For her.






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

6k words. Not too bad. Catchae is my new ship, they make me feel things. Sorry Chaebin shippers. I quite like this one shot I wrote, not gonna lie. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Please don't kill me some dia fans are savage af LOL  

Chapter image taken from Tumblr. It's not mine.


~ Fluffy