for the win

gotta catch 'em all

 

 
 
 
wow i can’t believe i pulled an sm and dropped force of habit to promote a different fic --
 
 
 

 
 
 
“If I see one more Rattata I swear I’m going to throw my phone into the road."
 
A mother with her stroller walks by right as Wendy curses at the device in her hand, earning a judgemental look from the woman and a mutter of “Teenagers these days…” as she passes.
 
“Don’t do that, you’ll break your phone," is all Seulgi says, patting her back sympathetically as the shorter girl lets out a sigh over her temporarily dashed image of a good-natured model student. So much for being the local community’s favourite youth.
 
“How am I supposed to get as many Pokémon as you?" Wendy speaks up again as she huffs at the array of Zubats and Pidgeys and Rattatas that plague her phone screen. She trails after Seulgi with lacklustre enthusiasm anyway because they’re friends, now that the bubbly girl has successfully wormed her way into Wendy’s life with her annoyingly sparkly smile and admittedly cute charm.
 
Friends do things like go Pokémon hunting together after school, and they’re on friendly terms since Seulgi is friendly and Wendy is also friendly, so of course she can be friendly with Seulgi in a completely friendly, friends kind of way.
 
Just as friends, of course.
 
Completely friendly.
 
…Yep.
 
The self-proclaimed Pokémon Master shrugs in front of her, oblivious to the mental chaos that is her class president’s brain as of that moment. "You could go out adventuring a lot, I guess."
 
Her fellow budding Pokémon Trainer manages to scoff as she pulls herself together. "You mean break into private property a lot?"
 
"Only when you need to," Seulgi chirps, turning to her with a winsome smile as she stops at the corner of the road. “There's a gym down here, by the way. Are you at the right level for choosing a team yet?"
 
Wendy looks down at her phone pointedly; swears the afterimage behind her eyes is from the sun and not the blindingly bright girl in front of her. "Yeah, way past it,” she affirms, double-checking her character level with fumbling hands.
 
“Great!" Seulgi bounces up to her and takes her by the elbow, ushering her down the street with a lively skip in her step. "Come on then, let's go!"
 
Wendy groans (too cute too cute too cute —) but lets her lead the way to the gym, nodding absently as she's briefed on each team's general description as they walk. She hears the words 'Instinct' and 'Mystic' and 'Valor' and some kind of worldwide rivalry, but she mostly sees Seulgi's eyes glimmer as she speaks and that's pretty much all she registers.
 
"— and that's why you should join Team Mystic!"
 
She snaps back to reality a minute later to tear her eyes away from the girl's mouth, and okay, okay, she's smiling at me again so keep calm and smile back — not too wide, oh my God —
 
“Oh, here we are, Wan-ah!"
 
"Don't call me that," she utters for the sake of normalcy as Seulgi loops an arm through her elbow, seemingly undeterred by her half-hearted mumble as she pulls up the gym display on her phone and shows it to her.
 
"Now just open yours and it should let you choose," she explains, waiting patiently for Wendy to do so as she gently leads her towards a bench on the corner of the sidewalk.
 
Except there's a familiar-looking middle school student standing there as well, resting her back against the wall with her phone in hand while tapping and muttering furiously at the screen. Wendy sees her and stops in her tracks, her expression dropping and dread filling her being at the sight of a bold emerald green backpack, slouching on the bench beside the girl.
 
To her horror and surprise, her friend reacts with the complete opposite response, grinning and tugging Wendy with her as she waves enthusiastically at the shorter one's satanic incarnate of a neighbour. “Sooyoung-ah!"
 
It succeeds in getting her to look up from her phone, recognition flitting across her bored stare before she's cocking an eyebrow at them as they approach. Wendy doesn't bother trying to ask how on Earth they know each other; not if this is Kang Seulgi, the epitome of a social butterfly.
 
“Well, well, well," the younger teen smirks as she lowers her device. "If it isn’t Miss Son Windy and Kang Sluggi of Team Mystic."
 
The petite brunette rolls her eyes at the same old jab that Sooyoung always uses, and Seulgi only gives a quiet giggle. “You're here to take the gym from my team?” she asks nonchalantly, but Wendy spots a twinkle of something like determination in her eyes.
 
"Yep," Sooyoung smirks, looking around just as another girl bounds into view from around the corner. “And I have my trusty partner with me."
 
Wendy almost drops her phone at the sight of the lively newcomer, who's currently busy waving at a retreating figure across the road.
 
She would recognise those pigtails anywhere.
 
“…Yerimie?"
 
Her younger cousin whips around at her voice, bright grin freezing in place before falling as she points at her.
 
You!"
 
Wendy clicks her tongue, immediately donning her signature 'responsible unnie' frown. “Hey, aren’t you supposed to be in cram school?"
 
The younger girl her hips, arms akimbo as she smiles innocently at the older brunette. “Aren’t you supposed to be in your flute lesson?"
 
Wendy blanches. “I — T-That —"
 
“You’re supposed to be in a flute lesson?"
 
She turns to face Seulgi as the taller girl blinks at her in confusion, tilting her head to the side in a way that's too cute to be legal.
 
God damn it.
 
“Well —“ she starts, before deciding to just take the girl's arm in an attempt to lead her back the way they came with a nervous laugh. “You know what, let’s just go to another gym!"
 
“No way!" Sooyoung persists, leaping in front of them with a fierce look in her eyes. "I made eye contact with you, so now we have to battle!"
 
“This isn’t a Pokémon game!" Wendy splutters, and her companion makes an indecisive noise beside her.
 
“Well actually, this is kind of…”
 
Seulgi."
 
She shuts with a cheeky smile and a chuckled apology at her plea, and Wendy softens her gaze before heaving a sigh.
 
"Fine," she acquiesces, after a long moment of contemplation. "I accept your challenge."
 
Sooyoung glances at Seulgi before grinning widely at the shorter teen. “Of course you do.”
 
Wendy frowns, but before she can ask what she means Yerim chimes in with a, “Winner pays for ice cream at Heenim’s Parlour!"
 
A dark look is instantly shot at her demon relative, only to be rebutted by a tongue stuck out childishly her way as Yerim crosses her arms and smirks at her expectantly.
 
I can’t believe I’m doing this.
 
“You’re on," she finds herself saying, feeling a strange burst of competitiveness flaring up at the stakes and the troublesome duo involved. Until —
 
"Wait.”
 
She looks down at her phone, grimacing at the screen displaying her colourless profile as a reminder of her current status.
 
"You haven't even joined a team yet?" Sooyoung chortles, exchanging a mischievous look with her younger partner in-crime. "This is gonna be too easy."
 
"Challenge me, then.” Seulgi abruptly steps forward to stand partially in front of her, almost protective in a way that totally does not make Wendy’s heart beat faster at all, no way — "Wan-ah can choose her team, and I can battle you guys in the meantime."
 
Somehow all of this seems way too corny to be true as Sooyoung sneers back at her, before eventually giving in with a roll of her eyes. "Fine by me," she mutters with reluctance, before lighting up with a confident smirk. "Oh yeah, you don't have your Articuno anymore, do you?"
 
Seulgi instantly bristles. "Olaf is still here in spirit!" she protests indignantly, only to deflate a moment later with a mournful sigh. "Even if the Pokémon Company did take him away for being a glitch…"
 
Wendy turns to her at the mention of a familiar name. "Wait, you named it after my cat?"
 
Seulgi blinks at her. "No, I named it after Olaf."
 
"Who cares who you named it after, I wanna battle!"
 
"Okay, okay!" Seulgi raises her hands defensively, and Wendy shakes her head at a fuming Sooyoung.
 
"Sheesh. Kids."
 
"I know, right?"
 
It's Yerim's turn to snap at them now. "Hey, we’re standing right here!"
 
“Unfortunately,” Wendy mumbles, exchanging another smile with Seulgi before snickering at the annoyed duo in front of them.
 
"Just battle us already so we can crush you and get it over with,” Sooyoung grunts, scowling at them over her phone as Yerim sidles up to her.
 
"Okie dokie," Seulgi chirrups, tapping on the red-accented gym and preparing her team. "Are you ready?"
 
"Pfft," Sooyoung flips her hair over her shoulder as she walks over to observe the Mystic trainer's screen. "Am I?"
 
Seulgi frowns. "…Are you?"
 
"Of course I am now can you just get on with it?"
 
Wendy tries and fails to hide her laughter behind her hand, and her friend keeps smiling all the while as she taps and holds down her finger and swipes away, ignoring the disgruntled comments from the younger girls watching the battle either side of her. It all lasts for about two minutes at most, which might just be a teeny tiny bit impressive to see for someone as unfamiliar as she is to all of this.
 
"Oh, you chose Team Mystic then?" Seulgi hums a few minutes later as she peeks at Wendy’s phone, oblivious to the fiery duo arguing about whose Pokémon lost them the fight. "You know, when I was trying to market it to you I didn't expect it to work."
 
"Blanche's speech worked better, actually,” Wendy teases back as she watches the gym go from red to white to blue. “The colour scheme was the most appealing to me too, I guess."
 
An appraising look is cast her way as Seulgi finishes setting up. “You do suit blue very well, Wan-ah."
 
"Are you two done giving me cavities?” Sooyoung cuts in then. "I think the turtle wants to get her game on."
 
"Well, now I have a newly joined Mystic trainer with me to win another battle,” her teddy-bear of a companion announces proudly as she pats Wendy on the back. "Hwaiting, Wan-ah!"
 
"Bask in your victory while you can," Sooyoung proclaims, turning to her now. “For you may have won the battle…but not the war."
 
Yerim steps forward with her phone at the ready then, her determined expression looking out of place on her baby-faced features as she addresses her cousin. “Now I’m gonna win the war, because losing is a no-no!"
 
“It’s not all about the winning, Yerimie,” Wendy coos back tauntingly, and she succeeds in garnering a frustrated “I grew out of that name last year!” followed by a muttered “Concentrate, concentrate,” that sounds uncannily like the annual symphony of summer insects in the park.
 
Wendy expects a long struggle, but it's over pretty quickly for her as well. Between Yerim's frantic cries for help and Sooyoung's raucous backseat driving, she manages to faint each of her younger cousin’s Pokémon with frantic taps and calls of encouragement from the overexcited teen (read: overgrown child) beside her. Then Seulgi congratulates her win with a bear hug and a sweet, “I knew you could do it!” afterwards, and yeah — she is all about this winning thing.
 
The victory is especially worth the dirty look Yerim shoots her as she vows to avenge her fallen party, blaming her loss on ‘faulty internet’ and the fact that her older opponent’s Pokémon somehow had a higher CP than all of her Pokémon combined. Wendy just rebutts her protests by explaining her 4G data plan and the miles of jogging routes she takes every morning, and it succeeds in riling up the twelve-year old enough to send her into a silent temper. She only seems to come out of it once they all finally make their way to the prized ice cream parlour a few blocks away, and it’s then that Wendy regrets having ever stayed to battle at all.
 
"Ah, the sweet taste of victory…" Sooyoung mumbles into her ice cream, and Wendy raises an eyebrow at her from across the small round table.
 
"You lost to Seulgi," she reminds the younger girl, who wags a finger at her in response.
 
“But you ended up having to buy ice cream for everyone anyway, so who's the real winner here?”
 
The teen winces at the reminder, and Seulgi mouths a third “Sorry,” to her as Yerim sings to herself about everyone sans Wendy being broke but happy.
 
"Open up a Lure Module for us, then,” she suggests thoughtfully, earning a flummoxed look from her neighbourhood pain-in-the-backside, who squints suspiciously at her.
 
“…Come again?”
 
"Use a Lure Module at the Pokéstop here,” Wendy repeats coolly, waiting for Sooyoung to shrug nonchalantly before continuing. “But! You’re not allowed to catch any of the Pokémon. Got it?"
 
"Oh, that's just cruel, unnie.” Yerim shakes her head scornfully at her, before cackling darkly to herself a second later. "I love it!"
 
Sooyoung growls. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be on my side? You lost too!"
 
"She's right, that is pretty cruel of you…” Seulgi muses, and Wendy finds herself biting her lip with the hesitation that begins welling in her gut, until the taller girl bumps their shoulders together lightly and beams at her with a glint of mirth in her eyes. “I’m all for it."
 
(And, you know, it’s perfectly normal to want to kiss her or something at that point. But Wendy doesn’t do that because she has a strict, junior class president image to uphold. Among other things.)
 
Okay…when you’re finished with couple-bonding over my punishment, I’d like to get it over and done with already."
 
Sooyoung is a welcome interruption in the choppy sea of Wendy’s thoughts, and so she welcomes it with a amiable smile and a pleasant, “Of course, Sooyoung,” before patiently waiting for her to carry out her forfeit. There's no small amount of smug satisfaction in her grin minutes later as she catches Pokémon that pop up every which way, with Seulgi’s soft cries of triumph and Yerim’s boisterous whooping further deepening the dip in Sooyoung's brow.
 
Sweet, sweet revenge, Wendy thinks, as thirty minutes whiles away. For all those times she tried performing rituals on my bike tyres every other morning before school.
 
Sooyoung forgets to eat her ice cream while she busies herself with staring holes into her phone, and Wendy almost, almost feels bad. Then Yerim points out the growing ice-cream stain on her friend's sleeve, and Sooyoung nearly shrieks the place down as she flails and knocks the tissue dispenser into Wendy’s gut.
 
"Ew, really?” the teenager exclaims, as her victim waves off Seulgi’s frantic concern with reassurances that her stomach is indeed still intact.
 
"That's what you get for not paying attention to your ice cream,” the youngest sing-songs, narrowly dodging a fist to her arm as she scrambles to join Wendy on the other side of the table. Sooyoung makes a ‘watching you’ motion before stalking off towards the bathrooms to clean her top, and ironically enough, it's after Satan leaves the table that everything starts dissolving into chaos.
 
Sometime after Yerim decides to steal half of Wendy's portion via straw missile assault, Seulgi ends up having to procure napkins to wipe a very flustered class president's face. Said class president's cousin also manages to sabotage that too, and after an overdramatic stumbling on her way back to her seat, both the older girls wind up returning to their ice cream awkwardly; the memory of a very near miss with their lips providing ample entertainment for mini Satan.
 
Sooyoung returns to the table mere minutes later with a disgruntled frown as she pockets her phone, twisting into confusion at the sight of the two high school students sitting so stiffly next to each other. It's all explained in the single mischievous smile that Yerim sends her.
 
“Magikarp's been compromised,” the teen announces then with a responding grin as she approaches the table. “Apparently my mom caught him sneaking into our backyard trying to catch a Snorlax."
 
"Now that sounds familiar…" Wendy mumbles at her ice cream cone as Seulgi looks up, eyebrows furrowing at the name as her yoghurt-flavoured scoop pauses on its way to .
 
“Magikarp…?"
 
“Yook Sungjae-oppa,” Yerim informs them through a mouth of strawberry-flavoured goodness. “He does pretty good Magikarp impressions,” she adds, begrudgingly.
 
The previous tension seemingly forgotten, Wendy shares a look with her classmate before shrugging. Middle-schoolers. Really. “Well okay, then."
 
“Eh, whatever. I got what I wanted,” Sooyoung snickers, waving her cone of vanilla in Wendy’s face before standing and addressing her partner. “Guess it's time to save Magikarp now. Pipsqueak, are you coming?"
 
Yerim nods, jumping up to her side with a grin. “Duh," she drawls. "These unnies are just gonna continue to be awkwardly gross together."
 
Wendy scoffs. “Kim Yerim —" she begins, only for her younger cousin to point at her with a warning look.
 
“I’ll tell your mom you skipped flute!"
 
“I’ll tell your mom you skipped cram school!"
 
Seulgi’s hand rests on Wendy’s shoulder then, and she finds herself bewildered at how she automatically settles back with the warm touch. “Guys…” the eldest of them says in an attempt to get them to quieten down, and when even her demonic cousin stops, Wendy honestly starts questioning whether this girl beside her has some sort of calming superpower. “Yerim-sshi, do you want my flake?"
 
The twelve year-old instantly lights up at the offer. “Is that even a question?” She reaches for the chocolate in a flash, popping it into with a triumphant smile before nodding as she chews.
 
“Hmn," she mumbles after swallowing the mouthful in three seconds flat. "I’ve decided that I like your girlfriend, Dedenne-unnie."
 
Yerim —"
 
Sooyoung interrupts before she can stutter out a scolding, tapping her foot impatiently at the entrance of the ice cream parlour. “Dwarf turtle, come on!"
 
Yerim rolls her eyes at her friend and grabs her phone as she hurries to stand. “Alright!” She rolls her eyes but turns to smile at Seulgi with a wave goodbye. “Have fun on your ice cream date, Pikachu-unnie!” Then, at her older cousin: “Also, if you ever break up or something then give her and her chocolate flakes to me!"
 
Wendy blushes, but manages to sigh exasperatedly at the narrowed gaze that the girl gives her.
 
"You're twelve."
 
"So?"
 
"…Whatever, squirt."
 
“Smell you later, losers!" Sooyoung calls from the entrance, and Yerim sprints after her cohort with an aggravated yell as the two teenagers watch them go, wincing at how their fellow customers shoot them dirty looks afterwards.
 
The awkward air from earlier settles between them as quickly as it had dissipated, and Wendy resorts to watching her ice cream melt to pass the time. Seulgi seems only a little less tense than she is, but even then the quiet is heavy and near suffocating, and the shorter brunette decides to fill it with something to alleviate the atmosphere.
 
"So you know Sooyoung?” she finally asks, looking up and trying not to stare at the way Seulgi her lips between mouthfuls of ice cream.
 
The other girl nods and fans herself slightly with the collar of her shirt, which has somehow had the top button undone within the past fifteen minutes. Wendy almost drops her cone.
 
"She fell off her bike in front of my house a year ago, so mom and I helped patch her up.” A light laugh bubbles from Seulgi's lips at the memory, and Wendy can't help but smile in return. "Since then she's been coming around whenever she wants to have free snacks. Mom loves her."
 
A snort, and a slow nod. "What a weird demon kid…"
 
“You can say that again," the taller one agrees with an eyesmile shot her way, and Wendy fumbles to avert her gaze elsewhere.
 
It happens to fall back on the entrance of the parlour where the late afternoon light is blending into evening, and just like that Wendy's reminded of her father’s strict words about being home before dark.
 
Crap.
 
"My parents are expecting me home soon," she blurts, checking her watch. Oh man; more like half an hour ago.
 
"From your flute lesson?" Seulgi jests, laughing when she's shot a flat look in return. "Here, I'll walk you back."
 
"It's alright, you don't have to."
 
"But I want to."
 
"But —" Wendy hesitates at the casual firmness in her tone, almost contrasting against how naïve and gentle Seulgi normally sounds when she speaks. "Okay."
 
She insists on clearing the mess they made on the table to lighten the staff workload a little, and leaves a tip from their leftover change before bidding goodbye to the owner as they pass his counter.
 
“I hope you have fun on the rest of your date!" Heechul — well, Heenim — calls jovially as he waves them off, and Wendy's pretty sure she sees him give her a thumbs up and a mimed 'hwaiting!' but she pretends not to.
 
"Thank you!" she hears herself reply anyway, before proceeding to suffer through a series of alarms blaring in her head that yell abort, abort, abort! until they reach the crossroads between their separate neighbourhoods.
 
It's been five blocks of walking in complete silence, and Wendy hesitates to break it just like she hesitates to break every other unspoken rule in existence.
 
…Some of which she has already broken, so what's another one to add to the pile?
 
“This wasn't a date,” is what she shatters the dreamlike feelings with, eyes trained on the pavement as she fights to control the flush of her cheeks.
 
Seulgi freezes mid-stride behind her, and it's as Wendy turns to face the girl that she spots a smudge of ice cream still on her lips. “I…didn’t say it was…?"
 
"I-I know, but —“ Wendy huffs and curses herself for even getting riled up by harmless words of other people, and somehow it transfers into getting agitated over that single speck of cream on her companion's face. The taller girl blinks at her blankly as she promptly reaches up and wipes off the remnants of cookie dough flavoured dessert swiftly, heaving a short sigh of frustration as she does. "Just — ugh. Nevermind."
 
“…Does it bother you?"
 
"Bother me?“ Wendy looks at her properly as surprise colours her gaze, and it's only then that she realises her hand hasn’t moved from its place on Seulgi’s cheek. “No, of course not,” she answers quickly — too quickly — and withdraws her arm in a flash, almost dropping her phone in the process.
 
Seulgi gives her an unreadable look; and it’s not exactly intimidating, but she’s used to seeing the girl smile 98% of the time, not borderline frowning like this. The last crimson rays of dusk seeping past the skyline only serve to emphasise her expression; almost like a painting.
 
“I—I mean —" Wendy stammers to a stop and ends up staring at the ground as she listens to her brain rattling for an appropriate reply, only to fizzle out when her classmate takes a breath beside her.
 
“It doesn’t bother me," Seulgi murmurs. Then, more quietly: “…Did you not want it to be a date?"
 
"No!" she rushes, stepping back before rushing forward at the hurt look that instantly flashes across Seulgi's face. "I mean yes, I —" am a total mess, oh my God —
 
Somehow the girl before her can see the sheer struggle of her even functioning at this point, and a small smile lifts the taller girl's lips into something that looks a lot like hope. "If you want it to be, then it can be?" she asks simply, and Wendy halts.
 
It's simple. Seulgi makes it all so simple with just a few words and a small smile, and suddenly it all becomes a little clearer.
 
Wendy finds herself thinking back to a week ago, when she was waking up this endearing dummy breaking into her parent's property for a computer generated beast. She remembers how they were barely a month before, when Seulgi was the only person who grated on her nerves simply by being there. Simply by being her easygoing, overly friendly classmate.
 
Of course she annoyed Wendy. She kept trying to talk to her in class instead of focusing, not to mention holding the whole lesson up with incessant (but, admittedly; interesting) questions. Wendy just didn't understand her, and didn't start trying until they got stuck in detention together.
 
Apparently, she just needed that little push.
 
It's that easy.
 
Wendy exhales.
 
"Well I already paid for ice cream for the both of us, I suppose,” she says eventually, and the weight crushing her shoulders lifts in an instant with the sunshine smile that beams her way. It makes her smile back automatically; easy and effortless and devoid of that awkward restraint she's been keeping around herself.
 
"It is," Seulgi agrees softly, poking her arm playfully. "I promise I'll pay next time, then. For a proper date."
 
The blush of her cheeks is almost welcomed now, because she knows who the cause of it is and the cause has just proposed a 'next time’. Another date.
 
A proper date.
 
"Deal," she replies, trying to swallow back the giddy grin on her lips but failing hopelessly. She knows she's making a weird expression even before Seulgi bursts out laughing, and it has her giggling too because everything feels light and easy and Seulgi looks way too pretty when she laughs.
 
“A-Actually…Can I walk you to your door?” The other girl asks suddenly, breathless and beaming and pushing out a stray lock of hair from her face. She misses a few strands and Wendy brushes them back instead, and this is how dates usually end.
 
Generally with kisses too, but —
 
It feels a little fast, truthfully. Like trying to run across a tightrope in hopes of getting to the other side faster.
 
Her classmate (friend, date, girlfriend?) smiles a little uncertainly, and Wendy lets her hand drop back to her side.
 
Slowly does it, Son Seungwan. Slowly.
 
"Sure." She nods, takes a deep breath, and holds her bag tightly at her side. "Yes. Yeah."
 
Seulgi starts walking backwards in that strangely deft way of hers, hands clasped behind her back as she regards her class president carefully.
 
"What do you want to do next time, then?" she quizzes as Wendy starts walking after her.
 
"Next time…" She contemplates the appeal of going out with Seulgi without the interruption of two evil middle schoolers, and quickly comes to the conclusion that she'd probably enjoy just sitting around and watching paint dry together. "Maybe we can go to the arcade, or something? We can eat at a cafe afterwards."
 
It's more Seulgi's thing, because everyone in school knows how much of a gamer the girl is, and Wendy's not sure playing an augmented reality app counts as being a gamer too, but whatever.
 
“The arcade?” The slightly older teen stops in her tracks, the beginnings of excitement growing on her lips.
 
Wendy shrugs. “Yeah, why not?” she grins back, taking out her house keys as they approach the front gate of her house. She opens it and hesitates, turns to her companion once more with a nervous press of her lips. “I’ll… see you tomorrow, then?"
 
Seulgi stands a little ways away, scuffing her trainers almost bashfully on the concrete. “See you tomorrow."
 
Wendy waves, but just as she goes to unlock the door she sees something in the taller girl’s features, flooding her face with an expression that's startlingly similar to when she practically jumped off the Son's backyard wall to ask Wendy out.
 
(And wow, she totally was asking Wendy out then. Go figure.)
 
It’s a lot less ambiguous this time around when there’s a soft warmth pressing lightly on Wendy’s cheek; barely there, but there nonetheless. Seulgi pulls back with an anxious bite of her lips, but she chuckles when she takes a proper look at the shorter brunette, crimson-cheeked and stammering her name hopelessly.
 
“That’s for being cute," she grins, attempting a wink and failing, but making Wendy's heart stutter all the same. “Can't wait for homeroom in the morning, class prez."
 
"S-Sure,” Wendy manages to wheeze, and the evening climate must be really hot because her face is seriously burning up now, thank you global warming. "You too. I-I mean — walk home safe. And stuff."
 
One last giggle and a blinding eyesmile is sent her way before Seulgi runs off back home, leaving the shorter brunette standing in the doorway in all her tomato-impersonating chaos. She swears she hears a familiar victorious yell before the door shuts behind her, and she laughs to herself because of course; of course she's found herself crushing on a complete dork.
 
It’s totally worth the reprimanding from her parents about her tardiness, because her father trusts her not to do it again and her mother fusses more over the state of her uniform anyway. It’s when Mrs Son stops and asks her daughter about the faint pink mark on her left cheek that the girl starts panicking, because of course Seulgi wears lipgloss or something, oh God —
 
“At least it’s not on her uniform, dear,” is all her father says, giving her a strangely mischievous look from behind his wife’s back before gently leading the woman away and back to the kitchen with proclamations of “Trying out a new herbal brew from the market."
 
Wendy spends about a minute reconsidering her life choices and the possibility of her dad knowing, but her phone buzzes and Seulgi’s name is on her screen with the start of a sweet message, and nothing else really matters. She’s just been on something like a date, and as chaotic as it may have been with the pair of dual devils joining them, it was good. Just hanging out with Seulgi felt good. Certainly better than the few outings she's had with guys.
 
Lying in her bed that night, Seungwan would consider the date pretty perfect in its own unconventional way. She's received a kiss on the cheek and multiple eyesmiles of sunshine, from one lanky teddy bear of a girl. Not to mention she's managed to catch at least five other Pokémon that weren’t Zubats, Rattatas, or Pidgeys. Plus there's the obvious matter of Kang Seulgi and her stupidly cute self asking her out on a second date.
 
All in all, letting Seulgi break into her garden just for a game has turned out better than she could have imagined. So really, thank God for Pokémon Go.
 
 
 

 
 
 
All hail Joysus Park Sootoogoodforthisworldyoung, who ploughs on even when she's suffering. Bow down, mortals.
 
(And in case any of you wondered, I got the inspiration for this whole thing from my friend; who actually did try and climb into her neighbour's back garden to catch a Snorlax. But alas, it ran away before she could.)