The One Where She Has A Boyfriend

Friend Zoned

When Gray first got the text from you that you were inviting him to meet your boyfriend at dinner, he gritted his teeth. He was sitting in a meeting with the rest of the AOMG team, discussing their upcoming tour. He seethed, and obviously didn’t pay much attention after that.

You’d first told him about this jackass- ok you didn’t think he was a jackass, but Gray sure felt that way and no he wasn’t going to tell you that- it was a month ago. You’d just gotten done with your group’s comeback promotions and immediately following that, you’d have a much deserved break. This guy was an office worked. A ing paper pusher. Honestly. What was he doing with you? Okay… Maybe he wasn’t just a paper pusher. Maybe he was starting on the bottom rungs of the chaebol group his family headed just to learn the company ropes but whatever, spat Gray internally. Who gave a if his family owned half of Korea? Who the cared if his family just came into significant stake in SM Entertainment and you met him at a charity ball? Like honestly who cared?

These were all the things Gray told himself to silence that voice in his head berating him when he examined himself in the mirror in the morning. Maybe this other guy was tall… okay like really tall. But whatever. You didn’t really care about that since you were short anyways. Everyone was taller than you. In fact, the other guy’s massive height might be a problem for you if he were to kiss-

Gray ground his teeth together and adjusted his tie. Everything was too stuffy.

Sounds good. He hit send.

Dammit. Why did he always do this to himself? Right. Because he was a loser. A ing loser for you.

 

You and your boyfriend were already sitting down on cushions in the ramen restaurant when Gray walked in to greet you guys. Well me, thought Gray. He’s down to earth, too. Joining the mortals in a bbq restaurant.  

Your face lit up when you saw him and Gray mustered a smile while you waved him over. You were wearing a low baseball cap and a frumpy hoodie with sweatpants but that was just you. You also didn’t want to draw unwanted attention from fans and paparazzi alike so you three were situated at a corner station. “Sunghwa!” You beckoned.

Her boyfriend introduced himself like a ing perfect gentleman, and Gray pretended to genuinely smile through the meal. When he glanced down and saw him holding your hand, he took another shot of soju. And another. And maybe one more.

When you wrapped your arm around your boyfriends shoulder and laughed into his arm, Gray took another shot.

When he made a lettuce wrap and fed you, Gray watched from the other side of the table. And took another shot.

You split up after the dinner, Gray and you, and your boyfriend headed back towards his apartment. You and Gray lived a five minute walk from each other and you retained your very bro relationship while walking back side by side.

“So! What’d you think of him?” You beamed. Wow. You were beaming. You never beamed for Gray. Not that he was jealous or anything.

Internally Gray rolled his eyes. “He’s perfect. Really great.”

You detected the sarcasm in his voice and the sting in his delivery. “What’s wrong?”

Gray plastered a smile on his face, hiding his contempt with a chuckle. “Nothing! He’s really great. Have fun with him. You deserve this.” Did he actually mean any of these words? If you would come to him, of course. But for another guy? Not a chance.

You playfully shoved him, not pushing the topic any further.

Later that night, Gray texted Kiseok.

How was it?

Gray wanted to wipe that teasing smirk of Kiseok’s face through the screen. He knew he was smirking. Kiseok loved to taunt him for his uncharacteristic chump-like behavior around you.

Great. Just great. He’s great. They’re great. Everything’s great.

Gray could practically feel Kiseok’s stupid giggle through his phone.

Come on, man. He can’t be that bad.

Gray sighed. Stopping to reassess, he put down how he really felt.

He’s amazing. If any guy was worth her time I think it’d be him.

Kiseok glanced down at his phone, intending to go on mixing the track he’d been working on, but something about Gray’s wording made him pause the program and pick up his phone. “Well damn,” He grimaced.

Do you really mean that? He typed.

Gray stared at his screen. He wanted to kick something. Throw something. Throw his phone. Anything. But the devastation inside him couldn’t manifest itself physically. Even if he hit something, it wouldn’t leave him.

… yeah.

Gray set his phone on his bedside table and sank into the sheets.

“Well me.”