Chapter 3

Under Cover of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun was going to kill Taeyong. He took a deep breath, pulling his bag over his shoulder and making his way across the campus to the student housing. Chanyeol had sent a location ping to his phone to help him find the apartment. He’d gone straight to his morning class as Taeyong suggested, letting Chanyeol arrange for his things to be moved to the apartment throughout the morning. He’d promised it’d be one less headache.

It was close enough, he figured, that he could easily walk from classes to the cafe and to his apartment without much effort. No buses or methods of transport would be necessary. At least Taeyong had given him that much.

Almost as though he sensed his name being cursed, the letters TY lit up on Sehun’s phone screen.

“Well, they say speak of the devil.” Sehun answered the call, not pausing from his walk.

“Am I the devil? That’s cute. Though I thought the phrase is meant to summon.” Taeyong’s voice lacked inflection, but Sehun didn’t doubt he was amused nonetheless.

 

“For all I know, you could be lurking somewhere out here.” Sehun shrugged to himself, “How was your first day of school?” Now Sehun was certain Taeyong was amused. He rolled his eyes.

“I’ll kick your when I see you again.” Sehun replied, stopping when he reached a green door and checking his pockets for the keycode. “It’s a house? I thought it was supposed to be a student apartment complex?”

Taeyong snorted, “Kick my for what? Finding you the best temporary living arrangement? You’re welcome.” There was a brief pause, “Wait, did you just see it?” Another pause, “Your shift ended almost an hour ago.”

 

Sehun pushed in the numbers that had been written neatly on the parchment and the door beeped, allowing him entrance. He switched the phone to his other ear as he leaned down to pull his shoes off before stepping into the house. It wasn’t huge, Sehun figured it was a split level with at most three rooms. The kitchen was in front of him, though a wall offered some privacy. He continued speaking while slowly taking in his surroundings.

 

“Well, it’s certainly better than I expected.” The kitchen lights were off, but up the stairs to the left of it was lit, so Sehun walked forward slowly. “The manager at the coffee shop is a bit obsessed with coffee, you know. He had me sniff and taste at least six different varieties. I’m unsure of whether or not I’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

 

At the top of the stairs, there was a living area, a blue couch and other seats around a white coffee table, further to the back wall another seating area surrounded a rather large television. The wall on Sehun’s right opened to overlook the kitchen and eating area. To Sehun’s left there were two closed doors that he assumed were bedrooms, and then closer to the back there were another two doors.

 

On the couch, a girl was lying with her face buried in a book.

 

“My coworker also doesn’t speak much. He’s constantly walking about with a broom and barely said two words to me the whole shift.” Sehun continued, leaning on the wall. His voice had dropped, trying not to bother the others.

“Sicheng? I love him. He’s a foreign exchange Sehun, and he doesn’t know you. You’re the extrovert. You talk to him first. He’s actually quite friendly and adorable if I may say so.” Sehun didn’t speak for a minute.

Youngjae poked his head out from the door closest to Sehun. “Wait. Sehun?” He waved aggressively, and the girl on the couch lowered the book to inspect who Youngjae was addressing.

 

“You know what, you’re right. It’s day one. I should give things more time. I’ll also talk to… what was it? Sicheng? I’ll talk to Sicheng as well. When I get into the ritual of it all, I’ll call you back.” He hung up before Taeyong could continue and tucked his phone back into his pocket.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter