Chapter 2

Under Cover of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun tugged his well worn backpack over one shoulder as he nudged his way through the precinct door, making his way directly to the conference room to begin his briefing with the OC unit. Their work primarily dealt with organisations and gangs, but for such a wide range of missing students and the staged suicide, they believed they were dealing with a group. And a skilled one.

 

"...but if it were a gang, obviously we'd have found bodies by now. Most likely partial, gruesome, and unwelcome, but they'd be out there." The voice carried as Sehun pushed through the conference door.

 

There were three people seated at the oval table. The one who had been speaking was closest, sitting on Sehun's side of the table, while the other two rose and offered Sehun their hands for shaking. Leaning to reach from over the table, Sehun gripped his elbow with his free hand as he shook the hand of the OC agents.

 

"Detective Oh, please sit." The lead detective motioned to the free seat beside the man who'd been speaking when he walked in. "I'm sure you already know detective Jung Soojung-" he turned his head to the woman beside him, "and detective Leechai-" The lead detective was cut off by the detective he was introducing.

 

"Call me Ten."

 

Sehun hadn't formally met any of the officers prior to walking through the door, but their reputations for successful operations had preceded them. The lead detective, and the one who'd introduced the others to Sehun was Detective Lee Taeyong, known particularly for his cold demeanour and calculating expressions - neither of which Sehun was seeing at the moment. "Pleased to meet you."

 

Taeyong sat and pushed a stack of books with a Manila folder on top towards Sehun. He opened the folder, but only glanced at the headings while he waited for the lead detective to begin.

 

"We've already set you up with a full schedule at MYU. You'll be taking a variety of courses, but when putting together your schedule we focused on the courses the missing students were in. Most were high honour students, and since several were criminology and sociology majors, that's your cover. Aside from becoming close to students within each class, you also have to find information on in-school organisations."

 

Taeyong took a breath, but Soojung picked up where he left off. "CSU's evidence and the homicide unit seem to point to these crimes being group work. What better than clubs, sports teams, and fraternities-"

 

"Or sororities!" Ten cut in.

 

"-to create group bonds strong enough to commit crimes together?" Soojung cut a glance at Ten, who only smiled back at her.

 

"We don't expect you to join any of them, but if you can create an in or get close we could use any information."

 

Sehun turned to Ten, who was beside him. "If you suspect sororities equally, are you sending in a female agent as well?"

 

Ten shook his head. "For the sake of equality, we suspect them equally, as evidence is inconclusive of gender... But no, we haven't decided on sending in a female agent... yet."

 

Taeyong intertwined his fingers, propping his chin on them as he listened to the others speak.

 

"We have to find whoever is doing this. Whoever has kidnapped these students. Whoever staged that suicide. It's priority one at our unit. We'd rather catch the suspect before the missing students become dead students."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter