CHAPTER 6 - “I promise.”

Midnight

            Soon summer was gone and autumn rolled along again. Baekhyun and Hana were back to square one. Just like before they met each other. The leaves on the trees were turning a shade of orange before they gracefully land on the ground.

            Baekhyun cried for days and nights. He was very heartbroken but once he saw Hana smiling the next day even though it was a slight smile, it warmed his heart. It was the same routine every day. Baekhyun would go to school, avoid Hana, head back home and study.

            Baekhyun’s Mum knocked on his room door before entering. She peeked into the room and saw that Baekhyun was sleeping. She slowly sat on his bead before she brushed her son’s bangs away from his eyes. “Baekhyun?” she called softly.

            Baekhyun groaned before he opened his eyes. He smiled softly and took his mother’s hand in his, “Yeah Mum?” His Mum sighed before saying, “Hana’s Mum called.” Baekhyun stiffened at that name. He didn’t want anything to do with her. He didn’t want to hurt her. The fear of hurting her was still there and it hurts him too.

            “What about it?” Baekhyun asked softly as he stared at his blanket, tracing the striped pattern on it.  “Hana’s moving to Australia.” His mother replied. “Why?” he asked as his breath hitched in his throat. “Hana herself decided to. She said she wanted to move on. Besides, her best friend moved to Australia a few years back.” Baekhyun gulped, he didn’t even know Hana had a best friend in Australia. What a boy friend he was.

            “It’s okay Mum. I think it’s better if it’s this way. She’ll be sad if she’s with me. I still love her. I really do. But I don’t want to drag her down with me. It’s too selfish. She was my air. She was the person who brought me back into the light. She gave me a chance to love. I really can’t. I can’t do this to her, Mum. I can’t.” Baekhyun said, his voice shaking as tears streamed down his face.

            Baekhyun’s mother smiled before she said “I know you still love her, son. I’m sure you’ll do a good job at protecting her.” She wiped the tears from her son’s eyes before she pulled him off his bed and pushed him towards the door. “Go. Go get your princess.”

            Baekhyun smiled softly before he left the house. “Thanks Mum.” He said.

            Hana was nowhere in a better condition than Baekhyun. She asked herself why didn’t she hold back onto him? Why didn’t she tell him to stay? Why didn’t she tell him that she needed him by his side? Why didn’t she let him explain. These questions were stuck in her head. She needed a break. She was getting depressed. She was losing herself.

            She picked up her cell phone before dialing an all too familiar number. The other person on the line picked up the phone almost immediately, “HANA!!” Hana chuckled before replying, “Hi Semi.” “What’s wrong with you Hana banana? Why are you so down?” Semi replied.

            “I miss you.” Hana sobbed into her phone. “I miss you too but I know that there’s something not right.” Semi replied. Hana then heaved a sigh before telling her the story and what she’s facing now. “What a jerk that bacon guy is. I’ll tell you what, why don’t you come study here for a while. I’ll arrange everything for you. All you have to do is get your on the plane and come here. BFF bonding time!” Semi said into the phone causing Hana to chuckle, “Okay.”

            The both of them started to plan Hana’s arrival to Australia. Hana’s Mum agreed to it. She was glad that Hana was taking an opportunity to move on.

            On the very next day itself, it was around 11.30 as Hana waited in the airport. Her flight gate was already opened. She didn’t even know what she was waiting for. She just waited. Maybe, just maybe a hand would pull her back. Maybe she’d see his face again.

            “Last call for flight A35-3000 bound for Adelaide, Australia.”

            Hana heaved a big sigh before heading to the entrance to board the plane. She was about to pass the ticket to the air stewardess when suddenly and all too familiar voice called her name. “Hana!” He called once more. Hana turned around and she saw Baekhyun running towards her.

            “Baekhyun what are yo-“ Hana was cut off as she was engulfed into the pair of arms that she missed so much. She hugged him back as she relaxed into his arms. Baekhyun breathed into her hair before muttering a small “Don’t go.” Hana chuckled before she pulled away from him. She looked at how much thinner Baekhyun got, the eye bags under his wasn’t really what she wanted to see. She frowned as she knocked him on the head.

            “I’m going and I will go. Wait for me?” Hana asked as she hugged Baekhyun tightly again. Baekhyun sighed, “Do you really have to? Even if I ran all the way here?” They laughed before they pulled back from each other. “About that day, I really didn’t do anything. Areum jumped on me and I really didn’t-“ Baekhyun was cut off when Hana covered his mouth with her hand. “I know. I believe you. Let’s take a small break and before you know it, I’ll be back by winter.”

            “Promise you’ll come back?”

            “I promise.”

            In the aeroplane, Hana kept smiling to herself as she twirled the ring on her ring finger. “I’ll be back Baekhyun. Just wait.”

            Autumn soon rolled by and winter came along, snow covered the ground. Everyone was sitting by the fireplace, enjoying the warmth. It was a very chilly winter night.

            Let’s just say a particular someone was waiting at the airport. “Where is she?” Baekhyun mumbled to himself as he waited at the arrival gates. The arrival gates opened and his eyes were glued to the entrance.

            There she was, dragging her black luggage bag behind her. A wide smile formed on her face as she sprinted towards him. Baekhyun caught her in his arms before spinning her around.

            “How are you, love?” Baekhyun said as he swayed her from left to right. “I’m fine, thank you.” Hana beamed. Baekhyun took her bag and interlaced their fingers together, “Hot chocolate?” “Yes please!” Hana cheered.

            They then headed to their usual café to grab some hot chocolate. Hana couldn’t stop rambling about how much she loved Adelaide and how much time spent with Semi.

            Baekhyun chuckled, “Beautiful.” Hana looked at him and frowned, “What’s beautiful?” Baekhyun flicked her forehead gently before saying “You.” “Oh..” Hana blushed a deep crimson red and she smiled. She got up from her seat before heading towards Baekhyun.

            She threw herself at him and engulfed him in a bear hug. “ I love you so so so so much, Baekhyun.” Baekhyun laughed before hugging Hana back with the same amount of strength. “I love you too, love.”

            He pulled away and placed a small kiss on her forehead before hugging her again.

            It was during one snowy day where Cinderella was reconciled with her Prince Charming. And did I mention that the clock behind them had just chimed midnight.