chapter 3

Coach

 

As same as every Monday at 16:00 Minseo called the clinic and asked her father when he's coming to take her to swimming class "I'll be right on my way" he promised and hung up the call, collecting his things he waved his secretary goodbye and got on his way to pick up his daughter.

While driving to the community center Minseo asked Minho's permission to go on a trip with her class, Minho agreed and said he'll call her teacher for the details later, when they arrived his daughter kissed his cheek and went out of the car, he decided to loosen up about the new teacher- Taemin- and let Minseo go on her own like she used to do when Amber was there, he had to go to the bank anyway.

"Bye Appa!" Minseo waved.

"Bye sweetie, I'll pick you later"

She nodded before she disappeared in the building and he drove away.


 

After visiting the bank Minho drove back to the community center, Minseo's class hasn’t over yet so he went to the cafeteria, he bought himself coffee and sat at one of the tables that viewing the pool, small smile crossed his lips when he saw his daughter swimming, she was good like Amber said, no doubts.

When class was over and the girls went out of the water Minseo saw her father, she smiled and waved at him but kept chatting with her friends, he could wait a little longer.

Taemin noticed Minho as well and since Amber hadn’t called him with good news about Minseo's training he decided to take things to his own hands, little impatient he walked toward him.

"Hi…"

Minho looked at him and lowered his cup of coffee as he mumbled 'hello'.

Sitting by his side Taemin smiled and looked at Minseo "she's a great swimmer"

Minho nodded his head.

"I can spot a star when I see one and she has a lot of potential"

Oh no, he had an idea where it was going to, he had that talk few days ago with Amber, placing his cup of coffee on the table he straightened his body in the chair, he was about to open his mouth to talk but the boy kept talking.

"…I'm a personal trainer, I train for Olympic games mostly and I really want to train your daughter"

Minho shook his head "I'm sorry but no, I told Am-"

"Why not?" Taemin cut him.

Surprised about his rudeness Minho blinked at him "because-"

"She could be a professional swimmer" the boy cut him again.

"I don’t want her to be a professional" Minho said and before Taemin could cut him again he raised his hand to shush him "she's still young and that takes a lot of effort and responsibility, I don’t want her to be enslave"

"She won't, can't you see how happy she is when she's in the water?"

"Appa!" Minseo cut them both when she threw herself at her father "have you seen my side-?"

Minho smiled at his daughter and nodded "perfect as always"

The girl smiled proudly "Taemin Oppa said I'm a good swimmer!"

Did she just call her teacher 'Oppa'?! Minho glanced at the smiling boy by his side and got up from the chair "come on sweetie, we're going"

"See you next week, Minseo" Taemin said, he gave Minho a look that says 'do think about my offer' before the two left.

On their way to Amber's apartment Minho glanced at his daughter, she looked outside the window her mind in her own little world.

"Minseo…"

"Hmm?"

"How was your swimming class?"  

Minseo turned to face him "very good"

"You like swimming?"

"Very much" the girl said with a big smile.

"Would you like to have more classes?"

"Can I?" she asked excitedly.

"Taemin- ssi…suggested, since you're a good swimmer" he said without mention the Olympic part.

"I'd love to!"

Minho nodded "but, you have to promise it won't change your grades at school"

"It won't Appa! I promise!" luckily the seatbelt prevented her from jumping in her seat.

Minho smiled "you love swimming, don’t you…"

The girl nodded, something made her voice sheepish "it's reminds me of Changmin Appa"

Surprised, he glanced at her for a brief moment "why?"

"Because, he always took me to the community center, sometimes he even got into the water with me after class and we swam together, most of all I loved it when Appa watched me and cheered me from afar like a cheerleader, it was funny" small giggle escaped her lips "he was putting his hands in the air like this!" she waved her hands like she was holding pompoms.

Minho's vision blurred with tears he held back, he knew Changmin was going into the pool with her sometimes but he had no idea he was making her feel so confident about her swimming.

"…I really miss him" Minseo's voice became quiet and sad.

Reaching his hand Minho tapped his daughter's leg "me too sweetie, so much"

"Appa…can you come and swim with me one day, like Changmin Appa used to?"

"Of course!" Minho said and squeezed her leg fondly, Minseo wrapped her small arms around his arm and hugged tightly, they were quiet for the rest of the ride and when they reached Amber's the sadness left behind.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~   

 

Minho waited till swimming class has over before he reached Taemin, he had the whole week to think about his offer, during that week he asked Minseo a lot of camouflaged questions, mostly about her feelings for Changmin's death. He found out that his husband encouraged Minseo's passion for swimming while he thought it was just a hobby, some class she went once a week so she won't get bored at home while they worked, he was too busy with building his career as a pediatrician that he missed it.  

He was ashamed to think that more swimming classes with Taemin would make it up to Minseo for not being like Changmin but his daughter's eyes sparkled when he offered it and he liked seeing her happy, it was time to make a change and be more involve in her life.

"Hi" Taemin smiled as he saw Minho getting closer.

"Hi" Minho said quietly and nodded his head politely.

Straight to business the boy asked "so, have you thought about my offer?"

Minho hummed "yes"

"And…?"

"I've talked with Minseo and she seems to be thrilled about the idea of more classes, however I hadn't mentioned the Olympic games, I don’t want her to get stressed by this, she need to have fun and practice on her own pace, when the time would come and she'll be good enough, then I…you would tell her"

Taemin nodded, fair enough. He gave Minho all the details about the classes and payment agreements before Minseo came out of the showers and they announced her the news.

"Really?!" the girl called excitedly before she jumped at her father and hugged him tightly "thank you, Appa!"

"See you next week" Taemin said as the two left, he waited less than two minutes before he called Amber and told her Minho finally agreed.


 

Since Amber went to a rehab meeting Minho and Minseo drove home, they ate a quiet dinner before the girl got into the shower and got ready for bed time, she insisted on calling Amber and tell her that she's getting more classes before she'll go to sleep otherwise she'll go crazy- to her own words.

Minho laughed and agreed as they dialed Amber's number, few rings later she answered and Minseo told her all about the day, she wished her goodnight before she gave Minho the phone so the grownups could keep talking. Minho covered his daughter with the blanket before he got out of the room turning the lights off and closing the door behind him.

"How was rehab meeting?"

Amber inhaled like she was still trying to find out if she liked the meeting with Henry or not "it was good, I think…"

"Any process?"

"Yeah, Henry said it would take some time but I'm doing well"

"Any process with Henry?" Minho teased.

"Ya!" Amber called making him laugh, small uncontrolled smile crossed her lips "he asked me out- again"

"He did?" Minho stopped laughing.

"Hmmm… he wanted me to give him another chance to prove me wrong"

"So, you're going out with him?"

"I guess…" she said unsure.

"Don’t get too excited"

"Don’t you think it's weird? I mean, I rejected him once, why would he like to date me again? Maybe he just wants to revenge me…?"

Minho rolled his eyes as he sat on the couch, luckily she didn’t see it "you're watching too much TV, he likes you and he wants to have another chance, that's it"

"I hope so…"

Minho chuckled "so, when?"

"He's having a day off on Wednesday, so we'll meet"

"Sounds great"

"Yeah" she said unconvincingly "well, it's been a long day Oppa, I'm going to sleep now"

"Good night" Minho greeted and they hung up the call, he the TV and unlike the girls he was going to have another sleepless night.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Loud knock sounded on her door, Amber looked for her crutches as she called "Who is it?"

"Pizza"

Smiling she hopped to the entrance and swung the door open, though she hadn’t called for pizza "Taemin…"

"Hungry?" the boy asked as he walked in without waiting for invitation, in one of his hand there were 2 boxes of pizza and at the other 6 packs of cold beer.

"I am now…smells good" she said following him to the living room.

"Pineapple"  

"My favorite" the girl had some weird taste when it came to her pizza.

Taemin sat on the couch and opened the boxes, he gave his friend a slice and took one to himself "how is your leg?"

"Getting better"

"Getting back any time soon?"

"Already tired from my class?" she asked taking a giant bite.

Taemin shook his head and pushed the whole slice into his mouth, he cleaned his hands by rubbing them together before he opened two cans of beer and swallowed "no, I got Minseo on privet lessons, I got what I wanted"

Though she heard the news on the phone both from him and from Minseo she haven’t heard all the details "how did you convince Minho anyway?"  

Taemin shrugged and sipped from his beer "with my charm of course"

Amber laughed "yeah, well he have this weakness for pretty boys"

Lowering his can Taemin looked at the girl with wide eyes, that was the moment she realized she told him something he wasn’t supposed to know. "He's...?"

Amber lowered her eyes unable to lie to him.

Taemin shook his head like it wasn’t a big deal "never mind, all the good looking are taken anyway"

She gave him a forced smile and tried to take another bite from her pizza, however the boy snapped it from her hand "AMBER!"

"What?!" she called pretty miserably, she just wanted to eat her pizza quietly.

"He's both gay and single…and you haven't said anything?"

"How was I supposed to guess you're having a crush on Minho?! Besides, I'm not your wingman-"

"I'm not having a crush on him" he cut her off.

"So?"

"He just looks really good…"

"And?"

"The thought of asking him out won't hurt"

"Taemin-ah" Amber's voice softened "don’t do anything stupid, ok?"

"Stupid?"
"Minho had rough year, don’t play with him if you're "

"There's nothing dangerous about a date, and that nothing to do with my " he said offended.

"I'm just saying, Minho is my friend just as you and if something would happen, I don’t want to be involved"

Taemin stared at her for a moment before he pushed another slice of pizza into his mouth and mumbled something she couldn’t understand anyway but that was ok because she saw his eyes and he looked torn.