Yearning in the snow

Frostbite

I remember thrashing around, my ski mask and padded coat that had once protected me from the harsh cold winds were strewn aside. I was on a concrete floor, in a cabin that had been abandoned on a snowy mountain. Every inch of my body should've been frostbitten stiff, yet I was screaming, with suffocating heat pulsing from my heart to the ends of my body. His voice rang nonstop in my head like my ears were underwater and every other sound became muffled and fuzzy. His fangs left trails of fire on my arms yet his hands were so cold that anywhere he touched my hurt. My body wanted to tear itself apart under him...

...and I didn't want him to stop.

From then on, it was just a series of black-outs, eventually waking up to my parents and brothers in a hospital room. We then went home and I would dream about the same thing every night, bolt out of sleep in a cold sweat to only fall back and pass out again.

How long has it been, since that day at the ski resort? Minghao's anemia had mysteriously disappeared and he's been doing better than ever, but he remembers nothing. Whenever people ask about the scars on his chest, he would say they were from a heart procedure, because that was the lie I told him.

"Josh, you okay man?"

"Yeah, tired. Didn't get much sleep last night."

Aron nodded lightly before looking out the window, the pale snowy landscape flying past. Aron was my college roommate, and he had invited me to join his club for their week-long club winter vacation. I never imagined I'd return to that place, but here I was, on a railway train heading right towards those snowy mountain caps.

"Oh, shizz...it's cold here," Aron shivered right as he stepped out to the train platform. I couldn't ignore the cold either, the slight breeze easily blowing through my sweater.

"C'mon slowpokes, the visitor's center is just down over there," Minki screamed, running away with his suitcase skidding noisily against the pebbled sidewalk. Soon we had Jonghyun chasing after his best (boy)friend, yelling at Minki to slow down.

Aron smirked as we patiently kept up with the others, "I say both of them are gonna fall flat on their asses before-"

~slip KUH THUNK*! Crash!...splash!

"Aww...! It's so cold!!"

I sighed, "It's so cold here, you'd think that all the puddles would be frozen." As we walk closer, we see the pair shivering like drenched chickens, their pants dripping with below-freezing water.


"Will it be skis or board?"

"Skis, please."

The dark-haired man soon returned with a set of skis, doing one final height check when he set them right next to Jisoo. As Jisoo clicked on his ski boots, the resort staff stood right by him. Jisoo looked up, feeling a little under pressure from the man's narrow eyes.

"You've been here before...quite a while ago, if I'm not wrong," the man crossed his arms, his employee tag [Wonwoo] jutting out just a little. Jisoo stood up, taking his slopes in one arm while giving the keeper a sheepish look.

"Well, this is only my second time at this ski resort. My last visit was about five years ago, there was a little incident-"

"You're the older brother, from when you and your sibling were trapped in the blizzard."

Jisoo blinked twice. It had been so long ago since he and Minghao got stuck in that cabin, he had never expected anyone to recognize him. Wonwoo's eyes were sharp like dark arrowheads, his tousled hair just as dark with a few strands of silver. He was tall and thin, his skin so pale he looked a little sickly. "Yes, that was me."

Wonwoo sighed before passing Jisoo his helmet, "I was the one who drove you two down the mountain. Never imagined you'd ever come back, much less go skiing here of all places."

While Jisoo wanted to believe what Wonwoo said were words of relief, there was a twinge something, something about his tone seemed...painful. 

"Josh, you ready to go?" Aron appeared by Jisoo's side, nudging him on the shoulder with an excited grin. That's right, Jisoo's here with his friends, he's here to have. a fun time. It was time to push the past aside.

As he clipped on his helmet, Jisoo turned to the resort worker. "Thanks for saving me and my brother back then."

Wonwoo shrugged, "You're thanking the wrong person."

But Jisoo was already heading to the snow slopes, his silhouette blurring into nothing as he disappeared into a field of white.

"Excuse me, could I get a different helmet? I think I need a small."

Wonwoo made his way to the rack of helmets, passing out equipment to skiers as if his body was on auto-pilot. He limped his way around, still thinking about Jisoo.

You shouldn't have come back.


Well, this is a way to start my return to fanfics.

I've been working on a sequel chapter for a while now,  and I was finally able to finish this transition chapter!

To the people who are reading this, I hope you enjoy it. Because I feel that this chapter is a little lackluster I want to refine the next chapter.

Maybe expect some updates for my other stories??? (I have no clue lulz)

Song rec: Penomeco - Hunnit

(a good dark RnB bop)