Final

A Week

            Hayi is a young worker in her office. She had dedicated her time for four years. Living alone in a big city is difficult for her. However, it's nothing she can't handle. She has lived in a boarding house for about four years as well. It is close to her office and the rent is cheap. The owner, Mr. Seunghyun, is a very nice person, although he doesn't speak much, he does sometimes give advice.

            There are other renters who have been living in the boarding house way longer than she has. Jimin Park, the famous club singer is one of the renters. Hayi is good friends with her because Jimin is a youthful woman. Jennie Kim, is another girl in the boarding house and she is a cool mathematics student.  She is almost never at the  boarding house because she always busy.

             Kim Taehyung is one of the male renters. He is handsome man with cute laugh. Hayi likes him because he’s always nice to her when she asks him for help.. He always goes out during the day to work and returns at night. Even though he has lived the longest in the boarding house, no one knows exactly what his job is. The owner, Mr. Seunghyun said that Taehyung is actually rich. Hayi believes him because Taehyung is always wearing such good clothes.

There is also Nam Taehyun, not much is known about him other than he is a lyrics writer and a composer. But nobody can beat how cool he is, even Jennie.

            Lastly,the newest renter who came only two years ago, His name is the same as Jimin's. At first, everyone was confused to call them by their name. But then Jimin said to call him “Chimchim”; they were quite surprised to hear that name. However Hayi liked it, because the name was cute like his smile. Only the owner is still calling him by his original name, while all the other renters call him by his nickname. In just two years he continued to change jobs countlessly.

            Now, he has stopped working, and Hayi only has a week.

            “Jimin!” Hayi is calling the room owner name loudly. She knows for sure that Jimin is in her room, because she won’t go to sleep before twelve.

            Jimin opened the door, looking sullen, “What?”

            “I only have a week.” Hayi force her way into Jimin’s room.

            Jimin was surprised as Hayi barged in, “So, you already know?”

            “I just got home from work, and heard the news.” She sat down in front of the small table and lput her head down.

            Jimin sat in front of Hayi, “So, are you going to give up now?”

            “I don’t know. I already had done lot this year, but he was never aware of it.” Hayi sighed.

            Jimin just nodded her head, remembering back what Hayi has done. She remembers while counting everything, “Hmm, I still remember it. You made him a sweet cake.”

            “He just said thank you.”

            Jimin added, “You made him lunch!”

            “He doesn't eat much. He even fainted in front of his room once.”

            “You bought him a gift for his birthday.”

            Hayi smiled with a sigh. “At least he was wearing that bag for long.”

            “Oh, I remember! You took care of him when he got into an accident at work.” Jimin was so happy remember those. She commented more, “And all he does is give you milk from his company. I don’t understand him anymore. Why does he not realize how you feel?”

            “Should I give up?” Hayi doubts.

            Jimin is confused looking at how unhappy she was. She will always support her , especially because she knows that Hayi is a shy girl. She had tried to encourage Hayi to approach Chimchim. Jimin wants to help her friend. She slammed her palms against the table, shocking Hayi,  “There is no other way! We have to do that plan!”

            Hayi stares at Jimin curiously, “You have a plan?”

            Jimin nodded her head, “Of course.” Hayi could only stare at Jimin in disbelieve. While Jimin look confident. She smiled at Hayi, to assured her that the plan would certainly succeed. She got up and shouted, “AW Project! We must immediately put the plan into action.”

            “AW Project?”

            Jimin winked to Hayi, “Yeah, A Week Project.” Then, Jimin walks straight to her closet. She opened one of the shelves and pulled something, “Finally, I'm going through with this plan. I didn’t think this day would come.”

            “Wait, where are you going?” Hayi hold Jimin who is ready to going out of her room.

            Jimin just smiled, “Relax, Hayi. You just wait here.”

            Hayi was still confused, but chose to wait. She watched the clock move. Now the time has flown by and it's 10 pm. What does Jimin want to do at this hour anyways? No way, she won’t go to Chimchim’s room. Hayi can only guess, and she waits for Jimin to come back. However, she didn’t wait much longer because Jimin is back.

            Jimin closed the door and sat back down. Hayi asked her, “And now what?”

            “ We Wait.”

            “Hmm.” Hayi shook her head in disbelief.

            She waited as Jimin said. Time passed, until finally, five minutes had elapsed. And, they both still felt nothing. Hayi already began to feel suspicious about this. On the other hand Jimin clenched her hands, she felt as though her plan will fail. She let out a small voice, “Are they asleep?”

            “Who?” Hayi heard her.

            Jimin panic when she asked, but the sound of knocks from the door distracts them. Someone suddenly entered the room, and Hayi know who that person is. Jimin smiled widely, “Yaa! Jennie! What took you so long?”

            Jennie sighed, put on her usual lazy face, “You should be thankful I came, unnie.” She took a seat near Jimin.

            Hayi looked at Jennie, “Jennie-ah, what are you doing here?”

            Jennie gives her a flat response, “Just wait for it, unnie.”

            And one by one, the boys entered the room, and the only thing Hayi could do is widen her eyes. Jimin invited them in enthusiastically. The room was quickly began to fill up as they entered. Taehyung took a seat next to Hayi, while Taehyun had taken his place in the back to avoid the fuss. There was only one renter who wasn't in the room, and that was Chimchim.

            Before Jimin could say anything, the owner, Mr. Seunghyun stood in the doorway, “Ahem, why is it so crowed in this room?”

            “Ahjussi! Shh!” Jimin pulled Mr. Seunghyun inside as well , as usual; she always called him like that. Although, he had told all  the renters to call him so. Jimin close the door and let Mr. Seunghyun have a seat, before she took her place in front of them all, “Well, everyone is already here! Let's start our project. Oh yes, but before we start, is there any questions?”

            Hayi raised her hand, “Me. I have so many questions.”

            Jimin gives her a wide smile, “All right.”

            Taehyun suddenly speaks up from behind, “We will help you confess your love to Chimchim.”

            Hayi was surprised.Taehyung also responded, “We already known for a long time, Hayi.”

            “I don’t mind helping you, unnie. Anyway, I have free time,” Jennie looked away, embarrassed to say that to Hayi.

            “Hey, I known this since yesterday” Mr. Seunghyun could only answer while looking towards Jimin.

            Jimin give him a fierce stare, “Ahjussi!”

            “Yes, okay, I will help.”

            “Good. So, Hayi, I know all your hard efforts over the years. In fact, we all know how you approached Chim-oppa. Now, let us carry out this plan!” Jimin raised her hand excitedly, and only Taehyung gave an energetic reply back.

            However, Hayi just kept silent to see them all here and said those. She was touched by the presence of the renter, including the owner of the house. She didn’t think they would say that. This is really unexpected things that come from this boarding house. With watery eyes, she tried to speak, “I-.”

            “Hayi ...” Jimin look at her, “What’s wrong?”

            “No, I'm just happy. I think of giving up before, but everyone are now here even support me.” She rubbed her eyes to stop the tears.

            Taehyun was holding her shoulder. On the other hand, Jennie was trying to reach her hand. Then, Taehyung tries to embrace Hayi from her right. Mr. Seunghyun could only smile. Jimin see her friend with great worry, “Therefore, Hayi. There is still time for you, cheer up!”

            Hayi nodded behind her crying, “Okay.”


D—6 ●

            The next day, after a long meeting, the AW Project was finally complete. Today is Saturday, and Hayi doesn’t work. They plan to make Chimchim invite Hayi to date. To carry this out, Taehyun decided to help. He was actually very lazy to get up early, but he also wants to finish this quickly. Thus, he chose the first day.

            Taehyun headed to the kitchen, saw Chimchim who was pouring drinks, “Hey, morning.”

            Chimchim responded with a smile, “Morning, Hyung.”

            Taehyun looks at him from top to bottom, “Why are you so neat?”

            He drank a sip, “I have to go.”

            “Don’t you move next week?” Taehyun was curious.

            “I had to take care of something for three days, Hyung." He finished his drink and then touched Taehyun’s shoulder, “I'm going.”

            And like that, the first plan failed, the next plan also seems to fail. Taehyun falls to silence to see Chimchim already ran away. He took two tickets from his pocket and stared at it for a moment. Jennie came out of her room and walked into the kitchen, “Oppa, are you already done it?”

            Taehyun lifted his face; he gave the tickets, “Let's go to the fair with me.”

            Jennie took it by surprise, “Chim-oppa rejected it?”

            “No. Our plan failed miserably.”

            “What? How?” Jimin who were upstairs heard their conversation.

            Taehyun looked up, and then walked back to his room, “Chimchim went out until the next three days because he was having some task.”

            In surprise, Jimin is shouting, “Oh my god!”

D—5 ●

            “What should we do? What? What should we do now?” Jimin had been kept repeating the same words as she circled the living room.

            They gathered again to discuss AW project. Actually, the initial plan was Taehyun will give two ticket of a fair to Chimchim, he hopes that he will invite Hayi. However, it is not unexpected at all that Chimchim will be gone for three days. Now, time to express her feeling is dwindling. Hayi is sitting in the middle, watching them in silence. It seems no one really thought it would happen.

            Hayi let out her voice, “It’s okay. We do not need to do this anymore.”

            Jimin won’t give up, “No. I still have another idea. We don’t have much time, Hayi! Now, you have to collect your courage again.”

            “What?”

            Taehyung asked, “You want Hayi to ask Chimchim to a date?”

            “Exactly.”

            Hayi quickly shook her head, “No way. He will reject it.”

            “We won’t get anything if we don’t try it.”

D—4 ●

            From Hayi:

                        Chim-oppa, do you have free time before you go?

            From Chim-oppa:

            I'm sorry, Hayi. I’m busy taking care of a few things. I might just back this Thursday. I never thought I would be this busy.

            Hayi shows new messages from Chimchim to other renter. They sighed see it. Jimin touches her forehead, “Is he really dense, huh?” Jimin sighed again, “I never thought I would do this. The day he comes back later, you have to ask him to come.”

            Hayi innocently nodded.

            From Hayi:

            Chim-oppa, we wanted to have a farewell party for you before you go. You could come later at Thursday, right?

            From Chim-oppa:

                        Of course, Hayi. Thank you for the party. See you at Thursday.

D—3 ●

            Today is Tuesday. Hayi decided not to take overtime. She asked to go home early from her office. She had an appointment with Jennie and Jimin to go shopping in the afternoon. Hayi actually don’t particularly want to go, but Jimin keeps pushed her. She suggested Hayi to go buy a parting gift. They both went to the cute shops in town.

            “Well, it’s been a long time!” Jimin look very excited. She immediately ran into a store.

            Jennie just shook her head. Hayi laugh and she turned towards a shop located on the other side. Jennie called her, “Hayi-unnie.”

            “Yes?”

            “What do you like about Chim-oppa?”

            Hayi calmly answer that question, because she knows well the answer for it, “He's a hard worker. He worked wholeheartedly. I loved him for that first, but over time, I don’t understand anymore the reason I love him.” Hayi chuckled.

            “Unnie, I wish you good luck.”

            Hayi smile, “Thank you.”

            “So, what would you like to buy for Chim-oppa, unnie?” Jennie asked again.

            Hayi shows a shop, “I'll check into it. I remember something.”

            Hayi take the step toward the store, and Jennie wanted to follow her too. However, Jimin suddenly touched her shoulder. She stops Jennie, “Where is Hayi going, Jennie?”

            “She said she wants to go to that store.” She pointed to a trinkets store.

            “Okay, let's follow her.” Jimin is walking while embracing Jennie.

            Jennie was surprised, but she quietly asked, “Jimin-unnie, do you think it will really work?”

            Jimin casually answered, “Successful or not, I don’t want Hayi to regret it someday.”

D—2 ●

            Tomorrow they’ll hold the farewell party for Chimchim. Jimin and Hayi is going out again for this afternoon, they were shopping for groceries. However, today Taehyung accompany them shopping. They plan to cook a lot. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for them. Hayi already bought presents for Chimchim yesterday, and now she's going to pick a menu for him. She had always made packed meal for Chimchim. She just excited to cook for Chimchim tomorrow.

            “What are we going to cook?” Jimin runs behind Hayi.

            “These. I'm sure he loves these foods.” Hayi showed Jimin the list.

            Taehyung should be behind them, but stopped to taste the food. He looked so happy. Jimin called him, “Yaa, Taehyung-oppa!”

            “Hmm?” He turned, chewing the food.

            “We need the cart.” Jimin is running toward him, and then push him forward.

            Hayi chuckled to see them. She took some of the vegetables and put it on the cart. She saw some meats are in the basket. She was surprised to see those and turned toward Taehyung, “Oppa, what is this?”

            “Don’t worry, I'll pay. The meat is very tasty, Hayi.” He smiled remembering what he had tasted before.

            “But you can’t cook, oppa...”

            He laughed again, “We can make this for Chimchim tomorrow!”

            Jimin reply to his chatter, “Just say you want to tell us to cook, so you can eat it. Don’t make excuses.”

            Hayi smiled at them both. She had not expected that shopping will be this fun with both of them. Tomorrow could be a good day, right? Because Hayi still have doubts until today. However, she saw how everyone already supports her over the past few days. She was not supposed to waste their kindness to her.

            But, what should I do after he’s gone?

D—1 ●

            The farewell party is come, and all foods are ready. They've prepared on since this afternoon. Hayi is most eager to do it all. There is only one thing that hasn’t been complete from this event, its Chimchim’s presence. Hayi have been trying to reach him, but until now there has been no reply from him. They all began to worry.

            “He's fine, right?” Hayi look towards other renter.

            Jimin answered hesitantly, but still tried to convince Hayi, “Of course, Hayi.”

            It is past eight in the evening, but Chimchim is still not there yet. They sat silently in the living room of boarding house. Currently, no one has dared to give a response before the bell ring. Could it be that this time everything will fail again? Hayi’s mind is now filled with worries. From the beginning she should just give up in doing everything. Hayi sighed shortly.

            Mr. Seunghyun came into the living room; break the silence, “Jimin is here.”

            Mr. Seunghyun showed Chimchim behind him, smiling, “Hi, all. I'm sorry I'm late.”

            Taehyung instantly ran to him, “We've been waiting for you.”

            Jimin reply Taehyung words, “He is waiting to eat the dishes, not you Chim-oppa.”

            Hayi face changed after seeing Chimchim’s presence in this room. The atmosphere changed in an instant with the laughter of all the inhabitants. Hayi stand up to him, “We've made you some dishes. Let’s eat.”

            Chimchim smiled at her, “Ok.”

            The room is filled with warmth, whether this will be the last time they ate together or a beginning. They shared stories at the room, forgetting that tomorrow Chimchim would be moving. The boarding house accommodates people with a lot of stories. Long night passed so quickly, and they eventually finished tasting the food. Hayi decided to wash dishes in the kitchen and Chimchim help out too.

            “I forgot to buy alcohol! Isn’t suitable for a night like this it?” Jimin yelled in the living room to give hint for everyone.

            Taehyung understand Jimin’s intention, he stood up, “Good idea! Let’s buy it!”

            Jimin pull out Jennie from her sit. While Mr. Seunghyun walked toward the front door. Taehyun with heavy steps follow them all. It’s already looks clear that they pretend to buy alcohol. Jimin headed for the kitchen to meet Hayi, “We are going to buy some alcohol, Hayi.”

            Hayi approached Jimin and saw a wink from her eye, “Ok.” She smiled to see them go out of the boarding house.

            Finally, after a long time and a long process, they could be alone in the boarding house. Hayi could feel her beating heart. She was nervous being alone with Chimchim. She saw Chimchim’s back, trying to encourage herself to start the conversation. Hayi take the dishes that he washed to put on the shelf, “Chim-oppa.”

            Chimchim answer her while cleaning the dishes, “Yes?”

            “Uh...” It’s hard to let out a word, but Hayi take a deep breath, “Eh, where will you live later?”

            “It’s far from here, I guess.”

            “Are we still able to stay in contact?” Hayi took a plate from Chimchim.

            Chimchim see her pleading eyes, his heart hesitated for a moment, “Of course, we can.” Chimchim looked away after saying that. It is certain, he lied to Hayi.

            Hayi is so happy to hear it, putting the last plate. She did not realize the sad eyes from Chimchim after saying it. Without thinking, Hayi ran into the living room to get something. Gifts that she had prepared for Chimchim is in her hand right now. Chimchim who had finished clean everything was walking toward the living room to see Hayi who approached him.

            “Hayi...”

            Hayi stopped. She saw Chimchim’s serious face. She decided to hide the present.

            “Thank you for all this time, Hayi. You were always helping me.”

            “That’s fine, Chim-oppa. I do it because I like it.”

            Chimchim is getting closer to her, “I guess thanks are not enough for your kindness.”

            Hayi raised her head slowly, saw Jimin standing in front of her. Perhaps this is her chance to express her feelings to him? Hayi gathered her courage one by one, while holding a gift in her hand tightly, Hayi let out her voice. “I... I did it because... I like you, oppa.” Her heart almost burst, Hayi did not dare to look up.

            “I like you too.”

            Hayi surprised to hear that answer from Chimchim. However, suddenly Chimchim touched her head gently. Hayi surprised to see it, “Chim-oppa?”

            “You are a good and caring person, Hayi. As a dongsaeng, you are so cute.” He laughed a little after release his hand from Hayi’s hair.

            Like a needle pierced her heart, right now, Hayi feel disappointed with Chimchim’s words. She tried to say it again, “But, what I mean is different from that.” Hayi lifted her face, but she could see Chimchim looks sympathetic to her.

            “I know. Thanks, Hayi.”

            She hated it. She hates Chimchim’d gaze that made her heart beat, although he did not have the same feelings. She was disappointed because Chimchim was not trying to listen to her words. As if Chimchim already build the distance between them. Hayi shed tears, because she knows that this is useless. She threw the gift to Chimchim firmly, and then ran away.

            Chimchim was holding gift as he called her, “Hayi!”

            And, all the inhabitants suddenly came and Jimin saw Hayi who ran to the second floor. Everyone was surprised to see Chimchim was standing alone. They realize the intense aura around in the room. However, after seeing the forced smile from Chimchim, they realized what had happened. All these plans failed.

            “She seems to be mad at me.” The laughter that sounded sad.

            Hayi went directly into her room, locked it and fell in front of the door. She was crying softly in sadness and disappointment. The love she felt for him was only unrequited. She did not want expect much, but Chimchim’s words made her very hurt. She recalled all Chimchim’s kindness to her. In those days, he is always hoping at least Chimchim also has feelings for her even a little, but it was just a stupid hope. She was too much for delusions.

            And tomorrow, she would never see him again. No longer need to feel this pain anymore. Yes, isn’t that good?

D—Day ●

            This morning, Hayi should work as usual, but she was not excited. She got out of bed with a heavy heart. She was sure that he is already gone from this boarding house. Just remember the incident yesterday, she don’t have any spirit to go out. However, she felt thirsty for crying over the incident. She decided to go out of the room to get a drink.

            When she opened her room, she saw a blue doll lies ahead. Blue doll with paper in front of it, there is a necklace with a key. Hayi lowered herself to look at the doll. She took the paper and read it.

            I’m sorry, Hayi. Take care.

                        -Chimchim.

            Then she took the key from the doll, and turned her face to room next to hers. She knows it’s Chimchim’s room. She stood up and walked toward the door. First she was not sure if it is the key to his room. However, she tried to plug it, and indeed that's the key. Hayi opened the door. Of course, Chimchim is not in that room anymore. She goes into the room.   

            The room was dark. She tried to looking for the switch to turn on the lights. The lights finally illuminate the room. There, Hayi can only be silent; cannot let out any words.

            The room was filled with so many beautiful paintings. There are so many painting of a woman smiling. She realized that the painting of the woman was very similar to her.

            Trembling, she approached the painting, seeing the words written underneath.

            Our pretty, Hayi.

            Her smile is lovely.

            As thousands of gifts given to her, the room is filled by her. She saw a large doll. She saw a card attached.

            I hope you like this doll.

            Then, a beautiful necklace is in the doll's neck. He wrote something else.

            I always wanted to give it to you for your birthday.

            Other gifts were in every corner of the room, and Hayi check every card that attached in every gift. She read it.

            Thanks for the lunch you make every day. I want to see you cooks with this apron.

            Thank you for taking care of me. I think this ribbon will look cute on you.

            Hayi falls into silent in that room. She doesn’t understand anymore what she had to do to see this. She never knew who exactly Chimchim is, but she did not care about it because she loves him. Everything she did for him all this time, Chimchim actually realizes it. She never has thoughts in her mind if Chimchim also want to give all these gifts to her. Hayi thought that milk was his gratitude for her kindness.

            Chimchim was leaving the last letter in a big box. Hayi opened the letter.

                        Dear Hayi,

            I'm sorry for being a coward. I was always afraid to give all these gifts. I think that I don’t deserve to be with you. I'm just a worker at the dairy company. I guess you just feel sorry for me. However, your kindness touched my heart. I had decided to give up my dream all along. Seeing you make me inspired, I always watching you. Thank you will never be enough for all of this, and sorry won’t be able to treat the wounds that I gave you.

I always wanted to hold your hand and hug you.

I love you. I'm sorry I cannot say it directly.

I really love you. Please, be happy, always.

            Hayi’s cries break the silence of the room. She opened the big box slowly. Inside, there is a pair of beautiful shoes.

            Farewell gift from me. I love you who always love your job. My cute neighbor, Hayi.

            “Jimin... Park Jimin...” She called his name.

            A regret and disappointment.


 

 

 

 

 

 

            At the crowded train station, Park Jimin was standing alone. He’s watching every train that passes by. He let out his sight. He’s hoping someone will come to get him. He was right, someone was walking toward him. That person was bowing to him. But, it’s not someone he was hoping for. Jimin turned his body and gave that person a greeting too.

            “It’s been a long time, Mr. Jimin.” That person reached his hands.

            He left a little laugh, “Yeah. It was a nice holiday.”

            “I guess it was. Are you somehow regretting something?”

            “Yeah. I want to stay, but I have life. I’ll do your request, Mr. Namjoon.” Jimin was grabbing his case.

            Before Jimin can go, Namjoon tried to speak again, “Actually, I was quiet surprise to see you working at that diary company before. I mean, why a painter and writer like you want to do that kind of job?”

            “I’ve lose many things two years ago. I need a new inspiration. I learned a lot from everyone there. I’m glad Mr. Seunghyun introduces me to that place.” He smiles.

            Namjoon reply his words, “That old man never changes, right?”

            “Yeah.” He laughs, but he suddenly his phone was ringing. It’s a call from Hayi.

            Namjoon saw that, “You don’t answer it?”

            “I want to. It’s not my time yet.” He put his phone back to his pocket.

            “If it’s about a girl, the next time you met her, you definitely have to give her the real answer.” Namjoon was walking toward the train that stopped.

            Jimin pulled his case, “I will. I promise to myself about that.”

            “That’s good then. Let’s go Mr. Writer.” Namjoon enter the train.

            Jimin followed him, gone to the next stop.


The End

 

From author:
Thank you for reading and subscribe.
Don't forget to give me some feedback <3