What Once Was Mine

Coincidence or Fate?

"No way! You're a girl!" 

"So what? I'm strong and I can beat anyone up, especially you, Jae Eun!" 

"Oh yeah! Well then I'd like to see you try." Jae Eun said as he grabbed me by the shirt. I grabbed his hand and dug my nails into his arm, he did everything he could to not yell out so I turned my back and flipped him over my shoulder.  He definitely yelled out after that. 

"Ow! Rae, what the heck?! Why are you so strong? Are you a boy?" He said as he got up and dusted himself off. He had teased me for so long I finally had enough.  I walked up to him and landed a big punch on his face.  He turned to look at me to attack, but we both heard a voice yelling out for me.

"Rae! Come and eat, you've been outside for long enough."  I turned to look for where my mother's voice was coming from. Finally when eyes found her, and I could only smile. My mom's so pretty, I picked some flowers for her because I know she'll be angry at me for getting dirty.

"I'm coming!" I ran with all my might up the stairs with a smile that could only be made of pure joy. I finally made it to the door, "I'm here!" I announced.

"Rae, what were you doing? You're full of dirt! Were you fighting with the boys again?"

I knew it.

"It's not my fault! Jae Eun won't stop making fun of me!'

"Aigoo, forget it. Hurry, and go upstairs to change we can talk about this later.  Daddy's going to be back any minute so we can all eat together."

That's right! My dad is coming home today! He has been at work for so many days because he's a soldier. I don't know much because I'm only 8, but daddy told me that we moved here to South Korea so he can protect the rest of our family back in America. My mom and I live in a place called Suncheon which is a little bit away from where my daddy lives, he says that he wants to makes sure mom and I are safe so that's why we live apart for now. 

"Go wash up now, Rae." 

Oh yeah, I forgot to give mom my flowers!

"Here, mommy.  I picked them for them for you and daddy, can we put them in a vase on the table?"

"Oh! How pretty! Wait, are you giving me these so I won't be mad at you for fighting with Jae Eun again?" I could only smile my cheesiest smile. "Oh goodness alright fine, I'll put them on the table for you, Now go wash up!" she told me for what felt like the 10th time. 

"Alright Alr-"

"Rae do as your mother says." a strong yet sweet voice interupted.

I jumped at the voice I hadn't heard in 3 months, when I turned I could only see the most kind, handsome face I had ever seen. 

"Daddy!" I yelled as I jumped into his arms, no longer caring about the dirt on my face or shirt. 

"How's my baby Rae and my beautiful wife, Ceira?" He asked as he held my mom and me in a tight embrace. My mom and I both cried a little, she said it was because we were so happy.

"Daddy, I picked flowers for the dinner table and helped mom cook for you!" 

"Why, thank you, sweetheart! But why are you full of dirt?" Uh oh, I didn't get a chance to wash up.

"Yeah, why are you so dirty, Rae?" my mom said with a smile on her face.  I knew she wanted me to fess up to fighting again. 

"I went to pick flowers for you and mommy." 

"And?"

"And....then I fought with Jae Eun." I said with a small voice. My dad just looked over at me.

He whispered, "Did you win?" I nodded, "good, you take after your dad then." He laughed.

"Sean! Don't encourage her!" He laughed even harder after my mom said that. My dad's laugh is the best sound in the world next to my mom telling me I love you. At 8 years old, my world was complete. I only needed them.