So The Hunt Begins

It Just Happened

Very mild cursing. Whatever.


One crispy autumn morning

 

 

"Interview one. Fail. Interview two, fail. Interview three. Phony. Interview four, five, six and seven? FAIL. Lol why am I trying so hard for anyway?"

 

Jaeyeon has been broke. Not normal broke, where she could still buy several ramen and live a happily lazy college bum life. But desperately needing money to pay all her school dues on time. Even though they aren't due too soon, we all know how lazy Jaeyeon gets. She'll push dues off until the day before they're due. Totally last minute. We don't need that okey? It'd also just be great to have her own money vs money or loans from school. Her one day jobs where she gets her pocket change from are getting stupid. Plus, loans are evil and of course need to be paid back. Good thing she's only ever recieved one.

 

"I'll try again next, next week. I need a 'this whole week' long nap."

 

Jaeyeon also forgets things are supposed to be done as well.

 

"Oh CRAP. ONE MORE INTERVIEW IN FIFTEEN MINUTES, OH MA GERD."

 

She's also a bit dramatic when she lacks sleep, lol.


Twenty minutes later

 

 

"I'm so sorry I'm late." Jaeyeon literally ran a mile to get here. Late or not she definitely deserves a nap, and food.

"It was only five minutes. I won't kill you or anything, hehe." Jaeyeon got caught off guard, why isn't she getting lectured? Especially by this old timer in a plaid suit. Ew.

"Are you the boss or what?"

"Huh? Oh yeah. I am the boss." The man looks like he loses his car keys every morning and comes late alot himself, lol.

"So any questions?" Jaeyeon wants this over with. A certain bed is calling her name,

"Of course, but I'll be fast. I'll only ask three things." Jaeyeon was glad to hear that.

 

The old man looked at her for a good two minutes, then asked the questions.

 

"How are you with minimal physical labor? How are you with people? & Why aren't you already working here?" Jaeyeon sorta ignores the last question. Kinda obvi.

"I can adapt very well to any physical labor and can have a great amount of patience for it, as long as I'm no ones shelf. (P.s. she means she doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Y'know, slackers putting all their work onto her.) I work with people fine. And I'm almost a hunnid percent positive the last question is either a trick or rhetorical." Jaeyeon cuts to the chase. She's been through enough of these boring interviews to say what she has to say without saying too much.

 

The old man laughs. Hard. Jaeyeon thinks it's a good sign. She hopes it's a great sign. It could B, right?

 

"Sorry we're not what your looking for. Good try though, lol."

 

Jaeyeon will have wonderful dreams of kicking his head off, mainly for faking as if she had a chance. He knew he didn't wanna give the position to her in the first place.


Walking home: Jaeyeon's POV

 

"Stupid interviewers, stupid need for money, stupid govenment, stupid hair clip... EVERYTHING'S SO STUPID!" As Jaeyeon yells in frustration she startles a group of five girls, three masked, all five huddled in a circle as if to give each other heat as they seemed to be waiting for something outside. One even makes a small screech, catching Jaeyeon's attention.

"I'M SO SORRY-- wait why am I still yelling? Anyways, I genuinely apologize for scaring you so badly. It just hasn't been my day, or week for that matter. Are you guys okay? It's a really chilly day today. EVEN THE WEATHER IS STUPID!" Once again another outburst from tired Jaeyeon, causin the girls to once again, flinch. They are sure she's insane, or at least mildly bipolar...

"Do you have to keep randomly yelling like that? I was already cold and now my ears hurt." One short, pretty, brown haired girl retorted. Another short and pretty girl pats her back, her facial expression like stone.

"Wendy, she just said she's having a bad week. Give her some slack, we're in the same boat. The cold has made you sensitive." Wendy just rolls her eyes.

"Irene, I really just wanna go home. What's taking that stupid manager of ours so long just to pick up his stupid earphones?" Wait, what? Wendy and Irene? Jaeyeon's brain starts to work properly again, now that there has been something that finally interest her. She starts to think to herself for moment..

 

"Now that I'm fully paying attention, they definitely look like them. At least those two who just spoke do. They mentioned having a manager too. Hmm... okay. Since they're the only two without masks. Let's just see if they'll say one more familiar name." Jayeon now tunes in to the girls conversation at full attention to prove her suspicion. She has to hear it from their moths since all she has to go on right now is their eyes and foreheads.

 

"Unnie that manager is getting fired, that's what's taking so long. Duh, he's probably on the phone trying his best to save his job, but is failing to do so since he probably isn't saying the right things to CEOnim." A much taller girl with long pretty black hair speaks, matter of factly might I add.

"Joy shut up, you're just gonna agitate her more." Joy? Bingo. Jaeyeon takes action. She's gonna do her best to make sure they're okay, but she's also gonna make sure she disappears. This is Red Velvet in front of her. She just further irritated Wendy in this cold weather, and she already can't get a job. Why stay too long to irritate Wendy more? So she can pull some strings that will keep Jaeyeon from getting a job ever? Hell no.

"Aww man, listen. I'm really sorry about scaring you guys. I'm also sorry you all have to wait in this cold since that lobby allows no loitering." Because of Jaeyeon's sudden speaking, Red Velvet snaps their head in her direction a bit shocked. They forgot she was there, she could've totally just ran for it. But, she still just feels really bad they're having complications in such bad weather too. Just like her.

"There's a SunDollars right across the street. I'll order you all something warm, so what'll it be? Hot chocolate? Or coffee. It looks like you still have time to spare and I don't want you guys getting sick okay?" Having heard that, someone new speaks up, Jaeyeon guessed it was Seulgi.

"Uh, hi. My name's Seulgi and this quiet little one right here is Yeri and we both would like a hot chocolate please." Jaeyeon hit the nail on the head. Yeri quickly nods her head. Joy chimes in a split second after, seeing that these warm drinks were really going to be given to her and her friends for free.

"My name is Joy and I'd also like a hot chocolate please." Joy rubs hers hands together in the 'pretty please' gesture.

"No you guys don't even know her, she cold slip one in your drinks. And what's worse is the hot drinks will melt it before you even notice." Irene refuses with a scruncched up face. Wendy just nods, since she almost put in her own order, taking it as a sign Irene just saved her .

"Wait, you guys weren't gonna come in with me? Why would I make you guys wait in the cold when I'm trying to warm you up with hot drinks? I have common sense and by the way, I'm not shady like that. I'm highly offended but I'll still buy them for you guys if you guys agree to it." Hearing that, Irene nods. She then bows politely, with the rest of the group following suit, and then sticks a hand out to Jaeyeon.

"Okay. I'm Irene, this is Wendy, and I'll accept your offer. I'm still gonna keep my eyes on you." Jaeyeon just shakes Irene's hand, bows politely and walks across the street to SunDollars with RV in tow behind her.


Inside SunDollars

 

"Here are your three hot chocolates, two weirldly named coffees and my beautiful vanilla." The group found a booth in a corner right in front of the stores window, and Jaeyeon could've sworn these girls could not have made a more horrible choice. Though she's surprised no one noticed them freezing their asses off outside, they were now inside and no longer wearing their mask. Fully exposed. Jaeyeon hated attention but as soon as they were comfortable and each had their drinks, they eyeballs were glued to them and the customers lips started moving.

"The names aren't that weird.." Irene happily sips her 'caramel pumpkin spice with a heartbeat and a booyah'. What even is that.

"I was gonna take my leave after giving you guys your drinks but now that there's attention I fear I can't move from this seat until your manager--"

"Ex manager." They all correct.

"... Ex mager gets back." Jaeyeon finishes.

"He's still taking forever, and you know all of us, yet you haven't said a thing about yourself. Besides having a crappy week. What's your name?" Yeri finally speaks.

"I only know about you what you tell the media. And they could be lies, so I could actually know nothing abouth any of you." RV nods, humming in half agreement.

"Most of those things are true. So your name please." Jaeyeon really didn't want them to know her name or even remember this encounter. She settled for giving up her nickname.

"Jae" RV tilts their heads in unison.

 

"Are they all clones of each other or something, jeez."

 

"Just Jae? Is your name like Park Kyung sunbaenim?" Irene asks. Then suddenly Joy blurts something, Jaeyeon didn't even want to admit was funny.

"Jay Park! Female version!" Yeri slaps the back of Joy's head while giggling. Jaeyeon plays along.

"투명한 바닷가에 빠지고 싶어~ 요트 살게 올라타 파도가 느껴져. 무인도로 떠나자 딴 거 필요 없어~ 수영복도 챙겨와 Baby Let's fall in love. I be like, you're my dope. I'm so high, baby work girl work like Rihanna~" After hearing this Irene chokes on her drink. Joy and Yeri send Jaeyeon a series of energetic high fives. Wendy and Seulgi are laughing so hard at Jaeyeon's response and Irenes reaction put together that they need a glass of air. lmao.

"Okay, I was irritated earlier but you are GOLDEN." Seulgi adds to Wendy's remark.

"And may I add, though you were joking, you have a very nice singing voice. If we made children they'd be the next Christina Agulera/John Legends." Now it was Wendy's turn to smack Seulgi in the back of her head. Meanwhile Irene may need to go to the ER, she had barely recovered from the last jokes and now she can't stop coughing.

"Ya'll is crazyyyyy. Didn't expect this much lively-ness from you guys and Irene-ssi needs some water." Irene began to try to stop her coughing, she has now decided she just won't drink her coffe while these kids are having this conversation. Or else, she may die. lol.

"So, Jae-ssi-- wait how old are you?" Joy stares in anticipation because she wants more friend her age.

"You actually won't believe this, and it'll sound weird." Joy frowns and the rest of RV are at attention.

 

A series of 'whys' and 'what is its' roll through Jae's ears and she knew what she was about to say was gonna cause a ruckus.

 

"Me and Yeri-ssi have the same exact birthday." Yeri gets defensive. It's also clear no one believes Jae.

"Liar, you're a fraud." Jae just simply shakes her head and pulls out her ID, making sure to cover up her full name and other details with her half full cup. Yeri reads, then frowns. Jae allows the ID (and cup) to make it's rounds around the table. RV just processes the fact that Jae is not a liar and that Yeri may or may not have a twin. lmao.

"Am not. But I'm far from related to you so don't think any further." Jaeyeon wasn't even born in Korea.

"Where were you--" Wendy starts.

"Greece." Wendy's eyes pop out.

"Beautiful Plaka to be exact. Mom was on a trip. I ended her vaycay." Seulgi and Irene google Plaka. (just like authornim lol)

"Omo. It is beautiful. Look Yeri. Look!" Yeri looks at the googled image, happier knowing her and Jae have no chance of being related.

"Can we ask CEOnim to send us there on vaycay too?" Irene makes a note in her phone to pass that message along, as she too want's to visit.

"Ahh. That's why you're so beautiful! LOOK WHERE YOU WERE BORN." Once again Seulgi gets popped in the head for being too straightforward. Making a small pout, she decides to just keep quiet.

"Anyways, you're younger than all of us. Well except Yeri. I would say we should find out the times you guys were born but who cares." Joy snorts. Yeri then interjects with a very thoughtful look upon her face.

"You know why we were having a bad day. So why were you having a bad day, or week as you said." Jae's annoyance threatens to come back, as she remembers her hellish week of stupid pointless interviews.

"I keep failing all my job interviews." Jaeyeon sadly reveals, making a deep pout. Seulgi can no longer contain herself, squealy loudly at the sight.

"That's the first time you've ever made a different expression since we've met today. Kyaaaaa, you're soo cuteee." Jaeyeon is known to have a constant 'resting face'. She doesn't do it on purpose but people don't give her too many reasons to smile. She's capable of doing little smirks here and there.

"Seulgi, you cannot be this affectionate with her already. You don't even know her real name." Irene once again, rolls her eyes. Seulgi just ignores her and continues to fan girl.

"Irene you liked it too. I saw you blush!" Wendy sticks her tongue out at her.

"Uh guys? I think your um, ex manager has finally left the building and he's freaking out. I think he thinks you guys left him." Jaeyeon being the only one still concious of her surroundings, she still knew there were eyes watching them, she still heard the whispers and she still felt like she should get away from these crazy chicks.

"Oh yeah, she's right. We have to go now." Irene stands up, rolling her eyes as she has to drag big baby bear Seulgi out of the coffee shop because she didn't want to leave Jae.

"But I don't wanna~ She's too cuteee. Don't do this unnie. At least let me take her with us~" As Seulgi's voice fades out of the store, Jae watched the girls board their van and leave safely without too much ruckus. Jae counts the money she hads left and decides she needs to lose some weight because she needed that money for groceries.

"Ehh, walking it is."


Yayyyyyy, an update finally. I literally did my best, even though this chapter (and another one) had just been sitting collecting dust. I'm not confident in it but if I went over 3000 words I was gonna pass out, I managed to get in 2500 or something. Hope you like it, happy reading!