five

What's in it for you?

“…They know that he’s working with us, but they don’t know what we know. He’s on his way over now.” The voice over the phone finished, talking over a pop song with the volume turned down in the background.

“Alright, keep circling around here and see if you can listen in when he leaves as well,” Ryeowook ordered while tapping the red button, locking the phone with skilled movements.

“Did you hear that?” He called, turning back to his computer. Two desks over, Yesung was lying sideways with one ear over his palm, the other wearing an earphone that had allowed him to listen to the call his younger brother just received.

“Mmm… so we’re getting a visitor?” He smirked. It looked out of place given that he was half-sprawled over his desk in what he deemed to be the 'most comfortable' position.

Ryeowook ignored him and continued. “Hyung, what should we do? Pretend not to know anything or…?” He carefully scanned the little boxes of video footage that filled up his screen.

Yesung rolled his eyes, letting them stay at the corner where they ended up.

“I don’t care what you do. He cannot know where Lee Dongha is,” Heechul replied while getting out of his chair. “I’ve got to go check on him. You two deal with Eunhyuk.” He threw them a look over his shoulder, then swung his head forwards, honey-orange locks being the last to leave the room.

Of the two men left, the younger groaned, muttering something about being left with ‘a single brain cell who did more harm than good and honestly he’d rather face Eunhyuk alone than do it with the brother he always avoided calling ‘hyung’’. The older (finally) sat up straight in his chair, styling his hair with both hands while giving out evil grins and constructing impossible plans, not noticing that he was in fact making his hair messier than before.

“Wookie, this is your chance to shine. Without Heechul-hyung here, even though you’re still not the oldest or the tallest—” Ryeowook had to hold himself back from throwing his pen like a dart to shut the other’s mouth “—I’ll step back and allow you freedom. I have faith in you, Wookie. Even if it’s the Eunhyuk that everyone 'admires and fears', I’m sure you can take him on and make him regret ever coming here.” He folded his arms together, proud of his younger brother’s yet-unattained achievements.

The younger man groaned again, protesting for a number of times so high he couldn’t keep count, how adversative he felt towards that nickname. 

“Don’t call me that, I don’t need your faith, don’t worry about me, and don’t call me that!” His voice unintentionally raised an octave. Yesung hadn’t heard him in this vocal range since that last time he had tried to give the shorter man a high five.

“So many don’ts.” He raised an eyebrow. “Can you say a different word?”

“Don’t keep pushing me, Yesung.” The young man with platinum orange hair took a deep breath. “I need to think about how to deal with this problem who is going to arrive at our door any second.”

“I thought you said don’t worry…” Yesung started. He stopped when the younger finally couldn’t resist a glare. The dark-haired man blinked twice, then slumped over his desk again, tilting the cardboard box beside him so that his pet could escape.

Ryeowook did not notice him, not because it was a habit by now, but because Bora had just sent a message saying that a certain Lee heir was at the front desk, demanding to see Kim Heechul. He told her to invite him up to their office, and then sat anxiously, touching his fingertips, waiting.

When the silence became unbearable, Ryeowook looked over at his second oldest brother, finding him petting his turtle’s shell with closed eyes.

Why would you something that feels like a rock?

He turned his head back. It wasn’t long before he looked over again.

Is he /sulking/?

He didn’t have time to go over and check on the emotional well-being of his brother, for at that moment the door sounded with three knocks, and despite how much he wanted to pretend that he wasn’t in here, the youngest Kim allowed the second oldest son of Lee Enterprises to come in.

“Long time no see, Kim Ryeowook. Where’s your older brother?”

The person whom the question was directed towards waited until Bora fully closed the door before he got up and walked around the table. Stopping in front of the other, he regretted making that decision immediately after he found himself staring at the top of Eunhyuk’s tie. He cleared his throat for confidence.

“Nice to meet you too, Eunhyuk-ssi. My oldest brother is out at the moment. I’m sure whatever it is you’re here for, I can take care of it.” He held out a hand, dropping it when the gesture wasn’t returned.

Eunhyuk looked downwards at him. Whether or not he purposefully intended to seem condescending, it was unavoidable with their height difference.

Suddenly, he took a step forward and raised an arm.

Ryeowook’s eyes widened by a fraction, debating whether to just block it or attack the taller man with his other hand as well.

But Eunhyuk simply placed his arm around one of his shoulders, patting the center of his back like an old friend. He must be a good actor, because his smile reached his eyes.

“Why are you so tense? Relax, I won’t bite.” He chuckled.

Right, you won’t, you’ll swallow me whole.

“I’d love to have a chat with the smartest son of Kim Corporations, but I must apologize, there are some things I need to talk with Kim Heechul about. In private.” He squeezed his other shoulder, and Ryeowook’s hands grew even slipperier.

“And who told you that he’s the smartest son?” A voice sounded from behind a large computer screen. Yesung lifted his head from its previous position so that both persons could now see him.

“Ah, Yesung, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.” Eunhyuk’s foot turned to point towards him. “How have you been? Still raising pet turtles, I see?”

Yesung snorted. What a load of bull. It was impossible that Eunhyuk did not notice he was also in the room. There was a rumour, one time proven in front of his very own eyes, that no matter how well a person thought they could hide, no living human could exist unnoticed under the eyes of this Lee heir. Dead ones, on the other hand, were another story.

“What have you come here for? If it’s not possible to reveal to us, then I’m afraid we’ll just have to meet again next time.” His tone was cold. He wasted no time with the formalities.

“It’s alright, I can wait for Heechul. Unless he’s seeing someone very important right now…?” Eunhyuk asked suggestively, his hand tightening.

Ryeowook looked towards his older brother for help. He was wrong… no, he was right all along. He didn’t stand a chance with this devil.

“Everyone my brother sees is important. Now if you’ll excuse us, we have work to do.” Yesung looked at him straight in the eye. It was as if electricity sparks could be seen between them, threatening to ignite.

“Right. Well then, please tell Kim Heechul that my whole family sends their regards.” Eunhyuk breathed a laugh through his nose, one corner of his plump lips curving upwards. Before he left, he held out a hand to Ryeowook, whose hand subconsciously raised to meet with his. “I look forward to seeing you two next time.” He spoke towards the shorter.

The door clicked shut, leaving two beating hearts inside.

“You did great, Wookie, I’m proud of you!” Yesung slumped forward once again, into his preferred position. “It’s all over now. He won’t bother us again at least for a while.” He reassured.

“Don't… call me that.” Ryeowook replied weakly.

He walked slowly back to his seat, feeling lead in both his legs and heart. Once he sat down, the young man gazed anxiously in his older brother’s direction, though he was unable to see the head that was hidden behind his screen.

Finally, after a long time, he made up his mind and soundlessly rolled open the piece of paper that had been slipped into his hand.

 

*

 

He had been in total darkness for at least 24 hours. His stomach had started to growl, then quieted in defeat when it realised nothing was going to be done to satiate its hunger. That had happened twice. Apart from visits to the bathroom, all other human freedom had been taken away from him.

He could do nothing but wait patiently.

Finally, there was a change in his environment, apart from the usual bored, crude voice of his captor. He sounded especially rough this time, and even seemed to be struggling. After another few grunts, some heavy sounds, and a dozen more curses, the metallic door shut with a clang, and silence fell around Sekyu once again.

“Who’s there?” A voice called.

Sekyu stayed quiet. He knew the other had heard his breathing, but he couldn’t expose himself yet. Not when that voice sounded so… familiar.

“What have you done to Sunwoo?” The voice came again.

By now, it was too obvious.

Still blindfolded, Sekyu’s lips rose into a smile. “What do you think I’ve done with him?”

He could almost see the other man—Park Haeyoung, he recognized by now—turning his head towards the direction of his voice, his forehead creased in his own characteristic way.

“…Sekyu? Lee Sekyu? … Never thought it would be you.” Haeyoung said, almost disgusted. “What do you want from me? From us?”

“Oh, you know very well what I want,” Sekyu replied without having any idea what information the other could offer. It seemed like this imprisonment was turning out to be not so bad, after all.

“Let go of my brother first, and we can talk,” Haeyoung stated. “Otherwise, I don’t mind taking you down with me.” Sekyu imagined him sticking his chest out and squaring his shoulders.

He laughed loudly. It was one of those villainous laughs that only appeared in movies, but he was, understandably, not the best actor.

“Take me down? Park Haeyoung, tell me how you’re going to take me down as well when you’re still tied up and blindfolded.” He mocked. “I don’t have much time… I can’t promise what my men will do to that youthful, fair-skinned boy while they’re waiting. It would be a shame to see red on that skin, don’t you think?” 

“You…” Haeyoung gritted his teeth. He tried one last time to break free of the ropes, but it was no use.

“Alright, what do you want to know.”

 

*

 

[Unknown sender]: this is your last chance. i need your decision

[Unknown sender]: i have information about your brothers

[Unknown sender]: alright, it was your choice. good luck finding them while they’re still alive

 

In a darkened room, closed curtains blocked all source of light from the outside, reflecting the hopelessness of the boy inside sitting on the floor with a laptop on top of folded legs.

Beside him, the phone screen that had lit up three times consecutively was now black. Notifications of unread messages and missed calls from the same number had filled the entire screen, but the boy didn't look like he had any intention of responding right now.

He skimmed through hundreds of documents without finding what he was looking for. Just as he was about to give up, a noise made him freeze in unknown fear.

Someone was knocking on his door.

He swore he had locked the front door.

“Sunwoo? I know you’re in there. Come out before I have to go inside to find you.”

He scrambled up silently, thoughts flying around his head. He was on the second floor. The window was big enough for him to climb through. There was a tree just outside the window.

“Sunwoo? Come on, don’t make me do this. There're so many keys here, it will be a pain in the to go through them all again.”

He clicked the window latch open and prayed that the person didn’t hear. Only one foot had climbed onto the sill when the voice sounded again.

“Oh, look at that. The first key and it fits! Don’t say I didn’t warn you, Sunwoo. Later you’ll have wished you opened the door first.” The voice was amused.

A click.

The door pushed open.

 

 

 


a/n:

damnnnnnnnnnnnn this was such a fun chapter to write!! i love yewook’s awkward, hilarious relationship- they’re my second pairing in sj because of this moment from 9:49-9:57 xD lmao i'm still cracking up over it after all these years... ahahaha......

and haeyoung.... haha missxielan should've seen this coming. really. she dared to touch my sekyu and i was not going to stay quiet about that :) so, here you go you made me write about the parks and i'm having real. fun with them :) because i love tension torture pain hmmm i actually went too easy on bittermelon face... oh well i'll make up for it next (next) chapter 

you should be glad i didn't do anything to sunwoo's lips, tbh