ch 5

The hidden ones

Leila nudges Charles to hurry up with tying his shoes so that they can leave the store. She uses her peripherals to check if the boy-Kai was there or any of his friends. Thank god, she thought. Must be still at the back. 

 

"I better not hear any more complaints or favors from you in a while." Leila scolds as she brushes the tiny rocks and leaves with her feet. They walk a few more minutes before reaching the station, many people are gathered for the next bus to come. Charles and Leila decide to wait by the far left of everyone else. The sky is no longer a light and colorful beach blue but a dark and navy one. 

 

"Let's move closer and get on this bus stop, I forgot my hat today," Leila whispers as they apologetically move past a few people. She wanted to get home early to rest but also before the symptoms kick in. 

 

 

Leila opens her eyes and stares at the ceiling and slowly turns to her side. She traces a line back and forth on her pillow with her fingers effortlessly as she thinks about today's first day at work. Looking out the window the small berry tree  sheds leaves as the wind's intensity continues to fluctuate. She sighs and turns back to face the ceiling. 

 

 

Why was his picture up there? She thought. He can't be a star, he's wandering everywhere. 

and star girl? she laughed. What does that mean?

 

She shakes her head disappointedly. She knows she has other things to worry about, like how she'll do today at work. Work. 

 

She quickly got up and the strands of her hair fell to the front of her face. 

200.gif

"What am I going to wear?" She taps her finger on her chin as she looks through her suitcase. She still hasn't gotten time to fix up her room properly. 

 

In the end, she chooses to wear black fitted jeans, a white blouse, wedged black leather shoes, and straightened her hair. 

 

"Are you ready for today?" Her mother reaches to the upper shelf in the kitchen and grabs the peanut butter jar. 

 

"Yeah, it's really nothing." Leila lied. Her mother smiled and rolled her eyes. 

 

"Where's Charles?" She asks almost finishing her glass of water. 

 

"He went out for a run, in this weather too," her mom scoffed. "He's crazy." 

 

Leila nodded and handed her a black pick guard. "It's for his guitar, he almost left it in the store yesterday." 

 

"Did you use the credit card to buy it?" Her mom asks, furrowing her eyebrows. "He can track is if you used it!" 

 

"I'm not stupid!" Leila raises her voice. "I transferred it to a different card so he can't know, don't worry." She lowered her voice this time. 

 

"Give me the card, the one he gave you." Her mother seems annoyed and startled at the same time. 

 

Leila didn't want to go to work on the first day with a bad mood, but it's too late. She reached into her bag frustratedly and slammed the c add on the table before walking to the door. 

 

Her mom walks behind her to catch up but she's already too late. "Both of them, such bad tempers." 

 


 

Leila walks back and forth in front of the building. She stops midway in front of the window. Squinting her eyes she can see the same pink haired lady at the front reception, and two guards by the front lobby door as well. 

 

"Hello it's my first day at my job, where do I sign in." Leila whispers to herself. Yeah, that sounds right she thought. She took a deep breath and opened the door. She kept her head up and walked past the two men and reached the front desk. 

 

The pink haired lady looks up and smiles remembering her. 

 

"H-hello, my job is my first day-" Leila blurted out.

 

The lady looked confused and asked for her to repeat herself. 

 

Ugh I ruined it she thought. "Sorry, it's my first day at my job as a cleaner- um, where do I sign in?" She managed to say while still turning red. 

 

The lady smiled and asked her to follow her. She walked into the elevator, she noticed the lady had a card that would open the elevator and soon she realized she would get one too. 

 

getting off on the 5th floor, she follows her to the right. As they walk past Leila sneaks glances at the vacant rooms, bathrooms, and one large dance studio. She could tell there were people inside but the lady was walking fast and she had to keep up. 

 

Getting to the end of the hall they walk in together to what seems like a locker room as well as a place for cleaning equipment. 

 

"Your locker number is 546" she hands her a lock and card. "You need this for elevators and access to rooms." 

 

The lady explained that this would be where she signed in and signed out, she would use the brooms, mops, sponges, sprays and all other cleaning tools from here. 

 

"Today is your first day and the other girl last time got fired because she stalked and bothered the members at our building." The lady looked down and stared back at Leila. 

 

"We don't tolerate that type of behavior, and we expect you to work here as long as you can until this place is spotless. Many performers and producers will visit so we need to keep a good impression. I hope you understand." The lady seems a bit sterner than before. 

 

Leila processes for a few seconds and smiles. "Yes of course. I will work hard and do my best. You will not be disappointed." Leila manages a fake but cunningly sincere voice. 

 

The lady dropped her stern body language and her face went back to soft. "That's great. We can go to lunch together on lunch break if you would like." She offered and Leila widened her eyes. 

 

"Yes, that sounds nice." Leila smiled. 

 

The lady left the room and Leila let out a sigh of relief. She turned and looked for her locker, she kept walking past each locker. Why are they all occupied? She asked herself. She finally assumed that there were probably cleaners for each floor. 

 

But then she flashed back to what the lady told her. 

 

"You will be cleaning all floors today- including bathrooms." 

tumblr_n0t0ojm1Tg1r0ti6po1_250.gif

Then is it members who have these lockers? She asked herself. She stopped when she found the locker 546. She placed her jacket and cardigan into the locker, as well as her bag, keeping her phone in her pocket. 

 

Just as she clicks in to lock the locker, the noises of laughs and yelling get closer and closer. She knew people were coming in. 

 

Looking to her left she quickly runs behind the wall and tucks herself into a vacant shelf space near a locker aisle. She can still see who's coming in or out. 

 

"Yehet." She hears and the laughter increases. She almost recognizes the voices, she can't dare to look- not yet. 

 

"Do you think they'll let us off tomorrow? I'm so tired and hungry." She can't recognize this voice, it's a little higher than the voice she hears before. 

 

"No. We already slacked off yesterday." She hears the voice she remembers in her head and the vivid mage of Kai in the store appears in her mind. 

tumblr_inline_nmbrzprmvq1ruolbv.gif

 

Slowly and cautiously she turns her head enough to see him midway through putting on a shirt. Almost gasping she closes and closes her eyes. 

 

The boy stares in midair for a second looks to the corner of his eye and the corners of his mouth turn. 

 

Does he know I'm here? She thought. Her hands were shaking. 

 

The boy looks down and adjusts his black shirt. His shoulders were broad and his arms seemed bigger than the two other boys- same boys he always seems to be with. He had a more reserved masculine body, even with the ice blonde hair. 

 

He looks up and smirks more noticeably this time. 

 

"Let's go." He says closing his locker. 

 

Leila closes her eyes until she hears the foot steps fading away.