ch 1

The hidden ones

Leila wakes up to the sound of the soft breeze passing through her hair and the scent of fresh coffee and croissants- enough to make her stomach grumble and effortlessly push herself back to a sitting position. 

"it's about time." Her mother places the coffee tray and bags of pastries onto to the empty passenger's seat and turns to adjust her seat belt once again. Her long black hair is tousled to the back of her shoulders, still tense and rigid from the long hours she drove. Beyond that, she seems comfortable and almost content, she's on her way to a new and hopefully better life than before. 

"smells good, is it Tim Hortons?" Leila manages to mumble as she pats down her hair and picks up her light jacket from under her feet. It's Canada. She's lived here for years yet still hasn't gotten used to the reoccurring cold weather. 

She turns to her side, a boy, looks almost 20- black hair, protruding lips, and clenched jaw. Even when sleeping he's got his jaw clenched thought Leila. 

 

tumblr_nto8gsdd2u1sh13tuo1_400.gif

"Hey," she reaches and nudges him. "wake up." 

Instead of waking, he turns his cheek and tilts his head to the window and lets out a sigh, could almost be passed as a groan. Leila sneers. "let him be, he hasn't slept like this since Wednesday. All he did was play video games on the plane." Her mother says, letting out a chuckle.

Leila sighs, "I just worry about him. He's been off lately."

"I worry too, about you both actually. Are you sure you're okay with this? We can always just go back or even out the count-" Her mother says before she interrupts.

"Mom. I'm okay trust me, it's gonna be different now." Leila says as she reaches to the front and bites into the croissants that stayed warm in the bag.

"Okay." Her mother smiles to the front mirror, and Leila manages to smile back.


Leila slams the car door shut behind her and looks up to view the house. looks bigger than the last house in Windsor, but this one looks brand new. Polished black and grey colours on the roof and sides give off the aura of a modern style house, especially the large glass windows.

"dibs on the largest room," a soft but fatigued voice comes from behind. "and thank you so much for leaving me a croissant." he says sarcastically.

Charles. He's annoying, child-like, tempered, but Leila has grown to love her little brother. 

He walks around the car and jumps onto the front steps, brushing past Leila and she pulls him back.

"Here, you idiot." she places what seems to be a flat croissant she took out of her pocket. Charles looks at Leila up and down, tilts his head and smirks. "thank you." and walks towards the front door of the house.

Leila continues to stare at the house, this is where she'll be for the next four years or even more. Her thoughts are interrupted when she steps forward almost tripping, regaining balance she turns to see who it was.

A boy, tall, hair sleeked back but also messy from running she thought, and long black jacket matching his dressy shirt and pants-must be a rich pretty boy she thought. 

The boy looks behind her, panting, tightening his jaw and turns to look at her, realising what he did. "Sorry, watch your step." was all he could say and continued to run.

Watch your step?! Who the hell are you she thought. She turns to her left and makes way for two other boys running past her.

She couldn't catch how they looked like, she didn't care enough, all she worried about was how she was going to fit in and not get noticed in this neighbourhood.