Chapter 3

Life with 12 Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are you mad at me?” I asked as I pulled the chair from the school desk in front of Ha Rin and sat down facing her.

 

It was the Monday following the weekend of that disastrous party and I had the distinct feeling that Ha Rin was avoiding me. She didn’t return any of my texts or calls the next day and even ignored me when I waved to her when I got to class.

 

“What are you talking about?” She asked with the air of someone who was perpetually bored.

 

“You’ve been avoiding my calls all weekend and you didn’t even wait for me to walk to school together. What gives?” I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms at her. “And I’m not leaving until I get an answer.”

 

If looks could kill, I’d probably be dead by the looks of Ha Rin’s glare but I didn’t falter and glared right back at her. I thought this was a bit unfair as it should be me who was angry with her for ditching me at that stupid party to play hanky panky with some guy.

 

This glaring match between us lasted for a few minutes before Ha Rin finally backed down. She took a deep breath before looking from side-to-side to make sure no one would overhear us. Luckily enough the classroom was almost completely empty as most of the students had already left for lunch.

 

“Yes, I am mad at you.” Ha Rin hissed at me. “Do you realize what you did?”

 

“What I did?” I raised my voice in surprise. “If you were too buzzed to remember, you were the one who ditched me at that party!”

 

“SHHH!!” She panicked and quickly put her fingers to my mouth to shush me. “Keep your voice down unless you want to be busted!”

 

I shut my mouth and shook my head.

 

Ha Rin huffed. “At least you have the sense to remember that.”

“What is up with like, seriously?” I exclaimed in frustration. “What on earth did I do that was so bad that I have to be given the silent treatment.”

 

“You totally ruined my chances with that guy! And just when things were getting good too!”

 

Say what now?

 

I raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry, are you saying that you’re mad at me from stopping you from hooking up with some unknown guy that you met at a party of strangers in which you ditched me after five minutes of being there? Are you seriously for real, Yoon Ha Rin?!”

 

Ha Rin frowned, her forehead wrinkling. “Well, when you put it like that-”

 

Oh god, she was actually seriously about this. What did I do in my past life to land me such an infuriating best friend?

 

“There is no other way to put it!” I said, throwing my hands up in an “I give up” gesture. “You were the one who left me alone in the middle of a party of complete strangers when you knew how I feel about attending parties and now you’re getting your in a twist because I interrupted a hook-up when I needed my best friend?!”

 

I threw a glare at her. “You’re honestly the worst best friend ever.”

 

Apparently, my words finally got through to her because she quickly put down her angry façade and changed to a more apologetic look.

 

Finally.

 

“All right, all right. I’m sorry about that.” She said guiltily, biting her lip. “I didn’t mean to leave you that day. And you’re right I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you for such a stupid think.”

 

Ha Rin let out a dry chuckle and averted her eyes. “I guess I was just frustrated but you were right anyway, I should’ve listened to you. The guy didn’t even call me or even try to contact me after that night so hah. Joke’s on me, right?”

“Wow. I’m surprised you managed to slip your phone number in during that exchange-”

 

“Don’t even.” She said, glaring playfully at me. I couldn’t help but to chuckle. “I gave him my number when we were still talking at the bar.”

 

I rubbed my chin. “You guys were only talking for like 10 minutes and you already gave him your number? You sure fall quickly Ha Rin.”

 

She furrowed her eyebrows. “Uh no, we were talking for a solid half an hour before he invited me to his room. What are you talking about?”

 

Hold on, what? Did I lose my sense of time or something? I’m pretty sure I didn’t spend that long fumbling around and looking for her in the dark. Or did I?

 

Ugh, I’m getting old.

 

“Never mind about that.” I rolled my eyes. “But you have to promise me something to make up for last weekend. No more party crashing in Shinchon-dong. Ever. Or maybe we should make i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter